- [P] 无疑的,确信的,有把握的 not doubting or seeming to doubt what one believes, knows, etc. confident that one is right
- 肯定要做某事的,一定做某事的 definitely going to do sth; certain to do sth
- having or feeling no doubt or uncertainty; confident and assured;
"felt certain of success"
"was sure (or certain) she had seen it"
"was very sure in his beliefs"
"sure of her friends"
- exercising or taking care great enough to bring assurance;
"be certain to disconnect the iron when you are through"
"be sure to lock the doors"
- certain to occur; destined or inevitable;
"he was certain to fail"
"his fate is certain"
"In this life nothing is certain but death and taxes"
"he faced certain death"
"sudden but sure regret"
"he is sure to win"
- physically secure or dependable;
"a sure footing"
"was on sure ground"
- reliable in operation or effect;
"a quick and certain remedy"
"a sure way to distinguish the two"
"wood dust is a sure sign of termites"
- (of persons) worthy of trust or confidence;
"a sure (or trusted) friend"
- infallible or unfailing;
"a sure (or true) sign of one's commitment"
- certain not to fail;
"a sure hand on the throttle"
- impossible to doubt or dispute;
"indisputable (or sure) proof"
- definitely or positively (`sure' is sometimes used informally for `surely');
"the results are surely encouraging"
"she certainly is a hard worker"
"it's going to be a good day for sure"
"they are coming, for certain"
"they thought he had been killed sure enough"
"he'll win sure as shooting"
"they sure smell good"
"sure he'll come"
- I think you are not quite sure about it.
- I'm sure you'll want a go when you see it.
- I can't be sure, but I believe it worths trying.
- The news is sure to overset him.
- Hard work is a sure avenue to success.
- He's not so sure of himself these days.
- They had never seen her so sure of herself.
- It sure was a cold night.
- I had a feeling we'd get lost, and sure enough, we did.
- Nobody knows the cause of the fire for sure.
Dark clouds are a sure sign of rain.
He made a sure step out of the mud.
There's only one sure way to do it.
He is a sure employee.
This medicine is a sure remedy for headache.
Going to places is a sure way of getting to know them.
Put it in a sure place.
She drew the outline with a sure hand.
Death is sure.
One is sure—we've won a great victory!
I shall certainly be present at the meeting, but I am not sure about my wife.
Do you feel quite sure of that,Dorian?
I've never felt sure of success.
You're sure of a warm welcome.
Can I be sure of a profit if I invest?
I am not sure of his address.
There is no penalty for guessing, so if you are not sure of the answer to a question, make the best guess you can.
As we have been practising regularly, we are sure of winning the game this time.
You're sure of passing the exam if you work hard.
He is sure to be back soon.
Be sure not to be pessimistic about our success.
Though we suffer from serious natural calamities, we are sure to overcome all difficulties.
In choosing the seeds for sowing,be sure to reject those that are shrivelled or moulding.
Get up steam,and you will be sure to succeed.
Are you sure you want him for your partner for life?
You are sure I won't put on you if I sit beside you?
Your explanation sounds plausible, but I'm not sure I believe it.
Are you sure this roof is completely tight?
I'm sure (that) I can run much faster than he.
I was not sure what I ought to do.
I'm not sure whether I've met him before.
- be sure and do sth
务必做某事 not fail to do sth
Be sure and tell me all your news. 务必把你所有的情况告诉我。
Be sure and look! 千万要注意!
Be sure and give me a ring. 一定要记住给我打电话。
- 务必做某事 not fail to do sth
- for sure
无疑 without doubt
I think he lives there but I couldn't say for sure. 我想他是住在那里的,但我不敢肯定。
The fighting was over for sure. 战斗确实结束了。
One thing is for sure—public order will have to be established. 有一件事毫无疑问——公共秩序一定要建立起来。
- 无疑 without doubt
- make sure (to-v/of sth/v-ing/that...)
把事情弄清楚,核实或查明某事物 find out whether sth is definitely soI think the meeting will begin at nine, but you'd better go and make sure.我想是9点钟开会,但你最好去问清楚。
I think there's a train at 5 o'clock,but you'd better make sure. 我想5点有一班火车,你最好查个明白。
I made sure he would be here. 我确信他会来这里。
He made sure that the rope were tight. 他保证绳子拉紧了。
Make sure that both doors are locked when you go out. 出去一定要把两扇门都锁好。
Have you made sure of the time of the flight? 你弄清楚班机的时间了吗?
