- vi. 一瞥,扫视; 匆匆看 take a quick look
- vi. 闪耀,闪光 flash with reflected light
- [C]一瞥,瞥视 a quick or rapid look
- [S]闪光 a flash of light
- [S]滑过,掠过 a blow which slips to the side
- a quick look
- throw a glance at; take a brief look at;
"She only glanced at the paper"
"I only peeked--I didn't see anything interesting"
- hit at an angle
- She glanced round the room before she left.
- I'm just going to glance over these documents, then we can go.
- On the bus I always manage to glance at the headline in the newspaper.
- He glanced at the envelope and recognized his uncle's handwriting.
- The glasses glanced and twinkled in the firelight.
- Their bayonets glanced in the sunlight.
- The bullet glanced off his helmet.
- He gave her an admiring glance.
- She returned his smile with a frigid glance.
- His glance swept from right to left.
- Her glance swept over that sea of coloured flannel blouses of the audience.
Don't glance left and right.
She glanced this way and that and looked very anxious.
The glasses glanced in the firelight.
Their helmets glanced in the sunlight.
No more than a quick glance was needed to see that all was not well with John.
The burglar took a quick glance around and then stole into the house.
One glance at his face told me he was ill.
Her father threw a disapproving glance at her.
I took a glance at the hall and found many familiar faces among the audience.
I had a glance at the books last night.
Take a glance at the morning paper.
Do you have time for a glance at this report?
He signed the letters with only a cursory glance at what I had written.
He took a glance over the notes.
He gave her an admiring glance.
The old woman looked directly at the boy and he tried to avoid her searching glance.
The women exchanged glances.
A glance from one of the moving swords fell across his eyes and prevented him from seeing the blow.
A sudden glance of the sword cut his shoulder.
- glance about〔around, round〕1 (v.+adv.)
环视 look around glance about〔around, round〕
I glanced about at other guests.我环视了一下其他来宾。
He glanced around to make sure that the audience were ready to hear his speech.他向四周环视以确信听众已做好准备,听他讲演。
Jimmy walked into the room, glanced round, saw nobody that he knew, and left again at once.吉米走进房间,四下一望,竟无一人认识,又匆匆离去了。
- 环视 look around glance about〔around, round〕
- glance about〔around, round〕2 (v.+prep.)
环视 look around (sb/sth) glance about〔around, round〕 sb/sth
I glanced about the room.我向室内迅速环视一下。
The headmaster glanced around our classroom.校长环视一下我们的教室。
The actor glanced round the audience and spotted his wife in the third row.那演员向观众扫视一下,看到他妻子在第三排上。
- 环视 look around (sb/sth) glance about〔around, round〕 sb/sth
- glance at (v.+prep.)
朝…看了一眼 give a rapid look at glance at sb/oneself/sth
She glanced at him from behind her fan.她从扇子后匆匆看了他一眼。
She glanced shyly at Smith out of the corners of her eyes.她羞答答地瞟了史密斯一眼。
The child glanced at his angry father timidly.孩子怯生生地瞟了一眼怒气冲冲的父亲。
She glanced at herself in the mirror.她在镜子面前照一下自己。
He glanced at the passage and knew there were few new words in it.他浏览了一下那篇短文,知道里面没有几个生词。
I didn't read the whole paper.I just glanced at the headlines.我没有读完报纸,只看了看标题。
He glanced at my passport and gave it back to me.他瞧了瞧我的护照,就退还给我了。
He glanced at the elegant furnishings of the saloon.他扫视了一下大厅里雅致的陈设。
- 朝…看了一眼 give a rapid look at glance at sb/oneself/sth
- glance back (v.+adv.)
回头看 turn one's head to have a look glance back over sth
She glanced back over the path she had come.她回头看一眼自己走过来的小路。glance back to-v
She glanced back quickly to see if Emma was following her.她回头很快地看了一眼,看看艾玛是否跟着她。
A runner can lose a lot of advantage by even glancing back to see how far behind the others are.赛跑的人只要回头看看后面的人离他有多远就会大大丧失优势。
- 回头看 turn one's head to have a look glance back over sth
- glance down (v.+prep.)
浏览 read sth such as a page quickly glance down sth
She glanced down the list of names.她浏览了一下名单。glance one's eye's down sth
He glanced his eyes down the columns.他浏览了一下专栏。
- 浏览 read sth such as a page quickly glance down sth
- glance off1 (v.+adv.)
擦过 strike and glide off glance off
The spear harmlessly glanced off.长矛擦过,没有刺中。
A stray bullet struck his helmet and glanced off.一颗流弹击中他的钢盔,又滑开了。
- 擦过 strike and glide off glance off
- glance off2 (v.+prep.)
