- [C] [U] 风,气流 air moving as a result of natural forces
- [U] 气味 smell carried by the wind
- [U] 呼吸 breath
- [U] 空话 useless and boastful talk
- [S] 管乐器 wind instruments in an orchestra
- vt. 使喘不过气来,让…喘喘气 cause to be breathless; give sth time to breathe
- vt. 嗅出 smell the presence of sth
- vt. 卷上; 转动 turn; make (a machine) go by turning some part of it
- vt. & vi. 蜿蜒前进,弯曲 go or move in a circular way
- air moving (sometimes with considerable force) from an area of high pressure to an area of low pressure;
"trees bent under the fierce winds"
"when there is no wind, row"
"the radioactivity was being swept upwards by the air current and out into the atmosphere"
- a tendency or force that influences events;
"the winds of change"
"the collision knocked the wind out of him"
- empty rhetoric or insincere or exaggerated talk;
"that's a lot of wind"
"don't give me any of that jazz"
- an indication of potential opportunity;
"he got a tip on the stock market"
"a good lead for a job"
- a musical instrument in which the sound is produced by an enclosed column of air that is moved by the breath
- a reflex that expels intestinal gas through the anus
- the act of winding or twisting;
"he put the key in the old clock and gave it a good wind"
- to move or cause to move in a sinuous, spiral, or circular course;
"the river winds through the hills"
"the path meanders through the vineyards"
"sometimes, the gout wanders through the entire body"
- extend in curves and turns;
"The road winds around the lake"
"the path twisted through the forest"
- arrange or or coil around;
"roll your hair around your finger"
"Twine the thread around the spool"
"She wrapped her arms around the child"
- catch the scent of; get wind of;
"The dog nosed out the drugs"
- coil the spring of (some mechanical device) by turning a stem;
"wind your watch"
- form into a wreath
- raise or haul up with or as if with mechanical help;
"hoist the bicycle onto the roof of the car"
- A gust of wind blew my hat off.
- The higher the tree, the stronger the wind.
- The day was very still, without a breath of wind.
- I can't eat beans--they give me wind.
- I need time to get my wind back after that run.
- The deer got the wind of the hunters.
- The wind played beautifully.
- Give the handle another couple of winds.
- He was momentarily winded by the blow to his stomach.
- Please wind the horn.
- The river winds to the sea.
- She asked me to wind the wool for her.
- Did you wind your watch this morning ?
- It was one of those old-fashioned gramophones that winds up.
- He wound the tape back to the beginning.
- You have to wind a handle at the side of your telephone.
The wind drove into my face.
The wind and rain were beating against us.
The wind has died away again.
The wind had banked the snow up against the wall.
The wind began to build and the sleet to blow about.
The wind drifted the leaves across our yard.
The machine is exposed to the wind and rain.
The rain was accompanied by a high wind.
A light wind disturbed the surface of the water.
There were strong winds last night.
These young men are advancing against the winds and waves.
The deer got wind of the hunter and ran off.
If the deer catches wind of us, he'll ran into the woods.
He pumped some wind into the tyre.
The blow knocked the wind out of him.
I had to stop and regain my wind before I could carry on.
It took him a while to get his wind after running so fast.
Small babies often get wind.
You get wind when you eat too quickly.
Cabbage gives me wind.
The wind is/are playing too loud.
It's an ill wind that blows nobody good.
Sow the wind and reap the whirlwind.
He hit her in the stomach and winded her.
The run winded him.
The hounds winded the fox.
We stopped to wind our horses.
He was quite winded by the long climb.
That board will wind.
The road winds.
This clock winds easily.
She wound the child in her arms.
Susan is winding the wool.
He is winding his watch.
You must wind this clock once a week.
He wound the handle.
The river winds the valley.
The man's arm was wound with bandages.
The alarm clock was wound.
- get wind of
得到风声; 获得线索 get to know of indirectly or secretly
The police got wind of the intended burglary, and so surprised the thieves as they were entering the premises. 警察得到行窃的风声,所以当盗贼进入房屋时将他们突然捕获。
How could he have got wind of our plans? 他怎么可能听到我们计划的风声呢?
