- vi. & vt. 等,期待 stay somewhere without doing anything until sb/sth comes or sth happens
- [S] 等待,等待的时间 act or time of waiting
time during which some action is awaited;
"instant replay caused too long a delay"
"he ordered a hold in the action"
the act of waiting (remaining inactive in one place while expecting something);
"the wait was an ordeal for him"
stay in one place and anticipate or expect something;
"I had to wait on line for an hour to get the tickets"
wait before acting;
"the scientists held off announcing their results until they repeated the experiment"
look forward to the probable occurrence of;
"We were expecting a visit from our relatives"
"She is looking to a promotion"
"he is waiting to be drafted"
serve as a waiter or waitress in a restaurant;
"I'm waiting on tables at Maxim's"
- She has impatience to wait for the bus.
- He kept us waiting for ages while he packed his luggage.
- You will just have to wait your turn.
- I don't like this long wait.
- The long wait at the airport is really tedious.
- All we can do now is wait and hope.
- How long have you been waiting?
- They waited Sunday and Monday for the fever to break, it didn't.
- You'll have to wait until the end of the month before I can pay you.
- I have some business in Shanghai, but it can wait.
- That work will have to wait.
- The matter can wait until the next meeting, it's not urgent.
- That waiter does not know how to wait.
- She is waiting to get an answer from you.
- They are waiting to buy the new books.
- She had been waiting in the queue to buy some stamps.
- I'm waiting to use that machine.
- They couldn't wait to learn how wise or foolish their friends and neighbors might be.
- I can't wait to see you all again.
- The boys could hardly wait to begin their duties.
- Her job is waiting table.
- For nearly two hours,I waited my turn at the barber's.
- He's waiting his opportunity.
- They were waiting the signal.
- We are now waiting the result.
- Tom held his girlfriend's hands and waited her answer.
- He said the embassy was waiting word from their government.
- We had a long wait for the bus.
- I don't like these long waits.
- He had a tiresome wait.
- I was prepared for a wait.
- wait about〔around〕 (v.+adv.)
在某处等待着 stay in place because sb who is expected has not arrived, etc.
While the contest judges were having a hard time reaching an agreement, all the contestants were waiting about in the hall.
I couldn't see the girls anywhere, there were just a few old men waiting about doing nothing.
Show the guests to their seats.Don't keep them waiting about in the hall.
You've kept me waiting about here for a whole hour.
- wait and see
等着瞧 bide one's time
- wait at (v.+prep.)
在饭馆当侍者 be as a waiter in a restaurant
wait at sth
Six people were waiting at the bus stop.
There was I, waiting at the church.
我就在那里,在教堂等待。wait at table
She couldn't get any other job except waiting at table, so she had to do that although it was poorly paid and hard on her feet.
- wait behind (v.+adv.)
在其他人走后留下来 remain somewhere after other people have left
If you wait behind after class,I will give you some help with that difficult exercise.
I'd like to ask you something in private. Could you wait behind for a couple of minutes?
One or two students waited behind to put more questions to the teacher.
- wait for (v.+prep.)
〈非正〉 注意; 当心; 等一等 pay attention; wait for
wait for sb/sth
Please wait for me at the gate.
We will wait for you on the corner of Broadway and 86th Street.
We waited for him more than an hour and finally left.
I've been waiting for the bus for half an hour.
The young people took over window seats on the right side, waiting for the approach of the great oak tree.
We are waiting for better weather.
He waited impatiently for an answer.
The children wait impatiently for the vacation.
I can't wait for this week to end.
Slippers were waiting for you by the bed.
A letter is waiting for you on the table.
Your tea is waiting for you, don't let it get cold.
The contract is waiting for your signature.
He always has to be waited for.
他总是要人等他。wait for sb/sth to-v
The shepherd boy waited for his sheep to drink.
He is waiting for something good to turn up.
They are waiting for the rain to stop.
You must wait for permission to enter.
你必须等到允许你进去时再进去。wait for the cat to jump
She waited for the cat to jump before she made up her mind.
她观望了形势以后才作出决定。wait sth for sb
Don't wait dinner for me,I may be late.
不要等我吃晚饭,我可能晚回来。wait for a dead man's shoes
The only way you'll get to the top in this firm is by waiting for dead men's shoes.
你在公司中要获得高位的唯一办法是等别人死后去接班。wait for it
Ready, aim, wait for it!Fire!
“But what happened to the girl?”“Wait for it,I'm coming to that part.”
Victory will never come if we only wait for it.
- wait in (v.+adv.)
在家里等 wait for in home
I've been waiting in all day for your television repairman to collect the set, but he didn't come as he promised.
- wait on1 (v.+adv.)
〈非正〉稍候; 停下来等 wait for after a while; stop and wait for〔说明〕 wait on通常用于祈使句,不用于进行体。
- wait on2 (v.+prep.)
在餐馆侍候顾客 serve customers in the restaurant
wait on sth
We wait on your reply to our letter.
我们等着你们的回信。wait on sb
She waited on her sick mother day and night.
The old man expected his entire family to wait on him.
They wait on guests very well in this hotel.
The old worker remembers his own youth, when he was a poor servant waiting on the rich family.
He expected his wife to wait on him hand and foot.
The gentleman had a valet to wait on him hand and foot.
Don't expect me to wait on you hand and foot, make your own breakfast.
The old lady does not like to be waited on, because she thinks she is still capable of taking care of herself.
