- 丢弃， 放弃
- vt. & vi. (使)落下,投下 fall, descend from one line or level to another
- vt. & vi. (使)降低,减少,减弱 become fewer or fewer
- vt. 放弃,断绝交往 stop seeing, talking about using or practising, give up
- vt. 漏掉,丢掉 leave out
- vt. 让人下车,卸下货物 allow sb to get out of a vehicle
- [C]滴,滴剂,滴状物 very small quantity of liquid usually round or pear-shaped
- [S]微量,一点 very small quantity
- [S]降落,下跌 movement from a higher to a lower level
- [S]落差 a distance or fall straight down
- [C]空投,空投物 sth that is dropped
a shape that is spherical and small;
"he studied the shapes of low-viscosity drops"
"beads of sweat on his forehead"
a small indefinite quantity (especially of a liquid);
"he had a drop too much to drink"
"a drop of each sample was analyzed"
"there is not a drop of pity in that man"
"years afterward, they would pay the blood-money, driblet by driblet"
a sudden sharp decrease in some quantity;
"a drop of 57 points on the Dow Jones index"
"there was a drop in pressure in the pulmonary artery"
"a dip in prices"
"when that became known the price of their stock went into free fall"
a steep high face of rock;
"he stood on a high cliff overlooking the town"
"a steep drop"
a predetermined hiding place for the deposit and distribution of illicit goods (such as drugs or stolen property)
a free and rapid descent by the force of gravity;
"it was a miracle that he survived the drop from that height"
a curtain that can be lowered and raised onto a stage from the flies; often used as background scenery
a central depository where things can be left or picked up
the act of dropping something;
"they expected the drop would be successful"
let fall to the ground;
"Don't drop the dishes"
to fall vertically;
"the bombs are dropping on enemy targets"
go down in value;
"Stock prices dropped"
fall or descend to a lower place or level;
"He sank to his knees"
terminate an association with;
"drop him from the Republican ticket"
utter with seeming casualness;
"drop a hint"
stop pursuing or acting;
"drop a lawsuit"
"knock it off!"
leave or unload;
"unload the cargo"
"drop off the passengers at the hotel"
cause to fall by or as if by delivering a blow;
"strike down a tree"
"Lightning struck down the hikers"
lose (a game);
"The Giants dropped 11 of their first 13"
lower the pitch of (musical notes)
"the ornaments dangled from the tree"
"The light dropped from the ceiling"
stop associating with;
"They dropped her after she had a child out of wedlock"
let or cause to fall in drops;
"dribble oil into the mixture"
get rid of;
"he shed his image as a pushy boss"
"shed your clothes"
take (a drug, especially LSD), by mouth;
"She dropped acid when she was a teenager"
omit (a letter or syllable) in speaking or writing;
" New Englanders drop their post-vocalic r's"
leave undone or leave out;
"How could I miss that typo?"
"The workers on the conveyor belt miss one out of ten"
change from one level to another;
"She dropped into army jargon"
fall or sink into a state of exhaustion or death;
"shop til you drop"
"Her condition deteriorated"
"Conditions in the slums degenerated"
"The discussion devolved into a shouting match"
give birth; used for animals;
"The cow dropped her calf this morning"
- She dropped to safety from the burning building.
- He dropped off from his bike.
- In the winter the temperature often drops below freezing.
- I decided to drop chemistry and take biology instead.
- You have dropped an "f" in your spelling of the word "different".
- Will you drop your old friends if you accomplish both success and fame?
- Unconsciously, a drop of tear drips on his lips.
- I'll have a wee drop of cream in my coffee.
- As the course becomes more difficult, there's usually a corresponding drop of the number of students.
- Life is but a dewdrop on the lotus leaf.
- The apple blossoms are beginning to drop.
- A gentle rain dropped yesterday morning.
- The hinges of this door seem to have dropped slightly.
- Our boat gently dropped.
- Prices dropped.
- The price of home electric appliances dropped last year.
- In that country, steel output dropped further this year.