The police have got wind of a robbery planned for tonight. 警方获悉有关计划在今夜抢劫的消息。
- 得到风声; 获得线索 get to know of indirectly or secretly
- get〔put〕 the wind up
〈俚〉使受惊吓; 担惊受怕 become anxious〔frightened〕
My wife gets the wind up whenever she has to go to the dentist. 每当我妻子去治牙时,她总是担惊受怕。
Two men blocking the path put the wind up her. 两个人堵住路使她担惊受怕。
These new police tactics have really put the wind up the local drug dealers. 警方的这些新策略真正使当地的毒品贩子感到害怕。
- 〈俚〉使受惊吓; 担惊受怕 become anxious〔frightened〕
- in the teeth of the wind
〈海〉逆风 with the wind against one
The sailing boat could make little progress in the teeth of the mind. 帆船顶风几乎不能前进。
The ship was making her way slowly right in the teeth of the wind. 这艘船正顶着风缓慢前进。
- 〈海〉逆风 with the wind against one
- in the wind
(秘密地)在进行 being planned (secretly)
A trip to India may be in the wind. 可能即将到印度旅行。
John's close friends knew that marriage was in the wind. 约翰的好朋友都知道他即将结婚。
- (秘密地)在进行 being planned (secretly)
- like the wind
迅速地 very quickly
The horse ran like the wind along the top of the ridge. 那匹马沿着山脊飞跑着。
The horse galloped away like the wind. 那匹马疾驰而去。
- 迅速地 very quickly
- on the wind
逆风,顶风 against the wind
They sailed just on the wind then. 当时他们正在逆风航行。
The boat is sailing on the wind. 船正顶风航行。
The plane must face on the wind before you take off. 飞机正顶风起飞。
- 逆风,顶风 against the wind
- see how〔which〕 way the wind blows
了解事情的动向 postpone a decision until one has more information
I'd like to see which way the wind blows before deciding whether to accept their offer. 我想先看看情况再决定是否接受他们的提议。
- 了解事情的动向 postpone a decision until one has more information
- sound in wind and limb
The horse was sound in wind and limb. 这匹马十分健壮。
The doctor reckoned that anyone who could climb all this stairs for his interview was sound enough in wind and limb to be passed fit. 医生推断,谁能登上这么多梯级来见他,谁的健康就合格。
- 身体健康的 healthy
- take the wind out of sb's sails
使某人狼狈,挫败某人的计划 take away sb's advantage〔confidence〕
His statement took a great deal of the wind out of her sails. 他的陈述使她大为泄气。
James was going to tell us all about his trip to Hong Kong but we took the wind out of his sails by telling him we had been there a few months ago. 詹姆斯打算给我们大家讲述他的香港之行,但我们告诉他数月前我们去过那里,这使他很狼狈。
- 使某人狼狈,挫败某人的计划 take away sb's advantage〔confidence〕
- wind along1( v.+adv. )
蜿蜒向前 go forward in a twisting direction wind along
The river wound along.这条河蜿蜒流动。
The whole caravan was winding along once more.整个车队又蜿蜒前进了。
- 蜿蜒向前 go forward in a twisting direction wind along
- wind along2( v.+prep. )
沿…蜿蜒向前 go along sth in a twisting direction wind along sth
The road winds along the lake.那条公路沿湖蜿蜒向前。
- 沿…蜿蜒向前 go along sth in a twisting direction wind along sth
- wind around〔round〕( v.+prep. )
(把…)缠绕,卷绕在…上 fasten sth or itself around sth by turning several times; surround sth by turning wind around〔round〕 sth
The vine winds round a pole.藤蔓缠绕在柱子上。
The highway winds around the mountain.公路盘山而上。wind sth around〔round〕 sth
I wet the clothes and wound them around my neck.我把衣服弄湿绕在脖子上。
He wound a heavy scarf around his neck.他脖子上围着一条厚厚的围巾。
Wind the wire around the post.把铁丝绕在那根柱子上。
She wound a bandage round my wounded arm.她在我受伤的手臂上包扎绷带。
任意摆布某人 control sb easily wind sb around〔round〕 one's finger
Jim worships his daughter and will do anything she wants; she can wind him round her little finger.吉姆十分钟爱他的女儿,对她有求必应,她可以随意支使他。
- (把…)缠绕,卷绕在…上 fasten sth or itself around sth by turning several times; surround sth by turning wind around〔round〕 sth
- wind back( v.+adv. )
