- [C]缺点,缺陷,故障 imperfection or flaw
- [U]过失,过错 (responsibility for a) mistake or offence
- a wrong action attributable to bad judgment or ignorance or inattention;
"he made a bad mistake"
"she was quick to point out my errors"
"I could understand his English in spite of his grammatical faults"
- an imperfection in an object or machine;
"a flaw caused the crystal to shatter"
"if there are any defects you should send it back to the manufacturer"
- the quality of being inadequate or falling short of perfection;
"they discussed the merits and demerits of her novel"
"he knew his own faults much better than she did"
- (geology) a crack in the earth's crust resulting from the displacement of one side with respect to the other;
"they built it right over a geological fault"
"he studied the faulting of the earth's crust"
- (electronics) equipment failure attributable to some defect in a circuit (loose connection or insulation failure or short circuit etc.);
"it took much longer to find the fault than to fix it"
- responsibility for a bad situation or event;
"it was John's fault"
- (sports) a serve that is illegal (e.g., that lands outside the prescribed area);
"he served too many double faults"
- put or pin the blame on
- He has many faults, but vanity is not one of them.
- There is a fault in the electrical system.
- It was not our fault that we were late.
- It's partly your fault.
- They built it right over a geological fault.
- The Balcones Fault is the geological dividing line.
- No one could fault his performance.
The roof collapsed because of a fault in the beams.
With all his faults, he was still a good teacher.
Many schools have heeded the warnings and are working to correct their faults.
For all her faults,Tallulah's friends tolerated and even adored her.
He was in fault several times during his speech.
Sloppiness is his greatest fault.
His only fault is that he lacks experience.
I can't find any fault in it.
Of her many faults, vanity is the greatest.
If these faults could be attended to, public transport in London could be very good.
Send it back to the manufacturer if the machine develops the same fault.
I shall not bear with his fault.
Yet the fault lies on him but in the system.
Whose fault is it that we are late?
The boss is an easy going person and apt to look over other's faults.
I told him whose fault it was.
It's your fault that she hasn't come to the party.
Every man has some faults.
Faults are thick where love is thin.
The fault is on both sides.
The fault lies with him, not with you.
- at〔in〕 fault
有错,有责任; 茫然,不知所措 responsible for a mistake; in the wrong
My memory was at fault. 我记错了。
It was in 1976,I believe, if my memory is not at fault. 我认为那是在1976年,如果我没记错的话。
When the engine would not start, the mechanic looked at all the parts to find what was at fault. 发动机发动不起来,机械师检查了所有的部件,看毛病出在哪里。
In my opinion both of the drivers were at fault. 在我看来,两位司机都有责任。
The driver who didn't stop at the red light was at fault in the accident. 那个闯红灯的司机应对这起车祸负责。
I am at fault as to where to go. 我不知道究竟该去何处。
Who is in fault in the accident? 这次事故是谁的责任?
You were in fault for having been so rude. 你那么粗鲁是不对的。
- 有错,有责任; 茫然,不知所措 responsible for a mistake; in the wrong
- find fault with
挑毛病,挑剔 be overcritical of; discover a flaw in
A bad workman finds fault with his tools. 蹩脚的工匠总是埋怨自己的工具不好。
She finds fault with everything and everybody. 她对每一件事每一个人都吹毛求疵。
They found fault with every box I made. 他们对我制作的每一个箱子都不满意。
He is constantly finding fault with my work. 他经常对我的工作提出批评。
She's always finding fault with the way I do my hair. 她老是挑我的发型的毛病。
- 挑毛病,挑剔 be overcritical of; discover a flaw in
- to a fault
She is generous to a fault. 她过分慷慨。
Jack would give you his last shilling—he's generous to a fault. 杰克会把最后一先令给你——他过于慷慨。
James is cautious to a fault. 詹姆斯太小心翼翼了。
- 过分地,过度地 excessively
- admit one's fault 承认错误
- attack sb's faults 抨击某人的错误
- charge sb with a fault 指责某人犯了过错
- correct one's fault 改正缺点
- cover up a fault 掩饰错误
- discover a fault 发现毛病
- excuse a fault 原谅错误
- find fault 吹毛求疵
- lay one's fault on 把错误归咎于
- mend one's fault 改正缺点
- overlook a fault 宽容错误
- pass over sb's faults 没看出某人的错误
- punish a fault 惩罚错误
- thrust the fault on another 把错误推给别人
- a man of many faults 缺点多的人
And, fault of novel germs, Mature the unfallen fruit.出自：R. W. Emerson
He that marrieth another, faulteth against the former wife.出自：T. Cartwright
Had I died for thee I had faulted more.出自：Browning
短语at fault表示“不知所措的”，be at fault表示“出毛病”，in fault表示“有过失的”，to a fault表示“过分的”，注意不可与指“不好”的词连用，如careless。
She is cautious to a fault.
