- vt. 找到; 发现 discover especially by searching; discover sb/sth by chance or experience
- vt. 发觉,感到,认为 discover (sb/sth) to be, by chance or experience
- vt. 到达; 努力获得 reach; arrive at; obtain by effort
- vt. 供给,供应; 知道…是有的 provide; know or see that sth exists or happens
- vt. 〈律〉判决,裁决 decide (sb) to be
- [U]发现 discovery
- [C]发现物 sth good or valuable that is found
- a productive insight
- the act of discovering something
- come upon, as if by accident; meet with;
"We find this idea in Plato"
"I happened upon the most wonderful bakery not very far from here"
"She chanced upon an interesting book in the bookstore the other day"
- discover or determine the existence, presence, or fact of;
"She detected high levels of lead in her drinking water"
"We found traces of lead in the paint"
- come upon after searching; find the location of something that was missed or lost;
"Did you find your glasses?"
"I cannot find my gloves!"
- establish after a calculation, investigation, experiment, survey, or study;
"find the product of two numbers"
"The physicist who found the elusive particle won the Nobel Prize"
- come to believe on the basis of emotion, intuitions, or indefinite grounds;
"I feel that he doesn't like me"
"I find him to be obnoxious"
"I found the movie rather entertaining"
- perceive or be contemporaneous with;
"We found Republicans winning the offices"
"You'll see a lot of cheating in this school"
"The 1960's saw the rebellion of the younger generation against established traditions"
"I want to see results"
- get something or somebody for a specific purpose;
"I found this gadget that will serve as a bottle opener"
"I got hold of these tools to fix our plumbing"
"The chairman got hold of a secretary on Friday night to type the urgent letter"
- make a discovery, make a new finding;
"Roentgen discovered X-rays"
"Physicists believe they found a new elementary particle"
- make a discovery;
"She found that he had lied to her"
"The story is false, so far as I can discover"
- obtain through effort or management;
"She found the time and energy to take care of her aging parents"
"We found the money to send our sons to college"
- decide on and make a declaration about;
"find someone guilty"
- receive a specified treatment (abstract);
"These aspects of civilization do not find expression or receive an interpretation"
"His movie received a good review"
"I got nothing but trouble for my good intentions"
- perceive oneself to be in a certain condition or place;
"I found myself in a difficult situation"
"When he woke up, he found himself in a hospital room"
- get or find back; recover the use of;
"She regained control of herself"
"She found her voice and replied quickly"
- succeed in reaching; arrive at;
"The arrow found its mark"
- accept and make use of one's personality, abilities, and situation;
"My son went to Berkeley to find himself"
- We have found oil under the North Sea.
- I think I'm lost; I can't find the bridge.
- He tried to find in the list his own name.
- How do you find your new job?
- He was found guilty and sentenced to condemnation.
- We find against the defendant and order him to pay costs in the sum of $100.
- Our new babysitter is a real find.
- My new secretary is very good; quite a find, in fact.
Can you help me find a nurse?
I have found the lost book.
Empty your bag into your hand to see if you can find the key.
Each student will find his own personal road to success.
The woman's illness puzzled the doctor, he couldn't find the cause.
After months of digging, they found very little gold.
I can't find that amount of money.
Where were the jewels found?
Lost time is never found again.
Elephants are found in Africa.
I failed to find how to get to the station.
He found that the method worked.
You'll find that I don't frighten easily.
He awoke to find that he was lying on the beach.
We found that we had made a mistake.
He found that nobody knew.
Now he found that he could relax a little.
He had not found what he wanted.
I found him a job.
Please find Mary her bag.
Can you find me a good one?
Did you find him what he wanted?
He has been found a job.
She said she would find an electrician for us.
Mary tried several lines of work, but at last found herself as a teacher.
We found the restaurant to be full.
I found him to be much younger than I expected.
I found myself to be in a dark forest.
Put your money in my business, and you could find yourself (to be) richer.
They found the patient (to be) a small boy of nine years of age.
We found him dishonest.
Do you find him very bright?
People found the boy honest.
I find this wine a little sour.
As a series of episodes,I find this book entertaining.
At dawn we found ourselves back to the place we left the night before.
The jury found the accused person guilty.
I found the door closed.
He found the boy tied to a tree.
Then I found myself surrounded by half a dozen boys.
You will find me ever at your service.
The road gradually widened until we found ourselves in a large valley.
We found it troublesome having to go through all the procedures.
I found it very difficult to adapt myself to things all around here.
We found it an easy thing to get along with her.
How can you find it in your heart to disappoint the children?