倒片 turn a film back to an earlier part; rewind wind back
Wait a minute, it won't take me long to wind back to the beginning, and then I can put the film away.等一下,我不用花很多时间倒带,然后就可以放出来了。wind sth ⇔ back
Would you please wind the film back to the part where the child comes in?I'd like to see that again.你能把影片倒回到那个孩子进来的那段吗?我想再看一遍。
This section doesn't see right.你能把片子倒回几个镜头吗?这一部分看起来不对。
This song is my favourite.Let's wind back the tape and listen to it again.这首歌是我最爱听的,咱们把带子倒回去,再听一遍。
- 倒片 turn a film back to an earlier part; rewind wind back
- wind down( v.+adv. )
摇手柄降下 lower sth by turning a handle; be able to be lowered with a handle wind down
The windows don't wind down very easily.这些窗户不那么容易摇下来。wind sth ⇔ down
I had to wind the car window down to listen to what she was saying.我只得把车窗摇下来,听听她在说些什么。
He wound down the window of his car to get some fresh air.他摇开车窗以便呼吸点新鲜空气。
发条松了 run more and more slowly until it stops wind down
My watch had been winding down, and I didn't know it was slow, that's why I'm late.我的手表发条已松,而我却不知道表慢了,故此迟到。
It's a one-day clock; the spring winds down in 24 hours.这是一天上一次弦的钟,发条走二十四小时就松了。
My watch wound down and stopped.我的表发条已松了,停下来了。
工作或兴奋之后放松下来 rest until calmer, after work or excitement wind down
We went to the local club to wind down.我们到当地俱乐部去放松一下。
Television is very useful for winding down before going to bed.要想睡前放松一下,看看电视是极为有用的。
The football crowd don't wind down after a good game until they're nearly arriving at home.一场激动人心的足球赛过后,观众们通常快到家时才能平静下来。
使(逐渐)停止; 缓慢下来; 松懈下来 be no longer in operation, especially gradually; come to a gradual rest to pause wind down
A month after the plane crash, rescue work wound down, and the still missing passengers were believed dead.飞机失事后一个月,营救工作开始收尾,人们相信失踪的乘客已经死亡。
The proceedings began to wind down.进程开始缓慢下来了。
I felt tense, but now I'm beginning to wind down.我本来感到紧张,可是现在开始放松了。
The enemy offensive wound down at last.敌人进攻的势头终于缓和下来了。
At school, things start winding down a few weeks before the summer holidays begin.在学校,离放暑假还有几个星期,工作的步调就慢下来了。wind sth ⇔ down
The company is winding down its business in Hong Kong.该公司正逐步减少在香港的业务。
- 摇手柄降下 lower sth by turning a handle; be able to be lowered with a handle wind down
- wind in( v.+adv. )
把…缠绕起来 gather sth such as a line by turning it, as round a wheel wind sth ⇔ in
Wind your line in very carefully or the fish might get away.缠绕鱼线时要格外小心,要不鱼可能会逃走。
- 把…缠绕起来 gather sth such as a line by turning it, as round a wheel wind sth ⇔ in
- wind into( v.+prep. )
- 包裹成,缠绕,卷成 wrap, twist, or roll sth into a shape, usually roundWould you help me to wind this wool into a ball?你帮我把这毛线缠成球好吗?
逐渐讨某人喜欢 make sb gradually become fond of one, often for a purposeShe wound herself into his affections.她用巧妙的手段赢得他的感情。
I suppose she got that money from your father by winding her way into his affections over the years. 我想她是靠这么多年讨你父亲欢心才从他手里弄得那笔钱的。
- wind off( v.+adv. )
旋转以松开或解下 remove sth by turning it round and round wind sth ⇔ off
It may take some time to wind off all the thread.也许得花些时间才能把所有这些线放开。
She wound off the silk from the ball.她从线团上解下丝线来。
The electrician wound the wires off.电工把电线卷起解下来。
- 旋转以松开或解下 remove sth by turning it round and round wind sth ⇔ off
- wind on( v.+adv. )
通过缠绕把…固定在支架或杆子等物上 fix sth onto a holder or pole by turning or twisting it wind sth ⇔ on
There are special hooks at the sides of the frame for winding the wool on.在架子的两侧备有专用的钩子缠绕毛线。
How long will it take you to wind on a further 100 metres of line?再缠100米的线你要用多长时间?