擦过 strike and glide off
The bullet glanced off a tree. 子弹从树边擦过。
The arrow glanced off his armour. 箭擦过他的甲胄。
The sword glanced off the shield and did not damage it. 刀从盾边擦过,没有把盾砍坏。
The ball glanced off his bat. 球从他的球拍上一擦而过。
Every scolding that boy just seems to glance off him and not change his behaviour at all. 那个男孩每次受到责骂,似乎都成了耳边风,根本没有使他的行为举止发生任何变化。
(光线)从…折射出来 (a ray of light) be reflected from
The light from the setting sun glanced off the oil tanks. 夕阳的余光从油罐上折射出来。
- 擦过 strike and glide off
- glance over (v.+prep.)
浏览 read sth such as a page quickly glance over sth
He glanced over a catalogue.他将目录匆匆看了一下。
He glanced over the morning paper.他匆匆地浏览了晨报。
He glanced over the accounts.他浏览了一下那些账目。
He glanced over my report and said that it seemed to be all right.他粗略看了一下我的报告,说报告看起来还行。glance one's eyes over sth
He glanced his eyes over the letter.他浏览了那封信。
She glanced her eyes over the headlines.她粗略地看了一下大标题。
- 浏览 read sth such as a page quickly glance over sth
- glance through (v.+prep.)
浏览 read sth such as a page quickly glance through sth
He glanced through the manuscript.他把手稿粗略地看了一遍。
She glanced through her daughter's homework and signed it.她把女儿的作业浏览了一遍并签了字。
- 浏览 read sth such as a page quickly glance through sth
- glance to (v.+prep.)
朝…瞧了瞧 take a look at glance to sb/sth
They glanced to the girl.他们朝那女孩瞧了瞧。
They glanced to the place where the girl was sitting.他们朝那个女孩子坐的地方瞧了瞧。
- 朝…瞧了瞧 take a look at glance to sb/sth
- glance up (v.+adv.)
抬头一看 have an up look glance up
He glanced up and saw me.他抬头一看,看见了我。glance up to-v
He glanced up to see the door slowly opening.他抬头看见门慢慢开了。
- 抬头一看 have an up look glance up
- at a glance
看一眼; 马上 with one look; at once
He could tell at a glance that she was upset. 他一眼就看出她很生气。
The doctor saw at a glance that the child had got measles. 医生一眼就看出小孩患的是麻疹。
The bandits could see at a glance that things had gone badly. 匪徒们一看就知道事情不妙。
He could tell at a glance what was wrong with the car. 他一眼就能看出汽车有什么毛病。
- 看一眼; 马上 with one look; at once
- at first glance
一看就; 初看,乍看起来 when seen or examined (often quickly) for the first time
They fell in love at first glance. 他们一见钟情。
The phenomenon of fatigue is more complex than it seems at first glance. 疲劳现象要比初看起来复杂得多。
They looked the same at first glance but in fact they were different. 乍看起来它们是同样的,但事实上它们并不相同。
At first glance, the problem seems very difficult. 初看起来,那个问题似乎很难。
- 一看就; 初看,乍看起来 when seen or examined (often quickly) for the first time
- glance right and left 左顾右盼
- glance this way and that 东张西望
- glance apprehensively 担心地一瞥
- glance complacently 骄傲地扫视
- glance contemptuously 轻视地一瞥
- glance critically 批判地一瞥
- glance curiously 好奇地一瞥
- glance deferentially 尊重地一瞥
- glance furtively 偷偷摸摸地一瞥
- glance piercingly 尖锐地扫视
- glance back 回头一看,回顾
- glance back at the past 回顾过去
- glance up 抬头一看
- glance at 朝…看了一眼
- glance at the clock 匆匆看一下表
- glance down 浏览
- glance from A to B 从A看到B
- glance into a room 朝房间里瞅一眼
- glance into the future 展望未来
- glance over a letter 匆匆阅读一封信
- glance round a room 略略环视房间
- dart a glance 飞快地瞥一眼