We found the chest to contain many silver coins.
I'll find someone to fill in for you.
I found him working in his garden.
I found my headache coming on.
Towards dawn we found ourselves ascending the Nine-Dragon Slope five kilometres from home.
That old book is quite a find.
What a marvellous find!
The bronze chariot proved to be a valuable find.
I made a great find in a secondhand book-shop the other day.
They announced the find of an important manuscript.
The site of the find is a sharp, narrow slope that may once have been on the shore of a lake.
The new finds have deepened our knowledge of giant ape.
His son was a sure find during his illness.
The young actress was the theatrical find of the year.
- find against (v.+prep.)
作出对…不利的判决 (in a court of law) give judgement against (sb) find against sb
The jury found against the plaintiff.陪审团作出不利于原告的裁决。
We find against the defendant and order him to pay costs in the sum of ￡100.我们作出不利于被告的裁决,并让被告付100英镑的诉讼费。
- 作出对…不利的判决 (in a court of law) give judgement against (sb) find against sb
- find for( v.+prep. )
- 〔说明〕 find for不用于被动结构,也不用于进行体。
得到; 找到 obtain for find sb/sth for sb/sth
You must find the right man for the job.你必须找到合适的人选从事这份工作。
Who will find the money for his education?谁来负担他的学费呢?
作出对…有利的判决 give judgement in favour of sb find for sb
The judge found for the defendant, and also said he should be given the cost.法官判被告获胜,应该得到赔偿。
When the case was retired, the jury found for the defendant.这案子重审时,陪审团作出有利于被告的裁决。
- find in1 (v.+adv.)
发现…在… find sb at home or work find sb in
You are lucky to find him in, he's often out of town.你很走运找到他,他经常外出。
- 发现…在… find sb at home or work find sb in
- find in2( v.+prep. )
- 〔说明〕 find in通常不用于进行体。 find sb/sth in sth
发现…在… discover sb/sth in a place
He found a purse in the road. 他在路上捡到一个钱包。
供给 provide sb with money
His uncle found the boy in food and clothing. 他叔叔供养这孩子。
- find oneself
实现自我 discover one's abilities, wishes, and character
The student left the university to go out into the world and find himself. 学生毕业后就要进入社会实现自我。
After trying various jobs, he finally found himself and became a very successful newspaper reporter. 经过几种工作的尝试,他最后自知自己的特点并成为一个成功的新闻记者。
发觉自己(在某地或处于某种状态) become conscious of being in a particular place or situation
When he regained consciousness, he found himself in the middle of the forest. 当他醒来时他发现自己在大森林里。
I woke up to find myself in the hospital. 我醒来发现自己在医院里。
I find myself in almost total agreement with Tony. 我发现自己的意见几乎完全与托尼一致。
They found themselves in a passive position under attack. 他们发现自己处于被动挨打局面。
You'll find yourself in trouble if you're not careful. 如果你不小心会遇到麻烦的。
自理,提供〔满足〕自己的需要 provide (sth) for oneself
He gets 15,000 yuan and finds himself. 他弄到15,000元,能满足自己的需要。
He works for one hundred dollars a month and finds himself. 他月薪100美元,足以自理。
He pays his housekeeper 25 pounds a week but she finds herself in clothes. 他每周付女管家25英镑,衣服则由她自理。
You will find yourself in food and clothes. 你要自己解决吃穿。
- 实现自我 discover one's abilities, wishes, and character
- find out (v.+adv.)
发现,查清; 看穿,猜出; 了解,打听; 通过询问查出; 发觉某人的真实情况,揭发 make a conscious effort; discover a deceitful act; obtain information about sth; discover by enquiry or search; catch in an offence or error; discover the truth about sb; penetrate the disguise of, unmask find out
I hope nobody finds out.我希望无人发现。
She is afraid that he will find out.她怕他会发现。
I'll put the money back before anyone finds out.在别人没发现之前,我得把钱放回去。
I know almost nothing about the economics, but finding out will be enjoyable.我几乎对经济学一无所知,但是很乐意把它弄个明白。
Let's call her up on the telephone and find out.让我给她打个电话了解一下情况。
I won't tell you; you'll have to find out by yourself.我不告诉你,你得自己去打听。
Did you find out about the photographs?你查明有关相片的事情了吗?find out about sth
I'll find out about planes to New York.我去打听一下飞纽约的班机。
Jim wrote to find out about a job in New York.吉姆写信想了解在纽约找工作的情况。
I'll ring him up and find out about the plans for Sunday.我给他去个电话,问问他打算如何度过星期天。find sb/sth ⇔ out
For months the cashier had been falsifying the accounts, but then the company found him out.那出纳员几个月一直篡改账目,但是后来被公司发觉了。
I'll find out your secret.我会发现你的秘密的。
We must find out the truth of the matter.我们必须弄清楚事情的真相。
Find out the islanders' views before making a decision.作决定以前,要弄清岛上居民的意见。
We failed to find him out.我们没有看穿他。
The boy knew that if he cheated on the test the teacher would find him out.男孩知道如果他考试作弊,老师会识破他的。
He found out the riddle at last.他终于猜出了这个谜语。
Ah!I've found you out!啊!我可抓到你的把柄了!
