- vt. & vi. 检查,核对 examine in order to learn whether sth is correct
- vt. & vi. 阻碍,制止; 抑制 stop, control, or hold back
- [C]检查,核对 an examination to make certain that sth is correct or in good condition
- [S]制止,抑制 (a means of) the prevention of movement or development
- a written order directing a bank to pay money;
"he paid all his bills by check"
- an appraisal of the state of affairs;
"they made an assay of the contents"
"a check on its dependability under stress"
- the bill in a restaurant;
"he asked the waiter for the check"
- the state of inactivity following an interruption;
"the negotiations were in arrest"
"held them in check"
"during the halt he got some lunch"
"the momentary stay enabled him to escape the blow"
"he spent the entire stop in his seat"
- additional proof that something that was believed (some fact or hypothesis or theory) is correct;
"fossils provided further confirmation of the evolutionary theory"
- the act of inspecting or verifying;
"they made a check of their equipment"
"the pilot ran through the check-out procedure"
- a mark indicating that something has been noted or completed etc.;
"as he called the role he put a check mark by each student's name"
- something immaterial that interferes with or delays action or progress
- a mark left after a small piece has been chopped or broken off of something
- a textile pattern of squares or crossed lines (resembling a checkerboard);
"she wore a skirt with checks"
- the act of restraining power or action or limiting excess;
"his common sense is a bridle to his quick temper"
- obstructing an opponent in ice hockey
- (chess) a direct attack on an opponent's king
- examine so as to determine accuracy, quality, or condition;
"check the brakes"
"Check out the engine"
- make an examination or investigation;
"check into the rumor"
"check the time of the class"
- be careful or certain to do something; make certain of something;
"He verified that the valves were closed"
"See that the curtains are closed"
"control the quality of the product"
- lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or keep within limits;
"moderate your alcohol intake"
"hold your tongue"
"hold your temper"
"control your anger"
- stop for a moment, as if out of uncertainty or caution;
"She checked for an instant and missed a step"
- put a check mark on or near or next to;
"Please check each name on the list"
"tick off the items"
"mark off the units"
- slow the growth or development of;
"The brain damage will retard the child's language development"
- be verified or confirmed; pass inspection;
"These stories don't check!"
- be compatible, similar or consistent; coincide in their characteristics;
"The two stories don't agree in many details"
"The handwriting checks with the signature on the check"
"The suspect's fingerprints don't match those on the gun"
- block or impede (a player from the opposing team) in ice hockey
- develop (children's) behavior by instruction and practice; especially to teach self-control;
"Parents must discipline their children"
"Is this dog trained?"
- consign for shipment on a vehicle;
"check your luggage before boarding"
- hand over something to somebody as for temporary safekeeping;
"Check your coat at the door"
- abandon the intended prey, turn, and pursue an inferior prey
- stop in a chase especially when scent is lost;
"The dog checked"
- mark into squares or draw squares on; draw crossed lines on
- decline to initiate betting
- hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of;
"Arrest the downward trend"
"Check the growth of communism in South East Asia"
"Contain the rebel movement"
"Turn back the tide of communism"
- place into check;
"He checked my kings"
- write out a check on a bank account
- find out, learn, or determine with certainty, usually by making an inquiry or other effort;
"I want to see whether she speaks French"
"See whether it works"
"find out if he speaks Russian"
"Check whether the train leaves on time"
- verify by consulting a source or authority;
"check the spelling of this word"
"check your facts"
- arrest the motion (of something) abruptly;
"He checked the flow of water by shutting off the main valve"
- make cracks or chinks in;
"The heat checked the paint"
- become fractured; break or crack on the surface only;
"The glass cracked when it was heated"
- Do look out for spelling mistakes when you check your homework.
- We had to check this tendency for administrative reasons.
- Please check the date.
- We conduct regular check on the quality of our products.
- Heavy rains were a check on the army's advance.
- Can you cash me the check?
- She is wearing a check skirt.
- The young Muscovite must have overlooked this intermediate check.
