- v. 放置；躺下；打赌；设计；击倒；产卵；使平静；压平
- n. 地形；位置；叙事短诗；交媾
- adj. 外行的；世俗的
- 音乐的旋律 ，曲调
- 凡俗的 ，俗人的， 世俗的
- 【牌】非主牌的，普通牌的 ，副的
- vt. 放置 set in proper position
- vt. 压倒,使躺下,放倒 put down so as to lie flat;cause to lie flat
- vt. 使…平息,使…消失 settle, disappear, or cease to be active
- vt. 打赌,下赌注 risk (especially money) on the result of some happening, such as a race;bet
- vt. & vi. 生蛋,产卵 produce
a narrative song with a recurrent refrain
a narrative poem of popular origin
characteristic of those who are not members of the clergy;
"set his collar in laic rather than clerical position"
"the lay ministry"
not of or from a profession;
"a lay opinion as to the cause of the disease"
put into a certain place or abstract location;
"Put your things here"
"Set the tray down"
"Set the dogs on the scent of the missing children"
"Place emphasis on a certain point"
put in a horizontal position;
"lay the books on the table"
"lay the patient carefully onto the bed"
prepare or position for action or operation;
"lay a fire"
"lay the foundation for a new health care plan"
"This hen doesn't lay"
impose as a duty, burden, or punishment;
"lay a responsibility on someone"
- You may lay it on the table.
- I lay down not so much to sleep as to think.
- I'll lay odds of three to one that he gets the job.
- He showed us how to lay out a printed page.
- Surveyors lay out Wall Street along the line of the stockade.
- They lay eggs from the beginning of July to the middle of August.
- He knows the lay of the land here.
- Lay more emphasis on combating corruption and advocating integrity.
- A lay figure can be placed in any position, or attitude, and clothed in any costume and thus serves as a model for the drapery.
- A lay opinion as to the seriousness of the disease.
- The lay public must be convinced that this is right and beneficial, and the medical fraternity must be held to the standards of the subuniverse.
- Are your hens laying well?
- The hens are not laying well at the moment.
- You can't feed a hen in the morning and expect it to lay in the afternoon.
- He lays dead.
- The snow lays thick on the ground.
- Some books lay loose.
- The fallen leaves lay wet.
- The carpet lays smooth.
- They lay scattered.
- Lay these pots along the verandas.
- We all helped her to lay supper.
- Will you lay the table?
- Who will lay the linoleum?
- The workers are laying the tracks.
- Recently they have laid an underground pipeline.
- It was in winter that they dug trenches and laid the oil pipes.
- This workman is able to lay bricks very quickly.
- He had laid the foundation of his future success.
- The prisoners laid an escape plan.
- He laid the design of the book.
- The earthquake laid the city.
- The rain quickly laid the dust.
- Sprinkle water on the road to lay the dust.
- His statement laid the rumor.
- The hens lay eggs every day.
- Her hen lays an egg every other day.
- Last week they laid 30 eggs, but this week the hens aren't laying.
- The cuckoo lays its eggs in other birds' nests.
- A turtle lays many eggs at one time.
- Several months later, the larvae became fully grown and the adults began to lay eggs.
- They lay this misfortune at your door.
- The country was laid in ruins.
- The books have been lying here ever since they were laid here.
- A new submarine cable was laid from England to Holland.
- A preliminary groundwork must be laid this year.
- A few days after the eggs are laid, young frogs which are called tadpole come out of them.
- The scene of the story is laid in the old liberated areas in Jiangxi.
- Her fears were soon laid.
- I lay you he is wrong.
- I'll lay five pounds that you don't succeed.
- He lays five dollars that she will not come.
- I lay ten yuan Tom is wrong.
- The enemy laid waste the whole area by fire.
- I'll lay the plots open.
- Presently he laid the paper carefully folded across his knees and closed his eyes.
- They laid bare the enemy's design.
- The trees were laid flat by heavy wind.
- Crops were laid flat by heavy rainstorms.
- His head was laid open.
- The mystery was soon laid bare.
- lay about1 (v.+adv.)
乱打 strike wildly with sth
He laid about with a stick.
- lay about2 (v.+prep.)
猛攻 attack violently
lay about sb/sth
He laid about them with a stick.
He rushed into the midst of the hooligans and laid about him fearlessly.
When ruffians attacked him, he laid about them vigorously.
- lay aside (v.+adv.)
积蓄(金钱),留出(时间) save money or time
- lay away (v.+adv.)
埋葬 bury a person
- lay before (v.+prep.)
提交 refer to
lay sth before sb/sth
I laid the matter squarely before him.
The nominating committee laid its slate before the board.
We laid the issue before the committee.
The bill has been laid before the Congress.
- lay by (v.+adv.)
储蓄,存留(备将来之用) save for future needs
lay sth ⇔ by
Every month he laid by fifty dollars out of his salary.
- lay down (v.+adv.)
