- 连打，敲打，拍打，击打， 猛击
- vi. (心脏等)跳动 move regularly
- vt. & vi. 接连地打击 hit again and again
- vt. 打败 win a fight or game against others
- [C]敲打,敲打声 a blow or a stroke made again and again
- [U]跳动,悸动 a single pulse
- [S]节拍,拍子 a measurement of time or accent in music
- [U]常去之地 an area or place regularly visited or traveled through
a regular route for a sentry or policeman;
"in the old days a policeman walked a beat and knew all his people by name"
the rhythmic contraction and expansion of the arteries with each beat of the heart;
"he could feel the beat of her heart"
the basic rhythmic unit in a piece of music;
"the piece has a fast rhythm"
"the conductor set the beat"
a single pulsation of an oscillation produced by adding two waves of different frequencies; has a frequency equal to the difference between the two oscillations
a member of the beat generation; a nonconformist in dress and behavior
the sound of stroke or blow;
"he heard the beat of a drum"
(prosody) the accent in a metrical foot of verse
a regular rate of repetition;
"the cox raised the beat"
a stroke or blow;
"the signal was two beats on the steam pipe"
the act of beating to windward; sailing as close as possible to the direction from which the wind is blowing
"was all in at the end of the day"
"so beat I could flop down and go to sleep anywhere"
"bushed after all that exercise"
"I'm dead after that long trip"
come out better in a competition, race, or conflict;
"Agassi beat Becker in the tennis championship"
"We beat the competition"
"Harvard defeated Yale in the last football game"
give a beating to; subject to a beating, either as a punishment or as an act of aggression;
"Thugs beat him up when he walked down the street late at night"
"The teacher used to beat the students"
"beat on the door"
"beat the table with his shoe"
"Her heart was beating fast"
shape by beating;
"beat swords into ploughshares"
make a rhythmic sound;
"Rain drummed against the windshield"
"The drums beat all night"
glare or strike with great intensity;
"The sun was beating down on us"
move with a thrashing motion;
"The bird flapped its wings"
"The eagle beat its wings and soared high into the sky"
sail with much tacking or with difficulty;
"The boat beat in the strong wind"
"beat the egg whites"
"beat the cream"
strike (a part of one's own body) repeatedly, as in great emotion or in accompaniment to music;
"beat one's breast"
"beat one's foot rhythmically"
"Reading beats watching television"
"This sure beats work!"
"beat the subway fare"
make a sound like a clock or a timer;
"the clocks were ticking"
"the grandfather clock beat midnight"
move with a flapping motion;
"The bird's wings were flapping"
indicate by beating, as with the fingers or drumsticks;
"Beat the rhythm"
move with or as if with a regular alternating motion;
"the city pulsated with music and excitement"
make by pounding or trampling;
"beat a path through the forest"
produce a rhythm by striking repeatedly;
"beat the drum"
strike (water or bushes) repeatedly to rouse animals for hunting
beat through cleverness and wit;
"I beat the traffic"
"She outfoxed her competitors"
be a mystery or bewildering to;
"This beats me!"
"Got me--I don't know the answer!"
"a vexing problem"
"This question really stuck me"
wear out completely;
"This kind of work exhausts me"
"He was all washed up after the exam"
- His father beat the disobedient boy.
- If we don't prepare for the speech contest, they will beat us.
- He's alive；his heart is still beating.
- They beat drums to cheer up the players.
- Had it not been for the PLA, we wouldn't have been able to beat the flood.
- Every member of the band must follow the beat.
- We heard the beat of a drum.
- When you're close to me, I can feel your heart beat.
- I am completely beat.
- My pulse beats normally.
- His heart was still beating.
- At 2:25 p.m. his heart ceased to beat.
- His heart stopped beating.
- After the injection his heart began to beat again.
- The drums beat loudly.
- These eggs beat well.
- The bird is beating feebly.
- The rain was beating on the windows.
- She tried to beat the mosquitoes away.
- He was beating a drum.
- Somebody was beating the door.
- His father beat him for being disobedient.
- It is wrong to beat others.
- I can beat you in swimming.
- His policy was to beat each enemy in turn.
- Only by working together can we beat the Sand Tiger.
- Their team beat ours by a large score.
- They beat us in a match.
- This book beats all others in length.
- A problem has beaten me.
- He beat his way through the crowd.
- The soldiers had to beat a way through the undergrowth.
- The police beat the town for the fugitive.
- The poor boy was beaten until he was black and blue.
- They were frequently cursed and beaten by the employer.
- The aggressors were badly beaten.
- Are you beaten by a problem like that?
- He beat his wife to let her obey his orders.