- Production costs dropped 5.5 percent last year.
- They worked until they drop.
- I feel ready to drop.
- She expects every one to work till they drop.
- The stock market dropped today.
- The use of this drug has dropped.
- Dew had fallen heavily since the wind had dropped.
- She dropped her baby.
- The wet leaves are dropping water.
- She dropped the teapot.
- You've dropped your handkerchief.
- She dropped her glasses and broke them.
- The enemy plane dropped several bombs and flew away.
- The motorist dropped his speed.
- I dropped my umbrella last night.
- He dropped his watch in the bathroom.
- The postman has dropped a letter here.
- I'm driving your way so I may drop you at the station.
- We dropped the plan because of the lack of support.
- Let's drop the formalities, call me Mike.
- She wants to drop Russian after she learned it over a month.
- They have already dropped the project.
- Since you are not interested in the discussion,I'll drop it.
- He dropped teaching and took up business.
- Don't drop the period at the end of a sentence.
- The boss dropped ten men on Sunday.
- The boss dropped her from the staff at the end of the year.
- He has dropped all his old friends.
- I hear they have dropped over 2000 yuan on the deal.
- It must have been Mary who had dropped the rumours!
- The minister was dropped for last year's harvest failure.
- Those who do not pay the club fee will be dropped from the membership.
- If he tells you the case will be dropped, it will be dropped.
- Drop me a line when you get there.
- He dropped his teacher a postcard.
- He never dropped the smallest hint to you or any of your family?
- Many drops make a shower.
- Drops of rain began to fall.
- There is not a drop left.
- He emptied the glass to the last drop.
- They were determined to defend the land to the last drop of their blood.
- The doctor put drops into my eyes to dilate the pupils.
- Take six drops every three hours.
- He likes to eat chocolate drops.
- The pipe has leaked in large drops.
- I'll try a drop, then.
- Add a drop of salt to the soup.
- Add a drop of tobacco and mix well.
- “Would you like some more milk?”“Just a drop please.”
- Show her a drop of kindness.
- She has a drop of pity.
- It's about a 20-meter drop to the ground.
- The waterfall makes a sheer drop of one thousand feet.
- We watched the drop of the parachutists from the plane.
- The fall in the cost of living is directly relevant to the drop in the prices of many industrial products and agricultural produce.
- We really welcome a drop in prices.
- There was a steep drop in living standards.
- The General Motors Corporation had reported a sharp drop in profits on Tuesday.
- There was a sudden drop in temperature this morning.
- A cool breeze caused a precipitate drop in the temperature.
- Drops of supplies are being made to villages still cut off by the snow.
- drop across1 (v.+adv.)
〈非正〉串门 come across to visit
Drop across and have coffee sometime.
- drop across2 (v.+prep.)
偶遇 find (sth) or meet (sb) by chance
drop across sb
I dropped across Little Tom yesterday.
I dropped across her in Shanghai last month.
- drop away (v.+adv.)
减少,下降 become less
- drop back (v.+adv.)
落在后面 fail to maintain speed and be left behind
drop back to sth
The hook which he had thrown did not catch on the rocks, and dropped back to the ground.
他甩出去的钩子没挂住石头,又落回到地面。drop back to sth
He has dropped back to the fifth in his class.
Production has dropped back.
The unemployment figures dropped back last month.
The American runner had decided to drop back and let somebody else take the lead.
这位美国赛跑运动员决定放慢速度,让另外一个人领先。drop sth ⇔ back
She dropped the letter back in the drawer.
The car that had been in the second position dropped back with engine trouble.
- drop behind1 (v.+adv.)
落后 fall in disadvantage
Our team dropped behind in the league matches when a third of the players went on holiday.
- drop behind2 (v.+prep.)
落后于 fall in disadvantage of
drop behind sb/sth
In terms of annual production, the country has dropped behind the rest of Europe.
She dropped behind the other students.
The young couple dropped behind the rest of the party.
The old man dropped behind the rest.
- drop by (v.+adv.)