训斥,发号施令 dress down;give orders
- lay for (v.+prep.)
〈非正〉暗中等待(伺机攻击),埋伏着等待 hide and wait for in order to catch or attack
lay for sb/sth
They were laying for him in the dark, and when he went out of his car, they all fell upon him.
The bandits laid for him in the dark.
歹徒们埋伏在暗处伺机攻击他。lay sth for sb
The hunter laid a trap for the tiger.
- lay in (v.+adv.)
贮存,储备 store;stock up
lay in with sth
Peter is laying in with good red wine for his wedding party.
Mother is laying in with some peanuts for the Spring Festival.
母亲正为春节准备一些花生。lay sth ⇔ in
She has laid in provisions against a shortage.
We usually lay in extra coal in case of emergencies .
She bought many fresh eggs and preserved them in salted water, because she wanted to lay them in for her little son.
At the beginning of the winter supplies were laid in, in case heavy falls of snow should block the road.
- lay into (v.+prep.)
〈非正〉攻击 attack sb physically or verbally
lay into sb
He's frightened to stay out late in case his mother lays into him again.
At the committee meeting the experts laid into each other fiercely.
The senator laid into the opponents of his bill.
In a speech of about twenty minutes he laid into the Opposition.
He laid into the defenders and scored a goal.
- lay off1 (v.+adv.)
暂时解雇 dismiss temporarily
The doctor told me to lay off for a week.
The teacher told him to lay off a couple of days.
I wish you would lay off!
但愿你别再说别人不好了。lay sb ⇔ off
Bill has not lost his job. His firm laid him off for two weeks.
In the economic depression the firm laid off some of their workmen.
The factory had to lay some workers off when its orders decreased.
The work force has been laid off.
Five hundred men were laid off when the factory closed after the fire.
There has been nothing to do since I got laid off.
- lay off2 (v.+prep.)
停止做某种不快的事 stop doing sth unpleasant
- lay on1 (v.+adv.)
组织,安排 organize;make arrangement for
The soldiers laid on with a will.
Taking up a stick, he caught the boy and laid on vigorously.
They all moved into apartments with water and electricity laid on.
We have got a house with gas and water laid on.
我们有了装有煤气和自来水的房子。lay sth ⇔ on
The firm always lays on a special meal for the staff about Christmas.
The telephone is laid on.
电话已安装好了。lay sth ⇔ on
They laid on two coats of paint.
She laid the paint on thickly.
她浓浓地抹了一层脂粉。lay sth ⇔ on
The government has laid on a new tax.
The firm is laying on higher prices.
这个公司正在强行加价。lay sth ⇔ on
I'll lay on a car tomorrow and have you run down to London.
I laid on a party for his birthday.
Sightseeing tours were laid on for the distinguished visitors from China.
- lay on2 (v.+prep.)
- lay out (v.+adv.)
准备殡葬 prepare a body for burial
- lay to (v.+adv.)
(使)停泊 (cause to) come to anchor
lay to off sth
The ship lays to off the coast.
这艘船停泊在海岸外面。lay sth to off sth
He laid the ship to off the coast.
- lay up (v.+adv.)
使(某人)呆在床上(或室内) cause sb to stay in bed or indoors
- lay with (v.+prep.)
用…铺设 cover (a surface) with sth
lay sth with sth
The floor of the entire house was laid with carpet.
This road is laid with asphalt.
- lay a carpet 铺地毯
- lay a city〔town〕 flat (地震)把城市〔镇〕夷为平地
- lay a course 按计划进行
- lay a fire 生火
- lay a floor 铺地板
- lay a ghost 驱除鬼怪
- lay a pipe 铺管道
- lay a scheme 策划阴谋
- lay a sewer 安装排水管
- lay a trap 设圈套
- lay a turf 铺草皮
- lay a wager 打赌
- lay a wreath 献花圈
- lay ambush 设埋伏
- lay bombs 埋炸弹
- lay breakfast 摆好桌吃早饭
- lay bricks 砌砖
- lay cloth 铺桌布
- lay colours 涂颜料
- lay doubts 消除疑惑
- lay dust 消除尘土
- lay eggs 下蛋,产卵
- lay explosives 埋炸药
- lay facts 陈述事实
- lay fine 罚款
- lay heads together 研讨计划
- lay indictment 提起公诉
- lay lunch 摆好桌子吃午饭
- lay mines 布雷
- lay pavement 铺路面
