- vt. & vi. 猜 form an opinion or make a statement about sth without definite knowledge
- [C]猜测,估计,猜想 an attempt to guess
a message expressing an opinion based on incomplete evidence
an estimate based on little or no information
expect, believe, or suppose;
"I imagine she earned a lot of money with her new novel"
"I thought to find her in a bad state"
"he didn't think to find her in the kitchen"
"I guess she is angry at me for standing her up"
put forward, of a guess, in spite of possible refutation;
"I am guessing that the price of real estate will rise again"
"I cannot pretend to say that you are wrong"
judge tentatively or form an estimate of (quantities or time);
"I estimate this chicken to weigh three pounds"
guess correctly; solve by guessing;
"He guessed the right number of beans in the jar and won the prize"
- I don't really know, I'm just guessing.
- We could only guess at her motives.
- She guessed the right answer at once.
- He guessed the number of the beans in the jar.
- I guess he was wrong.
- I'll give you three guesses.
- My guess is that he didn't come because his parents wouldn't let him do.
- Think and guess.
- I don't really know,I'm just guessing.
- She guessed right.
- I believe you have guessed wrong.
- Guess this riddle!
- Can you guess my weight?
- She guessed my thoughts.
- Did you know Joe and Alice were secretly married?—Yes,I had guessed it.
- I should guess his age at 40.
- She guessed the right answer at once.
- Guess what to do next.
- Can you guess how to do it?
- I'd guess that she's about 30.
- She guessed that the letter had something to do with her husband.
- I guess that you're tired after your journey.
- I guess you're wrong here.
- I don't guess he will come.
- I'm too tired to get up,so I guess I'll just go on sitting.
- Guess how old I am.
- Can you guess where he has gone?
- He guessed what I was thinking about.
- He could hardly guess what time it was.
- They are guessing when the exam will take place.
- Is he right?—I guess so.
- “If you had come several minutes earlier, you...”said he.“I might have seen her,”I guessed.
- I guess you to be a retired army officer.
- I should guess her age as thirty.
- I guess it most dangerous your climbing the mountain alone.
- I guess it sheer waste of time arguing about it.
- I guess this hall to accommodate 1000 persons.
- I guess this reading room to contain five thousand books.
- One man's guess is as good as another's.
- Take a guess! how old is Mrs. Jones?
- I'll allow you three guesses.
- Have a guess at the result.
- Have a guess at the answer.
- Make a guess at the height of the building.
- You might have been able to make a guess at who she was.
- Make a guess as so how wide the building.
- guess at (v.+prep.)
猜想 form an opinion
guess at sth
I can't guess at your name.
Let us guess at the height of the building.
Can you guess at the price?
Ordinary people can only guess at the causes of the sharp rise in the cost of living.
普通百姓对生活费用急剧上涨的原因只能猜测。guess at wh-clause
Just guess at what he means.
I can't even guess at what you mean.
- guess what
- at a guess
猜一下,粗略估计 without being certain or exact
- by guess
靠猜 depend on guess
- It's anybody's guess
谁也说不准 no one knows
- guess a riddle 猜一个谜语
- guess a secret 猜着秘密
- guess sb's age at forty 猜某人的年龄在40岁的样子
- guess sb's doubt 猜中某人的疑虑
- guess sb's meaning 猜着某人的意思
- guess sb's thoughts 猜中某人的想法
- guess sb's weight 猜某人的体重
- guess the answer 猜答案
- guess the reason 推测原因
- guess the reason for sb's resignation 猜想某人隐退的理由
- guess the result 猜测结果
- guess the solution of a problem 猜着解决问题的办法
- guess the truth 推测真实情况
- guess nearly 接近猜中
- guess right 猜中
- guess wrong 猜错
- guess cleverly 精明地猜测
- guess correctly 正确地猜想
- guess easily 容易猜中
- guess luckily 幸运地猜中
- guess profoundly 深刻地猜测
- guess rightly 猜中
- guess shrewdly 精明地猜测
- guess skillfully 天才地猜想
- guess wildly 乱猜
- guess about 猜测
- guess at 对…猜测
- guess at sb's age 猜某人的年龄
- guess at the answer 猜答案
- guess sth from various circumstances 从各种情况来推测某事
- give〔have〕 a guess 猜测
- hazard a guess 姑妄猜之
- make a guess at sth 猜测某事
- miss a guess 猜错了
- venture a guess 大胆猜测
- baseless guess 没有根据的猜测
- good guess 猜得对
- hazardous guess 无把握的猜测
- instinctive guess 凭直觉的猜测
- rough-and-ready guess 大致的猜测
- round guess 粗略的猜测
- wild guess 乱猜
- wrong guess 错误的猜测
- guess as to 出自…的猜测
Mere guess, supposition and possibility, when opposed to historical evidence, prove nothing.出自： J. Butler
I don't need three guesses to know what you're talking about.出自： M. Shadbolt
He had no guess-idea of what bemused his vision.出自：Blackwood's Magazine
The eye being liable to be grossly deceived in guessing the direction of a perpendicular.出自： J. Tyndall
Guess my surprise when..I received a mysterious note.出自： T. Hardy
- guess可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词。用作及物动词时,接名词或代词如answer, riddle, thought, age, outcome, result等作宾语,还可接that或疑问词引导的从句。guess也可接以动词不定式或“to be/as n./adj. ”充当补足语的复合宾语。
- 在美国口语中,I guess(一般现在时)常用以表示“认为,想”,相当于I think或I suppose。后面跟从句,语气较婉转,也可以用so或not来替代前面句中肯定式或否定式的宾语。
- guess常与介词at连用,表示“对…的猜测”,在书面语中也可接as so。
- guess, guess at
- guess和guess at都可表示“猜测”“猜”。其区别是：
- 1.guess at更强调“猜”的动作本身,含有“试猜一下”“猜猜看”的意思; 而guess无此含义。例如:
- I can't even guess at her age.我甚至连她的年纪也猜不着。
- 2.当表示“猜中”时,通常用guess,而不用guess at。
- guess, conjecture, surmise
- guess指对某事并未确知的情况下,只凭想象的可能性来猜测; conjecture指凭经验从不完善、不肯定的证据中进行推断; surmise指凭直觉观察推断出有效结论,暗含具有客观态度和冷静思考的能力,往往有较充分的推测根据。例如:
- The old peasant conjectured that it would be an unusually cold winter.那老农推测冬天将会异常地寒冷。
- He surmised from their looks that he had called on them at an inopportune time.他可以从他们的面部表情推测出他的来访不是时候。
- guess, imagine, suppose
- imagine指没有事实根据,仅凭主观想象进行猜想; guess指未经认真思索而进行猜想,有时指不着边际地瞎猜; suppose指依据某些事实进行探索性的推测。例如:
- I guess you've already known the answer.我想你已经知道答案了。
- I suppose he is late again.我想他又迟到了。
- I guess his age as fifty.
- I guess his age at fifty.
- I guess him to be fifty.
- I guess that he is fifty.
- He guessed at her age.
- He guessed her age.
误 I'm guessing that we are leaving now.
正 I guess that we are leaving now.我进去时他们正在猜谜语。
误 They guessed riddles when I came in.
正 They were guessing riddles when I came in.
- ☆ 1300左右年进入英语，直接源自斯堪地那维亚语的gessen，意为猜想。