- 丢弃， 放弃
- vt. & vi. (使)落下,投下 fall, descend from one line or level to another
- vt. & vi. (使)降低,减少,减弱 become fewer or fewer
- vt. 放弃,断绝交往 stop seeing, talking about using or practising, give up
- vt. 漏掉,丢掉 leave out
- vt. 让人下车,卸下货物 allow sb to get out of a vehicle
- [C]滴,滴剂,滴状物 very small quantity of liquid usually round or pear-shaped
- [S]微量,一点 very small quantity
- [S]降落,下跌 movement from a higher to a lower level
- [S]落差 a distance or fall straight down
- [C]空投,空投物 sth that is dropped
- a shape that is spherical and small;
"he studied the shapes of low-viscosity drops"
"beads of sweat on his forehead"
- a small indefinite quantity (especially of a liquid);
"he had a drop too much to drink"
"a drop of each sample was analyzed"
"there is not a drop of pity in that man"
"years afterward, they would pay the blood-money, driblet by driblet"
- a sudden sharp decrease in some quantity;
"a drop of 57 points on the Dow Jones index"
"there was a drop in pressure in the pulmonary artery"
"a dip in prices"
"when that became known the price of their stock went into free fall"
- a steep high face of rock;
"he stood on a high cliff overlooking the town"
"a steep drop"
- a predetermined hiding place for the deposit and distribution of illicit goods (such as drugs or stolen property)
- a free and rapid descent by the force of gravity;
"it was a miracle that he survived the drop from that height"
- a curtain that can be lowered and raised onto a stage from the flies; often used as background scenery
- a central depository where things can be left or picked up
- the act of dropping something;
"they expected the drop would be successful"
- let fall to the ground;
"Don't drop the dishes"
- to fall vertically;
"the bombs are dropping on enemy targets"
- go down in value;
"Stock prices dropped"
- fall or descend to a lower place or level;
"He sank to his knees"
- terminate an association with;
"drop him from the Republican ticket"
- utter with seeming casualness;
"drop a hint"
- stop pursuing or acting;
"drop a lawsuit"
"knock it off!"
- leave or unload;
"unload the cargo"
"drop off the passengers at the hotel"
- cause to fall by or as if by delivering a blow;
"strike down a tree"
"Lightning struck down the hikers"
- lose (a game);
"The Giants dropped 11 of their first 13"
- pay out;
- lower the pitch of (musical notes)
- hang freely;
"the ornaments dangled from the tree"
"The light dropped from the ceiling"
- stop associating with;
"They dropped her after she had a child out of wedlock"
- let or cause to fall in drops;
"dribble oil into the mixture"
- get rid of;
"he shed his image as a pushy boss"
"shed your clothes"
- take (a drug, especially LSD), by mouth;
"She dropped acid when she was a teenager"
- omit (a letter or syllable) in speaking or writing;
" New Englanders drop their post-vocalic r's"
- leave undone or leave out;
"How could I miss that typo?"
"The workers on the conveyor belt miss one out of ten"
- change from one level to another;
"She dropped into army jargon"
- fall or sink into a state of exhaustion or death;
"shop til you drop"
- grow worse;
"Her condition deteriorated"
"Conditions in the slums degenerated"
"The discussion devolved into a shouting match"
- give birth; used for animals;
"The cow dropped her calf this morning"
- She dropped to safety from the burning building.
- He dropped off from his bike.
- In the winter the temperature often drops below freezing.
- I decided to drop chemistry and take biology instead.
- You have dropped an "f" in your spelling of the word "different".
- Will you drop your old friends if you accomplish both success and fame?
- Unconsciously, a drop of tear drips on his lips.
- I'll have a wee drop of cream in my coffee.
- Life is but a dewdrop on the lotus leaf.
The apple blossoms are beginning to drop.
A gentle rain dropped yesterday morning.
The hinges of this door seem to have dropped slightly.
Our boat gently dropped.
The price of home electric appliances dropped last year.
In that country, steel output dropped further this year.
Production costs dropped 5.5 percent last year.
They worked until they drop.
I feel ready to drop.
She expects every one to work till they drop.
The stock market dropped today.
The use of this drug has dropped.
Dew had fallen heavily since the wind had dropped.
She dropped her baby.
The wet leaves are dropping water.
She dropped the teapot.
You've dropped your handkerchief.
She dropped her glasses and broke them.
