- vt. 试图; 尝试 make an effort at; try to do sth, especially without succeeding
- [C]尝试,试图,企图 an effort made to do sth
- earnest and conscientious activity intended to do or accomplish something;
"made an effort to cover all the reading material"
"wished him luck in his endeavor"
"she gave it a good try"
- the act of attacking;
"attacks on women increased last year"
"they made an attempt on his life"
- make an effort or attempt;
"He tried to shake off his fears"
"The infant had essayed a few wobbly steps"
"The police attempted to stop the thief"
"He sought to improve himself"
"She always seeks to do good in the world"
- enter upon an activity or enterprise
- He attempted to smother up the scandal about his family.
- The enemy failed in their attempt to land on the island.
- He studied hard in an attempt to pass the exam.
He attempted the exam but failed.
He is attempting a difficult task.
If you wish it so much I shall attempt it.
He did not attempt the last question in the examination.
During these two years they attempted many scientific experiments.
They attempted the almost impossible thing.
We mustn't attempt unrestricted expansion regardless if it is within our capacity.
It's better not to attempt too much at one time.
A large robbery was attempted by the thieves.
The judge's life was attempted.
We'll attempt to solve the problem.
They will attempt to do it.
Don't attempt to do so much in such a short time.
They're laudably attempting to carry out the plan.
He attempted to get in touch with them but without success.
I have attempted to give an explanation of this fact.
The old couple will attempt to leave the town as soon as possible.
I attempted to leave without being known, but failed.
Before they fled the country, the enemy attempted to destroy the factories.
He attempted to speak but was told to be quiet.
He attempted to mediate their differences.
They attempted to go on with the work but couldn't.
I'd rather not attempt to guess what the result will be.
He attempted to find the old woman.
The doctor attempted to save the dying man.
The enemy charged up the mountain, attempting to knock out our forces.
We'll attempt solving the problem.
He attempted doing it.
I attempted walking along the rope.
The enemy attempted breaking through our lines.
I attempted walking until I fell over.
They're laudably attempting carrying out the plan.
The enemy vainly attempted destroying the bridge.
News of the attempted deal soon leaked out.
Further attempts are being made at solving this problem.
It's useless to make a further attempt.
He made the attempt again and again without success.
He gave up the attempt.
After repeated attempts they finally succeeded.
I passed my driving test at the third attempt.
The old couple had set aside other feelings in an attempt to hold the family together.
He failed in the attempt to climb the mountain.
She made a last attempt to write a novel.
The attempt to murder him had failed.
He began a new attempt to solve the problem.
He made a brave attempt to save the child's life.
- attempt at
在…方面的试图 an effort made to do sth at sth
He made an attempt at escaping from jail. 他试图越狱逃跑。
- 在…方面的试图 an effort made to do sth at sth
- attempt on
试图做 an effort made to do sth on sth
They made an attempt on a fortress. 他们试图夺取这一要塞。
- 试图做 an effort made to do sth on sth
- attempt on one's life
试图谋杀某人 the attempt to kill sb
They made an attempt on his life. 他们要谋害他的性命。
- 试图谋杀某人 the attempt to kill sb
- attempt sb's life 企图杀害某人
- attempt arduously 艰苦地尝试
- attempt brutally 严峻地尝试
- attempt charitably 慷慨地尝试
- attempt covertly 秘密地尝试
- attempt creditably 值得称赞地尝试
