- n. 线；思路；螺纹；线索；细丝；帖子
- vt. 穿过；穿线于；遍布
- vi. 滴下成丝状；小心地通过；蜿蜒前进
- 麻纱， 棉纱
- [U][C]线,细线 (length of) spun cotton, wool, silk, etc.; thin strand of nylon, etc.
- [C]线索,思路 line of thought connecting parts of a story, etc.
- vt. 将(针、线等)穿过 … pass needle, thread, string, etc. through (sth)
- vt. 将…穿过…而置于备用位置 pass (film, tape, etc.) through sth and into the required position for use
a fine cord of twisted fibers (of cotton or silk or wool or nylon etc.) used in sewing and weaving
any long object resembling a thin line;
"a mere ribbon of land"
"the lighted ribbon of traffic"
"from the air the road was a grey thread"
"a thread of smoke climbed upward"
the connections that link the various parts of an event or argument together;
"I couldn't follow his train of thought"
"he lost the thread of his argument"
the raised helical rib going around a screw
to move or cause to move in a sinuous, spiral, or circular course;
"the river winds through the hills"
"the path meanders through the vineyards"
"sometimes, the gout wanders through the entire body"
pass a thread through;
"thread a needle"
remove facial hair by tying a fine string around it and pulling at the string;
"She had her eyebrows threaded"
pass through or into;
thread on or as if on a string;
"string pearls on a string"
"the child drew glass beads on a string"
"thread dried cranberries"
- How many spools of thread did you use?
- The thread seems to match the cloth.
- I need one more spool of thread before finishing the embroidery.
- He passed me a coil of thread.
- The girl tied the ends of the thread.
- The little girl threaded the shells together and wore them round her neck.
- I'm afraid I've lost the thread of your argument.
- The thread is formed into a ball.
- Fasten the thread off with a knot.
- Let me take that piece of thread off your skirt.
- I need some red thread to sew this dress.
- You sew with thread.
- To sew a button on, you need a needle and thread.
- The spider hung by a thread.
- There are threads of wool on your dress.
- A thread of light came through the crack in the door.
- A thread of white smoke climbed up the sky.
- A thread of poetry marked all his writing.
- There is a consistent thread running through all these policies.
- I return to a thread of my story.
- I went shopping and got some threads.
- The child threaded the beads.
- We threaded the forest.
- Please thread me a needle.
- Shall I thread the needle for you?
- hang by a (single) thread
千钧一发,岌岌可危 (of a person's life, etc.) depend on sth small
- lose the thread (of)
失去(议论故事等的)头绪 be unable to follow an argument, story, etc.
- pick〔take〕 up the threads
(谈话等中断后)继续讲下去; (关系等中断后)继续下去 resume one's line of reasoning/way of life after a break
- worn to the/a thread
破烂不堪的 in rags or tatters
- thread into( v.+prep. )
把…穿〔装,插〕入… pass sth into the required position for use; insert sth into sth
thread sth into sth
The little girl helped her grandmother to thread the wool into the needle.
She threaded the film into a projector.
He threaded several causal ideas into a charming essay.
- thread on( v.+prep. )
把…穿在…上 pass (sth such as a thread) on the required position for use
thread sth on sth
How do you thread a needle on this sewing machine?
She was threading pearls on a string to make a necklace.
- thread through( v.+prep. )
小心翼翼地穿过…; 妥善处理… find a way to pass carefully through (sth such as a crowd) or deal satisfactorily with (sth such as a difficulty)
thread through sth
The wire threaded through small loops.
金属丝穿过许多小环。thread sth through sth
This wool is too thick for me to thread it through the eye of this fine needle.
对我来说,这毛线太粗了,我没法把它穿过这么小的针眼。thread through sth
They had to thread through the narrow passages.
We were able to thread but slowly through the intricate reports.
我们弄懂了这些复杂的报告,只是很慢。thread one's way through sth
Threading my way through the crowd,I soon reached the front.
We got there quicker by threading our way through the back streets.
I should be able to thread my way through the difficulties facing me in my new job.
Mr. White threaded his way through the legal entanglements.
- make thread 纺线
- reel thread out 放线
- sew with thread 用线缝纫
- tangle the threads 使线缠结在一起
- wind thread 绕线
- break the thread 打断话头,打断思路
- gather up the threads 把(问题的)各部分联系起来
- hang by a thread 千钧一发,岌岌可危
- lose the thread 抓不住论点,失去头绪
- pick up the threads 接着讲下去
- coarse thread 粗线
- coloured threads 彩色线
- common thread 共同主线
- fine thread 质细的线
- heavy thread 粗线
- tangled threads 缠结在一起的线
- tenuous thread 细线
- thin thread 细线
- cotton thread 纱线
- flax thread 麻线
- gold threads 金线
- nylon thread 尼龙线
- rayon thread 人造丝
- silk thread 丝线
- silver threads 银线
- the threads of a spider web 蛛网丝
- a thread of hope 一线希望
- thread of life 生命线,命脉,生命
- a thread of water 一条细细的流水
- thread a camera 给照相机装上胶卷
- thread a forest 穿过森林
- thread a street 穿过一条街道
- thread beads 把珠子穿成一串
- thread narrow alleys 穿过小巷
From these little Threads..such strong Cables are form'd.出自： R. Welton
Glass may be spun into very long..threads.出自： G. R. Porter
She..began threading a needle.出自： M. Forster
She..threaded the cowslip into my buttonhole.出自： transf.
- thread用作名词的基本意思是“线”,可指用棉、毛、尼龙等制成的“线”,也可指细如线状的东西(如一丝亮光等),此时常用于a thread of结构。
- thread用于比喻还可作“(贯穿故事等各部分的)线索”或“(某人的)思路”解,此时常与lose, pick〔take〕 up等连用。
- thread的基本意思是将一根线穿进针眼中,指在比较狭窄或拥挤的地方穿梭(如在人群中挤过去),即“穿线,穿过”,常与介词into, on, through等连用。
- thread, cord, line, rope, string, wire
- 这组词的共同意思是“绳”“索”。line可以代替其他五个词,也可用来指抽象或借喻性的线; cord指中等粗细的绳子; rope指较粗、较结实的绳子; thread指用棉花、丝料制成用来做衣服的细线; string指细绳; wire指金属丝、铁丝,也可指电线。
- thready adj. 线的; 线做的; 线状的,丝状的;(人的脉搏)微弱的,微细的