- exchange glances 交换眼色
- flash a glance at 朝…瞟一眼
- shoot an angry glance at 瞪…一眼
- steal a glance at 偷看…一眼
- take a glance at 粗略地看一下…
- amorous glance 含情脉脉的一瞥
- casual glance 漫不经心的一瞥
- conspiratorial glance 阴险的目光
- dubious glance 怀疑的目光
- first glance 第一眼
- fleeting glance 匆匆一瞥
- hostile glance 敌意的目光
- imploring glance 哀求的目光
- indignant glance 愤慨的目光
- knowing glance 会意的眼神
- loving glances 钟情的眼色
- meaning glance 意味深长的目光
- passing glance 漫不经心的目光,随便看一眼
- piercing glance 犀利的目光
- pitying glance 怜悯的目光
- quick glance 迅速的一瞥
- quizzical glance 探询的目光
- searching glance 锐利的目光
- shy glance 羞涩的眼神
- wistful glance 留恋的目光
- at a glance 看一眼,马上
- at first glance 一看就,乍看起来
- with a glance to 考虑到,顾及到
- follow sb with one's glance 目送某人
The silver light, with quivering glance, Played on the water's still expanse.出自：Sir W. Scott
The blow only glanced on the bone, and scarce drew blood.出自：Sir W. Scott
His axe glanced from a frosted branch and sank in his boot.出自：E. Birney
- glance一般用作不及物动词,作“一瞥”“匆匆看”解时常与at, down, off, round, through等词连用。
- glance作“一瞥”“匆匆看”解是瞬间动词,通常不用于进行体; 作“闪耀,闪光”解则常用于进行体。
- glance作“一瞥,瞥视”解时,常与介词at连用。注意at放在glance前和glance后的意思完全不同:at a glance〔at first glance〕是固定短语,意思分别是“看一眼,马上”和“一看就,乍看起来”; 而a glance at sb/sth 的意思是“看了某人或某物一眼”。glance还可与over, through, under等连用。
- glance, look
这两个词的共同意思是“看”,都可接介词at。其区别是：glance指匆忙地看一眼,也指粗略地、随便看看、暗暗地看; 而look则表示有意识地注意看,将视线集中于某人或某物上,着重于看的动作。例如:She felt very nervous with so many people looking at her.这么多人瞧着她,她感到非常紧张。I found the child opposite looking at my red hat.我发现对面的孩子在看我的红帽子。
- glance, brush, graze, shave, skim
这组词都有“擦”“拂”的意思。其区别是：brush的动作像刷子一样在某物表面上刷; 有时指抚摸或轻擦,以弄散某种东西。graze指子弹或其他快速运动的物体迅速擦过,例如:The wing seemed to graze the treetops as the plane climbed away.飞机爬升时,机翼似乎擦过树梢。glance表示“擦过”,多指未成功的“刺,击,砍”所造成的从身边擦过,例如:The sword glanced off the shield.剑擦盾而过。shave表示“擦过,掠过”,指像刀片刮脸那样紧贴着轻轻地擦过,往往含有“险些弄伤”的意思,例如:I cut myself while I was shaving.我刮胡子时把自己的脸刮破了。skim表示“掠过”,不含危险或伤害的意思,例如:The plane skimmed the treetops.飞机从树梢上掠过。
- glance, flash, gleam, glint, glitter
这组词都可以表示“发光,闪光”,其区别是：glance指发出或投射出闪烁的光线; flash指突然发出转瞬即逝的闪烁光芒或突然被闪光照亮; gleam指透过间隔物或映衬在较暗背景上的微弱光线; glint强调光线的迅速闪耀; glitter指发出很灿烂的闪光,有时暗示怀有邪恶的意图。例如:Headlights flashed on the road.公路上闪出车灯的亮光。He flashed a torch to guide me.他用火炬的亮光为我引路。The furniture gleamed after being polished.家具擦拭后闪闪发亮。Her eyes glinted when she saw the money.她看到钱眼睛就发亮。Her jewelry glittered under the spotlight.她的珠宝在聚光灯下闪闪发光。
- glance, glimpse
这两个词都有“一瞥”之意,它们之间的区别是:glance多表示“有意的一瞥”,强调看的动作,所搭用的动词多为cast, give, take等有意发出的动作; glimpse多表示“无意的一望”,强调所瞥见的东西,所搭用的动词多是catch, get, gain, obtain等非有意发出的动作。例如:We caught a glimpse of the bell tower as we drove past.我们开车经过时瞥见了钟楼。
- glance stare glare
- glance:glance意为“匆匆一瞥”，是不及物动词，其后必须接介词at, over等才可以接宾语。
- He glanced at his watch.
- She glanced down the list of names.
- She stared at him in surprise.
- He was staring out to the sea.
- They stood glaring at each other.
- ☆ 15世纪中期入进英语，直接源自中古英语的glansen；最初源自古法语的glacier，意为滑。
- glance:glance vi. 扫视, 匆匆一看n. 一瞥, 眼光, 匆匆一看习惯用语at a glance(=at (the) first glance) 初[乍]一看就, 一瞥之下dart a glance…