那位老太太认为自己还能自理,因而不喜欢别人服侍她。wait on sb
She looked around for a salesman to wait on her.
We were waited on by a pretty girl in a pink apron.
招待我们的是一位穿粉红色围裙的漂亮姑娘。wait on sb
Anna waited on the senator with a letter of introduction.
安娜带了介绍信拜访那位参议员。wait on sth
Success waits on hard work.
May success wait on your efforts.
Ruin will wait on such conduct.
His whole future waits on the results of the examinations.
考试的结果关系着他整个的前途。wait on table
The only job he could get was waiting on table, but it was better than nothing.
- wait out (v.+adv.)
安静而耐心地等待…结束 await calmly and patiently the end of
Come in, please.Don't wait out in the rain.
请进来,别在外面雨里等。wait sb ⇔ out
The enemy are still advancing, but we can wait them out in this valley.
敌军仍在前进,不过我们可以在这个山谷里以逸待劳把他们拖垮。wait sth ⇔ out
We waited out the storm all night, and made our way into the harbour in the morning.
- wait up (v.+adv.)
停下来等别人赶上 stop and wait for sb to catch up〔说明〕 wait up作此解时通常不用于进行体。
- wait up for (v.+adv.+prep.)
等候; 停下等 wait for; stop and wait forHadn't we better wait up for the slower ones?我们停下来等等走得慢的人不好吗?
- lie in wait
隐蔽静候以出人不意 be hidden waiting to surprise sb
- wait a bit 稍等一会儿
- wait a minute 稍等
- wait a moment 等一会儿
- wait a whole day 等了一整天
- wait an hour 等一小时
- wait sb's opportunity 等待时机
- wait sb's turn 等着轮到(自己)
- wait anxiously 焦急地等候
- wait confidently 有把握地等待
- wait impatiently 不耐烦地等
- wait mutely 沉默地等待
- wait passively 被动地等待
- wait patiently 耐心等待
- wait sadly 悲伤地等待
- wait at table 伺候(别人)用餐
- wait for a better chance 等待更好的时机
- wait for a reply 等候答复
- wait for sb 等某人
- wait for the sign 等待信号
- wait on〔upon〕 在…方面伺候
- wait on sb hand and foot 周到地服侍(某人)
- wait on sb like a slave 像奴隶一样服侍(某人)
- wait on table 伺候(别人)用餐
- have a long wait 长时间的等待
- four-hour wait 四小时的等待
- lie in wait for 埋伏着等待
She lay in wait for unsuspecting travellers.出自： A. T. Ellis
The only condition on which he would agree to wait for his money.出自： H. Caine
Things waited for with dread rarely turned out as expected.出自： M. Sarton
- wait用作及物动词通常用来指耐心地“等,等待”。在这种用法中其宾语仅限于hour, time, turn, return, arrival, opportunity, chance, orders, a fine day, aid, the result, the signal, convenience等名词。
- can't wait用来表示一种极不耐烦的心情,可作“多么想…,简直等不及了”“迫不及待地想要”解,后面一般也接带to的动词不定式。
- wait and see的意思是“等着瞧”,使用时应注意wait和see都必须用原形,并且and不可换成其他连词。当以表示事物的名词作主语时, wait可表示“准备好了”“等人处理”,多用于进行体。
- wait for, expect
- He is expecting a letter.他正在等一封信。
- wait for则强调动作本身,即不干别的事而专门等待。例如:
- “Why are you standing here?” “I am waiting for Mr. Green.”“你站在这儿干什么?”“我在等格林先生。”
- wait, await
- 2.await后面可以接动名词作宾语,但不可接不定式, wait后面可以接不定式作状语,但不可接动名词,如：I shall await hearing from you和I shall wait to hear from you。这两句里的await和wait不可对调。
- 3.await, wait for这二者含义相同,但wait for后面接了宾语还可以加上不定式,而await却不可,如：I am waiting for him to come(我在等着他来。)里的waiting for不可改作awaiting。
误 He said he couldn't wait to Monday.
正 He said he couldn't wait till Monday.
误 I'll wait you at the gate.
正 I'll wait for you at the gate.
析 表示“等某人”时, wait用作不及物动词,其后须加介词for。我正等着某人告诉我发生了什么事。
误 I'm waiting that someone tells me what happened.
正 I'm waiting for someone to tell me what happened.
析 wait后面不可以接that从句,表示“等某人做某事”可以说wait for sb to do sth。她从早到晚服侍她丈夫。
误 She waits her husband on from morning till night.
正 She waits on her husband from morning till night.
析 wait作“服侍”“伺候”“招待”解时,用wait on〔upon〕 sb 形式。其中on是介词,不是副词,宾语只能放在on之后。我等候你的回音。
误 I shall wait hearing from you.
正 I shall wait to hear from you.赫克没有再等着听下去。
误 Huch didn't wait hearing more.
正 Huch didn't wait to hear more.
误 She will never learn to wait at the table.
正 She will never learn to wait at table.
析 表示“侍候人吃饭”,可以说wait at table,这是英式英语,美式英语中则说wait on table, table前都不加冠词。他在等待机会。
误 He is waiting for his opportunity.
正 He is waiting his opportunity.
析 wait表示“等待”,接chance, opportunity等抽象名词作宾语时一般用作及物动词。我要等照片洗好。
误 I'll wait for the photos be ready.
正 I'll wait for the photos to be ready.
析 wait for后跟含to的不定式短语的复合宾语, to不可省略。
- ☆ 直接源自古法语的gaitier，意为防守。