- vt. & vi. 继续,连续 go on; go further (without stopping or after stopping)
- continue a certain state, condition, or activity;
"Keep on working!"
"We continued to work into the night"
"We went on working until well past midnight"
- continue talking;
"I know it's hard,"
"but there is no choice"
"carry on--pretend we are not in the room"
- keep or maintain in unaltered condition; cause to remain or last;
"preserve the peace in the family"
"continue the family tradition"
"Carry on the old traditions"
- move ahead; travel onward in time or space;
"We proceeded towards Washington"
"She continued in the direction of the hills"
"We are moving ahead in time now"
- allow to remain in a place or position or maintain a property or feature;
"We cannot continue several servants any longer"
"She retains a lawyer"
"The family's fortune waned and they could not keep their household staff"
"Our grant has run out and we cannot keep you on"
"We kept the work going as long as we could"
"She retained her composure"
"this garment retains its shape even after many washings"
- do something repeatedly and showing no intention to stop;
"We continued our research into the cause of the illness"
"The landlord persists in asking us to move"
- continue after an interruption;
"The demonstration continued after a break for lunch"
- continue in a place, position, or situation;
"After graduation, she stayed on in Cambridge as a student adviser"
"Stay with me, please"
"despite student protests, he remained Dean for another year"
"She continued as deputy mayor for another year"
- span an interval of distance, space or time;
"The war extended over five years"
"The period covered the turn of the century"
"My land extends over the hills on the horizon"
"This farm covers some 200 acres"
"The Archipelago continues for another 500 miles"
- exist over a prolonged period of time;
"The bad weather continued for two more weeks"
- He is to continue as manager.
- They continued down until they came to some pockets of natural gas.
- We will continue with the payments for another year.
- Wet weather may continue for a few more days.
- The fighting around the airport continued for a week before the enemy was defeated.
If this drought continued, it would spoil everything.
The rain continued all day.
The desert continues as far as the eye could reach.
The children must continue at school till July.
If sales continue at their present rate, we will make record profits this year.
The earthquake continued for about two minutes.
The fighting continued for a week.
The road continues in a straight line for five miles.
We became good friends, and our friendship continued to his death.
The exhibition will continue until August.
After a short break the game continued.
After a ten-minute break, the class continued.
The meeting will be continued after a recess.
He continued at his post.
He is to continue as manager.
Beef prices had continued to be high in most areas of the country.
He continued to be obstinate.
She continued sullen.
That naughty boy continues lazy.
The patient continues unconscious.
He continued faithful to his cause.
The weather will continue fine in two days.
The weather continues warm.
I continue angry with him.
How long can they continue this damaging strike?
They want to continue their education.
He continued the boring work day after day.
Although they were confronted with many difficulties, they continued the accusation.
We may continue the traction up to three weeks, until the fracture is healed.
Why don't you continue the medicine?
Continue our meeting!
I did my work in day time, meanwhile I continued the investigations in my spare time.
More and more people continue their education by attending night school in recent years.
He will be continued in office.
The technical innovation will be continued with the help of some experts.
Our present policy is continued without interference.
The meeting will be continued after a recess.
The story will be continued next week.
The case was continued until next week.
The English program will be continued at the same time next Saturday.
Despite having new owners, the company will continue to be run by its present management.
Despite attempts to call them to order, the audience continued to make a lot of noise.
The window continued to creak all night.
They continued to meet daily.
She continued to play the piano.
He continued to work on the book during his long illness.
He continued to live with his parents after his marriage.
I signed to him to keep away, but he continued to advance.
In recent years,Non-OPEC oil production has continued to rise.
Zaire's international debts continued to climb.
If prices continue to advance, poor people will find it hard to live.
Prices continue to rise.
It continues to rain.
They continue to walk after a recess.
He continued working when he was ill.
He continued writing his diaries until he died.
He continued teaching in Wuhan.
The snow continues falling.
Edison liked to allow other people to take care of business matters for him, while he continued inventing.
Are you going to continue gardening after dinner?
The politician continued that he thought the government should call on election.
Rose continued that she thought the work should be finished by the end of the year.
“And so,” she continued,“the fight for equality must go on.”
“Then,” he continued,“an idea suddenly occurred to me.”
They will continue Mr. Kabe as principal of the school.
We decided to continue him as our monitor.
- continue on (v.+adv.)
继续发展 go on continue sth ⇔ on
If the company continues on this course it's heading for financial trouble.如果公司继续这样下去,它就会陷入财政困难。
- 继续发展 go on continue sth ⇔ on
- continue with (v.+prep.)