把(电影胶片)快进到后面某处 move film to a later point wind on
Please wait while I wind on to the end.请等着,我把胶片快进到结尾处。wind sth ⇔ on
Let's not see this uninteresting part,I'll wind the film on to the exciting bit near the end.咱们别看这个索然无味的部分吧,我来把胶片快进到接近尾声的精彩之处。
- 通过缠绕把…固定在支架或杆子等物上 fix sth onto a holder or pole by turning or twisting it wind sth ⇔ on
- wind through( v.+prep. )
- 〔说明〕 wind through通常不用于进行体。
弯弯曲曲地通过 pass through a place in a twisting direction wind through sth
The river winds through the high mountains.这条河在崇山峻岭中蜿蜒流过。
The procession wound through the town.那一列人马迂回穿过该镇。
The path winds through the forest for quite a long way.这条悠长的小路蜿蜒曲折,从森林中穿过。
(使)贯穿其中 (cause to) be introduced throughout sth such as writing wind through sth
A thread of sorrow winds through her poetry.她的诗文流露出一缕忧思。wind sth through sth
He has wound his opinions through each of his statements.他的观点贯穿于他的每一篇声明中。
- wind up( v.+adv. )
用手柄升起 raise sth by turning a handle; be able to be raised by turning a handle wind up
The car windows don't wind up very quickly.这车窗不能快速地摇上来。wind sth ⇔ up
Would you please wind the car windows up?It's cold.你把车窗摇起来好吗?天气很冷。
The miners wound up ore from a mine.矿工们用绞车从矿坑中吊出矿石。
上紧发条 tighten the spring of clockwork, usually by turning a key wind sth ⇔ up
I forgot to wind my watch up, so of course it stopped.我忘记了给表上弦,表自然停了。
If you wind up the key at the back of the toy bear, it will sing a song for you.如果你转动这个玩具熊后边的钥匙,它会为你唱支歌。
把…绕成团; 盘旋 roll sth such as a line into a ball wind up
An old path wound up through the hills.一条古老的小路在山间盘绕穿过。wind sth ⇔ up
Sailors know how to wind up a long rope neatly.水手们知道怎样把一条大绳利落地缠好。
She wound up wool into a ball.她把毛线卷绕成球。
使…结束 bring sth to an orderly end; end sth wind sth ⇔ up
The lawyers are still winding up your father's business.那些律师仍在清理你父亲的店铺。
The chairman wound up the three-day conference with a closing speech.大会主席的闭幕词宣告为期三天的会议结束。
I hope to be able to wind up my affairs without too much trouble before leaving the country.我希望在离开这个国家之前,能够比较顺利地理清我的事务。
Can you think of a good joke I can use to wind up my speech?你能想出一个我可以用来结束讲话的精彩笑话吗?
加入或卷进 cause sb to take part in or be very concerned with sth or doing sth wind sth ⇔ up 用于 be ～ed 结构
He got so wound up the play that his family hardly saw him.他一心扑在这出戏上,家里的人几乎见不到他了。
最后成为 finish by becoming sth〔说明〕 wind up作此解时通常不用于进行体。 wind up as sb
The general began his army life as a Private Soldier and wound up as ruler of his country.这位将军从当二等兵起就开始了他的戎马生涯,最后当了那个国家的统治者。wind sb ⇔ up
In spite of people's opinions, she wound up the winner.尽管人们对她议论纷纷,她最终还是成了胜利者。
以…而结束 finish by doing sth〔说明〕 wind up作此解时通常不用于进行体。 wind up v-ing
I never dreamed that I would wind up owning such a lot of property!我做梦也没有想到后来会拥有这么一笔财产!
Mark my words, he'll wind up running the company.记住我的话吧,他最终会掌握公司大权的。
到达 arrive at or in a place, especially after time or events wind up
With Jim driving, you never know where you're going to wind up.要是吉姆开车的话,你永远甭想知道车会开到什么鬼地方去。
The traveller took the wrong train and wound up at a country village.这位旅行者乘错了火车,来到一个小村庄。
The boy's ball wound up on the garage roof.那个小男孩的球最后飞到了车库的房顶上。
(使)落到…的结局 cause to reach an unfavourable end wind up
The business might wind up in failure unless more care is taken with the accounts.除非在账目上加强管理,否则公司将会破产。
Don't get involved with the gang of hooligans, unless you want to wind up in jail.如果你不想进监狱,就别和那些流氓团伙鬼混。
I know she would wind up in hospital, she never cared about her health.我早知道她会进医院,她从不注意自己的身体。wind sb ⇔ up
Stop spending so fast, or goodness knows where you'll wind us up.别挥霍无度,不然,天晓得你会使我们落到什么境地!
