- 故意少给，给的不足 ，短斤少两
- 卖空（股票）， 售卖借来的股票（证券用语）
- 短的; 简短的,短暂的 measuring little from one end to the other; not last long; brief
- [A] 短期的,即将兑现的 maturing at an early date
- 矮的,低的 below the average height
- [P] 简称的,简略形式的 a shorter form of, way of saying
- 短缺的,未达标的 not reaching the usual standard or required weight, length, quality, etc.
- [P] 不够; 缺乏,缺少 not having much or enough of sth; lacking sth or a certain quality
- 简单粗暴的,唐突无礼的 curt; abrupt
- 短音的 pronounced for a relatively brief time
- 少而浓的,烈性的 small and strong; made with spirits
- 油酥的 rich and crumbly as a result of containing much fat
- 突然,唐突地 suddenly; abruptly
- [C] 短路 short circuit
- [C] 短片 short film, especially one shown before the main film at a cinema
- [P] 烈酒 small strong alcoholic drink, especially of spirits
- [P] 短裤 short trousers that do not reach the knee, e.g. as worn by children, or by adults playing sports or in hot weather
- the location on a baseball field where the shortstop is stationed
- accidental contact between two points in an electric circuit that have a potential difference
- the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed between second and third base
- primarily temporal sense; indicating or being or seeming to be limited in duration;
"a short life"
"a short flight"
"a short holiday"
"a short story"
"only a few short months"
- (primarily spatial sense) having little length or lacking in length;
"the board was a foot short"
"a short toss"
- low in stature; not tall;
"he was short and stocky"
"short in stature"
"a short smokestack"
"a little man"
- not sufficient to meet a need;
"an inadequate income"
"a poor salary"
"money is short"
"on short rations"
"food is in short supply"
"short on experience"
- (of memory) deficient in retentiveness or range;
"a short memory"
- not holding securities or commodities that one sells in expectation of a fall in prices;
"a short sale"
"short in cotton"
- of speech sounds or syllables of relatively short duration;
"the English vowel sounds in `pat', `pet', `pit', `pot', putt' are short"
- less than the correct or legal or full amount often deliberately so;
"a light pound"
"a scant cup of sugar"
"regularly gives short weight"
- lacking foresight or scope;
"a short view of the problem"
"shortsighted critics derided the plan"
- tending to crumble or break into flakes due to a large amount of shortening;
"shortbread is a short crumbly cookie"
"a short flaky pie crust"
- marked by rude or peremptory shortness;
"try to cultivate a less brusque manner"
"a curt reply"
"the salesgirl was very short with him"
- quickly and without warning;
"he stopped suddenly"
- without possessing something at the time it is contractually sold;
"he made his fortune by selling short just before the crash"
- clean across;
"the car's axle snapped short"
- at some point or distance before a goal is reached;
"he fell short of our expectations"
- so as to interrupt;
"She took him up short before he could continue"
- at a disadvantage;
"I was caught short"
- in a curt, abrupt and discourteous manner;
"he told me curtly to get on with it"
"he talked short with everyone"
"he said shortly that he didn't like it"
- cheat someone by not returning him enough money
- create a short circuit in
- You've cut my hair very short.
- In contrast with his brothers, Tom is rather short.
- Let's take a short break for lunch.
- These goods are in short supply; the price will be high.
- The usual word "pub" is short for "public house".
- He was short with me this morning.
- Compare the short vowel in 'full' and the long vowel in 'fool'.
比较 full 中的短元音和 fool 中的长元音。
- The children mustn't go short of food.
- All too often you pitch the ball short.
- His achievements had fallen short of his hopes.
- Excuse me, but I'll have to cut you short.
- Her singing career was cut short by a car accident.
It will be a saving to take a short cut.
His doctor suggested that he take a short leave of absence.
I never knew who could do so much in such a short time.
She managed to pack a lot of sightseeing into the short period of time she had in London.
She worked the whole day with only a short interval at noon.
He has a long trunk with short legs.
Short hair is cool in summer.
A straight line is the shortest distance between two points.
She likes to cast her ideas in short sentences.
He drew up a long list of good short stories.
He gave her a short answer.
Tell them they must make the food last.We'll all be on short commons if the supply ship doesn't get through on time.
The soldiers complained that they got short rations.
I rarely have short drinks.
There is a short vowel in “pull”.
Our group is two people short.
This packet is supposed to contain ten screws, but it's two short.
The missile landed ten miles short.
We should go on to the next item for time is short.
The little boy's attention span was short.
Jack is shorter than Tom by a head.
His speeches are boring but they have the saving grace of being short.
NATO is short for North Atlantic Treaty Organization.NATO
This room is too short in relation to its width.
He is short on knowledge.
He's a nice lad but he's a bit short on brains.
The book is rather short on illustrations, but has some useful information.
