- v. 识字；阅读；朗读；理解；读到；猜测；读唇语；写着；读起来（给人以某种印象）；显示；看读数；听到；将...改为；攻读；（计算机）读盘
- n. 阅读；好读物
- adj. 博学的；熟知的
- Herbert Edward Read 里德爵士（1893-1968，英国诗人、文学评论家）
- vt. & vi. 读; 看懂,理解 look at and understand (sth printed or written); get (the stated information) from print or writing
- vt. 显示; 标明 show or indicate
something that is read;
"the article was a very good read"
interpret something that is written or printed;
"read the advertisement"
"Have you read Salman Rushdie?"
have or contain a certain wording or form;
"The passage reads as follows"
"What does the law say?"
look at, interpret, and say out loud something that is written or printed;
"The King will read the proclamation at noon"
obtain data from magnetic tapes;
"This dictionary can be read by the computer"
interpret the significance of, as of palms, tea leaves, intestines, the sky; also of human behavior;
"She read the sky and predicted rain"
"I can't read his strange behavior"
"The fortune teller read his fate in the crystal ball"
interpret something in a certain way; convey a particular meaning or impression;
"I read this address as a satire"
"How should I take this message?"
"You can't take credit for this!"
be a student of a certain subject;
"She is reading for the bar exam"
indicate a certain reading; of gauges and instruments;
"The thermometer showed thirteen degrees below zero"
"The gauge read `empty'"
audition for a stage role by reading parts of a role;
"He is auditioning for `Julius Caesar' at Stratford this year"
to hear and understand;
"I read you loud and clear!"
make sense of a language;
"She understands French"
"Can you read Greek?"
- Only a few of the children there can read.
- Read the text slowly and deliberately.
- Every man is a volume if you know how to read him.
- Please read aloud so that I can hear you.
- I can read French but I can't speak it.
- Silence must not always be read as consent.
- I read a good article in today's paper.
- The marker reads "12 kilometres".
- Generally, the article reads very well.
- What does the thermometer read?
- A man came to read the gas meter.
- Do you read me?
- We advise the bank to amend the clause to read "partial shipment be permit".
- She read history as an undergraduate.
- My computer can't read the disk you sent.
- I was having a quiet read when the phone rang.
- His thrillers are always a gripping read.
- He is very widely read in law.
- I have been reading the whole morning.
- She is learning to read.
- I have little time to read.
- Children in a primary school read and write every day.
- The sentence reads smoothly.
- The two editions read differently.
- The name should read “Benson”, not “Fenton”.
- This poem reads well.
- His article reads fluently.
- She likes reading books.
- How many English books have you read?
- I read English literature at Beijing University.
- I can't read your notes.
- Can you read the signs?
- She reads French quite well, but doesn't speak it.
- I can read your thoughts from your face.
- You can read a person's character at the first glance.
- A motorist must be able to read traffic signs.
- Nobody can read the future.
- He said he can read your future.
- The clock reads four-twenty.
- The ticket reads “From New York to Boston”.
- Such books are little read nowadays.
- Mary read how to make pastry.
- I read that the new director is Chinese.
- I have read that the airport was widely used during the war.
- His letter reads that he doesn't intend to come.
- The law reads that he is guilty.
- I can't read what the thermometer says.
- We read how it was done.
- I'll read you the newspaper.
- I read him the poem.
- Will you please read me the letter?
- I'll read you another passage.
- Let me read it to you.
- The teacher read a poem to the class.
- Could you read that material for me?
- She read a nice story for the children.
- We can take (it) as read that an apology was given.
- You may take it as read that Facer will be angry when he hears what you've done.
- We can take it as read that the newspapers will support our opponents.
- I read her reply as refusal.
- Silence mustn't always be read as consent.
- read about (v.+prep.)
读到; 获悉 receive information concerning (sth) through printed material
read about sth
I read about it in the newspaper.
The heart transplants have been read about and discussed everywhere.
- read back (v.+adv.)
复述 repeat a reading of; read in return
read sth ⇔ back
Please read back the text of my message.