顺便来访 visit informally
We were just going out when Uncle Sam dropped by.
I don't think he just dropped by.He came on purpose.
Drop by any time when you're in town.
Next time you come to town, please drop by to see me.
Drop by one evening.
下次晚上过来坐会儿吧。drop sth ⇔ by
On her way back, she dropped by her brother's house.
We dropped by the club to see if Bill was there, but he wasn't.
- drop down (v.+adv.)
突然松开 release suddenly, intensive of drop
The fruit has begun to drop down.
The monkeys dropped down from the trees.
After the crash, onlookers said that the plane had suddenly dropped down out of the sky.
She dropped down into an armchair, exhausted.
她筋疲力尽地倒在扶手椅上。drop sth ⇔ down
She dropped the bag down and he caught it.
- drop in (v.+adv.)
〈非正〉愿意参加,愿意接受 like to fall in some activities
Look who's just dropping in!
They often drop in for coffee.
Drop in to see us any time if you're in town.
Do drop in if you happen to be passing!
They often drop in for tea.
他们常来喝茶。drop in on sb
The Smiths dropped in on some old friends on their vacation trip to New York.
史密斯一家去纽约度假时拜访了一些老朋友。drop sth ⇔ in
While they're playing scene two in front of the curtain, we can drop in the scenery for the next act.
他们在幕前演第二场时,我们可以放下下一幕的布景。drop in on sb/sth
The roof of the cave dropped in on the miners, trapping them.
窑洞的顶部坍了下来,砸在矿工身上。drop sth ⇔ in
He stopped at the mail-box and dropped the letter in.
When the library is closed, you can drop books in through the special hole in the door.
The organization has asked the city council for more money for the drug treatment centre, where so many young people are dropping in.
- drop into (v.+prep.)
顺便去某地,跳入 go to a place casually
drop into sth
I often drop into the store for some daily necessities.
He dropped into the garden.
他跳入花园。drop sth into sth
She dropped some lemon juice into her tea.
He dropped the letter into the pillar box.
- drop off (v.+adv.)
减少 become less
The handle of the door has dropped off.
The film was so boring that Helen kept dropping off.
Jimmy was thinking of his birthday party as he dropped off to sleep.
Drink this and you'll soon drop off.
喝下这个,你很快就会入睡的。drop sb/sth ⇔ off
I can drop you off on my way home.
We can drop you off at your place on our way home.
I wonder if you could drop me off at the bank?
Can you drop off my coat at the dry cleaner's on your way?
He said he would drop the parcel off at the post office.
Interest in the book has dropped off.
Business picked up in the stores during December, but dropped off again after Christmas.
The audiences for films have dropped off.
His friends dropped off one by one.
The doctor's practice has dropped off.
- drop on (v.+prep.)
挑中,选中 pick upon; come down upon
- drop out (v.+adv.)
掉出 fall out
My brother dropped out at the end of the second year of his junior middle school.
Tony dropped out after the club's new manager arrived.
Three of the runners dropped out.
三位赛跑的人弃权。drop out of sth
They dropped out of the team.
She has dropped out of college.
The window was open, and the pot just dropped out.
窗户开着,花盆就掉了出去。drop out of sth
The teapot dropped out of her hand.
- drop over (v.+adv.)
顺便拜访 visit unexpectedly and informally
Drop over and see me sometime.
- drop round (v.+adv.)
顺便访问 pay a short casual visit
Can I drop round to see you later?
- drop through (v.+adv.)
〈非正〉毫无结果,落空,失败 come to nothing, be no longer discussed
The plan dropped through when it proved too costly.
That matter will drop through.
- let drop (v.+v.)
let drop sth
I didn't let drop a word to him about my plan.
He let drop the suggestion that we should meet him in town.
他暗示我们应该到小城去见见他。let drop that-clause
Quite unexpectedly Paul let drop that he was thinking of retiring in China.