The tired salesman was short with the customers.
You've cut my hair very short.
The shells fell short.
The arrow landed short.
This accident is due to an electrical short.
There are a couple of shorts on before the main film.
These shorts are too tight for me.
The only time Dad shows his knees is on holiday, when he wears shorts instead of his long trousers.
- at short notice
立即,仓促 with little warning
We are ready to start at short notice. 我们已准备好,一接到通知马上就出发。
They had to leave at short notice. 他们接到通知后得马上动身。
- 立即,仓促 with little warning
- be little short of
几乎和…相同; 简直是 nearly the same as
The way he runs his business is little short of criminal. 他做生意的方式与犯罪无异。
Their success is little short of a marvel. 他们的成功简直是不可思议。
When my children say they will leave me in peace if I let them go to the pictures, it is little short of extortion. 我的孩子们说,除非我让他们去看电影,否则不让我安宁,这和敲诈勒索没什么两样。
- 几乎和…相同; 简直是 nearly the same as
- come short of
- 缺少,不足 have not enough ofMy money came short of the necessary sum.我的钱不足所需的数目。
- 失望 miss; be less than what is expectedHe came short of our expectation.他令我们失望。
- fall short (of)
没有达到标准,不够,不足 fail to reach a required, or a specified standard
Our supplies have fallen short. 我们的日常用品短缺。
The movie fell short of expectation. 影片没有人们想象中的好。
The salary increases fell short of what they expected. 工资增加没有他们期待的那样多。
- 没有达到标准,不够,不足 fail to reach a required, or a specified standard
- give short shrift
对…不太理睬,漠不关心 devote little time to sb give sb/sth short shrift
He came to me with some crazy plan, but I gave it very short shrift.他找我谈某个莫名其妙的计划,可是,我对此采取十分冷淡的态度。
Gerald tried to borrow another ten pounds from me, but I give him very short shrift.杰拉尔德想再向我借10英镑,但我却对他漠不关心。
- 对…不太理睬,漠不关心 devote little time to sb give sb/sth short shrift
- go short (of)
缺乏,不够 have less of sth than one should
If you take more than your fair share, someone else will have to go short. 假如你拿了比你应得的一份还多,别的人就不够了。
In those days we often went short of food and clothing. 那时候我们经常缺吃少穿。
The field near the reservoir can hardly go short of water. 水库附近的土地不大会缺水。
He never allowed his wife to go short of anything she wanted. 他从不会让他妻子缺少任何她想要的东西。
- 缺乏,不够 have less of sth than one should
- in a short time
〈非正〉过了一阵子 after a short time
They fell in love with each other at first sight and in a short time were married. 他们一见钟情,过了一阵子就结婚了。
- 〈非正〉过了一阵子 after a short time
- in short supply
Food is in short supply. 食物供应不足。
Petrol is in desperately short supply. 汽油极度缺乏。
Potatoes are in short supply because of the bad harvest. 土豆因歉收而供应不足。
- 供不应求 scare
- make short work of
快速完成; 迅速处理 complete〔conclude〕 quickly
The hungry children make short work of the jam pie. 饥饿的孩子们很快把果酱馅饼吃完了。
If the enemy dares to attack us in these entrenched positions, we will make short work of them. 如果敌人胆敢进攻我们固守的阵地,我们就消灭他们。
- 快速完成; 迅速处理 complete〔conclude〕 quickly
- nothing short of
完全相同 the same as
Nothing short of your best work will satisfy me. 几乎是你最好的工作才能使我满意。
I think that the factory farming of calves for veal is nothing short of murder. 我以为工厂化养牛以作食用同谋杀没什么两样。
- 完全相同 the same as
- run short (of)
短缺,数量不足 not have enough of
At the end of the fiscal year they ran short of money. 在本会计年度末他们缺乏资金。
The world is gradually running short of oil. 世界正在逐渐出现石油短缺。
Bob asked Jack to lend him five dollars because he was running short. 鲍勃向杰克借五美元,因为他钱不够。
There is a good supply of books in the cupboard, so we are unlikely to run short. 书橱里有许多书,所以我们不大可能缺书看。
- 短缺,数量不足 not have enough of
- short and sweet
〈口〉简单明了 brief and to the point
We're in a hurry, so make it short and sweet. 我们很急,请简单扼要地说。
I asked the boss for a rise and his reply was predictably short and sweet! 我要求老板增加我的工资,他的回答如意料的一样,简单明了!