- The king does not move to a square that is attacked by an enemy piece during the castling move, i.e., you may not castle and end the move with the king in check.
The accounts check.
The horse checked before he jumped.
She checked for a moment in the dance and missed a step.
She went forward a few yards, checked and turned back.
Check to see if the students have memorized the dialogue.
We were checking to see what's wrong.
Let me check your heart.
Please check the broken light switch.
They examined my passport, checked the photo and then returned it to me.
Check your bicycle brakes before you ride.
The ship stopped in Shanghai to check the damage.
We must check the accuracy of his statements.
They built a great shelter-belt to check sandstorms.
We must check the enemies before they advance further.
He tries to check himself before the guests.
He was about to open his lips, but he checked himself.
He was about to say something, but checked himself and turned away.
We should check our complacency and constantly criticize our shortcomings.
Have you checked all your luggage?
I checked my trunk to my hometown.
We have all been medically checked.
Every part is individually checked before assembly.
Let us send the finished products to the head of the workshop to be checked.
The results have been carefully checked and compared.
These figures must be checked carefully.
The reports were still being checked.
Such behaviour should be checked.
The advance was checked by the river.
I will check that he does not cheat me.
I will check that everything is done.
I think I remembered to switch the oven off, but you'd better check that I did it.
I forgot to check whether I had anything else to attend to.
Don't forget to check if〔whether〕 the door is locked.
They gave the car a thorough check before setting out on their journey.
The police are running a check on everyone who was at the party.
You'll have to keep a check on the oil—there's a leak in the tank.
The teacher made his routine check on the children's homework.
They made frequent checks on his respiration, pulse and blood.
The river acted as a check on the army's advance.
“I was wrong to blow up like that.I must learn to keep a better check on my temper again.”he said.
The outbreak of the war gave a sudden check to the sculptor's work.
The message gave a check to our plan.
- check against (v.+prep.)
跟…核对 examine check sth against sth
Please check the copy against the original.请对照原件把抄件核对一下。
He checked the drawing against actual conditions.他根据实际情况检查图纸。
Check your exercises against the key after finishing them.做完练习后对照正确答案检查一下。
- 跟…核对 examine check sth against sth
- check back (v.+adv.)
回顾记录 look back in records
The manager checked back at the previous year, trying to get at the fact. 经理查阅了前一年的记录,试图弄清事实真相。
I'll check back in half an hour. 半小时后我再和你联系。
We'll check back next year and let you know what's been decided. 我们明年再来和您联系,把作出的决定通知您。
- 回顾记录 look back in records
- check for (v.+prep.)
检查 inspect, examine check for sth
The teacher checks for pronunciation and intonation.老师在检查发音和语调。
- 检查 inspect, examine check for sth
- check in (v.+adv.)
登记签到 report one's arrival (as at a hotel desk, an airport, etc.) check in
You go and check in while I pay the taxi driver money.你去登记,我付出租汽车司机钱。
If you want to stay at a hotel, you have to check in.你想住旅馆,就得办理登记手续。
How many delegates have checked in at the convention?大会已有多少代表报到?
把…留给其他人照看 leave sth in sb else's cares check sth ⇔ in
You can check your suitcases in at the desk.你可以把手提箱交给服务台看管。
归还经登记借出的东西 have the return of an article recorded check sth ⇔ in
I'm just going to check in these books at the library.我正要去图书馆还这些书。
The students put the books on the library desk, and the librarian checked them in.学生们把书放在图书馆的柜台上,管理员查核后收回。
The coach checked in the football uniforms at end of the school year.在学年结束时,教练把足球球衣收回并登记。用于 be ～ed 结构
Records were checked in and verified.已作了记录并加以核对。
死去 die check in
He checked in only this morning.他今天早上才死。
- 登记签到 report one's arrival (as at a hotel desk, an airport, etc.) check in
- check into (v.+prep.)