Find out his address, please.请你查查他的地址。
Can you find out Mr. Johnson's address for me?你能替我查出约翰逊先生的地址吗?
See if you can find out her name and address.看看你是否能查到她的姓名和地址。
If you've told a lie, someone will soon find you out.如果你撒了谎,有人会揭发你的。用于 be ～ed 结构
The traitor was finally found out and put in prison.那个卖国贼终于被人发现并被监禁了起来。
The death cause of Marilyn Monro hasn't been found out.玛丽莲·梦露的死因仍未弄清。
The grafter was found out at great loss of state property.贪污犯被查出,但国家财产已遭受巨大损失。
As soon as all the facts have been found out, we can begin to formulate a theory.一切事实一经查明,我们就能开始系统地提出一个意见。
You may get away with dishonesty for a while, but you'll be found out sooner or later.你可能骗人一时,但迟早会被揭穿的。find out that-clause
The teacher was very angry when he found out that the students had been cheating.老师发现学生们一直在作弊异常生气。
We were about to buy the house when we found out that it was next door to a pub.我们正打算买下这幢房子时,却发现它的隔壁是家小酒吧。
We soon found out that he was a secret agent .我们很快就查明他是个特务。
FBI found out that the senator committed bribery.美国联邦调查局查明这个参议员有受贿行为。用于 be ～ed 结构
It was found out that certain herbal medicine had curative effect on Aids.经研究发现有些草药对艾滋病有疗效。find out wh-clause
Find out where he is going.弄清楚他要到哪儿去。
He watched the birds to find out where they go.他注视这些鸟,以便发现他们飞往何处。
Will you please try to find out what time that train arrives?请设法帮我搞清那趟火车到站的时间好吗?
Have you found out who rang you up this morning?你有没有了解到,今天早上是谁给你打电话的?
We have not been able to find out who broke the window.我们未能查出谁打破了玻璃窗。
Please find out when the train starts.请你查一下火车什么时候开行。
Can anyone find out when Stephen's birthday is?谁能查出斯蒂芬的生日吗?
After three days of observation, they found out why the dam was sinking and took measures to stop it.经过三天的观察,他们找到了水坝塌陷的原因,并采取了措施制止。
The passenger began to feel of his pocket to find out whether there was any small change.那位旅客开始摸摸口袋,看有没有零钱。
使发作 have an effect on (a weakness) find sb/sth ⇔ out
This cold weather finds out my old wound.这寒冷的天气使我的旧伤疼痛。
The overcast and rainy weather found out his arthritis.阴雨天使他的关节炎发作了。
通过探询或访问获悉(某人)不在 learn by inquiry or paying a visit that sb is away find sb out
I found him out when I called.我去看他时发现他不在家。
I called at Smith's this morning and found him out.今天早晨我去史密斯家,发现他出去了。
I called three times this morning, but found you out every time.今天上午我找了你三次,但每次都发现你不在。
使受惩罚,使得到报应 bring retribution upon; visit with retribution find sb ⇔ out
His sins will find him out.他为非作歹,不会有好下场。
- 发现,查清; 看穿,猜出; 了解,打听; 通过询问查出; 发觉某人的真实情况,揭发 make a conscious effort; discover a deceitful act; obtain information about sth; discover by enquiry or search; catch in an offence or error; discover the truth about sb; penetrate the disguise of, unmask find out
- find a true friend in sb 发现某人是真正的朋友
- find fault 挑剔,指责,找…的岔子
- find interest 对…发生兴趣
- find money 筹措费用
- find one's feet 在社会上站稳,能独立行动
- find one's place 找到位置,找到要找的地方
- find the value of x and y 求X和Y的值
- find time for sth 抽时间做某事
- find way 发现方法
- find constantly 不断地发现
- find eventually 终于发现
- find frequently 经常发现
- find officially 正式发现
- find in 供给,供应(某人衣、食、费用等)
- find out 找出,查明,发现,想出,认识到,揭发出来,求出(值)
- find out a problem 弄清问题
- find out a secret 发现秘密
- find out the cause of death 查明死因
- find out the true fact 辨明真相
- find up 找出