The enemy plane dropped several bombs and flew away.
The motorist dropped his speed.
I dropped my umbrella last night.
He dropped his watch in the bathroom.
The postman has dropped a letter here.
I'm driving your way so I may drop you at the station.
We dropped the plan because of the lack of support.
Let's drop the formalities, call me Mike.
She wants to drop Russian after she learned it over a month.
They have already dropped the project.
Since you are not interested in the discussion,I'll drop it.
He dropped teaching and took up business.
Don't drop the period at the end of a sentence.
The boss dropped ten men on Sunday.
The boss dropped her from the staff at the end of the year.
He has dropped all his old friends.
I hear they have dropped over 2000 yuan on the deal.
It must have been Mary who had dropped the rumours!
The minister was dropped for last year's harvest failure.
Those who do not pay the club fee will be dropped from the membership.
If he tells you the case will be dropped, it will be dropped.
Drop me a line when you get there.
He dropped his teacher a postcard.
He never dropped the smallest hint to you or any of your family?
Many drops make a shower.
Drops of rain began to fall.
There is not a drop left.
He emptied the glass to the last drop.
They were determined to defend the land to the last drop of their blood.
The doctor put drops into my eyes to dilate the pupils.
Take six drops every three hours.
He likes to eat chocolate drops.
The pipe has leaked in large drops.
I'll try a drop, then.
Add a drop of salt to the soup.
Add a drop of tobacco and mix well.
“Would you like some more milk?”“Just a drop please.”
Show her a drop of kindness.
She has a drop of pity.
It's about a 20-meter drop to the ground.
The waterfall makes a sheer drop of one thousand feet.
We watched the drop of the parachutists from the plane.
The fall in the cost of living is directly relevant to the drop in the prices of many industrial products and agricultural produce.
We really welcome a drop in prices.
There was a steep drop in living standards.
The General Motors Corporation had reported a sharp drop in profits on Tuesday.
There was a sudden drop in temperature this morning.
A cool breeze caused a precipitate drop in the temperature.
Drops of supplies are being made to villages still cut off by the snow.
- drop across1 (v.+adv.)
〈非正〉串门 come across to visit drop across
Drop across and have coffee sometime.有空来串门,一块儿喝咖啡。
- 〈非正〉串门 come across to visit drop across
- drop across2 (v.+prep.)
偶遇 find (sth) or meet (sb) by chance drop across sb
I dropped across Little Tom yesterday.昨天我偶然遇见小汤姆。
I dropped across her in Shanghai last month.上月我在上海偶然碰到了她。
- 偶遇 find (sth) or meet (sb) by chance drop across sb
- drop away (v.+adv.)
陡峭 fall sheer
The cliff drops away at that point. 那地方悬崖陡峭。
减少,下降 become less
The attendance has dropped away in recent months. 最近几月的出勤下降了。
- 陡峭 fall sheer
- drop back (v.+adv.)
落回 fall back drop back to sth
The hook which he had thrown did not catch on the rocks, and dropped back to the ground.他甩出去的钩子没挂住石头,又落回到地面。
地位倒退 fall back in position drop back to sth
He has dropped back to the fifth in his class.他在班内名次退居第五。
减少 lessen drop back
Production has dropped back.生产下降了。
The unemployment figures dropped back last month.上月的失业人数减少了。
The American runner had decided to drop back and let somebody else take the lead.这位美国赛跑运动员决定放慢速度,让另外一个人领先。
投回 put back by dropping drop sth ⇔ back
She dropped the letter back in the drawer.她把信放回抽屉里。
落在后面 fail to maintain speed and be left behind drop back
The car that had been in the second position dropped back with engine trouble.原先处在第二位的那辆赛车由于发动机发生故障而落在了后面。
- 落回 fall back drop back to sth
- drop behind1 (v.+adv.)
落后 fall in disadvantage drop behind
Our team dropped behind in the league matches when a third of the players went on holiday.我们队由于三分之一的队员在度假因而在联赛上落后了。
- 落后 fall in disadvantage drop behind
- drop behind2 (v.+prep.)
落后于 fall in disadvantage of drop behind sb/sth
In terms of annual production, the country has dropped behind the rest of Europe.在年产量方面,这个国家落后于欧洲其他国家。
She dropped behind the other students.她落在其他学生的后面。
The young couple dropped behind the rest of the party.这对年轻人落在了他人的后头。
The old man dropped behind the rest.那位老人落在他人后面。
- 落后于 fall in disadvantage of drop behind sb/sth
- drop by (v.+adv.)