- She beat the quilt to make it soft.
- She was beating the rug to clean it.
- They beat hard a big drum to urge the soldiers on.
- Jack beat Tom to win the game.
- Father beat Bob to punish him.
- Let's beat our brains to find a solution.
- It beats me that they turned down the invitation.
- It beats me how he did it.
- They beat the silver thin.
- Tom's boss often beats him black and blue.
- The enemy soldier beat the peasant bloody.
- Can you beat him dead at one blow?
- He was beaten black and blue by the employer.
- They beat the pickpocket bleeding.
- It was one beat of the drum every 60 seconds.
- We heard the beat of a drum.
- The room resounded with each beat of the gong.
- The heart makes from seventy to eighty beats a minute.
- His heart beats were getting weaker.
- A good dancer never misses a beat.
- Every member of the band must follow the beat very closely.
- The music had the familiar beat of a waltz.
- English grammar is out of my beat.
- She goes out on the City Hall beat for the evening paper at 3 every afternoon.
- beat about (v.+adv.)
焦急搜索,找寻 search anxiously
The swimmer beat about in the water, trying not to drown.
After being in the water for six hours, the ship beat about and sailed for home.
出航六小时后,那船掉转船头,开始返航。beat about for sb/sth
They were beating about for him.
The prisoner beat about for a way of escape.
They found the book at last, but not before they beat about for nearly a day.
We beat about for a solution to the problem.
- beat about〔around〕 the bush
拐弯抹角；旁敲侧击delay talking about or considering the most important part of a subject
- beat against( v.+prep. )
敲打,甩打; 连续敲打 beat (sb/sth) by hitting it on (sb/sth hard); hit (sb/sth) repeatedly
beat against sb/sth
The wind and rain were beating against us.
The rain was beating against the windows.
The ship beats against the wind.
这船逆风前进。beat sth against sth
My grandmother used to clean her mats by beating them against the wall of the house.
- beat at( v.+prep. )
在某人擅长的方面胜过他 do better than sb in his own field of activity
beat at sth
The visitors beat at the door until he answered.
来客使劲敲门,直到他应了才停止。beat sb at sth
The other village always beats our team at cricket.
另一个村的板球队在比赛中总是击败我们队。beat sb at sth
By winning a prize for writing,Tom beat his teacher at his won game.
- beat back( v.+adv. )
击退 force to go back
beat sb/sth ⇔ back
They beat back the enemy's attack.
The soldiers beat back all the attacks of the enemy.
They were beaten back.
- beat down( v.+adv. )
使沮丧,使失望 be depress or dispirited
beat down (on sth)
The sun beats down all day.
The sun beat down mercilessly on the dry earth.
阳光无情地照射在干旱的大地上。beat sb/sth ⇔ down
The heavy rain beat all the crops down.
He was beaten down by his opponent.
The crops were beaten down by heavy rain.
The wheat had been beaten down by the rain.
All their defenses were beaten down by the tanks.
他们的所有防御工事都被坦克给毁坏了。beat sb/sth ⇔ down
Can we beat down the price?
Competition should beat the price down.
He wanted fifteen cents but I beat down the price to ten.
The man was asking ￡5 for the dress, but I beat him down to ￡4.50.
He wanted ￡800 for the car but I beat him down to ￡600.
那部车他索价800镑,但我把他的价钱杀到600镑。beat sb/sth ⇔ down
They beat down every attempt to liberalize the press.
他们压制了一切新闻报道自由化的意图。beat sb/sth ⇔ down
Until his friend's arrival,Tom was thoroughly beaten down and wretched.
- beat in( v.+adv. )
把(某人)打伤; 把(某物)砸坏 wound or damage (sb or sth) by hitting
- beat into( v.+prep. )
灌输,反复教给 teach repeatedly
- beat it
跑开，滚开go away (in a hurry); get out quickly
- beat off( v.+adv. )
击退,打退(敌人等) be able to drive (an enemy, etc.) back
beat sb/sth ⇔ off
The citizens beat off the first attack but later were defeated.
We had to beat off two nasty little dogs before we could get to the door.
The old man tried to beat the mosquitoes off.
We beat our enemies' heads off in the fight.
The enemy's attack was beaten off.
- beat out( v.+adv. )
筋疲力尽 feel tired
beat sth ⇔ out
The local people had beaten out a path through the forest.
The dish was made of silver, beaten out by hand.
这盘子是银制的,是手工打造的。beat out sth on sth
He beat out a tune on a tin can.
Beat out that tune on a drum.
The natives send news over long distances by beating out a message on a hollow log.
土著人用敲击空心木杆的办法向远方传送消息。beat sb/sth ⇔ out
All the people from the village gathered branches and beat the fire out.