When you send a telegram by phone, the operator will normally read it back to you.
- read for (v.+prep.)
为取得(学位等)而攻读〔学习〕 study so as to obtain (a degree) or become a member of (the bar, the profession or lawyers, etc.)
read for sth
My son is reading for the law, and hopes to become a lawyer at the end of next year.
- read in (v.+prep.)
读到; 学习,研究 read words printed in a book, newspaper, etc.; study a subject by reading; understand sth by reading or studying sth
read in sth
I like to read deeply in any subject that I choose to study.
我喜爱通过深入阅读学习我选择的任何课题。read sth in sth
The story must be true,I read it in the newspaper.
I could read the answer in his face before he spoke.
He read in a magazine that more prisoners had been captured.
I read in a book that this was discovered by a young soldier.
Yesterday I read in the paper that milk would cost more.
- read into (v.+prep.)
理解…时加进 add more than is justified
read sth into sth
Don't read more into her letter than she intended.
He read love into her casual friendliness.
Try not to read evil intentions into the ordinary actions of people.
You shouldn't read things into what I said.
You are reading more than words intended into what he said.
- read like (v.+prep.)
读起来像是… be like another sth while reading sth
read like sth
This doesn't read like a child's composition.
That article reads like a translation.
This book reads like a biography.
The poem reads like a translation.
- read of (v.+prep.)
读到; 获悉 receive information concerning (sth) through printed material
read of sth
I read of his death in yesterday's newspaper.
- read off (v.+adv.)
全部流利地读出 read (sth such as words) thoroughly, often loud and smoothly
read sth ⇔ off
He read off the instructions as though he knew them by heart.
The radio announcer read off the message as if he'd known it by heart.
- read on (v.+adv.)
继续读 continue to read
I'm sorry I interrupted.Please read on.
Our story finished at this point last week; now read on.
The novel was so absorbing that she read on without a break even forgetting food and sleep.
When you have done the exercise, read on to page 12.
- read out (v.+adv.)
读出 (of a computer) produce (the results of an inquiry or calculation)
- read over (v.+adv.)
重新读 read from beginning to end
read sth ⇔ over
Read over your written work before handing it in.
The BBC read the script over before allowing the programme to be made.
Let me read that over.I must have mistaken the name.
- read through (v.+adv.)
仔细阅读 examine thoroughly
read sth ⇔ through
The editor read through the manuscript.
The passage was so difficult that he had to read it through several times before he could understand it.
- read to (v.+prep.)
边读边使(自己)处于某种状态 cause oneself to be in a state while reading
read oneself to sth
She often reads herself to sleep.
He even read himself to tears.
- read up (v.+adv.)
攻读,钻研 learn up by reading; study
read sth ⇔ up
I believe he has started reading up anthropology.
You have read the subject up but I know nothing about it.
Read up the rules and you'll see I am right.
Before trying to tackle his homework he read up the notes he had taken at the lecture.
他把课堂上记的笔记认真看过后才动手做作业。read up on sth
I must read up on the developments in the French language; I'm afraid I'm getting out of touch.
I must read up on Arab customs before I go to Bahrain.