到达并在…登记 check in at
They checked into the hotel yesterday. 他们昨天到达旅馆并办好登记手续。
We are going to check into the rumour. 我们将对此谣言进行调查。
- 到达并在…登记 check in at
- check off (v.+adv.)
登记 mark off on a list check sth ⇔ off
He checked their names off as they went aboard the plane.在他们登上飞机时,他登记上了他们的姓名。
清点 account for items (on a list) check sb/sth ⇔ off
The teacher checked off each pupil as he got on the bus.学生上公共汽车时老师一一清点人数。
A polite young lady came round checking off the guests one by one.一位有礼貌的年轻女士走过来把已到的客人在名单上一一勾掉。
They checked off all the items in the inventory one by one.他们逐项核对了清单上所列的项目。用于 be ～ed 结构
The list has yet to be checked off.这张表还得核对。
对…不再加以考虑 eliminate from further consideration check sth ⇔ off
After considering all five possibilities, we checked off the second one.考虑了所有的五种可能以后,我们把第二种可能排除掉了。
从工资中扣除 deduct (union dues) from a worker's paycheck check sth ⇔ off 用于 be ～ed 结构
Jim's dues were checked off every week.吉姆的工会会费每星期从工资中扣除。
〈非正〉下班 go off duty check off
He checked off at 5 p.m.他下午五点钟下班。
- 登记 mark off on a list check sth ⇔ off
- check on1 (v.+adv.)
上班 start work, especially at a regular time check on
When do you check on for your night-shift?你几点上晚班?
- 上班 start work, especially at a regular time check on
- check on2 (v.+prep.)
查对,核实,检查 inspect, verify check on sb/sth
The judge decided to check on the prisoners.那个法官决定对囚犯进行审查。
We have to check on him before we consider his application.在考虑他的申请以前我们必须对他本人进行审查。
Will you check on the time the train leaves?请你核对一下火车开出的时间好吗?
Grandfather went to have the doctor check on his health.祖父去请医生检查身体。
He often comes here to check on my progress.他常常来这里看看我的进步情况。check on wh-clause
We're checking on how their food was.我们常到他们的伙房去查看他们的伙食。
How can you check on whether it will rain that day?你如何能测算出那天会不会下雨呢?
- 查对,核实,检查 inspect, verify check on sb/sth
- check out (v.+adv.)
- 〔说明〕 check out通常不用于进行体。
检查,核对,核实 examine, verify, make a systematic inspection of check out
Does his story check out?他的叙述查实了吗?check sth ⇔ out
The accountant checked out the bills and found them OK.会计查对了账单发现正确无误。
They checked out all the goods in the store.他们清点了仓库里的货物。
We'd better check the whole place out in case it's been bugged.这儿可能装了窃听器,我们还是把这个地方全部检查一遍为好。用于 be ～ed 结构
When all the instruments had been checked out, the pilot signaled that he was ready for take-off.所有仪表都检查过之后,驾驶员发出起飞准备就绪的信号。
付账后离开 pay one's bill and leave check out
He checked out from the hotel early in the morning.他一大早就结了账离开了旅馆。
We loaded the car while father checked out at the desk.爸爸在服务台结账时,我们往车上装东西。
He checked out last night, and left no forwarding address.他昨晚离开,而没有留下通讯地址。
办登记手续后取走 satisfy all requirements for taking away check sth ⇔ out
I'm just going to check this book out of the library.我正要从图书馆办手续借这本书。
She checked out 300 yuan from the bank yesterday to buy a TV set.她昨天从银行里取出300元去买了一台电视机。
The airline has checked their luggage out.航空公司给他们办了行李托运。
相等,相同; 符合,一致 be equal or the same check out
Look at the other list and see if the names check out.查查另一张单子,看名字是否相同。
What he said about the incident checked out with the facts.他关于这件事情的叙述跟事实相符。
合格; 通过 pass a test check out
The trainee checked out all right on his first flight.受训者第一次飞行完全合格。
Those trainees checked out all right in the final exam.那些学员这次期终测验考得不错。
(使)离开; 离职 leave; resign check out
She could not have checked out at ten minutes to nine.她不可能已在八点五十分时离开。
When Moore checked out, Pearson was appointed his successor.穆尔离职后,皮尔逊被委为继任人。check sb/sth ⇔ out
We checked them out this morning.今天早上我们使他们离开这里。
计价收款 itemize and reckon up the total cost of and receive payment for (outgoing merchandise) check sth ⇔ out
Gilbert is employed to check out groceries in a supermarket, and his sister Ellen to check out cleaned suits in a dry cleaning shop.吉尔伯特受雇在一家超级市场为杂货计价收款,他的妹妹埃伦在一家干洗店里为洗好的服装计价收款。
- check over (v.+adv.)
