- [C]移动,运动,活动 moving or being moved; action; activity
- [C]动作,姿势 a particular act of changing position or place
- [C]调动,调遣 act of changing position, especially as a military manoeuvre
- [C]动向,趋向,倾向 a general feeling, way of thinking, acting, etc. notdirected by any particular person or group, towards sth new, or away from sth that exists; trend of society
- [C]乐章 any of the main division in a long musical work
- a change of position that does not entail a change of location;
"the reflex motion of his eyebrows revealed his surprise"
"movement is a sign of life"
"an impatient move of his hand"
- the act of changing location from one place to another;
"police controlled the motion of the crowd"
"the movement of people from the farms to the cities"
"his move put him directly in my path"
- a natural event that involves a change in the position or location of something
- a group of people with a common ideology who try together to achieve certain general goals;
"he was a charter member of the movement"
"politicians have to respect a mass movement"
"he led the national liberation front"
- a major self-contained part of a symphony or sonata;
"the second movement is slow and melodic"
- a series of actions advancing a principle or tending toward a particular end;
"he supported populist campaigns"
"they worked in the cause of world peace"
"the team was ready for a drive toward the pennant"
"the movement to end slavery"
"contributed to the war effort"
- an optical illusion of motion produced by viewing a rapid succession of still pictures of a moving object;
"the cinema relies on apparent motion"
"the succession of flashing lights gave an illusion of movement"
- a euphemism for defecation;
"he had a bowel movement"
- a general tendency to change (as of opinion);
"not openly liberal but that is the trend of the book"
"a broad movement of the electorate to the right"
- the driving and regulating parts of a mechanism (as of a watch or clock);
"it was an expensive watch with a diamond movement"
- the act of changing the location of something;
"the movement of cargo onto the vessel"
- If you did so, you would lose the movement of the knee.
- The Trade Union Movement works to obtain higher wages and better conditions.
- The leadership of the movement are in agreement on this issue.
- Her every movement is very graceful.
- He had an organized economy of movement.
- A slow theme introduces the first movement.
- The first movement of the symphony is beautiful.
Downward movement is much faster than upward one.
I detected a slight movement in the undergrowth.
A good hunting dog is alert to every sound and movement around.
The periodic movement of the moon round the earth takes 28 days.
The movements of machines are completely automatic, you only need to start and stop the machines.
The revival of the railroad service will be immensely beneficial for the speedy movement of passengers and cargo.
With a grandiose movement, he pointed out all the land belonged to him.
We were amused at his funny movements in doing morning exercises.
A boy who has good manners stands up in an automatic movement when a lady enters the room.
A sparrow is very alert in its movements.
They started a movement to clean the city.
Pacifist movements gathered strength in Norway.
This work laid the theoretical basis for international working-class movement.
The conference declared its intent to organize a national movement.
Troop movements can be observed from space by a satellite.
Two men were sent out to scout the enemy's movements.
The scouts are very alert in their movements.
The policeman became increasingly suspicious of his movements.
The police have been keeping a close watch on the suspect's movements.
The old man thinks that the movement towards greater freedom for women has brought them too much freedom.
In the west some people think that ours is an age marked by a strong movement toward materialism.
There's a movement towards simple designs in clothing these days.
- avoid a movement 回避运动,逃避运动
- begin a movement 开始一项活动
- control a movement 控制运动
- direct a movement 指导运动
- end a movement 结束运动,终止运动
- enter the movement 参加这一项运动
- launch a movement 开展活动
- make a movement 做个动作
- oppose a movement 反对一项运动
- organize a movement 组织活动
- participate in a movement 参加运动
- push a movement forward 推动运动向前发展
- start a movement 开始一项活动
- stop a movement 停止活动
- support a movement 支持一项运动
- take part in a movement 参加运动
- perform a movement 演奏一个乐章
- back-and-forth movement 往复运动
- forward movement 前进
- main movement 主流
- patriotic movement 爱国运动
- political movement 政治运动
- revolutionary movement 革命运动
- setting-up movement 健身运动
- social movement 社会运动
- strong movement 强大的运动
- violent movement 暴力运动,猛烈的动作
- world-wide movement 世界范围的运动
- air movements 空中活动
- civil-rights movement 民权运动
- class movement 阶级运动
- consumer movement 消费者运动
- enemy movements 敌军的动静
- labor movement 劳工运动
- mass movement 群众运动
- peace movement 和平运动
- ship movement 船舶的运行
- student movement 学生运动
- troop movements 军队的调动
- woman movement 妇女运动
Movements of the land..brought about by the comparatively sudden action of subterranean forces.出自：T. H. Huxley
He bowed without movement: he suggested a bow without actually executing it.出自：G. Vidal
The only movement was the flickering of the fire.出自：M. Hughes
Delilah..cutting off his hair with quick, nervous movements.出自：A. Aronson
Specimens were collected immediately after a bowel movement.出自：Lancet
- movement的基本意思是“动”,如移动,运动,活动,调动。指具体的、保持一定的方向的、有规律的运动; 也可指群众性的运动,特指政治、社会或文化思想方面开展的时间较长的、范围较广的、影响较大的运动。
- movement, motion, move
这三个词的共同意思是“运动”。其区别是：1.movement一般指具体动作; motion则主要指抽象的、与静对立的“动”,不管是自己在动还是受外力而动。motion还可指位置的移动,也可指条件的改变或一系列运动的各个过程。多用于哲学或自然科学文献中。例如:We study the laws of motion.我们研究运动的规律。If a thing is in motion, it is not at rest.如果一个物体在运动,它就不是处于静止状态。2.movement强调运动保持一定的方向,并且是有规律的,而motion则没有此含义。3.move多指一次具体的动作或改变本身所在位置的移动,也用来指下棋中的一步或交涉、斗争中的一着。move多具有明确的目的性。例如:The detectives are watching his every move.警探在注视着他的一举一动。Their next move on their tour will be from Dover to London.他们旅行的下一步将是从多佛去伦敦。When the hostess made a move from the table, all the guests arose and followed her to the drawing room.当女主人离开餐桌时,所有的客人都起立跟着她来到客厅。The next move is yours.下一步棋该你走了。
- movement, campaign
1.movement意思是群众性的运动,特指政治、社会或文化思想方面开展的时间较长的、范围较广的、影响较大的运动。campaign本义是“战役”,引申则表示为达到某一种特定目标而开展的一连串有计划的活动、宣传或运动。例如:We've started a movement against drug-taking.我们开展了一场反吸毒的运动。The country launched a national campaign against corruption.那个国家发起了一场全国性的反贪污运动。2.与movement相比, campaign的目标更单一、持续的时间较短,但可能具有更大的轰动性。3.campaign还常指竞选活动。例如:In his campaign speech he blasted the opposition.他在竞选演说中猛烈地抨击他的对手。The campaign succeeded and he won the election.他在竞选中获胜。
- ☆ 14世纪晚期进英入语，直接源自古法语的movement，意为运动。
- movement:movement n. 运动, 动作, 运转, 乐章习惯用语in the movement 跟着潮流前进, 不落后, 符合时代潮流…