- n. 公司；商号；陪伴；同伴；客人；[军]连；一群
- v. 陪伴
- [U]伴随,陪伴 being together with another or others
- [U]客人,朋友 number of guests
- [C]一群人 group of people
- [C]公司 group of people united for business or commercial purposes
an institution created to conduct business;
"he only invests in large well-established companies"
"he started the company in his garage"
small military unit; usually two or three platoons
the state of being with someone;
"he missed their company"
"he enjoyed the society of his friends"
organization of performers and associated personnel (especially theatrical);
"the traveling company all stayed at the same hotel"
a social or business visitor;
"the room was a mess because he hadn't expected company"
a social gathering of guests or companions;
"the house was filled with company when I arrived"
a band of people associated temporarily in some activity;
"they organized a party to search for food"
"the company of cooks walked into the kitchen"
crew of a ship including the officers; the whole force or personnel of a ship
a unit of firefighters including their equipment;
"a hook-and-ladder company"
be a companion to somebody
- I work in a small company.
- The company doubled its size in nine years.
- The company has connections with a number of Japanese firms.
- Don't mention it. I've really enjoyed your company.
- I asked Benny to keep my son company while I went shopping.
- His father asked him to avoid bad company.
- Mrs.Johnson straightened up the house before company came.
- He was appointed captain of a company of rifles.
- He came in company with a group of girls.
- May fair winds company your safe return.
- Take care not to get into bad company.
- There is the saying:we can know a man by the company he keeps.
- Company is coming for dinner.
- I have to receive a great deal of company.
- In the marshlands they found company—runaway robbers.
- I'm glad of your company.
- He wanted company.
- I did not expect to have the pleasure of your company on the voyage.
- A great company came to church.
- My house was insured with a local insurance company.
- There was a literal introduction of this company.
- The discrepancy in the company accounts was too conspicuous that no auditor could have failed to notice.
- Getting this contract is crucial to the future of our company.
- We are contented to work for that company.
- They seem to have no coherent plan for saving the company.
- The company was in deep financial difficulties.
- a company of
一伙人 a ground of people
- fall into company with
偶然和…相识 make friend by chance
- for company
做伴,陪伴 being together with sb
- in company (with)
(和…)一起 get together(with sb)
- in the company of
和…在一起 get together with sb
- inflict one's company upon
打扰某人 bother sb
- keep company
陪伴某人,陪某人同走 get together with sb
keep sb company
I've come to keep you company.
I'll keep you company as far as the station.
Her neighbours often keep her company in the evenings.
- keep company with
与…交往,与…结伴 make friend with sb
keep company with sb
Never keep company with dishonest persons.
He kept company with her for years.
- part company
分手,断绝来往 part with
- avoid company 避免与…交往
- bear company 陪伴某人
- choose company 选择伙伴
- enjoycompany 喜欢与…做伴
- fall into company with 偶然和…相识
- inflict company 打扰某人
- keep sb company 陪伴某人,陪某人同走
- part company 分手,断绝来往
- carrying company 运输公司
- construction company 建筑公司
- fire company 火灾保险公司
- joint-stock company 股份公司
- limited joint stock company 股份有限公司
- motor-vehicle manufacturing company 摩托车制造公司
- navigation company 航海公司
- telephone company 电话公司
- publishing company 出版公司
- affiliated C- 分公司
- import and export company 进出口公司
- insurance company 保险公司
- oil company 石油公司
- China Ocean Shipping C- 中国远洋运输公司
- City C- 伦敦市商业公会
- mutual investment company 互助投资信托公司
He found his own company quite absorbing.出自： H. James
My child was quiet in the company of the others.出自： N. Mosley
We had company at dinner.
The cinema company is/are holding a meeting.
Smith and Company are holding a meeting.
- company作名词指“公司”时，前面有无and意义不同，如Smith和其他人合办的公司叫Smith and Company，这种情况下company前不加冠词the，也可以叫The Smith Company。只要是没有and 或&符号的，前面用The或不用The都可以。有时有多个姓，如Smith, Jones, and Company, Smith and Jones Company, The Smith and Jones Company(这里and后面并不直接跟Company，可以加冠词the）。
- company, accompany
- 这两个词词形和词义相近,但前者是动词,多指动态; 后者是名词,常指静态,常作keep, bear等的宾语补足语。
- keep sb company, accompany sb
- keep sb company的目的是使某人不寂寞,“伴”本身就是目的; 而accompany sb的目的不仅是“伴”,更主要的是去(哪里)或做(什么),其后常接副词或副词性短语。试比较:
- Sit here and keep me company for a while.
- Will you accompany me in drinking a glass of wine?
- in company of, in the company of, in company with
- 这三个短语的区别是:in company of的意思是“在…陪同下”; in the company of和in company with都表示“和…在一起”,但in the company of只用于人或动物,不用于无生命的东西或事物; 而in company with可用于无生命的东西或事物。例如:
- Angell went to Taiyuan in company of his wife.
- Angell went to Taiyuan in company with his wife.
- Lan Lan could be very quarrelsome when in the company of other pandas.
- In 1942, plague, in company with famine, killed almost one fifth the population of the county.
- 1942年,瘟疫和饥荒差不多使这个县 五分之一的人口丧命。
- company, associate, companion, comrade
- associate指由于共同的职业、地位、利益而经常联系的人; companion强调共同度过闲暇时建立起来的友谊联系; company主要指想法相似,但没有深交的“同伴”“朋友”; comrade指与某人在观点或事业上有一致性和利害关系的“战友”或“同志”。例如:
- He is not a friend but a merely business associate.
- My fellow travellers made good companions.
- The teacher advised his pupils always to keep good company.
- The soldier stayed with his wounded com- rade.
- company, corporation, firm, partnership
- 1.company多用于英式英语中; corporation多用于美式英语中。例如:
- His father was employed in the Shanghai Electric Light Company Limited.他父亲受雇于上海电灯有限公司。
- John works for a large American chemical corporation.约翰在替一家美国化学公司工作。
- He is the president of China Ocean Shipping Company.他是中国远洋运输公司的董事长。
- She works for an engineering firm.她在一家工程公司工作。
误 She works in a company in Pittsburgh.
正 She works in a factory in Pittsburgh.
析 汉语常说在“某公司”上班,但英美人却比较喜欢具体的地点,往往把公司说成office, store, factory, plant等。这家电影公司正在举行年会。
误 The cinema company is holding their annual meeting.
误 The cinema company are holding its annual meeting.
正 The cinema company is holding its annual meeting.
误 The Smith and〔 & 〕 Company
正 The Smith Company〔Smith〕 Company史密斯和若干人合办的公司
误 The Smith and〔 & 〕 Company
正 Smith and〔 & 〕 Company史密斯和琼斯合办的公司
误 Smith and〔 & 〕 Jones Company
正 The Smith and〔 & 〕 Jones Company
误 We had companies and I couldn't get away.
误 We had a company and I couldn't get away.
正 We had company and I couldn't get away.
- ☆ 1150年进入英语，直接源自古法语的compaignie，意为士兵的整体；最初源自后期拉丁语的companio。