全村人都敛集树枝,把火扑灭了。beat sb ⇔ out
She was thoroughly beaten out by the work.
- beat to( v.+prep. )
抢先于(某人)达到目标 defeat (sb) by reaching (an aim) first
- beat up( v.+adv. )
〈美俚〉痛殴,毒打(某人); 突然袭击 wound (sb) severely by hitting
When a favourable wind came, we were able to beat up.
风一顺,我们就能扬帆行驶。beat sth ⇔ up
Beat up the eggs before you add the flour.
She beat the eggs up.
她把鸡蛋打好了。beat sb/sth ⇔ up
They charged in and started beating us up.
Order was received, that we should make a night march and beat up the enemy's quarters.
Be careful not to be beaten up by the enemy.
- get a beat on
抢(某人)上风 get win
- in beat
合拍 follow the beat
- off one's beat
超出某人熟悉的范围 out of place of sb well know
- on the beat
在巡逻中 be on patrol duty
- beat a carpet 拍打地毯
- beat a drought 战胜旱灾
- beat a drum 击鼓
- beat a military march 奏军队进行曲
- beat a path 劈出一条路来
- beat a record 打破纪录,打破前例
- beat a retreat 仓皇撤退,逃走,打退堂鼓
- beat a snake 把蛇打死
- beat a table 捶桌子
- beat a tree 拍打树让果子掉下来
- beat all others in length 比其他的都长
- beat chalk dust 拍打粉笔灰
- beat drums and gongs 敲锣打鼓
- beat flies 拍打苍蝇
- beat one's brains 冥思苦想,苦苦思索
- beat one's breast 捶胸悲叹
- beat one's foot 以脚跺地
- beat one's gums 〈美俚〉唠叨,饶舌
- beat one's head against a wall 碰壁,徒劳无益
- beat one's way 〈美俚〉无票乘车
- beat sb black and blue 被打得浑身青紫
- beat sb hollow 完全胜过
- beat the air 吃力不讨好地做,白费劲地做事
- beat the bushes 到处搜寻
- beat the daylights out 打得…昏天黑地,打得…失去知觉
- beat the devil's tattoo (焦急不安时)用手指敲桌子
- beat the drum 大肆宣传,大肆谈论
- beat the dust 拍打尘土
- beat the Dutch 〈口〉非常吃惊,叫人吃惊,空前出众
- beat the eggs 打鸡蛋
- beat the gun 发令枪未响就起跑,偷跑
- beat the mosquitoes away 把蚊子赶跑
- beat the quilt 拍打被子
- beat the rap 〈美俚〉逃脱,(承担)刑事责任〔惩罚〕
- beat the shore (海浪)拍岸
- beat the truth 探出真情
- beat the world record 打破世界纪录
- beat time 打拍子
- beat the visiting team 打败客队
- beat waist drums 打腰鼓
- beat wings 扑动翅膀
- beat fast 跳动迅速
- beat hard 猛打
- beat high (心跳)过速
- beat slow (心跳)过慢
- beat audibly 有响声地敲打
- beat boisterously 兴高采烈地敲打
- beat brutally 毒打
- beat burningly 热烈地敲打
- beat continuously 不停地敲
- beat easily 易打破
- beat feebly 无力地扑扇
- beat furiously 剧烈跳动
- beat horribly 可怕地敲打
- beat impatiently 不耐烦地敲打
- beat incessantly 不停地敲打,频繁地敲打
- beat joyously 高兴地敲打
- beat languidly 无精打采地敲打
- beat lazily 懒散地敲打
- beat lightly 轻轻地敲打
- beat loudly 鼓声大作
- beat manifestly 显示地敲打
- beat mercilessly 冷酷无情地敲打
- beat merrily 愉快地敲打
- beat nervously 心神不宁地击打
- beat pleasantly 兴奋地敲打
- beat proportionately 和谐地敲打
- beat rapidly 迅速扑动
- beat regularly 跳动正常
- beat rhythmically 有节奏地打
- beat separately 分开打…
- beat strenuously 用力地敲打
- beat thoroughly 投入地敲打
- beat uncontrollably 无法控制地敲打
- beat unmercifully 无情地敲打
- beat youthfully 英姿焕发地敲打
- beat about 四处拍打
- beat away 赶走
- beat the mosquitoes away 把蚊子赶走
- beat back 迫使…后退
- beat back all the attacks of the enemy 打退敌人的所有进攻
- beat down 压倒,毁坏,打败,镇压,使沮丧,使失望,(烈日)照射,杀价
- beat in 打进,敲入,打破,砸碎
- beat off 打退…,赶走,击退
- beat off an attack 击退一次进攻