核对; 仔细检查 inspect carefully check sth ⇔ over
Check the manuscript over carefully before passing it to the typist.先把原稿仔细检查一遍,然后交给打字员。
The engineers will check over the plane before it leaves.飞机起飞前机械师要进行检查。
- 核对; 仔细检查 inspect carefully check sth ⇔ over
- check through (v.+adv.)
检查; 核对,校订 inspect; read and look for errors in check sth ⇔ through
Have you checked these figures through?你查看过这些数字吗?
Please check through the laundry and then put it away.请把所洗的衣服检点一下,然后拿去放好。
Please check through this list of reference books which we are going to order.请你核对一下我们这份参考书订购单。用于 be ～ed 结构
Has the account been checked through?账查完了吗?
- 检查; 核对,校订 inspect; read and look for errors in check sth ⇔ through
- check up (v.+adv.)
调查; 检查 investigate; examine check up
We checked up and found that everything was all right.我们检查了一下,发现一切正常。
We will check up as soon as possible and let you know the result.我们将尽快进行调查,并把结果通知你。check sb/sth ⇔ up
She asked the doctor to check her up.她请医生给她作体格检查。
We're going to check up his record.我们要去核查他的履历情况。
You must check the facts up before you write your report.你写报告前务必把事实核对清楚。
Will you please check up these data to see if they are correct?请你把这些资料查对一下,看看正确不正确,好吗?
- 调查; 检查 investigate; examine check up
- check with (v.+prep.)
跟…相符合 tally with
The shipment does not check with the sample. 装船的货物与货样不符。
Does the description check with the photograph? 描述的样子跟照片相符吗?
Do these figures check with the bank statement? 这些数字与银行结单符合吗?
跟…联系 get into communication with
We've checked with the factory and found the goods are ready. 我们已经和厂方联系,货物已经准备好了。
We have checked with the department concerned and find that the meeting will take place as planned. 我们跟有关部门联系过,知道那个会将按原计划举行。
I want to check with my secretary before I sign the papers. 在签署这些文件前,我要与我的秘书商议。
- 跟…相符合 tally with
- hold〔keep〕 in check
抑制,约束; 制止 prevent sth from advancing or increasing; control sth hold〔keep〕 sb/sth in cheek
The police tried to hold the angry crowd in check.警察试图控制住愤怒的人群。
The Prime Minister had not conquered inflation but he had held it in check.首相没能克服通货膨胀,但是抑制住了它。
We've kept the disease in check for a year now.我们到目前为止已把这种病控制了一年。
The epidemic was held in check by widespread vaccination.这种传染病靠广泛的预防注射已得到控制。
- 抑制,约束; 制止 prevent sth from advancing or increasing; control sth hold〔keep〕 sb/sth in cheek
- check a horse 勒马
- check a thing 托运〔查看〕〔核对〕某物
- check extravagant spending 制止过度的花费
- check a gauge 校验仪表
- check inflation 制止通货膨胀
- check one's answers 检查答案
- check sample 核对样品
- check test 对照试验
- check the civil war 制止内战
- check the enemy advance 阻止敌人前进
- check the enemy attack 抵挡敌人攻击
- check the expansion 制止扩张
