- vt. & vi. 停留; 停止 remain in the same place, same condition, etc.; not to leave
- vi. 继续处于某种状态 continue in a certain state
- [S] 逗留,停留 the action of halting; the state of being stopped
- continuing or remaining in a place or state;
"they had a nice stay in Paris"
"a lengthy hospital stay"
"a four-month stay in bankruptcy court"
- the state of inactivity following an interruption;
"the negotiations were in arrest"
"held them in check"
"during the halt he got some lunch"
"the momentary stay enabled him to escape the blow"
"he spent the entire stop in his seat"
- a judicial order forbidding some action until an event occurs or the order is lifted;
"the Supreme Court has the power to stay an injunction pending an appeal to the whole Court"
- a thin strip of metal or bone that is used to stiffen a garment (e.g. a corset)
- (nautical) brace consisting of a heavy rope or wire cable used as a support for a mast or spar
- stay the same; remain in a certain state;
"The dress remained wet after repeated attempts to dry it"
"He remained unmoved by her tears"
"The bad weather continued for another week"
- stay put (in a certain place);
"We are staying in Detroit; we are not moving to Cincinnati"
"Stay put in the corner here!"
"Stick around and you will learn something!"
"You can stay with me while you are in town"
"stay a bit longer--the day is still young"
- continue in a place, position, or situation;
"After graduation, she stayed on in Cambridge as a student adviser"
"Stay with me, please"
"despite student protests, he remained Dean for another year"
"She continued as deputy mayor for another year"
- remain behind;
"I had to stay at home and watch the children"
- stop or halt;
"Please stay the bloodshed!"
- stay behind;
"The smell stayed in the room"
"The hostility remained long after they made up"
- hang on during a trial of endurance;
"ride out the storm"
- stop a judicial process;
"The judge stayed the execution order"
- fasten with stays
- overcome or allay;
"quell my hunger"
- I stayed late at the party last night.
- You can stay at home and watch TV.
- Why don't you come to stay with us next time you visit Durham?
- The temperature has stayed hot this week.
- We must be able to stay impartial at all times.
- He made few friends during his stay in the village.
I'm in a hurry,I've no time to stay.
I don't live here.I'm only staying.
Stay!You've left your umbrella.
Do you think this fine weather has come to stay?
Our purpose was to make everyone realize that we were in the computer business to stay.
I am staying here for three days.
I arrived there and stayed there two months.
When speaking to an older person, stay on your feet.
You will have to run fast to stay abreast of our best runner and prevent him from winning.
If I can only stay ahead of the other runners, now that I am in the lead,I can win this race!
You'll have to keep working hard to stay ahead of others.
He told them to stay behind for a few minutes.
The pupil stayed behind to ask the teacher a question.
I stayed to see what would happen.
It grew late so we did not stay to see the play out.
She stayed to take care of her mother.
Stay and have dinner.
She is my girl and she stays my girl, understand?
He stayed a bachelor.
She stayed a spinster.
She stayed a reporter.
He knew the fiddler would always rather stay a slave in Virginia than go to Africa a free man.
The door stayed open to her room, and her voice carried through the house.
He still stayed healthy.
I stayed awake all the night through.
I hope the soup will stay warm till they come.
The temperature there has stayed hot this week.
The evergreen trees stay green all winter.
These things do not stay fresh in summer.
Please stay seated.
Though it was midnight, the lamp in his room stayed lit.
In this way these two planks do not stay combined.
You'd better stay the weekend.
He stayed the work and had the machinery removed.
She stayed her tears until her lover was out of sight.
They did everything they could to stay the spread of the disease.
They did nothing to stay the spread of the rumour.
There is nothing here to stay us in our flight.
The judge stayed the sentence until the following day.
I'm personally hopeful that the black horse will stay the distance.
No one expected her to stay the course. But she did.
She offered me a slice of bread to stay my stomach.
A glass of milk stayed me until meal time.
Michael, how about a place to stay the night?
Oh, you must stay to dinner,Jane.
We only intend to make a short stay here.
They have had an overnight stay in Karachi.
The judge granted the condemned man a stay for an appeal.
They were due to start demolishing the old theatre today but there's been a last minute stay of execution.
We benefited from a stay to the library.
The horse has good pace but no stay.