- a drop in the bucket
沧海一粟,杯水车薪 a quantity too small to make any improvement
- a drop to
通向…的陡坡 a steep slope to
- at the drop of a hat
毫不迟疑地,一有机会就 without delay, hesitation or good expect
- get the drop on
对…先发制人 act faster than another
- have〔take〕 a drop too much (of)
多喝了一杯(酒) drink too much
- in drops
一滴一滴地 very small quantity of
- drop a bunch of … 掉下〔摘下〕
- drop a course 退修一门课程
- drop a letter from a word 单词中漏掉一个字母
- drop a line 垂钓
- drop a lot of money at a race 在竞赛中输了不少钱
- drop a purse 丢失钱包
- drop a stitch 使(编织)跳了一针
- drop a subject 放弃一个科目
- drop anchor 抛锚
- drop coin 投硬币
- drop idea 打消想法
- drop line 写信
- drop one's eyes 低头看
- drop one's name 不再谈自己的名字
- drop one's name from the list 名单中丢掉了某人的名字
- drop one's opponent in the first round 第一轮回合把对手击倒
- drop one's package 丢失包裹
- drop one's umbrella 把雨伞掉了
- drop one's voice 放低声音
- drop plan 放弃计划
- drop sb a hint 给某人以暗示
- drop sb a postcard 寄给某人一张明信片
- drop sb a short note 寄给某人一封短信
- drop sb a valuable suggestion 给某人提出一个有价值的建议
- drop sb a word〔remarks〕 给某人捎个话
- drop shells into a town 向城内射炮弹
- drop the baby 使小孩跌下
- drop the bad habit 改掉坏毛病
- drop the ball through the basket 投篮命中
- drop the discussion 放弃讨论
- drop the letter into the pillar box 把信投入信箱
- drop the matter 不再谈这事
- drop the project 放弃这工程
- drop the supplies from the plane 从飞机上投下供给品
- drop the teapot 掉了茶壶
- drop water into a glass 滴水于杯中
- drop astern 落在(他船)后面
- drop downstream 顺流而下
- drop accidentally 意外落下
- drop alarmingly 令人惊恐地落〔降下〕
- drop badly 大大地落下
- drop carelessly 粗心地掉下
- drop gently 轻轻地落下,缓缓地落下
- drop heavily 重重地掉下
- drop lazily 懒洋洋地,放弃
- drop listlessly 无精打采地低下(头)
- drop methodically 井井有条地降落
- drop miraculously 奇迹般地降落
- drop mournfully 令人沮丧地低下了(头),令人沮丧的放弃
- drop overnight 夜间降下来
- drop perpendicularly 垂直下落
- drop quietly 悄悄地落下
- drop recently 最近下落
- drop sharply 急速地下落
- drop significantly 降落〔放弃,击落〕…是有意义的
- drop slightly 有些下降
- drop slowly 缓慢地降落
- drop substantially 实实在在地落下
- drop suddenly 突然下落
- drop swiftly 迅速下落
- drop tearfully 可怕地掉下
- drop away 一滴一滴地漏掉,陆陆续续离开,散去
- drop back 后退,后撤,恢复
- drop back into the old habit 恢复旧习惯
- drop behind 后退,后撤,恢复
- drop by 顺便走访,偶然拜访
- drop down 扔下,卧倒
- drop in 顺便走访,偶然拜访
- drop in any time 随时串门
- drop off 一滴一滴地漏掉,陆陆续续离开,散去,衰落,减少,下降,掉下,脱落,睡着
- drop out 弃权,放弃,取消,不参加,从…中掉出,脱离
- drop out from school 中途停学
- drop out of 从…退出,从…消失
- drop out of hand 从手里落下
- drop out of school 退学
- drop out of sight 从视线内消失
- drop over 顺便走访,偶然拜访
- drop round 顺便走访,偶然拜访
- drop through 崩溃,失败
- drop across 偶然遇到,训斥,惩罚
- drop sb at... 让某人在…下车
- drop behind others 落在别人后面
- drop behind the other runners 落在其他跑步者的后面
- drop from a race 退出比赛
- drop from heaven 从天上掉下来
- drop from the list 从名单上除去
- drop from tree 从树上掉下来
- drop into (使)落入,投入,偶然进去,顺便进入,不知不觉地养成(某习惯),训斥
- drop into sleep 不知不觉地睡着
- drop into the water 落入水中
- drop on the floor 掉在地上
- drop on the ground 撂〔抛〕在地上
