- n. 踪迹；小径；尾；一系列
- vi. 拖；落后于
- vt. 追踪；拖拽；尾随
- vt. & vi. 拖,拉,拽 drag or be dragged behind
- vt. & vi. 跟踪; 追猎 follow the tracks of; hunt by smell, sign
- [C]足迹; 臭迹 the track or smell of a person or animal
- [C]小径 a path across rough country made by the passing of people or animals
- [C]一缕,一股 a stream of dust, smoke, people, vehicles, etc., behind sth moving
a track or mark left by something that has passed;
"there as a trail of blood"
"a tear left its trail on her cheek"
a path or track roughly blazed through wild or hilly country
evidence pointing to a possible solution;
"the police are following a promising lead"
"the trail led straight to the perpetrator"
to lag or linger behind;
"But in so many other areas we still are dragging"
go after with the intent to catch;
"The policeman chased the mugger down the alley"
"the dog chased the rabbit"
move, proceed, or walk draggingly or slowly;
"John trailed behind his class mates"
"The Mercedes trailed behind the horse cart"
hang down so as to drag along the ground;
"The bride's veiled trailed along the ground"
drag loosely along a surface; allow to sweep the ground;
"The toddler was trailing his pants"
"She trained her long scarf behind her"
- The dogs found the trail of the rabbit.
- I am going to meet him at the end of the trail.
- The carriage left a trail of dust.
- The wounded animal left a trail of blood behind it.
- The bride's long skirt trailed along behind her.
- They trailed by two goals in the second period.
- He trailed the beast to its lair.
- The child was trailing a toy cart.
- Reporters trailed him constantly.
- The kite's tail trailed in the air.
- A thin veil of mist trailed below.
- The ivies trail over the walls.
- The tablecloth trails on the floor.
- The children trailed behind their teacher.
- Everyone else came trailing behind.
- Hunters spent long days trailing over the desert.
- Her voice trailed away.
- The wounded soldiers trailed past us.
- Refugees trailed from their ruined village.
- The dog trailed him constantly.
- He came to see me and trailed a stranger.
- He is not willing to trail his classmates.
- The police trailed the criminal.
- The hunter was trailing a wild animal.
- They trailed the thieves to their hide-out.
- She trailed a toy cart on a string.
- The child trailed a toy horse after him.
- An aeroplane flew across the sky trailing white vapor.
- The hound found the trail of the rabbit.
- The wounded animal left a trail of blood.
- The men had followed desert trails for days.
- The car raised a trail of dust.
- Trails of smoke were coming from the factories.
- trail along (v.+adv.)
跟随 follow with sb
Her long skirt was trailing along in the mud.
His sister trailed along after him.
The tired children trailed along behind their parents.
- trail off (v.+adv.)
逐渐减弱或变小等; 离题而变得无效 to change gradually or wander from a course so as to become weak, ineffectual, etc.
The crowd began to trail off when the speaker continued for over an hour.
Her interest in the work soon trailed off.
她对这项工作的兴趣很快就减退了。trail off to〔into〕 sth
Her voice trailed off to a whisper.
The discussion trailed off into futilities.
- trail demurely 拘谨地跟随
- trail faithfully 忠诚地跟随
- trail incessantly 连续跟踪
- trail tediously 令人厌烦地跟随
- trail along after sb 慢吞吞地跟在某人后面走
- trail along behind sb 慢吞吞地跟在某人后面走
- trail one's feet along 拖着脚走
- trail away 逐渐减弱
- trail off 逐渐变小
- trail behind 跟在…后头走
- trail behind the leaders 跟着领路的人
- trail sb by 以…落后于某人
- trail from the chimney (烟)从烟囱里飘出来
- trail mud into the house 把污泥带进屋内
- trail on the floor (衣服)拖到地板上
- trail over the wall 蔓过墙
- trail past sb 拖着步子从某人身边走过
- trail sb to 跟踪某人到
Cheeks..Which a trail of golden hair Keeps from fading.出自： E. B. Browning
The curtain..is..so long that it trails on the ground.出自： P. Norman
Leaning back in the..boat with his hand trailing in the water.出自： E. Figes
- trail常与off连用,表示“逐渐减弱或变小等”“离题而变得无效”; 与along连用表示“跟随”。
- trail, chase, follow, pursue, tag, tail
- 1.follow指跟随起引导作用的人或物或遵循他人的计划; 而pursue指为达到某个目的而坚持不懈地紧跟、追赶或追求某人、某物或某种事业。跟随他人的计划时用follow,追随自己的计划时用pursue。例如:
- She has pursued the goal of perfection in her art.在艺术中,她追求完美。
- She pursued the study of French for four years.她坚持学了四年法语。
- The country has always pursued a policy of peace.该国一直奉行和平政策。
- 2.chase指迅速追赶在逃的目标以便将其抓获或赶走,而follow则指继之而来或去。tag指不断地纠缠或恼人的尾随某人; tail指紧密尾随并监视; trail指跟踪追击。例如:
- The dog chased a mouse, but could not catch it.这狗追赶老鼠,但没有捉住。
- The policeman chased the thief.警察追赶小偷。
- What are you tagging along for?You aren't invited.你怎么跟着我?又没邀请你。
- The detective tailed the thief through the crowd.侦探在人群中跟踪小偷。
- The hunter trailed the wounded buffalo through the bush.猎人穿过灌木林追猎受伤的水牛。
- 3.chase较follow, pursue更具感情色彩,除常表示不友好之外,其行动也可能是出于嬉戏或高兴。还可表示一种热切的,为满足情欲而进行的搜寻。例如:
- The boy chased his playmate around the block.那个男孩绕着街区追逐他的玩伴。
- He is the man who chased after woman all his life.他就是那个一生都在追求女人的男子。
- ☆ 1300年左右进入英语，直接源自古法语的trailler，意为拖；最初源自古典拉丁语的tragula，意为拖，拉。
- trailer n. 拖车,挂车;(电影或电视节目的)预告片