- vt. & vi. (使)耽搁,延误 (cause to) be late; move or act slowly, especially on purpose
- vt. 推迟,使延期 put (sth) off until later; postpone
- [U]耽搁,延迟 delaying or being delayed
- [C]被耽搁〔推迟〕的事件或时间 an example of being delayed; amount of time for which sb/sth is delayed
time during which some action is awaited;
"instant replay caused too long a delay"
"he ordered a hold in the action"
the act of delaying; inactivity resulting in something being put off until a later time
cause to be slowed down or delayed;
"Traffic was delayed by the bad weather"
"she delayed the work that she didn't want to perform"
act later than planned, scheduled, or required;
"Don't delay your application to graduate school or else it won't be considered"
stop or halt;
"Please stay the bloodshed!"
slow the growth or development of;
"The brain damage will retard the child's language development"
- It was impossible to delay her at such a crisis.
- We decided to delay our wedding until next year.
- Our plane was delayed by fog.
- The weather is responsible for the delay.
- Delay is not permissible, even for a single day.
- There was a delay of two hours before the plane took off.
- Don't delay.The bell is going to ring.Please turn in your paper immediately.
- To delay would make the cure much more difficult.
- Realizing the urgency of the matter, he dared not delay.
- They are trying to delay until help arrives.
- Tell him I have a headache,I won't delay him today.
- Heavy traffic delayed us.
- His original plan was to finish their journey in seven days, but the blizzard delayed them.
- I wrote to my parents last night.I couldn't delay it any longer.
- I've decided to delay my visit to my parents' home.
- We have delayed publication of the book till spring.
- The plans for the magazine were delayed.
- The train has been delayed by an accident.
- The flight was delayed due to bad weather.
- I am sorry I was delayed the other day, and unable to keep my appointment with you.
- I was delayed by the heavy traffic.
- Why have they delayed opening the new school?
- He delayed fixing the roof although it leaked badly.
- His high temperature delayed having an infected tooth out.
- Why have you delayed sending the injured man to the hospital?
- Please don't delay your sending in the form.
- Facer always delays writing me a letter.
- He delayed my calling the police.
- His delay made the teacher angry.
- The delay proved fatal to our plans.
- It is required of every man that no delay should be made.
- The bus was held up by the snowstorm, thus causing the delay.
- We were so late that we could afford no further delay.
- Repairs on the dam break no delay.
- I was angry about the delay.
- After much delay, the results of the exam were published.
- He received the visitor after some intentional delay.
- Things were working well, when we were brought up against unexpected delay.
- It will take an hour to reach the airport, allowing for traffic delay.
- This work admits of no delay.
- We shall inform you of fresh developments without delay.
- War is certain, we should arm without delay.
- There has been too much delay already; what we need is action.
- The delays were caused by events beyond our control.
- I hope we shall not have any more delays.
- We were given a delay of 24 hours to gather more evidence.
- There will be some delays on all roads because of heavy traffic this morning.
- After a delay of two hours the plane took off.
- After many delays we arrived home at last.
- A delay of just a few days in sowing and a whole year's hard work might come to nothing.
- The delay in the power station expansion project has affected the supply of electricity.
- The strike caused a great delay in the delivery of the mail.
- Excuse my delay in answering your letter.
- Make no delay in doing what is good.
- We demanded delay in repaying our debts.
- There must be no delay in forwarding the goods.
- He was criticized for his delay in dealing with the matter.
- They were arguing for a delay in introducing the new mower to the public.
- delay for (v.+prep.)
耽搁…时间 stop over a time
delay for some time
Disease prevention is like putting out a fire.We can't delay for one minute.
He delayed for a long time before accepting my offer.
She delayed a few hours in order to see me.
她为了能见到我,拖延了几个小时。delay sb/sth for some time
You have delayed me for three hours.
The accident delayed the train for two hours.