- check the spread of the disease 制止疾病蔓延
- check these figures 核对这些数目
- check absolutely 彻底检查
- check accurately 准确检查
- check cleverly 聪明地检查
- check effectively 有效地制止
- check fortunately 幸运地制止
- check perceptibly 察觉到地制止
- check powerfully 强有力地制止
- check systematically 有系统地检查
- check in 报到,到达,登记接收(归还物品)
- check in at a hotel 住旅馆
- check off 查讫,核对
- check off these parcels 把这些包裹验讫
- check out 检验,查核,取出(钱等),借出(书等)
- check out all the instruments 检验所有的仪器
- check over 查检,核对
- check through 检查,核对
- check through the files 查阅档案
- check it by the original 拿原文核对
- check for tightness 紧密度检验
- check into 调查…,登记入住…
- check into a hotel 登记住进旅馆
- check into sb's story 调查某人的说法
- check on 核实…
- check on sb's story 核实某人所说的话
- check out of 从…借,结账离开…
- check out of the hotel 结账后离开旅馆
- check the book out of the library 从图书馆借了这本书
- check through to 把…托运到…
- check up 检查,核对,清点
- check up one's record 核对记录
- check up with this 与这个相符
- under proper checks and restraints 在适当的控制之下
Thy bastard shall be king, That thou mayst be a queen and check the world.出自：King John,Shakespeare
'No audience..is going to trust a man whose wife takes a leap.' 'Check.'出自：N. Mailer
- check作及物动词时，词组check up指“查核”，而check作不及物动词时，表示“查核”用check up on；
check with指“跟……符合”，check up with指“和……符合”。
The reprint checks up with the original.
- examination of check up在美国指“全身检查”，而英国人一般用physical overhaul。
- 在美式英语中, check可以作“寄存,托运”解，这种说法在英国极为少用。
- check的宾语后面接介词against,表示“与…对照而检查”“跟…核对”; 后接into表示“调查”; 接to,表示“将…托运至…”; 接in,表示“签到,报到; 交运,寄存(行李)”; 接off,表示“经核查无误而在…上作记号; 不再考虑”; 接with,表示“协商”(介词宾语为人); 表示“相符; 核对”(介词宾语为事或物); 接out,表示“付账离开旅馆等; 核对; 合格; 取或借; 死”; 接on〔up〕表示“调查; 核对”。
- check作“检查,核对”解时,美式英语用check up, check up on, check into the facts,英式英语则用check, check with, check (on) the facts; 有时为了说得简单,尤其在英国,人们常说check the facts,但这种说法最好要避免,因为单用check时多作“限制,遏制”解。check up with(与…符合)也是美式英语,英式英语则用tally with。
- check还可作“制止,抑制”解,它既可用作单数名词与冠词a连用,也可用作不可数名词,如 in check。
- 在美式英语中, check还可作“支票”解,是可数名词。
- check, control
- He checked himself.
- He controlled himself.
- 他控制住自己。 (仍然可以较和缓地回答)
- check, arrest, stop
这三个词均可表示“阻止”,其区别在于:stop是一般用语,指使任何一种前进或运动事物的停止; arrest指有力地阻止,通常指有意识的行动; check指突然或有力地阻止,有时也指短暂地阻止。例如:A driver uses brakes to arrest his car's speed.司机用刹车降低车速。An awning over the sidewalk checked his fall.人行道上的天篷阻止了他的跌落。
- ☆ 14世纪初期进入英语，直接源自古法语的eschequeir，意为下棋时将一次军；最初源自波斯语的shah，意为国王。
- CHECK:Cross Help Email a Cheesey King一个Cheesey国王十字帮助电子邮件
- CHECK:Christian Home Educators Confederation of Kansas (Topeka, KS)堪萨斯州的基督教家庭教育联合会(托皮卡,很小的KS)
- check:check n. 阻止, 制止, 控制, 阻止物, 支票, 检讫的记号, 饭馆的帐单vt. 检查, 制止, 核对, 寄存, 托运vi. 证明无误, 核对无误, 逐项相符, [象棋]将军习惯用语blan…