- drop on〔to〕 one's knees 跪下
- drop to 落到,减少到,降低到
- drop to the floor 落在地板上
- drop to the ground 卧倒在地上
- drop to the lowest point 降到最低点
- drop through 投〔命〕中
- drop with a blow 一拳(把某人)打倒
- drop with fatigue 累得快要倒下
- absorb a drop 吸收水珠
- add drops 加上几滴水
- add a drop of sth to... 给…加上一点滴剂
- administer drop 用药水
- dispense a drop 酒药水
- distil in drops 滴下水珠,渗出水珠
- draw off drop 放掉水珠
- drink a drop 喝点酒
- dry drops 把水珠弄干
- exude a drop 渗出水珠
- fall in drops 一滴一滴地落下
- form a drop 形成一个水珠〔滴〕
- give off drops 排出水滴,分离出水滴
- have a drop in one's eye 略带醉意
- have a drop of pity 有一点怜悯之心
- instill drops 滴下水滴
- leak in large drops 渗出大水珠
- mix with drops 用水滴和〔配制〕
- moisten with drop 用水滴润湿
- prepare a drop 准备一点酒〔一滴药水、一块糖〕
- put drops in one's eyes 将眼药水滴入眼内
- save a drop 节省每一滴水
- shed a drop 流下一滴
- shower drops 倾注
- spill a drop 流下一滴
- squeeze a drop 榨出一滴水
- sweat large drops 冒出豆粒大的汗珠
- take a drop 喝点酒
- take one's drops 狂饮
- take ten drops 喝十滴药
- welcome a drop in prices 欢迎物价下降
- wipe away drops 擦掉水滴
- wear crystal drops on one's ears 戴水晶耳坠
- decided drop 明显的下降
- mere drop 仅一滴
- sharp drop 急剧下降
- sudden drop 突然下降
- acid drop 酸味糖果
- beady drop 多泡的酒
- bitter drop 苦酒
- blistering drop 起的水泡
- burning drop 燃烧着的落物
- continuous drop 邻近降落
- concealed drop 冻结的水珠
- cough drop 止咳糖
- falling drop 落下的水珠
- foolish drop 愚蠢的下跌
- fresh drop 新鲜的酒,新近的跌价
- glittering drop 闪光的水珠
- great drops 大滴
- insolent drop 无礼的降落
- large drops 大滴
- minute drop 小滴
- mournful drop 令人惋惜的下跌
- needle-like drop 似针状的落下
- pearly drop 珍珠般的滴状物
- priceless drop 宝贵耳坠
- ruddy drop 红色的滴剂
- small drops 小滴
- the last drop 最后一滴
- birth rate drop 出生率的下降
- coughing drop 咳嗽糖
- dew drops 露球
- ear drops 滴耳药水
- eye drops 眼药水
- friction drop 摩擦压力下降
- fruit drops 水果糖
- gravity drop 受重力作用而下降
- injection drop 喷嘴下降
- lemon drops 柠檬糖果
- mail drop 邮筒
- nose drops 滴鼻剂
- pressure drop (压)力差,压力下降
- temperature drop 温差
- drop arch 垂拱
- drop arm 转向(垂)臂
- drop bar 接地棒
- drop bottom 活底
- drop cloth 罩布
- drop curtain 舞台前的垂幕
- drop door 炉门,升降门
- drop lamp 上下移动的吊灯
- drop light 上下滑动的吊灯
- drop point 点滴,下降点
- drop scene 景幕
- drop window 窗门可以滑进窗框下空间的窗户
- at the drop of a hat 一有机会就,动不动就,马上
- fall in drops 滴落
- roll off in great drops 大滴大滴滚下来
- empty to the last drop 喝净
- fight to the last drop 血战到底
- with the drop in production 由于生产下降
On his..Ears..Sweat in clammy Drops appears.出自： Dryden
They would be faithful to him to the last drop.出自： Defoe
A faint trickle of water..fell down drop by drop into the ditch.出自： J. C. Powys
The moisture from the mist collected on my hair, and two drops rolled over..my cheek.出自： R. Hughes
Sweat dropped from his brow.出自：Oxford English Dictionary
- 在美式英语中, drop可表示“解雇”“开除”,在美国口语中, drop还可表示“亏空,输钱”。
- drop可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词。用作及物动词时,其后可接名词或代词作宾语; 作“不经意地说出或暗示”“寄信给某人”解时可接双宾语。可用于被动结构。
I dropped a letter to him this morning.
