put to the test, as for its quality, or give experimental use to;
"This approach has been tried with good results"
"Test this recipe"
try something new, as in order to gain experience;
"Students experiment sexually"
"The composer experimented with a new style"
perform in order to get a role;
"She auditioned for a role on Broadway"
take a sample of;
"Try these new crackers"
"Sample the regional dishes"
- The method seems good but it needs to be tried out.
- They are trying out the new method.
- Shirley will try out for the lead in the play.
- He was selected out of many graduates.
- try on，try out
- try on指“试穿（衣服、鞋子）”及“试戴（帽子）”等，其中的on为副词，当宾语是代词时，该宾语要放在on之前；如果宾语是名词，该宾语放在on之前或之后均可。
- try out指“试验或试用”某种机器、理论或方法，其中的out为副词，当宾语是代词时，try out要分开用。