- [U]伴随,陪伴 being together with another or others
- [U]客人,朋友 number of guests
- [C]一群人 group of people
- [C]公司 group of people united for business or commercial purposes
- an institution created to conduct business;
"he only invests in large well-established companies"
"he started the company in his garage"
- small military unit; usually two or three platoons
- the state of being with someone;
"he missed their company"
"he enjoyed the society of his friends"
- organization of performers and associated personnel (especially theatrical);
"the traveling company all stayed at the same hotel"
- a social or business visitor;
"the room was a mess because he hadn't expected company"
- a social gathering of guests or companions;
"the house was filled with company when I arrived"
- a band of people associated temporarily in some activity;
"they organized a party to search for food"
"the company of cooks walked into the kitchen"
- crew of a ship including the officers; the whole force or personnel of a ship
- a unit of firefighters including their equipment;
"a hook-and-ladder company"
- be a companion to somebody
- I work in a small company.
- The company doubled its size in nine years.
- The company has connections with a number of Japanese firms.
- Don't mention it. I've really enjoyed your company.
- His father asked him to avoid bad company.
- Mrs.Johnson straightened up the house before company came.
- He was appointed captain of a company of rifles.
- He came in company with a group of girls.
- May fair winds company your safe return.
Take care not to get into bad company.
There is the saying:we can know a man by the company he keeps.
Company is coming for dinner.
I have to receive a great deal of company.
In the marshlands they found company—runaway robbers.
I'm glad of your company.
He wanted company.
I did not expect to have the pleasure of your company on the voyage.
A great company came to church.
My house was insured with a local insurance company.
There was a literal introduction of this company.
The discrepancy in the company accounts was too conspicuous that no auditor could have failed to notice.
Getting this contract is crucial to the future of our company.
We are contented to work for that company.
They seem to have no coherent plan for saving the company.
The company was in deep financial difficulties.
- a company of
一伙人 a ground of people
A company of travellers is expected to arrive soon. 一伙旅行者希望能很快到达。
He conducted a company of tourists. 他带领着一群旅行者。
- 一伙人 a ground of people
- fall into company with
偶然和…相识 make friend by chance
Yesterday he went to London and there fell into company with Peter. 昨天它去伦敦并在那儿偶然认识了彼得。
- 偶然和…相识 make friend by chance
- for company
做伴,陪伴 being together with sb
As the journey was long one, he took a friend with him for company. 因这次旅行很远,所以他带了一个朋友和他做伴。
I'll go with you as far as the station for company. 我将陪你到车站。
The child is very glad for her company. 这个孩子很高兴和她做伴。
- 做伴,陪伴 being together with sb
- in company (with)
(和…)一起 get together(with sb)
We went there in company. 我们一起到那儿去。
We visited the museum in company with foreign tourists. 我们和几个来旅游的外国人一起参观了博物馆。
- (和…)一起 get together(with sb)
- in the company of
和…在一起 get together with sb
She was shy in the company of strangers. 她在陌生人面前害羞。
- 和…在一起 get together with sb
- inflict one's company upon
打扰某人 bother sb
I am sorry to have to inflict my company upon you. 对不起,我不得不打扰你一下。
- 打扰某人 bother sb
- keep company
陪伴某人,陪某人同走 get together with sb keep sb company
I've come to keep you company.我来给你做伴。
I'll keep you company as far as the station.我将一直陪你到车站。
Her neighbours often keep her company in the evenings.她的邻居经常在夜晚陪她做伴。
- 陪伴某人,陪某人同走 get together with sb keep sb company
- keep company with
与…交往,与…结伴 make friend with sb keep company with sb
Never keep company with dishonest persons.不要与不诚实的人打交道。
He kept company with her for years.他同她来往好几年了。
- 与…交往,与…结伴 make friend with sb keep company with sb
- part company
分手,断绝来往 part with
Bill and I have decided to part company. 我和比尔已决定分手。
It's sad that we have to part company. 我们不得不分手,真令人伤心。
- 分手,断绝来往 part with
- avoid company 避免与…交往
- bear company 陪伴某人
- choose company 选择伙伴
- enjoycompany 喜欢与…做伴
- fall into company with 偶然和…相识
- inflict company 打扰某人
- keep sb company 陪伴某人,陪某人同走
- part company 分手,断绝来往
- carrying company 运输公司
- construction company 建筑公司
- fire company 火灾保险公司
- joint-stock company 股份公司
- limited joint stock company 股份有限公司
- motor-vehicle manufacturing company 摩托车制造公司
- navigation company 航海公司
- telephone company 电话公司
- publishing company 出版公司
- affiliated C- 分公司
- import and export company 进出口公司
- insurance company 保险公司
- oil company 石油公司
- China Ocean Shipping C- 中国远洋运输公司
- City C- 伦敦市商业公会
- mutual investment company 互助投资信托公司
He found his own company quite absorbing.出自：H. James
My child was quiet in the company of the others.出自：N. Mosley
We had company at dinner.