drop in 有“偶然访问拜访”的意思，后面接on或upon后再跟somebody。
He dropped in/upon on him yesterday.
Quite unexpectedly Sam let drop that he was thinking of leaving.
- drop by, drop in on
- drop by和 drop in on都可表示“顺便访问”。其区别是：
- drop by后常接某地; drop in on后常接某人。例如:
- Drop by my place whenever you like.如果你愿意,随时可来。
- I just decided to drop in on you one hour ago.我一小时前才决定来看看你。
- drop, descend, fall, sink
- 1.sink指在空气或水中垂直下降、下沉; descend则通常指沿斜线或斜坡下降; 而drop与fall均可指急速地向下坠落,可直可斜。例如:
- The walk descends sharply.小路下倾得很厉害。
- The ship struck against the rocks and sank.那船触礁沉没了。
- We saw an apple falling〔dropping〕 down from the tree yesterday.昨天我们看见一个苹果从树上掉下来。
- 2.drop指物体由于重力从高处往下落; fall指物体由于不明原因或物体本身失去平衡而向下降落,有自然下落的意思。例如:
- She dropped the cup.她把杯子弄掉了。
- Leaves fall in autumn.秋天树叶下落。
- 3.drop通常是有意识、有目的地下落; 而fall则往往是无意识地下落。例如:
- The enemy planes dropped bombs.敌机投下了炸弹。
- Rain is falling fast.雨下得很大。
- 4.drop引申可表示物价的降落; sink还可指精力或意识逐渐丧失。例如:
- The price of oil has dropped sharply.石油价格暴跌。
- His heart sank.他感到沮丧。
- 5.drop一般用作及物动词,偶尔也用作不及物动词; fall则通常用作不及物动词。
- drop in, call, see, visit
- 1.从语气上说:visit是正式用语; call比较正式; drop in则是日常用语,有“顺便”“不定期”的意味; see一般用于亲友间的访问。例如:
- The foreign delegation is visiting in Beijing.外国代表团正在北京访问。
- The Britain Ambassador called on Premier Zhou Enlai yesterday.英国大使昨天拜会了周恩来总理。
- He sometimes drops in to see me in the evening.他有时晚上来看我。
- I'll go to see my parents tomorrow.明天我要去看望父母。
- I visited〔called〕 on the foreign guests yesterday.昨天我走访了外国客人。
- In China, restaurant and hotel kitchens are visited〔called〕 on regularly by officers of public health.在中国,卫生人员经常检查饭店和旅馆的厨房。
- The doctor is out.He went to visit an emergency case.医生不在。他有急病号,出诊去了。
- I shall call on you this afternoon.
- When he visited us last year he told us a story every evening.
- 去年他来我们这儿作客时,每晚都给 我们讲一个故事。
- 5.社交场合用的“名片”英美说法不同。美国称calling card,英国称visiting card。
- He dropped the habit of smoking.
- He dropped into the habit of smoking.
误 Brown dropped into the river to find something at the bottom.布朗掉到了河里。
正 Brown dropped into the river.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的dropa；最初源自原始印欧语的dhreub，意为硬糖。