- find against 作出不利于…的裁决
- find for 作出有利于…的裁决
- find in 在…发现,供给
- find oneself in 陷入
- find oneself in a jam 陷入困境
- find the boy in food and clothing 供给那男孩衣食
Bronze weapons are entirely absent from the great finds of the Iron Age.出自：J. Lubbock
In 1276, we find the Emperor and the King of England in constant communication.出自：M. Pattison
I found a shilling on the floor.出自：Oxford English Dictionary
Travelling through the dark I found a deer/dead on the edge of the Wilson River road.出自：W. Stafford
I found her sitting very quietly, as usual, in her large arm-chair.出自：H. Roth
- find还可接以动词不定式或“(to be+) adj./v -ed/ v -ing/ prep. -phrase”充当补足语的复合宾语。接现在分词时表示动作正在进行; 接过去分词表示动作已经完成; 接动词不定式则表示看到动作的全部过程,不定式符号to可有可无,但如果不定式是to be, to则不可省略,但可省略to be。
- find后接that从句,可表示发现一个事实、道理; 后接out,可表示故意去找而找到某件难于找到的东西或经过打听、询问之后搞清楚某事,强调付出了一定的努力。
- We have found him a good assistant.可能有两个意思:①我们已替他找到一个好助手。②我们已经发现他是一个好助手。为了不产生误解,①意最好改为:We have found a good assistant for him. ②意最好改为:We have found him to be a good assistant.
- find, search
两者都可作“找,寻”解。其区别在于:find指找到某人或某物; 而search指为找到某人〔物〕而搜查某地点或某人之身,但是search之后,结果不一定是find sb/sth。
- find, discover, find out, invent, look for
这组词(组)都有“发明”“发现”的意思。discover指发现或偶然发现原来就存在但一直未被认识的东西; look for作“寻找”解时,指寻找的动作和过程; find指寻找的结果,即“找到”,是非延续性动词,不如discover正式; find out指经过观察、调查把某事、某物查出来,搞清楚,弄明白,多用于复杂而不易直接查出的情况; invent指发明原来不存在的东西,有时也可指虚构、捏造。例如:Whilhelm Roentgen discovered X rays.威尔海尔姆·伦琴发现了X射线。He was amazed to find her there.发现她在那里,他很吃惊。Let's try and find out what's at the back of this problems.咱们想法弄清问题的背景是怎样的。Whatt invented the steam engine.瓦特发明了蒸汽机。She ran across some old letters when she was looking for something else.她找别的东西时,偶然翻出几封过去的信。
- Do you find it to pay?
- Do you find it pay?
- Do you find it pays?
- He found food and clothing for the boy.
- He found the boy in food and clothing.
- 注意第一句中的for不能改为to; 第二句里的in不能改为with。
- The dictionary was not found.
- The dictionary was not to be found.
- I found her home.
- I found her a home.
- He found her out.
误 I had been finding a dictionary before you came.
正 I had been looking for a dictionary before you came.
正 I had been trying to find a dictionary before you came.
析 find表示找寻的结果,即“发现”或“找到”,是终止性动词,不能用于进行体。look for〔try to find〕表示“寻找但还未找到”,可以用于进行体。
误 After making observations for a week,Sam found why the shirt factory was so inefficient.
正 After making observations for a week,Sam found out why the shirt factory was so inefficient.
析 表示经探索或观察而发现,特别是发现无形的、隐藏的事情,常用find out加关系代词what, who, where等引导的从句。
误 Jack found very difficult to explain his views to others.
正 Jack found it very difficult to explain his views to others.
误 She found no one answer the question.
正 She found no one could answer the question.
- ☆ 直接源自古英的语findan，意为遇见，碰到。
- FIND:Federal Information & News Dispatch, Inc.联邦政府的信息和新闻调度、股份有限公司
- FIND:Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostics创新的新诊断的依据
- FIND:Figure out the problem, Intensify possible solutions, Name pros and cons for each solution and Decide which solution is best and act on it (handling emergencies)找出问题,加大可行的解决方案,为每一个利弊,决定哪些是最好的解决方案,它(处理突发事件)
- find:find vt. 找到, 发现, 感到, 查明, 得到, 认为, 见到...的存在vi. 裁决n. 发现[计] 在文件中查找指定的字符串 英英解释:名词find:1. a productive ins…