- n. 公司；商行
- adj. 坚定的；结实的；坚固的；严格的
- v. (使)变得坚实；确定
- adv. 稳固地；坚定地
- 结实的,坚硬的,牢固的 solidly fixed in place
- 坚定不移的,矢志不渝的 not changing or likely to change
- 强有力的,坚信 strong and giving a feeling of trust
- [C]公司,商行 a business company
- vt. & vi. (使)坚硬,(使)稳固 (cause to) become firm
the members of a business organization that owns or operates one or more establishments;
"he worked for a brokerage house"
marked by firm determination or resolution; not shakable;
"a firm mouth"
"a man of unbendable perseverence"
not soft or yielding to pressure;
"a firm mattress"
"the snow was firm underfoot"
strong and sure;
"a firm grasp"
"gave a strong pull on the rope"
not subject to revision or change;
"a firm contract"
"a firm offer"
(of especially a person's physical features) not shaking or trembling;
"his voice was firm and confident"
"a firm step"
not liable to fluctuate or especially to fall;
"stocks are still firm"
"holds a firm position as the country's leading poet"
possessing the tone and resiliency of healthy tissue;
securely fixed in place;
"the post was still firm after being hit by the car"
unwavering in devotion to friend or vow or cause;
"a firm ally"
"the true-hearted soldier...of Tippecanoe"
with resolute determination;
"we firmly believed it"
"you must stand firm"
become taut or tauter;
"Your muscles will firm when you exercise regularly"
"the rope tautened"
make taut or tauter;
"tauten a rope"
- He has established his own firm.
- He resigned his directorship and left the firm.
- The businessment started out as an errand boy at the age of 14 in a firm.
- We must maintain a firm attitude.
- Because of their pleasant personality, they had soon formed a firm friendship.
- Parents must be firm with their children.
- Exercise will firm up your muscles.
- We should be able to firm up the agreement today.
- They made a firm pledge to support us.
- He gave a concise and firm summary of our position.
- The runner has firm muscles.
- They have taken firm possession of the enemy position.
- He kept a firm hold on her hand as he helped her across the river.
- His reply to the request was a firm “No”.
- Our offer was met with a firm refusal.
- He expressed firm support for their cause.
- He kept a firm hold on my arm as he helped me over the fence.
- I'm a firm believer in telling the truth.
- His muscles are very firm.
- Some soft foods become firm when cold.
- You must be firm.
- This wet ground is not firm enough to walk on.
- I don't think that chair is firm enough to stand on.
- She works for an engineering firm.
- She works for a firm of stockbroker.
- He was a partner in a firm of solicitors in Holborn.
- The firm has not been doing well recently.
- The firm is very successful, they're raking it in.
- The firm have agreed to give me a two weeks' holiday.
- The firm are giving an important dinner.
- The jelly firmed quickly.
- His face firmed and he spoke with restrained anger.
- The market firmed slightly.
- The voice firmed with decision.
- Stock market prices have firmed.
- He reshuffled the cabinet to firm his government.
- a firm hand
严格控制 strong discipline or control
- firm about
在…上态度坚定 determined about sth
- firm against
坚挺的 not lower than another currency, etc. and possibly about to rise in price
- firm in〔of〕
坚定的 determined in purpose
- firm on one's feet
步伐稳定的 walking steady
- firm with
对…严格 strong and consistent in attitude and behaviour, not easily persuaded to change one's mind, decision
- firm up (v.+adv.)
把…安排得更稳妥,牢靠; 使稳定 arrange (sth) more firmly; cause to become firm
The soil is firming up now that the weather is drier.
天气干燥了,土壤也变得坚硬起来。firm sth ⇔ up
Exercise will firm up your muscles.
The machine helps to firm the ground up for the game.
机器压实了比赛用的场地。firm sth ⇔ up
We should firm up ties with the Third World.
I will return to Paris tomorrow, if I firm up the my air ticket.
We should be able to firm up the agreement today.
The government must act to firm prices up.
- firm about… 的想法很坚定
- firm against 坚定地反对…的,比…坚挺的
- firm against the pounds (美元等)比英镑坚挺
- firm in one's purpose 意志坚决
- firm with 对…严格的
- firm with children 严格对待孩子
- advertising firm 广告公司
- long firm 〈英〉诈骗商行
- manufacturing firm 制造公司
- shipping firm 运输公司
- tailoring firm 成衣店
- firm in Paris 在巴黎的公司
- firm the government 稳定政府
Trading under the firm of 'Grant Co.'出自： C. E. Riddell
Try whether the post is firm in the ground.出自：Oxford English Dictionary
All the knots which you wished to be firm would come untied.出自： C. S. Lewis
Jove has firm'd it with an Awfull Nod.出自： Dryden
- firm作为名词是“公司”，“商行”的意思，但是必须是至少两人或者两人以上的企业，一个人独办的不算。例如：the firm of Harrison Co；
She is a clerk with the firm.
- firm, hard, solid
- firm指组织与构造是坚韧的,不容易因拉伸、弯曲而变形,暗示稳定或坚固; hard指厚实或坚硬,能抵抗压力,几乎不能压缩、拉伸或挖掘或极度执著,有顽固之意; solid指结构很坚固,密度一致,有很强的稳定性,能抵抗任何压力。例如:
- I took a firm hold on the rope.我牢牢地抓住了绳子。
- The ground was too hard to dig.这块地太硬没法挖。
- The buildings are surrounded with solid walls.这座建筑周围用坚硬的墙围着。
- firm, company, corporation, partnerships
误 He is a clerk in〔at, on〕 the firm of Smith Brothers.
正 He is a clerk with the firm of Smith Brothers.
析 表示“是某公司的职员”时, firm前通常用with。
- ☆ 14世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古典拉丁语的firmus，意为稳定，恒定。
- unshakable n.