- 〈口〉简单明了 brief and to the point
- short change
故意少给其找零头 give sb insufficient change
John made a big stink about being accidentally short changed. 售货员无意中少找了钱,约翰就大叫大嚷起来。
Be careful in that shop—they have a habit of short changing. 小心那家商店——他们总是会少给你找头。
- 故意少给其找零头 give sb insufficient change
- short head
少量; 短距离 small amount; small distance
I contacted the council as soon as I heard the land was for sale, but my neighbour beat me by a short head and got his bid in first. 我听说这块地要出售就与委员会联系,但我的邻居比我快了一步,抢先买去了。
- 少量; 短距离 small amount; small distance
- short of
缺少 lack of sb/sthIn the beginning, we were short of funds, and at one time, the manpower was not enough .开始我们资金不足,同时,人手也不足。
When we found out that the company was short of hands for the building of the reservoir, we all went there to help out. 我们得知公司在建造水库方面缺少人手后,都跑去支援。
不远,差一点 without going as far as, or not as far asHe counted out his money, but found he was short of the amount he needed to buy the book by two yuan .他数了数手头的钱,发现还差两元钱才能买那本书。
We walked just short of a hundred li . 我们差一点就走满一百里路。
The car broke down when we were still ten miles short of our destination. 当我们离目的地还有10英里时,汽车抛锚了。
除了…之外 exceptHe will do anything short of murder to achieve his ends.为了达到目的,他除了凶杀什么都会干。
I will do anything to get some money—short of stealing it. 我只要能多挣些钱干什么都愿意,只要不是去偷。
- 缺少 lack of sb/sthIn the beginning, we were short of funds, and at one time, the manpower was not enough .开始我们资金不足,同时,人手也不足。
- short of breath
I must lose some weight—I get short of breath just walking up the stairs. 我必须减肥,我一上楼就上气不接下气。
- 喘不过气来 breathless
- short weight
比…重量要轻 less than the proper weight
The butcher has given us short weight again . 那卖肉的又少给了我们。
The coal doesn't seem to last as long as it used to; I wonder if we're getting short weight. 看起来这堆煤烧不了如以往那么长时间,我怀疑可能是这堆煤的分量不足。
- 比…重量要轻 less than the proper weight
- stop short of
不再,停止 not go as far as
She wouldn't stop short of stealing if she thought it would help her children. 如果她认为偷窃有助于抚养她的孩子的话,她是不会不干的。
We will never stop short of the goal. 不达目的,绝不罢休。
- 不再,停止 not go as far as
- to cut a long story short
简言之 recount sth briefly
To cut a long story short, he lost the race. 简单地说,他跑输了。
I forgot to send for a new cheque book,I've lost my cash card, and—well, to cut a long story short, can you lend me ten pounds until Monday? 我忘了写信索取我的新支票簿,我又丢了信用卡,而且——长话短说吧,你是否能借我10英镑,我星期一还你?
- 简言之 recount sth briefly
- bring〔pull〕 up short
使…忽然停止干某事 make sb/sth suddenly what one is doing bring〔pull〕 sb/sth up short (by v-ing)
Ann was strolling along aimlessly when I brought her up short by calling her name from the other side of the street.安正在街上漫无目标地闲逛,我从街对面叫她,她便停了下来。
He brought the bus up short when the light changed to red.红色交通灯一亮,他突然把公交车停住。
The driver pulled the car up short just in time to prevent an accident.司机及时地突然刹车,避免了一场事故。
- 使…忽然停止干某事 make sb/sth suddenly what one is doing bring〔pull〕 sb/sth up short (by v-ing)
- cut short
突然停止 stop suddenly cut sb/sth short
I cut him short in the middle of his explanation.他解释了一半我就把他的话打断了。
The meeting was cut short when the chairman fell ill.主席一生病,会议就中断了。
- 突然停止 stop suddenly cut sb/sth short
- stop short
突然停止 stop suddenly stop short
Uncle Tom stopped short and looked at me.汤姆叔叔突然停了下来,看了看我。
The professor opened his mouth to say something; but he stopped short.教授开口说话,但又突然停止了。
He stopped short when he heard his name called.他听到有人叫他,就突然停了下来。
The horse stopped short when he heard my voice.那匹马一听见我的声音就突然停了下来。stop sb/sth short
Stopping the car short caused a pileup on the highway.这辆汽车突然刹车使公路上的汽车排成长龙。
- 突然停止 stop suddenly stop short
- for short
简称,缩写 in abbreviated form
His real name was Thomas, but he was called Tom for short. 他真正的名字是托马斯,但人们简称他为汤姆。
Robert, is called Bob for short. 罗伯特,简称鲍勃。
- 简称,缩写 in abbreviated form
- in short
简而言之 stated briefly
In short,I live there. 简而言之,我住在那里。
In short, they gave him no peace day or night. 简而言之,他们使他日夜不得安宁。
Without going into details,I think that the plan is, in short, rubbish. 简言之,我认为这个计划没有具体内容,所以毫无价值。
- 简而言之 stated briefly
- the long and the short of
概要 speaking briefly
The long and the short of what I have said is this. 我所说的归纳起来就是这些。
- 概要 speaking briefly
- short for 是…的缩略
- short in 在…方面短(缺)的
- short in needed material 所需材料短缺
- short in the sleeves 袖子短了些
- short in understanding 缺乏了解
- short of 缺乏,缺少,有一段距离,未达到
- short of breath 呼吸短促
- short of cash 现金短缺
- short of food 食物短缺
- short of funds 资金短缺的
- short of meeting the requirements 满足不了这些要求
- short of men 缺乏人力
- short of one million 不足一百万
- short of ten dollars 差10美元
- short of water 缺水
- short on 缺乏,缺少
- short on housing 住房缺乏
- short on knowledge 知识肤浅
- the long and the short of it 总而言之,这事的概略
The cathedral..is the shortest in England (155 feet long).出自：Jan Morris
I don't like your hair as short as that.出自：C. Priest
When the little one sat down..her legs were..too short to reach the ground.出自：P. Fitzgerald
- a short mile表示“不到一英里”，与词组a short hour，short years等与long的用法相似；
Your attitude is little short of being ridiculous.