The boat,missing stays,was driven upon a flat.
This will put a stay on their activities.
- stay at (v.+prep.)
停留在…; 住在… remain behind at (a place) stay at sth
We stay at home on Sundays.星期天我们常呆在家里。
I'll stay at the bus stop while you go to see if there's a bus coming.你去看看有没有公共汽车驶来,我留在车站等着。
The others are going out, but I think I'll stay at home.Suit yourself.别人都出去了,但我想留在家里。请随你的便吧。
They succeeded in persuading me to stay at home.他们成功地说服了我留在家里。
In modern society, fewer women stay at home to look after their children.They have their own jobs.在现代社会里,很少有妇女呆在家里照顾孩子。她们有自己的工作。
- 停留在…; 住在… remain behind at (a place) stay at sth
- stay away (v.+adv.)
离开,缺席 be absent stay away
I wonder why she is staying away.我不知道她为什么还不来。
Why don't you stay away if you don't like us?你要是不喜欢我们为什么不离开?stay away from sth
Why did you stay away from school for weeks at a time?你为什么一次缺几个星期的课?
She is deliberately staying away from the meetings.她有意回避会议。
- 离开,缺席 be absent stay away
- stay down (v.+adv.)
- 卧倒 keep downThe men in the trenches stayed down while the enemy shells were exploding.当敌人的炮弹爆炸时,堑壕里的人卧倒了。
- 呆在水面之下 remain below the surface of waterI didn't expect him to stay down so long.我没料到他在水下呆那么久。
存在胃里 remain in stomachThe food seems to have stayed down this time.这次,吃的东西似乎存住了。
He has stopped vomiting and his food should stay down now. 他已不再呕吐,吃的东西可能存在胃里了。
- stay in (v.+adv.)
留在家中,不外出 remain at home; not go outHe doesn't usually stay in on Friday evenings.他星期五晚上通常都不在家。
We stay in almost every night and watch television. 我们几乎每个晚上都在家里看电视。
He never stays in a single night. He goes out every night. 他从不在家过夜,他每晚都外出。
Let's stay in tonight and read, instead of going to a movie. 今天晚上咱们就在家里看书,不去看电影。
- 保持住 remain in positionI am not sure if these props will stay in long enough to do the work.这些支柱能否维持到工作结束,我对此没有把握。
- 留在家中,不外出 remain at home; not go outHe doesn't usually stay in on Friday evenings.他星期五晚上通常都不在家。
- stay out (v.+adv.)
留在户外,不在家中 be out of the house; not be at home stay out
It's very cold. Don't stay out.天很冷,别呆在外面。
It's unusual for them to stay out so long.他们很少在外边呆那么长时间。
I promised my mother that I would not stay out late tonight.我答应母亲今晚不在外面呆得太晚。
避开,不插手 avoid stay out
Get out and stay out!滚出去,少管闲事!stay out of sth
He always tries to stay out of other people's affairs that don't concern him.他总是力图避开与己无关的闲事。
Father hoped we'd stay out of trouble in the big city.父亲希望我们在大城市里别惹麻烦。
It's not easy for John to stay out of debt while prices are rising so fast.在物价飞涨的时候约翰要想不欠债很不容易。
- 留在户外,不在家中 be out of the house; not be at home stay out
- stay put
停住不动 not move; remain in one place
I like to stay put by the fire on a cold day. 在寒冷的日子里我喜欢一动不动靠近火坐着。
The little boy is so full of energy that he refuses to stay put for any length of time. 这孩子精力旺盛,一刻也呆不住。
The commander ordered his men to stay put. 司令员命令士兵们停留在原地。
He ordered them to stay put. 他命令他们原地不动。
Don't go whatever happens, stay put. 不管发生什么情况都不要走,就在这儿呆下去。
I can't get this door to stay put. 我没法使这扇门不动。
There is much speculation as to who will stay put. 对于谁将留级,有许多揣测。
Although I knot my tie carefully, it never seems to stay put. 虽然我打领带很小心,但是好像总是系不住。
You stay put,I'll go and buy the tickets and come back. 你留在这儿不要走,我去买了票就回来。
There,I've fixed the handle, it should stay put now. 瞧,把手我已经修好,现在总算装牢了吧!
- 停住不动 not move; remain in one place
- stay to (v.+prep.)
