- [C]缺点,缺陷,故障 imperfection or flaw
- [U]过失,过错 (responsibility for a) mistake or offence
a wrong action attributable to bad judgment or ignorance or inattention;
"he made a bad mistake"
"she was quick to point out my errors"
"I could understand his English in spite of his grammatical faults"
an imperfection in an object or machine;
"a flaw caused the crystal to shatter"
"if there are any defects you should send it back to the manufacturer"
the quality of being inadequate or falling short of perfection;
"they discussed the merits and demerits of her novel"
"he knew his own faults much better than she did"
(geology) a crack in the earth's crust resulting from the displacement of one side with respect to the other;
"they built it right over a geological fault"
"he studied the faulting of the earth's crust"
(electronics) equipment failure attributable to some defect in a circuit (loose connection or insulation failure or short circuit etc.);
"it took much longer to find the fault than to fix it"
responsibility for a bad situation or event;
"it was John's fault"
(sports) a serve that is illegal (e.g., that lands outside the prescribed area);
"he served too many double faults"
put or pin the blame on
- I like him despite his faults.
- He has many faults, but vanity is not one of them.
- There is a fault in the electrical system.
- It was not our fault that we were late.
- It's partly your fault.
- They built it right over a geological fault.
- The Balcones Fault is the geological dividing line.
- No one could fault his performance.
- The roof collapsed because of a fault in the beams.
- With all his faults, he was still a good teacher.
- Many schools have heeded the warnings and are working to correct their faults.
- For all her faults,Tallulah's friends tolerated and even adored her.
- He was in fault several times during his speech.
- Sloppiness is his greatest fault.
- His only fault is that he lacks experience.
- I can't find any fault in it.
- Of her many faults, vanity is the greatest.
- If these faults could be attended to, public transport in London could be very good.
- Send it back to the manufacturer if the machine develops the same fault.
- I shall not bear with his fault.
- Yet the fault lies on him but in the system.
- Whose fault is it that we are late?
- The boss is an easy going person and apt to look over other's faults.
- I told him whose fault it was.
- It's your fault that she hasn't come to the party.
- Every man has some faults.
- Faults are thick where love is thin.
- The fault is on both sides.
- The fault lies with him, not with you.
- at〔in〕 fault
有错,有责任; 茫然,不知所措 responsible for a mistake; in the wrong
- find fault with
挑毛病,挑剔 be overcritical of; discover a flaw in
- to a fault
- admit one's fault 承认错误
- attack sb's faults 抨击某人的错误
- charge sb with a fault 指责某人犯了过错
- correct one's fault 改正缺点
- cover up a fault 掩饰错误
- discover a fault 发现毛病
- excuse a fault 原谅错误
- find fault 吹毛求疵
- lay one's fault on 把错误归咎于
- mend one's fault 改正缺点
- overlook a fault 宽容错误
- pass over sb's faults 没看出某人的错误
- punish a fault 惩罚错误
- thrust the fault on another 把错误推给别人
- a man of many faults 缺点多的人
And, fault of novel germs, Mature the unfallen fruit.出自： R. W. Emerson
He that marrieth another, faulteth against the former wife.出自： T. Cartwright
Had I died for thee I had faulted more.出自： Browning
- fault表示具体的“缺点,错误,缺陷,故障”时,可用作可数名词; 泛指抽象的“过失,过错”“责任”时,是不可数名词。
- 短语to a fault指好得过分以至于要变坏了,它常与正面意思的形容词或副词连用。
- find fault with中的fault是不可数名词,表示“挑剔”,也可说find much fault with; find a fault〔faults〕 in中的fault是可数名词,表示“看出…的缺点”,也可说find many faults in。
短语at fault表示“不知所措的”，be at fault表示“出毛病”，in fault表示“有过失的”，to a fault表示“过分的”，注意不可与指“不好”的词连用，如careless。
She is cautious to a fault.
find fault with表示“责备，挑剔”，属于固定搭配。
He found fault with my composition.
It was my fault that I had written the wrong address.
介词再加no fault of sb可表示为“不是某人的错”。
The cup broke through no fault of the girl.
- fault, defect
- defect强调不影响全局,完美不足,而fault强调不十分严重,无伤大雅; 用于人时, defect多指人体器官上的缺陷,而fault多指道德行为的缺点; 用于物时, defect指易于察觉的缺陷, fault则指功能方面的缺陷。例如:
- He has some defects in his eyesight.他的视力有缺陷。
- I bought the cloth cheap because there is a small defect in it.这布我买得便宜,因为上面有个小疵点。
- Snobbishness was his main fault.他的主要缺点是势利眼。
- I don't mean to praise myself.I have my fault.我并不是要表扬自己,我也有我的过错。
- His only fault is that he lacks ambition.他唯一缺点就是没有雄心壮志。
- This accident is due to a fault in the electrical circuit.这次事故是由电路故障引起的。
- There is a fault in the machine.这机器有毛病。
- fault, error, flaw, mistake
- 1.fault, flaw主要指“毛病,缺点”; mistake, error主要指“错误”。
- The dean demands perfection in others, but cannot see faults in himself.系主任要求别人完美无缺,却看不到自己的缺点。
- Please pardon any error that you may discover in my letter.请原谅在我的信中你发现的一些错误。
- This book contains a lot of printer's errors.这本书有很多印刷错误。
- I used your ink by mistake.我用错了你的墨水。
- He made some spelling mistakes in his test paper.在考试试卷中,他犯了拼写错误。
- ☆ 13世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古法语的faute，意为缺少；最初源自古典拉丁语的falsus，意为欺骗。