- attempt daringly 大胆地尝试
- attempt desperately 充满危险地尝试
- attempt despicably 可鄙地尝试
- attempt disastrously 灾难性地尝试
- attempt eloquently 雄辩地尝试
- attempt exorbitantly 极其过分地尝试
- attempt falteringly 犹豫地尝试
- attempt feebly 愚蠢地尝试
- attempt forcibly 用暴力方式进行地尝试
- attempt forlornly 孤独无助地尝试
- attempt fruitlessly 无结果地尝试
- attempt futilely 无效地尝试
- attempt grotesquely 可笑地尝试
- attempt heroically 英勇地尝试
- attempt ignobly 不光彩地尝试
- attempt impiously 不恭地尝试
- attempt inadvertently 非故意地尝试
- attempt inauspiciously 不吉利地尝试
- attempt ineffectually 效果不佳地尝试
- attempt ineptly 不恰当地尝试
- attempt ingeniously 巧妙地尝试
- attempt involuntarily 不由自主地尝试
- attempt laboriously 努力地尝试
- attempt laudably 值得赞美地尝试
- attempt memorably 值得回忆地尝试
- attempt murderously 谋杀性地尝试
- attempt obviously 明显地尝试
- attempt outrageously 猖狂地试图
- attempt patriotically 爱国地尝试
- attempt prematurely 提前地尝试
- attempt pretentiously 狂妄地尝试
- attempt previously 先前地尝试
- attempt reasonably 合理地尝试
- attempt repeatedly 多次地尝试
- attempt sincerely 真实地尝试
- attempt spectacularly 引人入胜地尝试
- attempt strenuously 艰难地尝试
- attempt superhumanly 超出常人能力地尝试
- attempt systematically 系统地尝试
- attempt unavailingly 无用地尝试
- foil an attempt 挫败某一企图
- frustrate an attempt 挫败某一企图
- give up the attempt 放弃了那个企图
- make a further attempt 做进一步尝试
- make a last-ditch attempt 作最后的努力
- thwart an attempt 挫败某一企图
- abortive attempt 不成功的尝试
- all-out attempt 全力以赴的尝试
- daring attempt 大胆的尝试
- deliberate attempt 审慎的尝试
- feeble attempt 无效的尝试
- futile attempt 徒劳的尝试
- half-hearted attempt 三心二意的尝试
They have awak'd, And 'tis not done. Th' attempt, and not the deed, Confounds us.出自：Macbeth,Shakespeare
[He] flung away his life in a gallant attempt to save a servant who had fallen overboard.出自：J. M. Barrie
I tried to smile, but I made a rather poor attempt at it.出自：J. Marquand
All attempts to meet her have failed so far.出自：L. Durrell
If thou attempt it, it will cost thee dear.出自：Othello,Shakespeare
To embolden her to attempt extorting the right of investitures.出自：D. Hume
Tiberius answered..that his troops were not yet fit to attempt the task.出自：R. Graves
He attempted to smile back at him, but found it difficult.出自：W. Trevor
- attempt后可加不定式，如attempt to do，也可加介词和动名词勾结，如attempt at doing，不过习惯上，不定式的用法更为普遍；
- 作为名词时，attempt是指可数的尝试，要注意不能随便省略掉冠词an，如make an attempt。也可以说an attempt to do it和an attempt at doing it，或者是不用冠词，如make little attempt，without attempt；
The work was attempted to be done quickly.
An attempt was made to do the work quickly.
- attempt, endeavour, try
这组词都有“尝试”或“设法 ”的意思。它们之间的区别是：1.attempt只用作及物动词,强调“希望成功”,但不一定成功,是正式用语。例如:We attempted a race.我们试图进行一次比赛。It would be a waste of time to attempt the impossible.试图做办不到的事是浪费时间。2.endeavour在作“努力”“尽力”解时,是褒义词,指为了完成某事而作出巨大的努力,尤其在面临困难的时候。例如:The UN is endeavouring to establish peace.联合国正在为世界和平而努力。Galieo endeavoured to prove that the earth rotates around the sun.伽利略尽力证明地球是绕着太阳转的。3.try既可用作及物动词,也可用作不及物动词,强调通过多种努力,力争取得成功,还有“审讯,审理”的意思,常用于日常口语中。例如:I don't think I can do it, but I'll try.我认为我做不来那个,但我愿试一试。If you can't do it the first time, try again.要是你第一次做不成,就再试一下。Who is going to try the case?谁将审理此案件?
误 Any attempt leaving early is against regulations.
正 Any attempt to leave early is against regulations.
错句：the main mortgage rate is up only a quarter per cent in an attempt to limit the pain.
纠正：the rise in the main mortgage rate has been restricted to a quarter per cent in an attempt to limit the pain.
分析：句中需要有一个动词去作为in an attempt to的依托，故加rise。
- ☆ 15世纪初期英入进语，直接源自古法语的attempter，意为试图；最初源自拉丁语的attemptare：ad (去） + temptare (尝试），意为尝试。
- attempt:attempt n. 努力, 尝试, 企图vt. 尝试, 企图 英英解释:名词attempt:1. earnest and conscientious activity intended to do…