不与人交往 keep to oneself stay to oneself
He decided it would be best to stay to himself until the pagan festivities were over.他决定最好的办法是在异教徒的节日活动结束前,他不和任何人交往。
- 不与人交往 keep to oneself stay to oneself
- stay up (v.+adv.)
悬在原位上 remain up in position stay up
The temporary roof won't stay up much longer.那临时屋顶挺不了多久。
These sticks are not strong enough to stay up.这些棍子不够结实,撑不住屋顶。stay sth ⇔ up 用于 be～ed 结构
The valuable painting by a famous artist has been stayed up on the wall for many years.一位著名画家的珍贵油画已在墙上挂了许多年。
不睡觉,熬夜 remain awake; not go to bed stay up
We stayed up until midnight talking about our work.我们谈论工作一直到深夜还没睡。
His tender wife always stays up until he comes back.她那温柔的妻子总是等他回来才睡。
The patient was so ill that the nurse had to stay up all night.这病人病得很重,护士只好整夜不睡照顾他。
漂浮,不掉 not fall or sink stay up
If you do fall out of the boat, your lifejacket will help you to stay up until we can get you out.如果你真从船上掉下去了,救生衣就可帮助你漂浮在水面上,直到我们把你搭救上来。
- 悬在原位上 remain up in position stay up
- stay with (v.+prep.)
在…家里作客; 继续为…工作 be a guest of sb; continue to work for sb stay with sb/sth
I hope you'll stay with me on your next visit too.希望你下次来时还在我家住。
How long do you intend to stay with the firm?你准备在公司干多久?
- 在…家里作客; 继续为…工作 be a guest of sb; continue to work for sb stay with sb/sth
- stay within (v.+prep.)
遵守…; 保持在…之内 continue to obey or be limited by sth stay within sth
The police are watching to see that all motorists stay within the new speed limit.警察在值勤,以确保汽车驾驶员均能遵守新的限速。
Make sure that your spending on this contract stays within bounds, or the firm could be in trouble.在此合同上的花费一定不要超出限额,不然公司会有困难。
- 遵守…; 保持在…之内 continue to obey or be limited by sth stay within sth
- stay a bachelor 还是单身
- stay a complete mystery 一直是个谜
- stay a fisherman 仍是个渔民
- stay bloodshed 制止流血
- stay one's anger 息怒
- stay one's hunger 暂时充饥
- stay one's thirst 暂时止渴
- stay sb's hand 使某人住手
- stay the progress of a disease 防止疾病恶化
- stay angry 一直在生气
- stay confused 迷惑不解
- stay constant 保持不变
- stay expressionless 毫无表情
- stay healthy 保持健康
- stay hungry 只好饿着
- stay linked 还连在一起
- stay long 保持得很久
- stay modest 保持谦虚
- stay motionless 仍然不动
- stay prudent 保持谨慎
- stay single 保持单身
- stay tight 仍然是紧密的
- stay unchanged 依然不变
- stay unconvinced 仍然不相信
- stay unfinished 仍然未完成
- stay unknown 依旧不详
- stay unsettled 仍然未解决
- stay young 保持年轻
- stay adamantly 坚定地停留
- stay briefly 短暂地停留
- stay customarily 习惯地停留
- stay fruitlessly 无效益地停留
- stay habitually 习惯地停留
- stay perpetually 连续不断地停留
- stay stubbornly 固执地停留
- stay temporarily 暂时停留
- stay traditionally 习惯地停留
- stay transiently 短暂停留
- stay away 不在家,外出
- stay away from home 不在家
- stay away from school 旷课
- stay behind 别人离开后仍留在原地,留下来
- stay down 蹲下,卧倒,停留在下面
- stay in 呆在家里,放学后留在学校
- stay in after school 放学后(被)留下来
- stay on 继续停留,(灯)继续亮着,(电视)继续开着
- stay on for a bit 再呆一会儿
- stay out 呆在户外留在露天里,避开,不插手
- stay out after dark 天黑后在户外
- stay up 熬夜,守夜,不倒,不沉
- stay up all night 通宵未睡，熬通宵
- stay at a hotel 住在旅馆里
- stay for 为…而停留
- stay for a meal 留下吃饭
- stay off 让开,不接近,不吃,不喝