继续 go on doing〔with〕 sth; carry on continue with sth/v-ing/wh-clause
The teacher told the class to continue with their work while he was out of the classroom.老师让学生们在他离开教室时继续做作业。
He continued with his reading as if nothing important had happened.他若无其事地又继续看他的书。
Please continue with what you were doing before I came in.请继续干我进来前的事。
- 继续 go on doing〔with〕 sth; carry on continue with sth/v-ing/wh-clause
- continue the accusation 继续诉讼
- continue the action 延续某种行为
- continue the arguing 继续辩论
- continue the campaign 继续战斗
- continue the competition 继续竞赛
- continue the discussion 继续讨论
- continue the education 继续教育
- continue the game 继续比赛
- continue the journey 继续旅行
- continue the meal 继续进餐
- continue the meeting 继续开会
- continue the performance 继续表演
- continue the publication 继续出版
- continue the speech 继续讲演
- continue the story 继续讲故事
- continue the study 继续学习
- continue the subscription 继续订阅
- continue the talking and laughing 不停地谈笑
- continue the walk 继续步行
- continue the work 继续工作
- continue all day 终日不停
- continue calmly 平静地继续
- continue facetiously 可笑地继续着
- continue hopefully 怀有希望地继续
- continue imperturbably 沉着地继续
- continue mercilessly 无情地继续
- continue obstinately 依然固执
- continue passionately 热烈地进行着
- continue presumptuously 依然傲慢
- continue relentlessly 不懈地坚持着
- continue uncomplainingly 毫无怨言地继续
- continue voluntarily 自愿地继续
- continue down 持续
- continue on 继续
- continue sb as sth 让某人当…
- continue at one's post 留任原职
- continue at school for another year 继续学习一年
- continue by 以…继续下去
- continue for about two minutes 持续两分钟
- continue for miles 延伸好几英里
- continue from the previous page 接上页
- continue in a very depressed state 仍然不景气
- continue in command 继续担任指挥
- continue in one's bad behaviour 行为仍然不良
- continue in power 继续当权
- continue in weak health 身体还是很弱
- continue far into the night 继续到深夜
- continue into this day 持续到今天
- continue through 20 years 持续了20年
- continue to the highway 通向公路
- continue to the present 持续到现在
- continue until August 直到8月份
- continue with 继续…
- continue with one's work 接着干
To continue the struggle.出自：G. Bancroft
Come to the Soviet Union and continue your studies there.出自：E. Hemingway
- still continue是个很多余的用法，应该避免，去掉still，用continue就可以了；
The baby continued to cry all night.
The baby continued to cry (或crying) all night.
句子不可改为The baby continued to cry (或 crying) at eleven o'clock。
continue解释为“(在停止后）继续……”的时候，后接的宾语常有story， article， narrative，discourse，journey等。
The author will continue the story in another volume.
Her temper continued uncertain.
- continue的基本意思是“继续”,指动作或状态的继续或持续不中断。可表示一件事一直在做,中间没有停歇; 也可以表示中间有一个中断,又接着做下去。
- continue还可用作系动词,接(to be+) adj. 或as+ n. 作表语, to be常可以省略。
- abide, continue，endure，last，persist
这几个词都含有无限期地存在或处于特定进程、状态中的意思，即“继续”“存在”，其区别在于:（1）从含意上说：abide强调稳定与持久；continue强调没有结束，而不在乎其持续时间或性质；last强调其存在时间超过正常或所期望（有限定词限定时除外）；pesist也强调持续时间超过正常或规定，另外，在指偶发性事件时还常含复发之意；而endure还多一层抗争的意味，尢指与破坏性的因素抗争。（2）从用法上说：abide,endure,persist是不及物动词；而continue和last则既可用作不及物动词，也可用发作及物动词。例如：Though many features were abiding, the changes were much felt.尽管某些特征依然存在，仍可感到发生的各种变化。The weather continued fine.天气仍然很好。The war lasted five years.这场战争连续打了5年。The hot weather lasted until September.炎热的天气一直持续到9月。The tendency still persists.那种倾向依然存在。His fame endures for ever.他的声名永垂不朽。
- continue resume succeed go on
误 The weather is still continuing cold and wet.
正 The weather continues cold and wet.
- ☆ 14世纪中期进入英语，直接源自古法语的continuer；最初源自古典拉丁语的continurae，意为制作或连续的。
- continue:continue v. 继续, 连续, 延伸习惯用语to be continued 待续（用于报刊上连载的文章等）…