顺便来访 visit informally drop by
We were just going out when Uncle Sam dropped by.我们正要出去,萨姆叔叔来了。
I don't think he just dropped by.He came on purpose.我想他不是顺便坐坐,而是特意来访。
Drop by any time when you're in town.你再来城里时请随时来看看我们。
Next time you come to town, please drop by to see me.你下次来城里,千万得来看我!
Drop by one evening.下次晚上过来坐会儿吧。drop sth ⇔ by
On her way back, she dropped by her brother's house.在回家途中,她顺便到弟弟家看看。
We dropped by the club to see if Bill was there, but he wasn't.我们在俱乐部停了一下看看比尔在不在里面,可他不在那里。
- 顺便来访 visit informally drop by
- drop down (v.+adv.)
突然下来 come down suddenly drop down
The fruit has begun to drop down.水果开始落地。
The monkeys dropped down from the trees.猴子突然从树上蹦下来。
After the crash, onlookers said that the plane had suddenly dropped down out of the sky.飞机坠毁后旁观者说飞机是突然从天上掉下来的。
She dropped down into an armchair, exhausted.她筋疲力尽地倒在扶手椅上。
突然松开 release suddenly, intensive of drop drop sth ⇔ down
She dropped the bag down and he caught it.她突然松开提包,叫他给抓住了。
- 突然下来 come down suddenly drop down
- drop in (v.+adv.)
顺便拜访 make a short visit drop in
Look who's just dropping in!看,谁来了!
They often drop in for coffee.他们常来串门喝咖啡。
Drop in to see us any time if you're in town.你在城里时就来串门吧。
Do drop in if you happen to be passing!碰巧从这边过时进来坐坐。
They often drop in for tea.他们常来喝茶。drop in on sb
The Smiths dropped in on some old friends on their vacation trip to New York.史密斯一家去纽约度假时拜访了一些老朋友。
降下 let fall or lower drop sth ⇔ in
While they're playing scene two in front of the curtain, we can drop in the scenery for the next act.他们在幕前演第二场时,我们可以放下下一幕的布景。
投入,坍落 fall in drop in on sb/sth
The roof of the cave dropped in on the miners, trapping them.窑洞的顶部坍了下来,砸在矿工身上。drop sth ⇔ in
He stopped at the mail-box and dropped the letter in.他在信筒前停了下来,把信投了进去。
When the library is closed, you can drop books in through the special hole in the door.图书馆关门后,你可以把书从门上专设的小口中投进去。
〈非正〉愿意参加,愿意接受 like to fall in some activities drop in
The organization has asked the city council for more money for the drug treatment centre, where so many young people are dropping in.该组织请求市议会拨给戒毒中心更多的款,因为到这里来的年轻人非常多。
- 顺便拜访 make a short visit drop in
- drop into (v.+prep.)
顺便去某地,跳入 go to a place casually drop into sth
I often drop into the store for some daily necessities.我常光顾那家小店买些日用品。
He dropped into the garden.他跳入花园。drop sth into sth
She dropped some lemon juice into her tea.她在茶中滴了些柠檬汁。
He dropped the letter into the pillar box.他把信丢进邮筒内。
- 顺便去某地,跳入 go to a place casually drop into sth
- drop off (v.+adv.)
落下 fall off drop off
The handle of the door has dropped off.门把手脱落了。
不知不觉入睡 fall asleep unintentionally drop off
The film was so boring that Helen kept dropping off.这部影片非常无聊,所以海伦一直在睡觉。
Jimmy was thinking of his birthday party as he dropped off to sleep.吉米想着想着他的生日晚会就睡着了。
Drink this and you'll soon drop off.喝下这个,你很快就会入睡的。
送下车; 送到 allow sb to get out of a vehicle drop sb/sth ⇔ off
I can drop you off on my way home.我回家可以顺便送你。
We can drop you off at your place on our way home.我们回家顺路就能送你到家。
I wonder if you could drop me off at the bank?不知道你能不能让我在银行门口下车?
Can you drop off my coat at the dry cleaner's on your way?你能顺路把我的外衣送到干洗店去吗?