最后得到某物 receive sth in the end〔说明〕 wind up作此解时通常不用于进行体。 wind up
After much effort the writer wound up with a contract.经过一番努力之后,那位作家终于签了一份合同。
Jim entered the competition without much hope, not thinking he would wind up with first prize!吉姆参加这场比赛时没抱多大的希望,没想到会拿到一等奖!
使激动起来 cause sb to become excited wind sb ⇔ up
This man is specially employed to wind up the crowd ready to be influenced by our speaker.这个人是专门雇来调动听众情绪的,以使他们易于受到我们的演讲者的影响。用于 be ～ed 结构
Don't get so wound up, there's nothing to get excited or nervous about!别那么激动,没有什么值得激动或紧张的!
〈非正〉逗弄,愚弄 annoy or deceive (sb) playfully wind sb ⇔ up
Don't take any notice—she's just trying to wind you up.别在意,她只是在逗弄你。
- 用手柄升起 raise sth by turning a handle; be able to be raised by turning a handle wind up
- advance against the winds 迎着风浪前进
- brave a wind 冒风,顶风
- break wind 放屁,排气
- break the wind 挡风
- catch one's second wind 喘过气来
- check winds 防风
- face a wind 迎风,顶风
- flutter in the wind 迎风飘扬
- gain the wind of 占…的上风,对…占优势地位,得到…的线索
- get wind of sth 得到某事的风声,获得某事的线索〔消息〕
- get back one's wind 停下来,喘口气
- get one's second wind 喘气后恢复正常
- go against the wind 逆风走
- go like the wind 飞驰
- have the wind of 占…的上风,对…占优势,得到…的线索
- have the wind up 受惊吓,担心,害怕
- head wind 逆风
- lose one's wind 喘气
- recover one's wind 停下来,喘口气
- sail against the wind 顶风航行,在困难情况下工作
- sail before the wind 顺风航行,获得成功,发迹
- sail close to the wind 迎风航行,几乎犯法,行动几乎失控
- sail near the wind 迎风航行,几乎犯法,行动几乎失控
- stand a wind 经得起风吹
- stop the wind 把风挡住
- take wind 被谣传
- take the wind out of sb's sails 先发制人以占上风,突然夺去某人的优势
- big wind 大风
- bitter wind 刺骨的寒风
- cold wind 冷风
- constant wind 稳定的风
- contrary wind 逆风
- fair wind 顺风
- favourable wind 顺风
- free wind 顺风
- gentle wind 和风
- hard wind 大风,强风
- heavy wind 大风,强风
- high wind 大风,强风
- icy wind 寒风
- ill wind 恶风
- light wind 微风,小风
- low wind 低沉的风
- severe wind 猛烈的风
- sharp wind 暴风,疾风
- slight wind 微风,小风
- small wind 小风,微风
- soft wind 柔和的风,温和的风
- strong wind 大风,强风
- the east wind 东风
- the north wind 北风
- unfavourable wind 逆风
- warm wind 温暖的风
- against the wind 逆风,顶着风
- before the wind 顺风
- run before the wind 顺风行驶
- by the wind 顺风
- down the wind 顺风
- in the wind 正在发生的,秘密进行的
- a breath of wind 一丝风
- out of wind 上气不接下气
- with the wind 顺风
- wind incessantly 不停地流过
- wind intricately 错综复杂地弯曲
- wind monotonously 乏味地转动
- wind slowly 慢慢地流过
- wind back 倒回
- wind the film back 把影片倒回
- wind down 转动以使…下降,发条已松了,使停止
- wind down the window 把窗摇下来
- wind in 把…缠绕起来
- wind in the line 收线
- wind off 卷开,解开,放开
- wind up 转动以提升,卷绕,上发条,结束
