become less in amount or intensity;
"The storm abated"
"The rain let up after a few hours"
reduce pressure or intensity;
"he eased off the gas pedal and the car slowed down"
- We mustn't let up, even though we're winning.
- The rain will let up soon and we can start out.
- Don't count on the bumper to hold up during a low-speed collision.
- Despite signs that the economy is picking up, a glut in manufacturing capacity will slow recovery.
- Let's end the wasteful competition.
- I gave up the study of Latin years ago.
- The negotiations were hung up for a week by the illness of the president.
- I was tempted to interrupt,but I realized that would be bad policy,So I let him talk himself out.