- v. 吞食；毁灭；贪婪地阅读
- vt. 狼吞虎咽地吃光 eat quickly and completely
- vt. 津津有味地看；如饥似渴地读 read or look at sth with great interest and enthusiasm
- vt. 吞没；毁灭 destroy
"Fire had devoured our home"
"She devoured his novels"
"Some people can down a pound of meat in the course of one meal"
"he devoured three sandwiches"
- He sat by the fire, devouring beef and onions.
- We watched the flames devour the entire building.
- The child devours fairy tales.
- The lions devoured a zebra in a short time.
- He devoured everything he could lay his hands on: books,magazines and newspapers.
- The flames devoured the curtains.
There was no sign of the dead mouse. Presumably it had been devoured by the cats.出自： J. G. Farrell
Thor felt hungry. He devoured an entire ox, and..eight salmon.出自： K. Crossley
- devour, consume, eat, ingest, swallow
- 这几个词的共同意思是“吃”。其区别在于:eat最常用,指放入口中经过咀嚼再吞咽下去的过程,对人或物都适用,引申指缓慢地逐渐腐蚀或消磨过程; consume指吃完全部食物或喝光所有饮料,引申指消耗光所有的物质、金钱等; devour强调狼吞虎咽地吃,引申指吞灭或毁灭; ingest是生理学用语,指咽下或吸收的过程; swallow指不经过充分咀嚼就囫囵吞入肚中,强调匆忙。例如:
- The termites have eaten deep into the wood.白蚁已经把木头蛀得很深了。
- The fire soon consumed the wooden building.大火不久就烧毁了这座木头建筑物。
- He was devoured by hate.他满腔怨恨。
- Twelve workers have ingested radioactive substances well above the permitted maximum.12名工人摄入体内的放射性物质已大大超过最大限度。
- This drug can't be swallowed; it has to be injected.这药不能吞服,只能注射。
- devouringly adv. 贪婪地