- vt. 挑选 select from others for special attention, etc.
- [C] 单程票 a single ticket
- [U] 单打 s single run
- 单一的,单个的 having only one part, quality; being only one
- a base hit on which the batter stops safely at first base
- the smallest whole number or a numeral representing this number;
"he has the one but will need a two and three to go with it"
"they had lunch at one"
- being or characteristic of a single thing or person;
"individual drops of rain"
"please mark the individual pages"
"they went their individual ways"
- used of flowers having usually only one row or whorl of petals;
"single chrysanthemums resemble daisies and may have more than one row of petals"
- existing alone or consisting of one entity or part or aspect or individual;
"upon the hill stood a single tower"
"had but a single thought which was to escape"
"a single survivor"
"a single serving"
"a single lens"
"a single thickness"
- not married or related to the unmarried state;
"unmarried men and women"
"sex and the single girl"
"are you married or single?"
- characteristic of or meant for a single person or thing;
"an individual serving"
"a single bed"
- having uniform application;
"a single legal code for all"
- not divided among or brought to bear on more than one object or objective;
"judging a contest with a single eye"
"a single devotion to duty"
"gained their exclusive attention"
- hit a single;
"the batter singled to left field"
- The letter was written on a single sheet of paper.
- I'd like to have a single room, preferably, facing south.
- Every single child will receive a gift.
- Freshwater is the single most precious element for life on earth.
- He can't stay single for a long time.
- A single room with a bath, if possible.
- I need a single ticket to Paris tonight.
- There are two second-class singles to Leeds.
- His first single topped the charts for six weeks.
- I'm sorry. Mr. Smith, your request arrived too late to reserve a single.
- They organize parties for singles.
- I'd like to break this ten dollar bill into ten singles.
- The teacher was reluctant to single out individual students for praise or blame.
They quoted 756 dollars for the single New York—London fare.
Two-second class singles to Leeds, please.
He bore off the first prize in the men's singles.
The men's singles at Beijing last year were exciting.
One ￡5 note and the other ￡5 in singles, please.
Evenings bring couples and singles for concert.
They desired their single son to become a pilot.
The single child of a couple enjoys free medical care.
She had screamed for half an hour and not a single person had come to her aid.
The president has not appointed a single black judge to the south.
Hardly a single house was to be seen.
Jane is coming to stay with us.Have we another single bed?
A single spark can start a prairie fire.
Completely cured.Not a single spot on them.
The new furniture cost us every single penny we had.
There wasn't a single person on the beach.
His single aim was to make money.
Papa would not permit the waste of a single drop of water.
You'd be surprised at the amount that boy can pack away in a single day.
They covered 120 miles in a single night.
We can't afford wasting a single minute.
Not a single one is omitted.
We have lumped all the advanced students into a single class.
Actors have to learn their lines by heart; they mustn't get a single word wrong.
The single man was tired of instant noodles and ate out for a change.
We could not understand why he went to so much trouble for a single nut.
Not a single boy in the class could get the problem out.
Not a single of speck cloud is to be seen.
Misfortunes never come single.
Some roses are double; others are single.
Are you married or single?
I wonder why he remains single.
- single out (v.+adv.)
挑出 select from others for special attention, etc. single sb/sth ⇔ out
They were all to blame, why single him out for punishment?他们全都应该受到责备,为什么单单挑出他来受惩罚?
Why have you singled this out for criticism?你为什么单挑这件事批评?