- wind up one's talk 结束谈话
- wind up the car window 把车窗摇上去
I set up my sail, the wind being fair.出自：Swift
I wanted..to have the wind and the rain in my face.出自：J. Braine
The wind from the ocean blew hard, sending sprays of salt water to the shore.出自：B. Okri
The lowing herd wind slowly o'er the lea.出自：T. Gray
Glad I wind me down the lane.出自：J. Clare
He wound through the..pedestrians, kept his eyes on his route.出自：L. Grant
Ansell had crashed down with such force that he was winded.出自：B. England
The climb up the stairs winded him.出自：J. Cheever
- wind的基本意思是“风,气流”,指由于空气的自然流动而产生的现象,风速可大可小,风力可强可弱,可以是强劲的,也可以是柔和的,既可用作不可数名词,又可用作可数名词,常与定冠词the连用。指风的种类或方向时, wind可与不定冠词a连用或用其复数形式; 指风的强度时常与much, little等词连用; 泛指风时是不可数名词,其前不加冠词或定语。
- wind用作动词的意思是“使喘不过气来,让…喘喘气”“嗅出”,此时其读音为 ［wInd］ ,过去式和过去分词是winded ［'wIndId］ 。
- wind的基本意思是“卷曲,缠绕”,指在轴或像轴一样的东西上转动、环绕或将其粘住。引申可指通过环绕而紧固、拉紧、抬起,也可指“上紧发条”“绕…蜿蜒前进; 使(船)转向或掉头”“变弯曲”等。
- wind后接副词back表示“倒片”; 后接副词down表示“转动以〔使〕…下降,发条已松了,使停止”; 后接副词in表示“把…缠绕起来”; 后接副词off表示“卷开,解开,放开”; 后接副词on表示“通过缠绕把…固定在支架或杆子等物上”; 后接副词up表示“转动以提升,卷绕”“上发条”“结束”。
- in the wind, on the wind
两者意思并不相同:in the wind的意思是“在策划中”“在酝酿中”或“凭空”,往往用作比喻义; 而on the wind的意思是“顶着风”,多半用作本义,相当于against the wind。
- wind, blast, breeze, gale
这组词都有“风”的意思。其区别在于:1.wind是一个笼统的词,是泛指由于空气的自然流动而产生的风,风速可快可慢,风力可大可小,可以指强劲的,也可以指柔和的; blast是一股强劲的气流,不一定是自然产生的,风速较大,强劲而突然,指“狂风”或“暴风”; breeze指“轻风”“微风”“温和的微风”; gale指7级到11级的烈风、强风。例如:The dentist gave my tooth a blast to dry the filling.牙医朝我的牙吹风使补牙材料干结。A gust of wind billowed the sleeves and skirts of women's dresses.一股劲风把妇女们的衣袖和裙子吹得像波浪一样翻动。The banner fluttered in the breeze.旗帜在微风中飘扬。We got our roof blown off in the gale last night.昨夜的大风把我们的房顶给掀掉了。2.用spring breeze指“春风”比用wind更为确切。例如:The soft spring breeze caressed my face and I felt refreshed.柔和的春风吹拂着我的脸,使我觉得神清气爽。
- wind, coil, curl, entwine, twine, twist
这组词都可表示“绕或弯曲前进”。其区别在于:wind指在轴或像轴一样的东西上转动、环绕或将其粘住,引申可指通过环绕而紧固、拉紧、抬起,也指逶迤前进; coil指弯曲以形成螺旋状; curl指天然地形成或人工地使头发形成大卷或小卷,引申指形成卷或圈的东西; entwine常指扭在一起,有交织、交错、缠住的意思,有时仅指绕; twine原指将长丝绕成线或纱锭,现在只强调将一灵活的东西绕在另一物上; twist则指两股长丝相互缠绕,形成线或纱锭,引申指这样或那样地转,或突然地转,或扭转,或歪转。例如:A snake can coil itself up or coil around a branch.蛇会自己盘成一圈也能盘绕在树枝上。The hairdresser curled Mary's hair.理发师给玛丽做头发。The plant had entwined itself round the branches of the tree.那棵植物盘绕在树枝上。The road twisted like a sheep's gut around the mountains.这条路是蜿蜒曲折的羊肠小道。You make a rope by twining strings together.用线可以捻绳。
- wind:wind n. 风v. 绕, 缠, 上发条, 旋紧 英英解释:名词wind:1. air moving (sometimes with considerable force) from an area…