- 提防，看守，看着，警戒 ，守卫
- vt. & vi. 观看,注视 see what is happening
- vt. & vi. 照管 be responsible for sb/sth
- vt. & vi. 守护,保卫 guard against sb/sth
- [C] 表 a small clock to be worn
- [S] [U] 看管 the act of watching carefully
- a small portable timepiece
- a period of time (4 or 2 hours) during which some of a ship's crew are on duty
- a purposeful surveillance to guard or observe
- the period during which someone (especially a guard) is on duty
- a person employed to keep watch for some anticipated event
- the rite of staying awake for devotional purposes (especially on the eve of a religious festival)
- look attentively;
"watch a basketball game"
- follow with the eyes or the mind;
"Keep an eye on the baby, please!"
"The world is watching Sarajevo"
"She followed the men with the binoculars"
- see or watch;
"view a show on television"
"This program will be seen all over the world"
"view an exhibition"
"Catch a show on Broadway"
"see a movie"
- observe with attention;
"They watched as the murderer was executed"
- be vigilant, be on the lookout or be careful;
"Watch out for pickpockets!"
- observe or determine by looking;
"Watch how the dog chases the cats away"
- find out, learn, or determine with certainty, usually by making an inquiry or other effort;
"I want to see whether she speaks French"
"See whether it works"
"find out if he speaks Russian"
"Check whether the train leaves on time"
- I seldom play chess, but I like to watch.
- Watch what I do and how I do it.
- I was assigned to watch the road.
- We sat there watching basketball.
- How much is that watch?
- The police put a watch on the suspect's house.
- The guards are still on watch at midnight.
Are you going to play or only watch?
Some were playing cards, and others were watching.
She sat there watching, but said nothing.
If you watch carefully, you'll see how the trick is done.
Many companies have watched helplessly as their stock prices fell.
The nurse watched to see what would happen.
She watched beside her sick mother's bed for several nights.
Watch!That tree is going to fall on you!
They seldom watch television during the day.
I love to watch table-tennis matches.
We watched a football game yesterday.
They bought tickets to watch the games.
I came to watch the fun.
They watched the games while sitting under the trees.
They watched the country out of the window.
She watched his face anxiously.
Watch your money or it will be gone before payday.
You have to watch your words when you talk to the general.
I watch the boys at play.
I'll watch the patient while you are away.
The shepherds watched their flocks.
Watch the prisoner and make sure he doesn't escape.
Watch your chance and then run.
Watch your opportunity, and you will succeed.
You had better watch your time and then act.
It's a good plan, but you should watch your time if you want to make sure it's adopted .
She watched him in silence.
Watch the magician and try to figure out how he makes the rabbit disappear.
She watched the train till it disappeared from sight.
She had a feeling that she was being watched.
The parade was watched by thousands of people.
The situation is being closely watched.
The house is watched by guards.
Watch that he doesn't cheat you.
Watch that the baby doesn't fall.
Watch that the milk doesn't boil over.
We'll watch what's good and what's bad about him.
Watch what I do and how I do it.
Watch where you are going!
We were standing watching them skipping.
He had watched me grow from childhood.
He was watching the crowd go by.
I watched him enter that shop.
They watched the sun set behind the trees.
They watched a procession filing past.
He stopped to watch us working.
We watched the girls going through some of the movements they had just learned.
I used to sit and watch the boats moving down the river.
They watched Brooks being beaten.
Helpless, we watched a whole season's labour and half a year's food destroyed.
I watched a whole basket of apples thrown into the river.
My watch is fast.
They make watches.
He forgave her stealing his watch.
He got back the watch he lost.
Keep a close watch on everything that happened on the island.
The man's cry aroused the town watch.
In spite of the watch set on the house, the thief escaped.
A watch usually lasts four hours.
You'll take the first watch tonight.
Call out the watch!
- watch for (v.+prep.)
寻找; 等待 look for or expect sth watch for sb/sth
The two detectives stood there for an hour watching for the suspect.两个侦探在那里站了一个小时守候嫌疑犯。
I am watching for the postman all the time.我一直在等候着邮递员。
Will you watch for the bus while I go into the shop for a moment?你等候公共汽车,我到商店去一会儿,好吗?
I poked my head out of the window to watch for the signal.我把头伸出窗外,看发出信号没有。
Watch for our new improved product, which will be on the market next week!等着看我们新改进的产品吧,它们将于下星期开始在市场上销售。
Our units have watched for battle opportunities for quite a long time.我们部队等待战机已经很久了。watch for sb/sth to-v
I'm just watching for a chance to punish him in return!我正在伺机报复他呢!
