a structure that has a roof and walls and stands more or less permanently in one place;
"there was a three-story building on the corner"
"it was an imposing edifice"
- This edifice is used as a working place.
- There is a huge Victorian edifice in the area.
- The legislature is housed in an impressive granite edifice.
- The whole edifice of his hopes was destroyed .
- His theory of justice was elaborate and forms a cornerstone of his philosophical edifice.
He had been living..in an edifice of red brick, with granite copings and an enormous fan-light over the door.出自： H. James
One logical slip and an entire scientific edifice comes tumbling down.出自： R. M. Pirsig