- lay plans 准备计划
- lay plaster 抹泥
- lay plates 摆菜盘(准备用餐)
- lay railroad track 铺设铁轨
- lay snare 设陷阱
- lay spirit 驱除鬼魂
- lay submarine cable 铺设海底电缆
- lay supper 摆好桌子吃晚饭
- lay tempest 平息风暴
- lay the basis 打基础
- lay the blanket 盖毯子
- lay the cloth 铺桌布
- lay the crops flat 把庄稼割倒在地
- lay the dust 消除灰尘
- lay the foundation 奠定基础
- lay the land waste 使…成一片荒凉
- lay the table 摆好餐具
- lay recently 最近铺设
- lay squarely 直截了当地提出
- lay well 下蛋很多
- lay about 乱打
- lay across 横着放
- lay along 顺着放
- lay aside 把…搁在一边
- lay book aside 把书搁在一边
- lay project aside 放弃这个方案
- lay aside the habit of smoking 戒烟
- lay away 把…放在一边,积蓄,抛弃,埋葬
- lay back 使…向后
- lay by 储存,把…放在一边
- lay down 放下,放弃,牺牲,制定,建造,储藏
- lay down a general policy 制订总的方针
- lay down one's arms 放下武器投降
- lay down one's power 放弃权力
- lay down one's precious life 献出宝贵的生命
- lay oneself down to sleep 躺下睡觉
- lay in 储备,储存
- lay in provisions 贮存食物
- lay off 把…放在一边,解雇,停止,打扰
- lay off workers 解雇工人
- lay on 安排(茶点,娱乐,活动等),提供(交通工具等),安装(水,电,煤气)
- lay on a next tax 征收一种新税
- lay on blows 猛烈打击
- lay on water and gas 安装自来水和煤气
- lay out 摊开,展开,安排,布置,设计,花(钱、精力等)
- lay out pictures 设计版面
- lay out the meeting 布置会场
- lay over 推迟某事
- lay to (使)停泊
- lay up 储存,使某人因病卧床
- lay up a car 把汽车搁置不用
- lay up goods 贮藏货物
- lay about 向四面八方乱打
- lay across 横跨
- lay across the river 横跨河流
- lay against 靠…放,控告
- lay an accusation against sb 控告某人
- lay along 顺置,顺着放
- lay around 在…周围放置
- lay before 摆到…前面,递交
- lay report before a meeting 向会议提交报告
- lay facts before the committee 将事实提交委员会
- lay one's case before the court 向法院起诉
- lay before the House of Commons 递交下议院
- lay behind 落后于
- lay behind most countries 落后于大多数国家
- lay by 放在…旁边
- lay for 等待时机,埋伏着等待
- lay for the enemies 给敌人设下…
- lay in 挡路,淹没
- lay in the dust 化为灰烬
- lay into 狠打,责骂
- lay off 停止…,戒掉…
- lay off alcohol 戒烟
- lay on 把…放在…,把…强加于
- lay one's hands on 对…下毒手
- lay one's hopes on 指望,期待
- lay stress on 强调
- lay on a second coat of paint 再涂一层漆
- lay duties on imports 对进口货抽税
- lay the books on the desk 把书放在书桌上
- lay one's cards on the table 摊牌
- lay over 涂…,覆盖
- lay to 把船驶入安全地带
- lay to heart 牢记
- lay to rest 埋葬,消除
- lay claim to the property 争财产所有权
- lay under 使某人顺从,使某人服从
- lay with 用…铺
- lay the road with asphalt 用柏油铺路
- lay the yard with straw 将稻草铺在院子里
W. S. Gilbert's lay of the two Englishmen wrecked on a desert island.出自： E. Huxley
One can never spontaneously burst into song, however doleful a lay.出自： N. Frye
By venturing my life upon an even lay with him.出自： Defoe
Particular attention must now be given to women, both lay and religious.出自：New York Times
We check the fire by laying flat Each building in its path.出自： Browning
Like flaws in summer laying lusty corn.出自： Tennyson
- lay的基本意思是“放置成水平位置”。可译为“放,搁,摆”“压倒,放倒”“铺设,敷设”等,引申可指“安排”“布置”“拟定”“提出”等。用作及物动词时,可接名词或代词作宾语,也可接“(to be+) adj./v -ed”充当补足语的复合宾语。
- lay, place, put, set
- You placed me in a difficult position.你使我陷入了窘境。
- I put the suitcase on the table.我把手提箱搁在桌上。
- They were setting the table for dinner.他们正在摆餐具准备开饭。
- lay, deposit
- He laid mats on the floor.他把席子摊开放在地板上。
- You can deposit your valuables in the hotel safe.你可以把贵重物品存放到旅馆的保险柜里。
- 2.lay和deposit的对象都可以指一般的东西,此时可互换。此外, deposit还可以指金钱、财物等贵重的或有某种价值的东西。例如:
- He laid〔deposited〕 the books on the desk.他把书放在办公桌上了。
- He's deposited quite a lot of money recently.他最近存入了不小的一笔钱。
- lay, lie
- He laid his dictionary on the shelf.
- The dictionary is lying on the shelf.
误 A clerk laid a slip of paper.
正 A clerk laid a slip of paper on the desk.
误 He was drunk and laid in the street.
正 He was drunk and lay in the street.
误 The toys were laying about on the floor.
正 The toys were lying about on the floor.
- ☆ 直接源自中古英语的lecgan，意为放在地上。