He said he would drop the parcel off at the post office.他说他要在邮局寄一个包裹。
减少 become less drop off
Interest in the book has dropped off.对这本书的兴趣降低了。
Business picked up in the stores during December, but dropped off again after Christmas.商店的生意在12月份的时候有所增加,但圣诞节之后又冷清下来。
The audiences for films have dropped off.看电影的人数减少。
His friends dropped off one by one.他的朋友一个个离去。
The doctor's practice has dropped off.这医生的病人越来越少了。
- 落下 fall off drop off
- drop on (v.+prep.)
- 〔说明〕 drop on不用于进行体。 drop on sb/sth
发现; 找到 come upon unexpectedly
As I was looking through some books on a second-hand book stall,I dropped on just what I wanted. 当我在旧书摊浏览书籍时,我意外地找到了我所需要的书。
挑中,选中 pick upon; come down upon
Why does he always drop on me to answer the most difficult questions? 为什么他老是偏偏选中我回答最难的问题?
◇ 用于 be ～ed 结构
I object to being repeatedly dropped on in this manner. 我反对用这种方式屡次被挑中。
- drop out (v.+adv.)
离开,退出 leave; cease to belong to drop out
My brother dropped out at the end of the second year of his junior middle school.我哥哥念完初中二年级就休学了。
Tony dropped out after the club's new manager arrived.俱乐部的新经理来了之后托尼就退出了。
Three of the runners dropped out.三位赛跑的人弃权。drop out of sth
They dropped out of the team.他们退出了球队。
She has dropped out of college.她已退学。
掉出 fall out drop out
The window was open, and the pot just dropped out.窗户开着,花盆就掉了出去。drop out of sth
The teapot dropped out of her hand.茶壶从她手中落了下来。
- 离开,退出 leave; cease to belong to drop out
- drop over (v.+adv.)
顺便拜访 visit unexpectedly and informally drop over
Drop over and see me sometime.顺便来看看我吧。
- 顺便拜访 visit unexpectedly and informally drop over
- drop round (v.+adv.)
顺便访问 pay a short casual visit drop round
Can I drop round to see you later?以后我路过时能来拜访您吗?
- 顺便访问 pay a short casual visit drop round
- drop through (v.+adv.)
〈非正〉毫无结果,落空,失败 come to nothing, be no longer discussed drop through
The plan dropped through when it proved too costly.付出了那么多的努力,这计划还是失败了。
That matter will drop through.那事将不再讨论。
- 〈非正〉毫无结果,落空,失败 come to nothing, be no longer discussed drop through
- let drop (v.+v.)
暗示 hint let drop sth
I didn't let drop a word to him about my plan.关于我的计划我没有暗示给他一个字。
He let drop the suggestion that we should meet him in town.他暗示我们应该到小城去见见他。let drop that-clause
Quite unexpectedly Paul let drop that he was thinking of retiring in China.不可思议的是保罗暗示他正在考虑从中国撤退。
- 暗示 hint let drop sth
- a drop in the bucket
沧海一粟,杯水车薪 a quantity too small to make any improvement
Aid to the Third World is at present little more than a drop in the bucket. 目前对第三世界国家的援助不过是杯水车薪。
- 沧海一粟,杯水车薪 a quantity too small to make any improvement
- a drop to
通向…的陡坡 a steep slope to
The road ends abruptly in a drop to the sea. 道路的尽头是一个通向大海的陡坡。
There is a short drop to the lake. 有一个通向湖泊的近路。
- 通向…的陡坡 a steep slope to
- at the drop of a hat
毫不迟疑地,一有机会就 without delay, hesitation or good expect
He used to fight at the drop of hat. 他以前动不动就打架。
You can't expect me to move my home at the drop of a hat. 你别指望我会立刻搬家。