- beat sb head off 打得某人焦头烂额,彻底打败某人
- beat out 踏出,击败,使筋疲力尽
- beat out a big fire 扑灭大火
- beat out a path in the snow 在雪中踏出一条路
- beat out jazz 奏爵士音乐
- beat out metal with a hammer 用铁锤把金属锤薄
- beat up 搅匀,将某人痛打一顿,召集
- beat up against a monsoon 逆着季风行驶
- beat up against the storm 顶着风暴前进
- beat up eggs 搅打鸡蛋
- beat up recruits 征募新兵
- beat about the bush 转弯抹角地说,旁敲侧击
- beat along the coast (船)沿着海岸顶风航行
- beat against 拍打…
- beat against a wall 撞在墙上,白费劲,徒劳无益
- beat against the windows (雨水)敲打窗户
- beat around the bush 转弯抹角地说,旁敲侧击
- beat at 大声敲(门等)
- beat at the door 使劲敲门
- beat sb in argument 在辩论中驳倒某人
- beat into 把…敲进,把…打成…,向(某人)灌输
- beat sb into fits 轻易地打败某人
- beat gold into goldleaf 把金子锤成金箔
- beat sb into insensibility 把某人打昏过去
- beat facts into sb's head 把事实硬灌进某人的脑袋里,反复教给
- beat a stake into the ground 把桩子打进地里
- beat sb on the head 打某人的头部
- beat to 把…打成…,抢先于(某人)达到目标
- beat sb to a mummy 把某人打得稀烂,把某人打得半死
- beat sb to death 把某人打死
- beat sb to his knees 把某人打得屈膝投降
- beat sb to it 挫某人的锐气,抢先
- beat sb to sticks 彻底打败某人,完全胜过某人
- beat sb to the draw 抢在某人之前拔出武器,抢在某人之前行动
- beat sb to the punch 抢在某人之前拔出武器,抢在某人之前行动
- beat with one's fist 用拳头打
- dynamic beat 有力的敲打
- familiar beat 熟悉的敲打
- impatient beat 不耐烦的敲打
- incessant beat 不停的敲打
- receding beat 渐渐消失的敲击
- rhythmic beat 有节奏的敲打
- steady beat 保持一定节奏的敲打
- heart beat 心跳
The measured beat of the waters against the sides of the boat.出自： E. Gaskell
The dry, dust-laden air vibrated steadily to the rapid beat of the engine.出自： W. Faulkner
One of the telegraphs was ringing the call-attention beat.出自： J. Masters
Her heart slowed a little and then made speed for a dozen beats or so.出自： S. King
I was too beat and hazy to take anything in.出自： P. Frankau
At what hour they may beat the door of an acquaintance.出自： S. Johnson
Then I beat my fist on a stone, forcing myself to speak calmly.出自： J. Rhys
- beat用作动词的基本意思是“打”,指连续的击打,其目的一般是加害或惩罚他人,击打动作则迅速而有序,一般不指明使用的器具。引申可表示娱乐场合或比赛中“打败”“战胜”“胜过”; 还可表示“难倒”“使无法解答”。
- beat作“击打”解时主语一般为人,宾语可为人,也可为物; 作“拍打”解时,主语多为风、雨、海浪等名词。“拍打在…(地方)”则用at, on, against等引起的介词短语。当作“战胜”“胜过”解时,其主语多为team一类的名词,当作“难倒”“使无法解答”解时,其主语则为problem等。beat还可指劈荆斩棘、开辟道路或踏出一条路。
- beat, buffet, hit, knock, strike
- We were buffeting a storm.
- The fall knocked me senseless.
- The child's head struck against the door.
- 2.buffet表示连续猛击; beat指用棍、棒等连续击打; hit指对准某一目标去“打”; strike指徒手或持物一次性地打击。例如:
- The waves buffeted the shore.
- The missile hit the carrier but only dented the hull.
- 这枚导弹击中了航空母舰,但只是把 舰体打凹了。
- His fist struck home.
- 3.hit引申为“攻击”“抨击”“受打击”,也可以指精神上或感情上的“打击”; beat可指在游戏、竞赛或战争中击败对方,用作不及物动词时,可指心脏或脉搏的“跳动”; 而strike则可以用于时钟敲响。例如:
- The reviewers hit his novel severely.
- This clock strikes on the hour.
- beat, win
- beat的宾语是对手,即表示人的名词或代词; 而win的宾语是比赛或奖品等,即表示物的名词或代词。例如:
- I beat her at swimming yesterday.
- I won the match yesterday.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的beatan，意为猛击，敲打。