The cinema company is/are holding a meeting.
Smith and Company are holding a meeting.
- company作名词指“公司”时，前面有无and意义不同，如Smith和其他人合办的公司叫Smith and Company，这种情况下company前不加冠词the，也可以叫The Smith Company。只要是没有and 或&符号的，前面用The或不用The都可以。有时有多个姓，如Smith, Jones, and Company, Smith and Jones Company, The Smith and Jones Company(这里and后面并不直接跟Company，可以加冠词the）。
- company用作名称时,前面可用一个姓,也可用两、三个姓。例如:Smith,Jones and〔&〕 Company; Smith and〔&〕 Jones Company; The Smith,Jones and〔&〕 Williams Company
- company, accompany
这两个词词形和词义相近,但前者是动词,多指动态; 后者是名词,常指静态,常作keep, bear等的宾语补足语。
- keep sb company, accompany sb
这两个短语都可译为“陪伴”,其区别在于:keep sb company的目的是使某人不寂寞,“伴”本身就是目的; 而accompany sb的目的不仅是“伴”,更主要的是去(哪里)或做(什么),其后常接副词或副词性短语。试比较:
- Sit here and keep me company for a while.
- Will you accompany me in drinking a glass of wine?
- in company of, in the company of, in company with
这三个短语的区别是:in company of的意思是“在…陪同下”; in the company of和in company with都表示“和…在一起”,但in the company of只用于人或动物,不用于无生命的东西或事物; 而in company with可用于无生命的东西或事物。例如:
- Angell went to Taiyuan in company of his wife.
- Angell went to Taiyuan in company with his wife.
- Lan Lan could be very quarrelsome when in the company of other pandas.
- In 1942, plague, in company with famine, killed almost one fifth the population of the county.
- 1942年,瘟疫和饥荒差不多使这个县 五分之一的人口丧命。
- company, associate, companion, comrade
这组词都可表示“同事”“同伴”“朋友”。其区别是：associate指由于共同的职业、地位、利益而经常联系的人; companion强调共同度过闲暇时建立起来的友谊联系; company主要指想法相似,但没有深交的“同伴”“朋友”; comrade指与某人在观点或事业上有一致性和利害关系的“战友”或“同志”。例如:
- He is not a friend but a merely business associate.
- My fellow travellers made good companions.
- The teacher advised his pupils always to keep good company.
- The soldier stayed with his wounded com- rade.
- company, corporation, firm, partnership
这组词的共同意思是“公司,商号”。其区别是：1.company多用于英式英语中; corporation多用于美式英语中。例如:His father was employed in the Shanghai Electric Light Company Limited.他父亲受雇于上海电灯有限公司。John works for a large American chemical corporation.约翰在替一家美国化学公司工作。2.公司和商号的名称中只能用company或corporation,而不能用firm和partnership。例如:He is the president of China Ocean Shipping Company.他是中国远洋运输公司的董事长。She works for an engineering firm.她在一家工程公司工作。
误 She works in a company in Pittsburgh.
正 She works in a factory in Pittsburgh.
析 汉语常说在“某公司”上班,但英美人却比较喜欢具体的地点,往往把公司说成office, store, factory, plant等。
误 The cinema company is holding their annual meeting.
误 The cinema company are holding its annual meeting.
正 The cinema company is holding its annual meeting.
误 The Smith and〔 & 〕 Company
正 The Smith Company〔Smith〕 Company
误 The Smith and〔 & 〕 Company
正 Smith and〔 & 〕 Company
误 Smith and〔 & 〕 Jones Company
正 The Smith and〔 & 〕 Jones Company
误 We had companies and I couldn't get away.
误 We had a company and I couldn't get away.
正 We had company and I couldn't get away.
- ☆ 1150年英进入语，直接源自古法语的compaignie，意为士兵的整体；最初源自后期拉丁语的companio。
- company:概述 company 【5kQmpEni】n.公司, 陪伴, (一)群, (一)队, (一)伙, 连, 连队companyCompany is an organization that produc…