- vt. & vi. 抱怨; 诉苦 say that sth is wrong; find fault
- express complaints, discontent, displeasure, or unhappiness;
"My mother complains all day"
"She has a lot to kick about"
- make a formal accusation; bring a formal charge;
"The plaintiff's lawyer complained that he defendant had physically abused his client"
- The tourist complained that the room was too dirty.
- She complained to me about his rudeness.
- He will complain to the police that I struck him.
- The patient is complaining of acute earache.
He is always complaining.
You have no reason to complain.
Their hands blistered, but no one complained.
George complained that he was hungry.
She often complains that he is dishonest.
She complained that the room is cold.
He complained that he had been badly treated.
She complained that the exam was too hard.
He complained that he couldn't find a job anywhere.
- complain about (v.+prep.)
抱怨,投诉 express an unfavourable opinion about complain about sth/v-ing
I wish to complain about the washing machine that I bought last month; it stopped working again.我上个月买的那台洗衣机不能用了,我可要投诉它质量不佳了。
He never complained about working overtime.他从来不因加班而抱怨。用于 be ～ed 结构
The food was complained about to the nurse.(人们)向护士投诉了伙食不好。
- 抱怨,投诉 express an unfavourable opinion about complain about sth/v-ing
- complain against (v.+prep.)
(向…)申诉 say (sth) is wrong to (sb) complain against sb/sth
I have to complain against him because of his rudeness.我不得不申诉他的无礼。
She have to complain against the slight injuries.她不得不诉说这小伤害。
- (向…)申诉 say (sth) is wrong to (sb) complain against sb/sth
- complain of (v.+prep.)
抱怨,诉苦 say that (sth) is wrong; find fault complain of sth/v-ing
He complained of being underpaid.他抱怨工资太低。
She complained to me of his rudeness.她向我抱怨了他的粗鲁。
Go to the teacher and complain of needing more time to do the work.去找老师诉诉苦,就说做作业的时间不够。
He often complains of his memory.他常抱怨自己的记性不好。
I've got nothing to complain of really.我真的没有什么可抱怨的。
Mother is always complaining of not having enough time.母亲总是抱怨没有足够的时间。
- 抱怨,诉苦 say that (sth) is wrong; find fault complain of sth/v-ing
- complain to (v.+prep.)
向…抱怨 say that sth is wrong to sb complain to sb
You'll have to complain to Head Office if the washing machine stops working again.要是洗衣机再出毛病的话,你只好向总公司诉说了。
Complain to the boy's mother, not to me.找孩子他妈说去,别找我。complain to sb that-clause
Mrs. Jones complained to the doctor that her back always hurts her.琼斯太太向医生诉说她背部老是痛。
She complained to me that he had been rude to her.她向我诉说他曾对她有粗鲁的行为。
- 向…抱怨 say that sth is wrong to sb complain to sb
- 用作不及物动词时,其后可接of或about引起的短语, of后常是诉苦的内容,可为名词或动名词,而about后则是对抱怨事物概括的陈述。当表示“向…抱怨…”时,要用complain to sb of〔about〕 sth 结构。
- complain还有“申诉”“投诉”的意思，其后可接about, of或against。
- complain表示病人诉说时,不可说complain about〔against, at〕,应说complain of。例如:She is always complaining of her toothache to the doctor.她老是跟大夫说她牙痛。
- complain, grumble, murmur
这组词的共同意思是“抱怨”或“埋怨”。其区别是：1.complain是向别人诉苦; murmur是背着别人自言自语地“抱怨”; grumble通常带有感情色彩和个人情绪,指一边发脾气,一边自己对自己叽叽咕咕。2.complain还有“投诉”的意思。3.grumble多用于指男性。
- ☆ 1370年左右进入英语，直接源自古法语的complaindre，意为为……哀悼；最初源自古典拉丁语的complangere：com (更强地） + plangere (打，拍打胸脯），意为猛烈拍地打胸脯。
- whinge <英>哀鸣
- find fault挑剔
- kvetch <俚> 经常性地发牢骚...
- sound off力陈己见
- complain:complain v. 抱怨, 悲叹, 控诉…