We watched for them to pass.我们等待着他们过去。
He was watching for the man to leave the house.他在等候那个人从屋里出来。watch sth for sth
Watch this space for notice of our next sale.请在这地方看我们下次拍卖的预告。
Have you been watching the papers for news of changing exchange rates?你一直盯着看报上关于改变汇率的新闻吗?
- 寻找; 等待 look for or expect sth watch for sb/sth
- watch out (v.+adv.)
当心 be careful〔说明〕 watch out常不用于进行体,且常用于祈使句。 watch out
Watch out!This is a very busy road.当心!这条马路交通很繁忙。
Watch out!There is a car coming.小心!汽车来了。
Watch out!There is danger ahead.小心!前面有危险。
Watch out!The roof is falling!当心!屋顶要塌了!
You'll catch cold if you don't watch out; you need a warmer coat than that.如果你不注意,就会感冒,你需要穿厚一点的外套。watch out that-clause
Watch out that you don't catch cold, going out in the pouring rain.冒着瓢泼大雨出去,当心感冒。
But watch out that you don't get them into trouble.当心,别让他们碰到麻烦。
保持警觉 keep alertness watch out
We need to watch out here.Some dangerous gunners are said to be around this area.我们必须提高警惕。据说这一带有危险的枪手出没。
Are you all watching out?The Queen will come this way in a few minutes!你们都注意警戒了吗?过几分钟女王就要从这条路经过了!
- 当心 be careful〔说明〕 watch out常不用于进行体,且常用于祈使句。 watch out
- watch out for (v.+adv.+prep.)
当心,留神; 注意 be careful; remain alert ; be attentive or observant so that you notice sb/sth watch out for sb/sth
We should watch out for those friends in disguise.我们应当提防伪装的朋友。
He asked me to watch out for his uncle who would be wearing a green suit.他要我注意他那位穿一套绿色西装的叔叔。
The scouts are watching out for enemy patrols.侦察员提防着敌人的巡逻队。
Watch out for the dog!当心那条狗!
Watch out for cars when you cross the road.过马路时当心车辆!
He climbed the mountain carefully, all the time watching out for loose rocks.爬山时,他步步小心怕踩上松动的石头。
I'm always watching out for mistakes that I may have missed before.我总是警惕着过去可能没注意到的错误。
The doctor told her to watch out for symptoms of measles.医生叫她注意麻疹出现的症状。
Watch out for a chance to improve your position in the firm, they don't come very often.要注意抓住提高你在公司地位的机会,这样的机会不多。
Watch out for these pictures.注意这些影片的上映时间。
- 当心,留神; 注意 be careful; remain alert ; be attentive or observant so that you notice sb/sth watch out for sb/sth
- watch over (v.+prep.)
照管 be responsible for sb/sthShe is watching over her sick child.她在照料自己生病的孩子。
The mother bird is watching over her young. 雌鸟在照看幼鸟。
看守; 保护 guard or protect from harm or dangerThe dog watches over his master's house.这狗为主人看家。
They use specially trained dogs to watch over their sheep at night. 夜间他们用受过特殊训练的狗看守羊群。
Is anyone watching over the jewels while we're out? 我们出门时,有人照看珠宝吗?
Will you watch over my clothes while I have a swim? 我去游泳时,你替我照料一下衣物好吗?
The committee's responsibility is to watch over the safety of the workers. 委员会的责任在于保障工人的安全。
◇ 用于 be ～ed 结构
The safety of the wounded soldiers on their way to the base hospital must be watched over more vigilantly. 要绝对保证去后方医院的伤员们的安全。
He was watched over by a police. 他由一个警察看守着。
- 照管 be responsible for sb/sthShe is watching over her sick child.她在照料自己生病的孩子。
- be on the watch (for)
提防,警惕,当心 be on guard; be careful
The customs inspector was on the watch for diamond smugglers. 海关检查员正密切注视着钻石走私犯的活动。
The staff are always on the watch for shoplifters. 商店的员工们总是警惕着冒充顾客来行窃的扒手。
The conductor was always on the watch for such doings. 这个指挥总是提防这样的动作。
Be on the watch for thieves in this crowd. 在这些人群中要提防有小偷。
The police were on the watch for any trouble. 警察局提防出现任何乱子。
We were constantly on the watch,lest we should be surprised. 我们时常警惕着,唯恐被人袭击。
- 提防,警惕,当心 be on guard; be careful
- go on watch
上夜班,值勤 be on duty; keep guard
