- [C]散文,随笔 a short piece of writing on a particular subject
an analytic or interpretive literary composition
a tentative attempt
make an effort or attempt;
"He tried to shake off his fears"
"The infant had essayed a few wobbly steps"
"The police attempted to stop the thief"
"He sought to improve himself"
"She always seeks to do good in the world"
put to the test, as for its quality, or give experimental use to;
"This approach has been tried with good results"
"Test this recipe"
- This essay is admirable in all respects.
- I had turn over my essay to the professor.
- This essay represents a considerable improvement on your recent work.
- The teacher geve an essay on his composition.
- His essay was carried in the June number.
- In my opinion, essay is more readable than poem.
- She made her first essays at cooking.
- He essayed to speak but was told to be quiet.
- It's an essay heavy with surplus phrasing.
- This is a thoughtful essay.
At this point an essay in collective action was tried.出自： A. Bevan
She..No arts essay'd, but not to be admir'd.出自： Pope
- ☆ 16世纪90年代进入英语，直接源自中古法语的essai，意为尝试，企图；最初源自古典拉丁语的exigere：ex (出） + agere (称量），意为权衡，称重。