- read a dream 释梦
- read a language 读懂某种语言
- read a letter 读信
- read a map 查阅地图
- read a novel 读小说
- read a poem aloud 朗诵一首诗
- read a story 读故事
- read a telegram 读电报
- read books 读书
- read drawing 领会绘画
- read men's hearts 了解〔考察〕人们的心理
- read music 领会音乐
- read newspapers 看报
- read one's face 观察某人的脸色
- read one's hand 看手相
- read one's mind 看出某人的心思
- read one's mood 理解某人的心境
- read one's thoughts 看出某人的心思
- read the future 预言未来
- read the sky 观天
- read aloud 朗诵〔读〕
- read quite well 阅读能力相当强
- read admirably 巧妙地识破
- read carefully 认真阅读
- read clearly 清楚地标着
- read differently 读起来不一样
- read diligently 勤奋地阅读
- read distinctly 清晰地标明
- read eagerly 热切地阅读
- read easily 容易看懂
- read fluently 流利地朗读
- read greedily 贪婪地阅读
- read hungrily 如饥似渴地阅读
- read hurriedly 匆匆地阅读
- read intensively 精读
- read largely 广泛地阅读
- read loudly 大声地读
- read normally 正常地读
- read oddly 读起来很怪
- read purposely 有目的地阅读
- read silently 默读
- read smoothly 读起来很流畅
- read widely 阅读广泛
- read wisely 聪明地阅读
- read back 复述
- read off 宣读
- read on 往下念
- read out 宣读,朗读
- read out the result of the voting 宣读选举结果
- read over 读完,读一遍
- read through 看完
- read through three of the passages 看完三段
- read up 专攻,熟读
- read up on some subject 系统地研究某一学科
- read about 读到〔阅悉〕…
- read as follows 内容如下
- read between the lines 在字里行间寻找言外之意
- read by candlelight 在烛光下阅读
- read by children 供儿童阅读
- read for 为…阅读〔学习〕
- read for an examination 准备考试
- read for degree 为取得学位而用功读书
- read for the bar 为当律师而攻读
- read from a book 选书中一段阅读
- read from one's favourite author 选读自己最喜爱的作家的作品
- read in a book 读一本书读得入迷
- read in full as follows 全文如下
- read into 把…理解成,使…归于
- read of 读到〔阅悉〕…
- read of that news quite by chance 偶然看到那则消息
- read out of 宣布把…开除
- read to 读给…听
- read to oneself 默读
- read oneself to sleep 看书看得睡着
- read with expression 有表情地朗读
He'd..gone to bed to lie down and have a read.出自： T. Parker
Tamburlaine is a tolerable read..As a stage play it is pretty hopeless.出自： J. I. M. Stewart
He was deeply read in the ancients.出自： Henry Fielding
Leading editorials were read..to the people.出自： A. Carnegie
I don't read Scott.出自： R. Kipling
We had read the same..books.出自： S. Bellow
She started reading him a story.出自： K. Amis
- take (it) as read that...的意思是“认为”。
- read, read about, read of
- read的意思是“读”; read of的意思是“读到”; read about的意思是“读到…的细节”。read的宾语是book, newspaper, poem等报刊、杂志或文章、诗集等,而read of和read about的宾语则是报纸杂志或文章诗集等里面的内容。
- read, browse, leaf, scan
- 这四个词都有“读”的意思。它们之间的区别是：browse指“泛读”“浏览”,其目的在于挑选,有时也引申为采购其他物品; leaf一般指快速翻动,其目的只看看关键性的词汇或段落,多与through连用; 而scan则指迅速阅读一篇文章以便能抓住其主要内容,其目的性很强,也比leaf和browse严肃; 而read属于普通用语,应用十分广泛,既可指“泛读”“浏览”,也可指“朗读”“默读”“精读”。例如:
- There was no time to read the whole magazine so I just browsed through the pages.由于没有时间读完整本杂志,所以我只是随便翻阅了一下。
- She often browses in dress shops during her lunch hour.她利用午餐休息时间经常逛逛服装店。
- He quickly leafed through the phone book to find the numbers of a few hotels.他很快地翻阅着电话簿查找一些饭店的电话号码。
- She scanned the list of names to see if hers was on it.她粗略地看了一下名单,想知道是否有她的名字。
误 The sentence is read smoothly.
正 The sentence reads smoothly.
误 I read it quite by chance in an old magazine.
正 I read about it quite by chance in an old magazine.当我阅读到有关我家乡的巨大变化时,我忍不住很兴奋。
误 When I read the great changes in my hometown,I can't help getting excited.
正 When I read about the great changes in my hometown,I can't help getting excited.
析 “读到…”“在阅读中得知…”英语用read of〔about〕...,其中read是不及物动词,必须跟介词。我正在读书。
误 I am reading books.
正 I am reading.那小姑娘正在看一本书。
误 The little girl is reading.
正 The little girl is reading a book.
析 泛指“看书”或“读书”时一般不在read后加book,若表示“看某一本书”,则可说read a book。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的redan，意为读。