- delay a settlement of the question 推迟解决问题
- delay answering the letter 推迟答复
- delay dinner 推迟宴会
- delay one's departure 延误某人启程
- delay one's marriage 推迟结婚
- delay one's plan 延误计划
- delay one's trip 耽误某人的旅行
- delay one's work 耽误工作
- delay the appointment 推迟任命
- delay the discussion on sth 推迟讨论某事
- delay the flight 延误航班
- delay the game 推迟比赛
- delay the outbreak of the war 推迟战争的爆发
- delay treatment 延误治疗
- delay disappointingly 失望地延误
- delay heartbreakingly 痛心地耽误
- delay immeasurably 无限地延期
- delay injuriously 有害地延误
- delay painfully 痛苦地延误
- delay seriously 严重耽误
- delay slightly 稍稍推迟
- delay unaccountably 莫名其妙地延期
- delay unfortunately 不幸地延误
- delay unreasonably 不合理地延长
- delay uselessly 没必要地延期
- great delay 严重的耽搁
- long delay 长期拖延
- serious delay 严重的延误
- unnecessary delay 不必要的耽搁
- unreasonable delay 无故的拖延
- after several delays 几经耽搁
- owing to postal delays 由于邮递的耽搁
- without delay 不延迟地,立即
- without the least delay 毫不延迟地
For who would bear..the law's delay.出自：Hamlet , Shakespeare
What the hell's all this delay for, Mr Hornblower? D'you want us to miss the tide?出自： C. S. Forester
Th' unprofitable moments..That..still delay Life's instant business to a future day.出自： Pope
As the tender ash delays To clothe herself, when all the woods are green.出自： Tennyson
Mozart had works complete in his head, and delayed writing them down until the last possible minute.出自： A. C. Boult
- delay可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词。用作及物动词时,接名词、代词或动名词作宾语,不接动词不定式作宾语。接表人的名词或代词作宾语时,一般译为“使某人误事”或“使某人慢下来”; 接表事〔事物〕的名词或代词作宾语时,通常译为“推迟〔耽搁〕做某事”。
- delay指“耽搁,延迟”这一行为或情况本身时,是不可数名词; 表示具体的“被耽搁〔推迟〕的事件或时间”时,是可数名词。
- delay在句中可用作主语、宾语或表语。常与“in+ v -ing”连用。
I have to delay answering his question.
Excuse me for my delay in answering your question.
- delay v-ing, delay in v-ing
- They delayed publishing the article.
- Don't delay in answering the letter.
- delay, detain, retard, slacken, slow
- 这组词都可表示“使某人〔事〕落后于”原计划的安排或通常的进展速度。它们之间的区别是:delay主要指因某事的干扰而妨碍按时完成或到达; detain主要指耽误时间,不能按时到达或离开,也可指不能完成想完成的事情; retard主要指减慢运动、进步速度; slow常与up或down连用,指降低进步的速度,强调主观的意图和目的性; slacken侧重某种松弛〔懈〕。例如:
- I was detained late in the factory.厂里有事我无法脱身,很晚才离开。
- Cold weather retards the growth of the crops.寒冷的天气妨碍作物的生长。
- His bad leg slows him down a lot.他那条受伤的腿使他的速度大受影响。
- Don't slacken your efforts when the job is only half done.工作只做到一半时可别松劲。
- delay, dawdle, lag, loiter, procrastinate
- 这组词都可表示因行动或动作缓慢而使进步受阻或工作没有完成。它们之间的区别是:delay常指拖延某事(如出发、完成必要的工作等); procrastinate常指因懒惰、匆忙、冷淡或拖拉的习惯造成耽搁; lag主要指不能保持应有的速度去达到某个目的; loiter主要指进行中或完成工作时的耽搁,也可指因闲逛而落后; dawdle语义比loiter稍弱,侧重闲散、思想不集中而多花时间或浪费时间。例如:
- He procrastinated in making an appointment to see his doctor.他迟迟不与他的医生预约看病。
- The small boy soon became tired and lagged far behind.这小男孩一会儿就累了,远远地落到了后面。
- We don't increase our earnings by loitering over our work.我们靠磨洋工是不会增加收入的。
- Ade dawdled all the way to school.艾德在上学途中磨磨蹭蹭的。
误 He apologized to her for the delay to reply to a letter.
误 He apologized to her for the delay of replying to a letter.
正 He apologized to her for the delay in replying to a letter.
- ☆ 13世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古法语的delaier：de(离开）+laier(让），意为让……离开；最初源自古典拉丁语的laxare，意为解散，放松。