- 毫不迟疑地,一有机会就 without delay, hesitation or good expect
- get the drop on
掏出枪对准 take out gun to aim sb
We got the drop on the criminal. 我们掏出枪来对准罪犯。
对…先发制人 act faster than another
He had gotten the drop on us. 他占了我们的上风。
- 掏出枪对准 take out gun to aim sb
- have〔take〕 a drop too much (of)
多喝了一杯(酒) drink too much
He's had a drop too much of alcohol to drink. 他多喝了一杯酒,醉了。
- 多喝了一杯(酒) drink too much
- in drops
一滴一滴地 very small quantity of
In half an hour the rain leaked in large drops through the roof. 半小时内,雨水大滴大滴地从房顶渗了下来。
Pour the oil in drops into the mixture. 把油一滴一滴地滴进混合物。
- 一滴一滴地 very small quantity of
- drop a bunch of … 掉下〔摘下〕
- drop a course 退修一门课程
- drop a letter from a word 单词中漏掉一个字母
- drop a line 垂钓
- drop a lot of money at a race 在竞赛中输了不少钱
- drop a purse 丢失钱包
- drop a stitch 使(编织)跳了一针
- drop a subject 放弃一个科目
- drop anchor 抛锚
- drop coin 投硬币
- drop idea 打消想法
- drop line 写信
- drop one's eyes 低头看
- drop one's name 不再谈自己的名字
- drop one's name from the list 名单中丢掉了某人的名字
- drop one's opponent in the first round 第一轮回合把对手击倒
- drop one's package 丢失包裹
- drop one's umbrella 把雨伞掉了
- drop one's voice 放低声音
- drop plan 放弃计划
- drop sb a hint 给某人以暗示
- drop sb a postcard 寄给某人一张明信片
- drop sb a short note 寄给某人一封短信
- drop sb a valuable suggestion 给某人提出一个有价值的建议
- drop sb a word〔remarks〕 给某人捎个话
- drop shells into a town 向城内射炮弹
- drop the baby 使小孩跌下
- drop the bad habit 改掉坏毛病
- drop the ball through the basket 投篮命中
- drop the discussion 放弃讨论
- drop the letter into the pillar box 把信投入信箱
- drop the matter 不再谈这事
- drop the project 放弃这工程
- drop the supplies from the plane 从飞机上投下供给品
- drop the teapot 掉了茶壶
- drop water into a glass 滴水于杯中
- drop astern 落在(他船)后面
- drop downstream 顺流而下
- drop accidentally 意外落下
- drop alarmingly 令人惊恐地落〔降下〕
- drop badly 大大地落下
- drop carelessly 粗心地掉下
- drop gently 轻轻地落下,缓缓地落下
- drop heavily 重重地掉下
- drop lazily 懒洋洋地,放弃
- drop listlessly 无精打采地低下(头)
- drop methodically 井井有条地降落
- drop miraculously 奇迹般地降落
- drop mournfully 令人沮丧地低下了(头),令人沮丧的放弃
- drop overnight 夜间降下来
- drop perpendicularly 垂直下落
- drop quietly 悄悄地落下
- drop recently 最近下落
- drop sharply 急速地下落
- drop significantly 降落〔放弃,击落〕…是有意义的
- drop slightly 有些下降
- drop slowly 缓慢地降落
- drop substantially 实实在在地落下
- drop suddenly 突然下落
- drop swiftly 迅速下落
- drop tearfully 可怕地掉下
- drop away 一滴一滴地漏掉,陆陆续续离开,散去
- drop back 后退,后撤,恢复
- drop back into the old habit 恢复旧习惯
- drop behind 后退,后撤,恢复
- drop by 顺便走访,偶然拜访
- drop down 扔下,卧倒
- drop in 顺便走访,偶然拜访
- drop in any time 随时串门
- drop off 一滴一滴地漏掉,陆陆续续离开,散去,衰落,减少,下降,掉下,脱落,睡着
- drop out 弃权,放弃,取消,不参加,从…中掉出,脱离
- drop out from school 中途停学
- drop out of 从…退出,从…消失
- drop out of hand 从手里落下
- drop out of school 退学
- drop out of sight 从视线内消失
- drop over 顺便走访,偶然拜访
- drop round 顺便走访,偶然拜访
- drop through 崩溃,失败
- drop across 偶然遇到,训斥,惩罚
- drop sb at... 让某人在…下车
- drop behind others 落在别人后面
- drop behind the other runners 落在其他跑步者的后面
- drop from a race 退出比赛
- drop from heaven 从天上掉下来
- drop from the list 从名单上除去
- drop from tree 从树上掉下来