- short和表示时间的time, hour(s), year(s)等连用,可表示“不足”“不到”“短暂的”; 修饰动作或声音,可表示“短促的”。
- short作“烈酒”“短裤”解时通常用复数形式。用作主语时谓语动词须用复数形式,“一条短裤”是a pair of shorts。
- run short, run short of
这两个短语都是“快用完”的意思。前者相当于不及物动词,主语一般为物,以主动形式表示被动意义; 后者相当于及物动词,其主语为人或部门, of后接表示时间或钱、物的名词。例如:
- The flour is running short.
- We have run short of flour.
- short, brief
这两个词的共同意思是“短的”。其区别在于:brief着重指时间、言谈、篇幅等“短暂”“简短”; short是普通用词,泛指各种“短”。例如:My acquaintance with him was brief.我与他相识的时间不长。I went on a short trip.我作短暂的旅行。
- short, concise
这两个词都有“简明的”“简短的”意思。其区别在于:concise表示用较少的话准确地表述某事,无赘言; short指简短,但不一定准确,还可用于表示时间短暂、不足等。例如:The article is concise and to the point.这篇文章简明扼要。The mayor gave a short speech.市长发表了简短的讲话。
- short, shortly
- The boss was driven to his wit's end short.
- I shall go on errands to Beijing shortly.
- for short, in short
这两个短语含义不同:in short表示“总之”“简言之”,用于文章、段落、言语等; for short表示“简称”“缩写”,多用于姓名等。
误 The fellow is rather short in height.
正 The fellow is rather short.
析 short本身可表示“身材矮小”,无需加in height。
误 He suffers from an inferiority complex because he's low.
正 He suffers from an inferiority complex because he's short.
误 “Lab” is short of “laboratory”.
正 “Lab” is short for “laboratory”.
析 be short of意为“缺乏…”; 要表达“是…的简写”,应说be short for。
误 They are running shortly of gasoline.
正 They are running short of gasoline.
析 表示“缺少…”“快用完…”可说run short of, run在此为系动词,故不说run shortly of。
误 The supply of oil is running short of.
正 The supply of oil is running short.
误 Our money is running short of.
正 Our money is running short.
析 “(某物)快用完”或“变得不够用”可以用sth run short的结构,这里作主语的是物,不是人。如果用人作主语,则用 sb run short of sth 的结构,作“(某人)缺…”解。
误 The poem is short to learn by heart.
正 The poem is short enough to learn by heart.
误 Our vacation is short to take for a journey.
正 Our vacation is too short to take for a journey.
误 The goods are in a short supply.
正 The goods are in short supply.
误 Difficult to buy china cups, they are in a very short supply.
正 Difficult to buy china cups, they are in very short supply.
析 “(某种商品)供应不足”“不够用”习惯用be in short supply,中间不加任何冠词; 但可以在short前加程度副词very,表示“供应非常不足”。
误 He was very short to me yesterday.
正 He was very short with me yesterday.
误 He was so short to me that I felt hurt.
正 He was so short with me that I felt hurt.
析 “对…无礼或怠慢”,应该说be short with...,其中介词 with不能改用 to。
误 In a short, society must be reorganized.
正 In short, society must be reorganized.
析 in short是习惯用法, short前不加任何冠词。
误 In short word, we must get well prepared.
正 In short, we must get well prepared.
析 “总之”“简言之”用in short表示,这里short是名词,不能再加word。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的scerot；最初源自古典拉丁语的curtus，意为短的。
- short:short n. 简略, 短路, 短裤adj. 短的, 矮的, 不足的, 不够的, (智力等)弱的, 浅薄的, 松脆的, 简短adv. 突然, 缺乏, 不足 英英解释:名词short:1. the l…