Make sure to turn off the light before you leave. 临走前一定要熄灯。
- 设法确保出现某事物 do sth ensure that sth happensWe and our friends will make sure of that.我们和我们的朋友要确保这一点。
- 把事情弄清楚,核实或查明某事物 find out whether sth is definitely soI think the meeting will begin at nine, but you'd better go and make sure.我想是9点钟开会,但你最好去问清楚。
- sure of oneself
(过分)自信 too confident of one's own abilities, etc.; self-confident
I hate Joe Lampton, he looked and sounded very sure of himself. 我讨厌乔·兰普顿,他的样子和说话显得非常自信。
He's never very sure of himself amongst people he doesn't know. 他在不熟悉的人们中间不太自信。
- (过分)自信 too confident of one's own abilities, etc.; self-confident
- sure thing
是的,当然 yes; of course
It's a sure thing that he'll succeed at what he chooses to do because he's so talented. 他要做什么事就一定成功,因为他很有才干。
Sure thing,I'll be glad to do it for you. 没有问题,我是乐于为你干那事的。
It's no fun betting on a sure thing. 对确定无疑的事打赌可不是件妙事。
- 是的,当然 yes; of course
- to be sure
无可否认,诚然 I cannot deny (that), admittedly
He is clever, to be sure, but not very hardworking. 他聪明是聪明,但不怎么勤奋。
This wind is contrary, to be sure, but it is far from a storm. 风当然是逆风,但远不是一场风暴。
He is young, to be sure, but very experienced. 他固然年轻,但很有经验。
- 无可否认,诚然 I cannot deny (that), admittedly
- sure employee 可靠的雇员
- sure place 稳妥的地方
- sure remedy for headache 治头痛的良药
- sure sign 无疑的征兆
- sure step 确确实实的一步
- sure way 可靠的方法
- sure to pass the exam 考试一定会及格
Loaded pistols were served out to all the sure men.出自：R. L. Stevenson
- “be sure+不定式”往往表示推测的口气,主语不一定是人,表示“一定会…的”“必定会…的”。
- sure还可用作副词,表示“的确,当然”。例如:It sure was cold.确实很冷!I said it would happen, and sure enough it did.我说过要有这样的事发生,果然如此。
- be sure of, be sure to
- Fight no battle I am not sure of winning.
- They are sure to succeed.
- I am sure,I am certain
I am certain比I am sure语气强,前者指“不容置疑的”“确实已成为事实的”,后者指很强的“愿望”“深信”，但是I am not certain与I am not sure意思相同。例如:
- I am certain that he has left—I saw him go out.
- I am sure that they'll win the game this time.
- I am not certain if she is happy.
- I am not sure if she is happy.
- sure, certain, positive
这三个词都表示“肯定的”“确信的”,但所表示的程度有所不同。1.certain强调有充分的根据,或自己直接所知道的事情的真相。2.sure强调主观上怀有强烈的愿望或心里没有疑虑。例如:I'm sure we'll start on time.我想我们能及时出发。3.positive比sure和certain更加肯定,强调对自己所说的话或所下的结论的正确性深信不疑,常常表现出过分的自信或主观武断。例如:I am positive that I saw this man before.我肯定我以前见过此人。As I can't be certain,I won't be positive.在我不肯定时,我不想武断。4.名词性从句作主语时,一般不用sure,而用certain。
误 I'm sure of that he will take sole responsibility for the accident.
正 I'm sure that he will take sole responsibility for the accident.
析 be sure of的宾语是that从句时,介词 of常省略。
误 I am sure that he must have come back from Beijing.
正 He must have come back from Beijing.
析 must 用来表示讲话人肯定的推测,而 I am sure 也是讲话人用来表明自己的肯定的看法的。因此 must 和 I am sure 用在一起就语义重复,可把 I am sure 删去。
误 It is sure the report is false.
正 It is certain that the report is false.
误 I don't know with sure that he's dead.
正 I don't know for sure that he's dead.
析 for sure表示“肯定地”,是习惯说法,介词for不能用with替代。
误 Please make sure that the house will be properly locked.
正 Please make sure that the house is properly locked.
析 make sure是动词短语,通常用于祈使句中,表示“肯定”“设法做到”,后面的从句中往往用一般现在时表示将来,强调某一愿望或要求一定要实现。
误 I am quite sure for it.
正 I am quite sure of it.
析 be sure of〔about〕 意为“对…有把握”“确信”,是句子的主语本身持有的态度,介词不可用for。
误 So long as the Japanese people keep on fighting they must win in the end.
正 So long as the Japanese people keep on fighting they are sure to win in the end.
析 must表示“命令”“义务”“责任”,或用以推测未知的事情,上面的句子表示将来肯定会取得某种结果,不可用 must,应用sure。
- ☆ 1300年左右进入英语，直接源自古法语的sur, seur，意为安全的，保险的；最初源自古典拉丁语的secuurs，意为平静的，不留心的。
- sure:sure adj. 对....有把握, 确信某事, 稳当的, 可靠的adv. 的确, 当然 英英解释:形容词sure:1. having or feeling no doubt or uncertai…