- drop into (使)落入,投入,偶然进去,顺便进入,不知不觉地养成(某习惯),训斥
- drop into sleep 不知不觉地睡着
- drop into the water 落入水中
- drop on the floor 掉在地上
- drop on the ground 撂〔抛〕在地上
- drop on〔to〕 one's knees 跪下
- drop to 落到,减少到,降低到
- drop to the floor 落在地板上
- drop to the ground 卧倒在地上
- drop to the lowest point 降到最低点
- drop through 投〔命〕中
- drop with a blow 一拳(把某人)打倒
- drop with fatigue 累得快要倒下
- absorb a drop 吸收水珠
- add drops 加上几滴水
- add a drop of sth to... 给…加上一点滴剂
- administer drop 用药水
- dispense a drop 酒药水
- distil in drops 滴下水珠,渗出水珠
- draw off drop 放掉水珠
- drink a drop 喝点酒
- dry drops 把水珠弄干
- exude a drop 渗出水珠
- fall in drops 一滴一滴地落下
- form a drop 形成一个水珠〔滴〕
- give off drops 排出水滴,分离出水滴
- have a drop in one's eye 略带醉意
- have a drop of pity 有一点怜悯之心
- instill drops 滴下水滴
- leak in large drops 渗出大水珠
- mix with drops 用水滴和〔配制〕
- moisten with drop 用水滴润湿
- prepare a drop 准备一点酒〔一滴药水、一块糖〕
- put drops in one's eyes 将眼药水滴入眼内
- save a drop 节省每一滴水
- shed a drop 流下一滴
- shower drops 倾注
- spill a drop 流下一滴
- squeeze a drop 榨出一滴水
- sweat large drops 冒出豆粒大的汗珠
- take a drop 喝点酒
- take one's drops 狂饮
- take ten drops 喝十滴药
- welcome a drop in prices 欢迎物价下降
- wipe away drops 擦掉水滴
- wear crystal drops on one's ears 戴水晶耳坠
- decided drop 明显的下降
- mere drop 仅一滴
- sharp drop 急剧下降
- sudden drop 突然下降
- acid drop 酸味糖果
- beady drop 多泡的酒
- bitter drop 苦酒
- blistering drop 起的水泡
- burning drop 燃烧着的落物
- continuous drop 邻近降落
- concealed drop 冻结的水珠
- cough drop 止咳糖
- falling drop 落下的水珠
- foolish drop 愚蠢的下跌
- fresh drop 新鲜的酒,新近的跌价
- glittering drop 闪光的水珠
- great drops 大滴
- insolent drop 无礼的降落
- large drops 大滴
- minute drop 小滴
- mournful drop 令人惋惜的下跌
- needle-like drop 似针状的落下
- pearly drop 珍珠般的滴状物
- priceless drop 宝贵耳坠
- ruddy drop 红色的滴剂
- small drops 小滴
- the last drop 最后一滴
- birth rate drop 出生率的下降
- coughing drop 咳嗽糖
- dew drops 露球
- ear drops 滴耳药水
- eye drops 眼药水
- friction drop 摩擦压力下降
- fruit drops 水果糖
- gravity drop 受重力作用而下降
- injection drop 喷嘴下降
- lemon drops 柠檬糖果
- mail drop 邮筒
- nose drops 滴鼻剂
- pressure drop (压)力差,压力下降
- temperature drop 温差
- drop arch 垂拱
- drop arm 转向(垂)臂
- drop bar 接地棒
- drop bottom 活底
- drop cloth 罩布
- drop curtain 舞台前的垂幕
- drop door 炉门,升降门
- drop lamp 上下移动的吊灯
- drop light 上下滑动的吊灯
- drop point 点滴,下降点
- drop scene 景幕
- drop window 窗门可以滑进窗框下空间的窗户
- at the drop of a hat 一有机会就,动不动就,马上
- fall in drops 滴落
- roll off in great drops 大滴大滴滚下来
- empty to the last drop 喝净
- fight to the last drop 血战到底
- with the drop in production 由于生产下降
On his..Ears..Sweat in clammy Drops appears.出自：Dryden
They would be faithful to him to the last drop.出自：Defoe
A faint trickle of water..fell down drop by drop into the ditch.出自：J. C. Powys
The moisture from the mist collected on my hair, and two drops rolled over..my cheek.出自：R. Hughes
Sweat dropped from his brow.出自：Oxford English Dictionary
I dropped a letter to him this morning.
drop in 有“偶然访问拜访”的意思，后面接on或upon后再跟somebody。
He dropped in/upon on him yesterday.
Quite unexpectedly Sam let drop that he was thinking of leaving.