find fault with表示“责备，挑剔”，属于固定搭配。
He found fault with my composition.
It was my fault that I had written the wrong address.
介词再加no fault of sb可表示为“不是某人的错”。
The cup broke through no fault of the girl.
- fault表示具体的“缺点,错误,缺陷,故障”时,可用作可数名词; 泛指抽象的“过失,过错”“责任”时,是不可数名词。
- 短语to a fault指好得过分以至于要变坏了,它常与正面意思的形容词或副词连用。
- find fault with中的fault是不可数名词,表示“挑剔”,也可说find much fault with; find a fault〔faults〕 in中的fault是可数名词,表示“看出…的缺点”,也可说find many faults in。
- fault可用作动词表示“发现某人〔某事物〕有错、有缺陷等”。例如:No one could fault his performance.他的演出无懈可击。
- fault, defect
这两个词都有“缺点,缺陷”的意思。其区别是：defect强调不影响全局,完美不足,而fault强调不十分严重,无伤大雅; 用于人时, defect多指人体器官上的缺陷,而fault多指道德行为的缺点; 用于物时, defect指易于察觉的缺陷, fault则指功能方面的缺陷。例如:He has some defects in his eyesight.他的视力有缺陷。I bought the cloth cheap because there is a small defect in it.这布我买得便宜,因为上面有个小疵点。Snobbishness was his main fault.他的主要缺点是势利眼。I don't mean to praise myself.I have my fault.我并不是要表扬自己,我也有我的过错。His only fault is that he lacks ambition.他唯一缺点就是没有雄心壮志。This accident is due to a fault in the electrical circuit.这次事故是由电路故障引起的。There is a fault in the machine.这机器有毛病。
- fault, error, flaw, mistake
这四个词都有“缺点,错误”的意思。其区别是：1.fault, flaw主要指“毛病,缺点”; mistake, error主要指“错误”。2.fault多指性格、心智状态、情绪、行为或习惯中的“缺点”。例如:The dean demands perfection in others, but cannot see faults in himself.系主任要求别人完美无缺,却看不到自己的缺点。3.error可指任何错误,也可指笔误,印刷上或计算上的错误。例如:Please pardon any error that you may discover in my letter.请原谅在我的信中你发现的一些错误。This book contains a lot of printer's errors.这本书有很多印刷错误。4.mistake指判断或理解方面的错误,或是由于缺乏思考或疏忽而造成的错误。例如:I used your ink by mistake.我用错了你的墨水。He made some spelling mistakes in his test paper.在考试试卷中,他犯了拼写错误。
错句：my memory was in fault.
纠正：my memory was at fault.
分析：be at fault表示“出毛病”，in fault表示“有过失的”。
- ☆ 13世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古法的f语aute，意为缺少；最初源自古典拉丁的f语alsus，意为欺骗。
- fault:fault n. 过错, 缺点, 故障, 毛病vt. 挑剔vi. 弄错 英英解释:名词fault:1. responsibility for a bad situation or event2. (g…