The men go on watch when they were working. 这些人上班是值夜班。
- 上夜班,值勤 be on duty; keep guard
- keep watch
站岗,守夜 keep guard; remain awake for devotional purpose
He kept watch while the other soldiers slept. 当其他的战士都睡觉的时候,他站岗。
He and the dog kept watch every night. 他和狗每天晚上都守夜。
He was to keep watch in the lighthouse. 该他到灯塔上值班。
He keeps watch during your absence. 你不在时他看守。
- 站岗,守夜 keep guard; remain awake for devotional purpose
- keep a good watch for
提防,警惕 be on watch; be careful
You must keep a good watch for the enemy. 对敌人你们必须保持警戒。
You must keep a good watch for wild animals. 你必须提防野兽。
- 提防,警惕 be on watch; be careful
- keep a watch on
监视,密切注视 keep guard; watch closely
The police are keeping a watch on his movement. 警方密切注视着他的动向。
The government is keeping a close watch on activities of that political party. 政府正密切注视着那政党的活动。
- 监视,密切注视 keep guard; watch closely
- keep a watch over
照看 look after
A man keeps watch over the bank at night. 有人在夜间看管银行。
The girls are keeping watch over the flock. 姑娘们看护她们的羊群。
The childcare worker kept a good watch over the children. 保姆一直把孩子照料得很好。
- 照看 look after
- maintain a watch
彻夜不眠,守夜 remain awake by night
The mother maintained a watch at her sick child's bedside. 母亲彻夜不眠守候在生病的孩子的床边。
- 彻夜不眠,守夜 remain awake by night
- on watch
值班,站岗,监视 on duty
He is the man on watch. 他就是那个值班的人。
Several sailors were on watch. 几个水手正在值班。
- 值班,站岗,监视 on duty
- watch sb's chance 等待〔窥伺〕时机
- watch sb's diet 注意饮食
- watch sb's dust 看(某人)迅速地做事
- watch sb's language 注意某人的语言
- watch sb's moment 等待〔窥伺〕时机
- watch sb's step 留心脚下,小心从事
- watch sb's time 等待〔窥伺〕时机
- watch sb's weight 注意体重
- watch television 看电视
- watch the development of affairs 注意事态的发展
- watch the dog 小心狗
- watch the events 注意事件
- watch the market 注意市场
- watch the performance 观看演出
- watch the progress 注意进展
- watch the situation 关注形势
- watch the stock mraket 注意股票市场的行情
- watch absently 心不在焉地观看
- watch anxiously 焦急地注视
- watch apprehensively 焦虑地观看
- watch attentively 专心地观察
- watch breathlessly 屏住气息地观看
- watch carefully 仔细看
- watch closely 密切关注
- watch eagerly 焦急地注视
- watch faithfully 忠实地守卫
- watch greedily 贪婪地注视着
- watch helplessly 无助地望着
- watch jealously 警惕地看着
- watch keenly 密切注视
- watch lazily 懒洋洋地观看
- watch minutely 仔细地观察
- watch narrowly 仔细地观察
- watch sharply 敏锐地观察
- watch slyly 偷看
- watch out 当心,提防,密切注意
- watch out for danger 注意危险
- watch out for pickpockets 谨防扒手
- watch out for the train 小心火车
- watch out for unexpected changes 注意意外变化
- watch at sb's bedside 守在某人床边
- watch for 守候,注意
- watch for a chance 等候机会
- watch for a friend 等待朋友
- watch for fire 小心火烛
- watch for symptoms of a disease 注意疾病的症状
- watch for the dawn 等待天明
- watch for the postman 等候邮递员来
- watch in silence 默默的注视某人
- watch over 照管,看守,保护
- watch over sb's property 照看某人的财产
- watch with much interest 以很大的兴趣观看
- adjust a watch 校准表
- assemble a watch 装配手表
- call watch 召集值班人
- call out the watch 召喊值班人
- carry a watch 戴表
- check a watch 检查手表
- consult sb's watch 看表,看时间
- draw sb's watch 掏出怀表
- embellish sb's watch 修饰表
- engrave sb's watch 刻表
- fix a watch 修表
- fondle a watch 抚弄表
- handle sb's watch to 向某人交班
- hock a watch 以表作抵押
- illuminate a watch 修饰表
- keep watch 担任警戒
- keep watch and ward 精心照料
- keep watch by sb's bed 在床边护理某人
- keep watch during the night 值夜班
- keep watch for the thief 防备盗贼
- look at a watch 看表
- lose a watch 丢失表
- lubricate a watch 给表上油
- mend a watch 修表
- observe sb's watch 看表,看时间
- overwind a watch 给表上发条
- produce watch 提出轮班时间
- pull out a watch 摘下表,拿出表
- relieve the watch 换班
- repair a watch 修表