He singled out in human nature the ugly elements to mock at.他挑选了人性中的丑恶成分来加以嘲讽。用于 be ～ed 结构
Three other people were singled out for special praise.另外三人被挑选出来给予特别表扬。
He was singled out to succeed his uncle.他被选出来继承他叔叔的产业。
- 挑出 select from others for special attention, etc. single sb/sth ⇔ out
- single appropriately 合适地挑选
- single arbitrarily 任意地挑选
- single critically 挑剔地挑选
- single definitely 肯定地挑选
- single deliberately 深思熟虑地挑选
- single discreetly 慎重地挑选
- single dispassionately 不带偏见地选出
- single emotionally 情绪激动地挑选
- single fastidiously 过分讲究地挑选
- single finally 最后地挑选
- single impudently 厚颜无耻地选出
- single inevitably 不可避免地挑选
- single injudiciously 不明智地挑选
- single instinctively 本能地挑选
- single invariably 不变地挑选
- single irrelevantly 不相关地挑选
- single logically 按逻辑推理地挑选
- single mistakenly 错误地挑选
- single morally 道义地挑选
- single nonsensically 无意义地挑选
- single precisely 精确地挑选
- single promiscuously 不加区分地挑选
- single prudently 慎重地挑选
- single resolutely 果断地挑选
- single righteously 正直地挑选
- single ruthlessly 无情地选出
- single scrupulously 认真地挑选
- single sensibly 合理地挑选
- single shrewdly 明智地挑选
- single speedily 快速地挑选
- single sympathetically 同情地挑选
- single tactfully 机敏地挑选
- single tastefully 趣味高雅地挑选
- single ultimately 最后地挑选
- single unaccountably 不可理解地挑选
- single unanimously 一致挑选
- single universally 筛选
- single out 挑出
'Refer to me as a bachelorette.' 'I think the term is swinging single now.'出自：M. Gordon
She lived in a condominium complex for singles.出自：D. Leavitt
Behold her, single in the field, yon solitary Highland lass.出自：Wordsworth
She was quite single and by herself, deriving from nobody.出自：D. H. Lawrence
His early sheep knowledge came back to him as he began to single out the ewe.出自：N. M. Gunn
When I talk to a group of people I always have to single one out and talk to him.出自：S. Plath
- single的意思是“单一的,单个的”,指不伴随、不依傍、不参与其他事物。引申可指“单人的; 未婚的,独身的”等。
- single, choose, collect, elect, pick, select
这组词都指从若干事物或人中间“挑选出”适合要求、满足需要的事物或人。其区别在于:1.pick可用于表示无需特别仔细的挑选、辨别的某种情况。例如:My wife is going with me to help me pick out a new suit.我妻子和我一起去以帮我挑选一件新西装。2.collect指有计划、有选择地“精选”。例如:I like collecting stamps very much, and I've also collected many foreign stamps.我非常喜欢集邮,我还收集了许多外国邮票。3.choose指判断和进行实际挑选,该词强调做决定过程中所下的决心,侧重于意志或判断。例如:It is highly important for us to choose and train successors.对我们来说,挑选和培养接班人是十分重要的。The students chose him as their monitor because they liked him.学生们选他做班长,因为他们喜欢他。The greedy boy chose the largest apple in the dish.那贪心的孩子从盘中挑了一个最大的苹果。You may choose from them the one you like best.你可从它们中间选出你最喜欢的一个。They chose her a secretary.他们选择她做秘书。He was chosen our team leader.他被选为我们的队长。4.select强调在进行认真的考虑后,从很多的人或物中精选出最好的、最中意的。这是书面用语,有时具有庄严、正式的感情色彩。例如:They selected a diamond engagement ring.他们挑选了一枚钻石订婚戒指。Why didn't you select a nice subject?你为什么没选一个好题目?Select the book you want.选你需要的书。We selected her to represent us.我们选她作为我们的代表。He selected the village as a base of operation.他选择了该村为试验基地。He selected a pair of socks to match his suit.他为配他的那身衣服选了一双袜子。5.elect所含的意思主要是指在一定的范围内,在有限的数量中,遵照一定的规章或法则,用投票或举手等表决方式,以多数为标准,选出代表或负责人。例如:We elected the captain of our football team by a show of hands.我们举手选举我们的足球队长。Only someone born in the United States can be elected as President.只有在美国出生的人才可以被选为美国总统。The committee is made up of men and women elected by the people.委员会是由人民选出的人员组成。6.single强调从若干人或物中慎重地挑出适合要求的人或物。例如:He was singled out to succeed his uncle.他被选出来继承他叔叔的产业。
- single, only, sole
这三个词都有“唯一的”意思。其区别在于：1.single的意思是“单一的,单个的”,指不伴随、不依傍、不参与其他事物。2.only与单数可数名词连用时意思是“唯一的”,与复数名词连用时意思是“仅有的”。例如:That is the only fault to be found with him.那是他身上挑得出来的唯一毛病。We were the only women there.那儿的女生只有我们几个。3.sole强调“单独的”,而且只考虑到单独的一个。例如:The sole survivor of the crash was a little baby.这次撞车的唯一幸存者是一个婴儿。He is the sales representative with sole responsibility for sales in the North East.他是负责东北地区销售业务的销售代表。4.语义上, sole>single>only。
- only single sole unique alone
误 Why have you singled me up for criticism?
正 Why have you singled me out for criticism?
析 single out 是短语动词,作“挑出,选出”解,其中副词 out 不能由 up 替代。
- ☆ 1300年左右进英入语，直接源自古法语的sengle，意为一个，分开的；最初源自古典拉丁语的singulus，意为一个，单个，分开的。
- SINGLE:Stay Intoxicated Nightly, Get Laid Everyday (Jeff Foxworthy)夜间,保持喝醉Foxworthy铺设天天(杰夫。)
- single:single adj. 单一的, 单身的, 单纯的, 孤独的, 专一的, 个别的n. 一个, 单打, 单精度型vt. 选出vi. [棒]作一垒打 英英解释:名词single:1. a base hit…