- [C]制动器; 闸; 刹车 device for reducing the speed of or stopping a car, bicycle, train, etc.
- vt. & vi. 刹车 (cause to) slow down or stop
a restraint used to slow or stop a vehicle
any of various ferns of the genus Pteris having pinnately compound leaves and including several popular houseplants
large coarse fern often several feet high; essentially weed ferns; cosmopolitan
an area thickly overgrown usually with one kind of plant
anything that slows or hinders a process;
"she wan not ready to put the brakes on her life with a marriage"
"new legislation will put the brakes on spending"
stop travelling by applying a brake;
"We had to brake suddenly when a chicken crossed the road"
cause to stop by applying the brakes;
"brake the car before you go into a curve"
- There's too much travel on the brake, it needs tightening.
- After the work, remember to shut off the brake and remain neatness.
- The brake doesn't grip properly.
- A lot of the cost of maintenance go into renew brake.
- The car in front of me stopped suddenly and I had to brake.
- The driver braked his car suddenly.
- My brakes failed.
- A driver uses brakes to arrest his car's speed.
- The rise in interest rates acted as a brake on expenditure.
- He braked suddenly.
- I braked hard as a dog ran onto the road in front of me.
- She braked suddenly to avoid the dog.
- The driver braked his car.
- apply brakes 用〔踩〕刹车
- press on the brake 踩刹车踏板
- put on the brake suddenly 紧急刹住
- release a brake 放开制动器
- slam on the brakes 把车刹住
- step on the brakes 把车刹住
- take off the brake 开闸
- act as a brake upon 阻碍,控制
- put a brake on 停止进行…
- put a brake on plans for expansion 停止进行扩充计划