- 在美式英语中, drop可表示“解雇”“开除”,在美国口语中, drop还可表示“亏空,输钱”。
- drop可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词。用作及物动词时,其后可接名词或代词作宾语; 作“不经意地说出或暗示”“寄信给某人”解时可接双宾语。可用于被动结构。
- drop本义即指“落下”,含有down的意味,所以一般不须再搭用down,短语动词中drop down中的down不指向下,而是用以加强语气,强调突然性或偶然性。
- drop by, drop in on
drop by和 drop in on都可表示“顺便访问”。其区别是：drop by后常接某地; drop in on后常接某人。例如:Drop by my place whenever you like.如果你愿意,随时可来。I just decided to drop in on you one hour ago.我一小时前才决定来看看你。
- drop, descend, fall, sink
这四个词都可表示物体向下降落。它们之间的区别是:1.sink指在空气或水中垂直下降、下沉; descend则通常指沿斜线或斜坡下降; 而drop与fall均可指急速地向下坠落,可直可斜。例如:The walk descends sharply.小路下倾得很厉害。The ship struck against the rocks and sank.那船触礁沉没了。We saw an apple falling〔dropping〕 down from the tree yesterday.昨天我们看见一个苹果从树上掉下来。2.drop指物体由于重力从高处往下落; fall指物体由于不明原因或物体本身失去平衡而向下降落,有自然下落的意思。例如:She dropped the cup.她把杯子弄掉了。Leaves fall in autumn.秋天树叶下落。3.drop通常是有意识、有目的地下落; 而fall则往往是无意识地下落。例如:The enemy planes dropped bombs.敌机投下了炸弹。Rain is falling fast.雨下得很大。4.drop引申可表示物价的降落; sink还可指精力或意识逐渐丧失。例如:The price of oil has dropped sharply.石油价格暴跌。His heart sank.他感到沮丧。5.drop一般用作及物动词,偶尔也用作不及物动词; fall则通常用作不及物动词。
- drop in, call, see, visit
这组词均有“拜访”之意。它们之间的区别是:1.从语气上说:visit是正式用语; call比较正式; drop in则是日常用语,有“顺便”“不定期”的意味; see一般用于亲友间的访问。例如:The foreign delegation is visiting in Beijing.外国代表团正在北京访问。The Britain Ambassador called on Premier Zhou Enlai yesterday.英国大使昨天拜会了周恩来总理。He sometimes drops in to see me in the evening.他有时晚上来看我。I'll go to see my parents tomorrow.明天我要去看望父母。2.在使用场合上:call和visit都可用于社交和公务,但医生到病人家出诊则要用visit。例如:I visited〔called〕 on the foreign guests yesterday.昨天我走访了外国客人。In China, restaurant and hotel kitchens are visited〔called〕 on regularly by officers of public health.在中国,卫生人员经常检查饭店和旅馆的厨房。The doctor is out.He went to visit an emergency case.医生不在。他有急病号,出诊去了。3.call的时间一般都很短暂,而visit逗留的时间则较长。试比较以下两个句子:
4.visit在英国较少用,一般情况下都用call。如果用了visit,则含有“逗留几天”或“出于公务〔职务〕的要求”的意思。5.社交场合用的“名片”英美说法不同。美国称calling card,英国称visiting card。
- I shall call on you this afternoon.
- When he visited us last year he told us a story every evening.
- 去年他来我们这儿作客时,每晚都给 我们讲一个故事。
- He dropped the habit of smoking.
- He dropped into the habit of smoking.
误 Brown dropped into the river to find something at the bottom.
正 Brown dropped into the river.
错句：even when heavy items like litre bottles of drink were carried, the comfort factor did not drop.
纠正：when heavy items like litre bottles of milk were carried, i was no less comfortable.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语d的ropa；最初源自原始印欧语d的hreub，意为硬糖。
- v.(动词) dribble drip trickle fall sink slump
- n.(名词) drip droplet decline decrease fall reduction slip slump
- n.(名词) gob
- DROP:Deferred Retirement Option Plan (employee benefit)递延退休期权计划(雇员利益)
- DROP:Deprogramming And Restoration Of Pride删除和修复的骄傲
- DROP:Dielectric-Resonator-On-Patch (antenna)Dielectric-Resonator-On-Patch(天线)
- drop:drop v. 滴下, 落下, (使声音等)变弱, (使价格等)下降, 使跌倒, 使结束, 不再讨论, 停止与(某人)交往n. 落下, 下降, 滴, 滴剂, 点滴, 微量, 下跌 英英解释:名词dro…