- set a watch 调表的时间
- wear a watch 戴表
- wind up a watch 给表上发条
- adventuring watch 冒险监视
- advised watch 考虑过的轮班时间
- airy watch 空中观察
- brotherly watch 兄弟般的照管
- celestial watch 天体的观察
- close watch 密切注视
- faithful watch 忠实的警戒
- fierce watch 勇猛的守夜人
- furtive watch 窥视
- happy watch 高兴的观看
- incessant watch 不断的监视
- nice watch 好表,漂亮的表
- patient watch 耐心的监视
- small watch 小表
- solitary watch 单独监视
- strict watch 严格的监视
- sympathetic watch 同情的监视
- thrilling watch 令人激动的观看
- tireless watch 不停的监视
- unceasing watch 不停的监视
- unnatural watch 不自然的监视
- vigilant watch 警惕的监视
- waterproof watch 防水表
Fell into a sadness, then into a fast, Thence to a watch.出自：Hamlet,Shakespeare
Ladies of the parish had..offered..piously to watch with her.出自：H. James
- watch既可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词。用作及物动词时,可接名词、代词、that从句或由疑问词引导的从句作宾语,还可接以不带to的动词不定式、现在分词或过去分词充当补足语的复合宾语。用作不及物动词时,常与out, over等连用。
- Watch it!和Watch oneself!两者都常用于美国口语中,意为“小心!”。
- watch常与介词on, for, over连用。
- watch常与动词keep连用,其后接for, on, over时watch前可加也可不加不定冠词a,其后不接介词时,即keep watch作“站岗”“守业”解时, watch前不可加不定冠词。
- watch sb to/ -v ,watch sb v-ing
- watch, attend, mind, tend
这组词都有“照料(某人或某物)”的意思,在含义上略有不同：attend侧重“服侍使其更舒服”; mind侧重“保护其不出意外,不受损害”; tend侧重“注意某事使其正常运转”; watch侧重“预先做好防止发生危险的准备”,有连续性或专职性。例如:
- He attended her through her illness.
- There was nobody left to mind the shop.
- A farmer is tending his sheep.
- There was a policeman watching the pri- soner outside the house and making sure he didn't escape.
- 有位警察在监狱外监视那个犯人以 防他逃跑。
- watch, look, see
这三个词都有“看”的意思。其区别是：look指有意识的“动作”;see指有意或无意的“结果”;watch则指有意识地以期待、警觉等心情看上一段时间。例如:We looked but saw nothing.我们看了,可是什么也没看到。They are watching a TV play.他们在看电视剧。
- on watch, on the watch for
这两个短语在意思上有所区别：前者的意思是“值班,站岗,监视”, watch前没有定冠词; 后者意思是“密切注意,戒备”, watch前有定冠词。
误 I watched him to eat his breakfast.
正 I watched him eat his breakfast.
误 I watched him eat his breakfast.
正 I watched him eating his breakfast.
误 The boy was watched reading the novel all afternoon.
正 The boy was found reading the novel all afternoon.
析 表示“看见”“注视”时, watch一般不用于被动结构。
误 Did you see the TV last night?
正 Did you watch the TV last night?
正 Did you look at the TV last night?
误 We watched an extraordinary production of Hamlet last summer.
正 We saw an extraordinary production of Hamlet last summer.
析 “看电视”多说watch TV,偶尔也可以说look at TV,但“看戏,看电影”通常用see。
误 What time is your watch?
正 What time is it by your watch?
析 问手表上所指示的时间,主语一般用it, watch不能作主语。
误 My watch goes a minute behind a day.
正 My watch loses a minute a day.
正 My watch is slow by a minute a day.
正 My watch is a minute slow a day.
析 表示“手表、时钟快〔慢〕多长时间”一般不说go...behind〔before〕,可说gain〔lose〕...,还可用系表结构be fast〔slow〕 by...或be...fast〔slow〕。
误 I am his best friend, and I will always watch for him.
正 I am his best friend, and I will always watch over him.
正 I am his best friend, and I will always keep (a) watch over him.
析 表示“负责”“照看”“看守”的意思,可说watch over或keep (a) watch over,前者watch作动词,后者watch作名词。watch for的意思是“留心寻找”。
误 Be on watch for automobiles when you cross the street.
正 Be on the watch for automobiles when you cross the street.
析 be on the watch for sth ...是“小心…”的意思,定冠词the不可以省略。on watch表示“站岗”的意思。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的waccn，意为看管，觉醒。
- WATCH:Working Group on Assessment of Toxic Chemicals工作小组于评估有害的化学物质
- WATCH:Women and the Church女人和教堂
- WATCH:World Against Toys Causing Harm世界对玩具造成危害
- watch:watch n. 注视, 注意, 手表, 看守, 守护, 监视, 值班人vt. 看, 注视, 照顾, 监视, 警戒, 守护, 看守vi. 观看, 注视, 守侯adj. 手表的, 挂表的 英英解释:名词…