- stay off the bottle 不喝酒
- stay off the grass 不进入草地
- stay out of trouble 避开麻烦
- stay to supper 留下吃晚饭
- stay with 跟…在一起,使…继续下去
- stay with friends 与朋友们住在一起
- stay with the project 把这项工程继续进行下去
- extend one's stay 延长逗留时间
- have a stay 逗留
- make a stay of nine days 作九天的逗留
- put a stay upon sb's activity 制止某人的活动
- request of stay of execution 请求延期执行
- month's stay 一个月的停留
They..drive..into a stall behind my tent, uprooting the tent stays.出自：P. Matthiessen
In this world of change the point of view..never continues in one stay.出自：J. A. Froude
Emily scarcely stayed to thank him.出自：A. Radcliffe
A Water-man..hath his Soueraigne by the hand, to stay him in and out the Barge.出自：John Taylor
- 在口语中常用stay and to/- v 代替stay to- v 。
- make a stay的意思是“逗留”“呆一段时间”; miss stays的意思是“(帆船)抢风调向没有成功”; put a stay on的意思是“制止”。
- stay, remain
这两个词都有“留下,逗留”之意,其区别是：stay通常指在某地呆一段时间而不离开,或暂时留〔住〕在某地,尤指以宾客身份逗留; 而remain则指别人已经走了,而某人仍在原地。例如:He was staying at his father's.他在父亲家里暂住。
- stay, abide, inhabit, live, reside
这几个词都有“住”的意思。其区别在于:live作“居住,住”解时,是普通用语,指住在某一地方,多用于日常生活口语中,是不及物动词,后面常与介词连用;reside为正式用语,指在某地固定居住或合法地居住;inhabit指人或动物因适应所生活地域的自然环境而定居下来,通常用作及物动词;abide常用在法律和文学上,是较为陈旧、文气的用法;stay指暂时住在某处,常用于旅途中在某处住宿,是不及物动词。例如:While the children are living under my roof, they will have to obey my orders.孩子们住在我这儿就得听我的话。The child abided with his grandparents for three years before returning to his home.那个孩子和祖父母一起居住了三年才回到自己的家里。This district is densely inhabited.这个地区的人口密度很高。They reside in a cottage at the foot of the mountain.他们居住在山脚下的一所小屋里。Where are you staying?你住在哪里?
- stay with, live with, lodge with
这三个短语意思相近,但也有差别:live with的意思是“寄宿在某人处,与某人同居”;lodge with用于古语体口语中,指投宿在熟人处;stay with指作为客人短期地住在某人家里。例如:She lived with him for a couple of years before they got married.他们在结婚前已同居了二三年。When we go to the countryside, we lodge with my uncle.我们去乡下寄住在我叔叔家。I stayed with the governor when I was in Celon.我在锡兰时住在总督家里。
- stay up, sit up, stop up
这三个短语均可表示“熬夜”。其用法区别在于：sit up和stay up常跟现在分词短语,表示伴随动作; 而stop up常跟动词不定式表示目的。例如:They sat up all night discussing these questions.他们整宿没睡,讨论这些问题。We stayed up until midnight talking about our work.我们谈论工作一直到深夜还没睡。I stopped up to watch the match.我熬夜观看比赛。
- I stayed with a friend.
- I stayed at a friend's house.
- He often stays to have dinner with us after the game.
- He often stays and has dinner with us after the game.
- They picked some broad beans to stay their hunger.
- They picked some broad beans to stay their stomach.
- He stayed at home all day yesterday.(BrE)
- He stayed home all day yesterday.(AmE)
误 I'll be able to live at my aunt's house while I'm in the town.
正 I'll be able to stay at my aunt's house while I'm in the town.
析 stay at指“短时间的居住〔停留〕”,而live at指“长时间的居住”。
- ☆ 1440年进英入语，直接源自中古法语的estai；最初源自古典拉丁语的stare，意为站立。
- v.(动词) abide adjourn allay arrest check continue curb defer delay detain endure wait
- n.(名词) delay halt holiday pause
- stay:stay n. 逗留, 延缓, 中止, 支柱v. 在, 暂住, 坚持, 止住, 抑制, 延缓, 停(下) 英英解释:名词stay:1. continuing or remaining in a pla…