- adj. 短的；矮的；短期的；短缺的；简略的；粗暴无礼的；[语]短音的
- adv. 缺少；未达到；半中间(打断)；过早地(终止)
- n. <英口>烈酒；电影短片；[电]短路
- v. (使)短路
- 故意少给，给的不足 ，短斤少两
- 卖空（股票）， 售卖借来的股票（证券用语）
- 短的; 简短的,短暂的 measuring little from one end to the other; not last long; brief
- [A] 短期的,即将兑现的 maturing at an early date
- 矮的,低的 below the average height
- [P] 简称的,简略形式的 a shorter form of, way of saying
- 短缺的,未达标的 not reaching the usual standard or required weight, length, quality, etc.
- [P] 不够; 缺乏,缺少 not having much or enough of sth; lacking sth or a certain quality
- 简单粗暴的,唐突无礼的 curt; abrupt
- 短音的 pronounced for a relatively brief time
- 少而浓的,烈性的 small and strong; made with spirits
- 油酥的 rich and crumbly as a result of containing much fat
- 突然,唐突地 suddenly; abruptly
- [C] 短路 short circuit
- [C] 短片 short film, especially one shown before the main film at a cinema
- [P] 烈酒 small strong alcoholic drink, especially of spirits
- [P] 短裤 short trousers that do not reach the knee, e.g. as worn by children, or by adults playing sports or in hot weather
the location on a baseball field where the shortstop is stationed
accidental contact between two points in an electric circuit that have a potential difference
the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed between second and third base
primarily temporal sense; indicating or being or seeming to be limited in duration;
"a short life"
"a short flight"
"a short holiday"
"a short story"
"only a few short months"
(primarily spatial sense) having little length or lacking in length;
"the board was a foot short"
"a short toss"
low in stature; not tall;
"he was short and stocky"
"short in stature"
"a short smokestack"
"a little man"
not sufficient to meet a need;
"an inadequate income"
"a poor salary"
"money is short"
"on short rations"
"food is in short supply"
"short on experience"
(of memory) deficient in retentiveness or range;
"a short memory"
not holding securities or commodities that one sells in expectation of a fall in prices;
"a short sale"
"short in cotton"
of speech sounds or syllables of relatively short duration;
"the English vowel sounds in `pat', `pet', `pit', `pot', putt' are short"
less than the correct or legal or full amount often deliberately so;
"a light pound"
"a scant cup of sugar"
"regularly gives short weight"
lacking foresight or scope;
"a short view of the problem"
"shortsighted critics derided the plan"
tending to crumble or break into flakes due to a large amount of shortening;
"shortbread is a short crumbly cookie"
"a short flaky pie crust"
marked by rude or peremptory shortness;
"try to cultivate a less brusque manner"
"a curt reply"
"the salesgirl was very short with him"
quickly and without warning;
"he stopped suddenly"
without possessing something at the time it is contractually sold;
"he made his fortune by selling short just before the crash"
"the car's axle snapped short"
at some point or distance before a goal is reached;
"he fell short of our expectations"
so as to interrupt;
"She took him up short before he could continue"
at a disadvantage;
"I was caught short"
in a curt, abrupt and discourteous manner;
"he told me curtly to get on with it"
"he talked short with everyone"
"he said shortly that he didn't like it"
cheat someone by not returning him enough money
create a short circuit in
- You've cut my hair very short.
- In contrast with his brothers, Tom is rather short.
- Let's take a short break for lunch.
- These goods are in short supply; the price will be high.
- The usual word "pub" is short for "public house".
- He was short with me this morning.
- Compare the short vowel in 'full' and the long vowel in 'fool'.
比较 full 中的短元音和 fool 中的长元音。
- The children mustn't go short of food.
- We often run short of staff in the summer.
- All too often you pitch the ball short.
- His achievements had fallen short of his hopes.
- Excuse me, but I'll have to cut you short.
- Her singing career was cut short by a car accident.
- It will be a saving to take a short cut.
- His doctor suggested that he take a short leave of absence.
- I never knew who could do so much in such a short time.
- She managed to pack a lot of sightseeing into the short period of time she had in London.
- She worked the whole day with only a short interval at noon.
- He has a long trunk with short legs.
- Short hair is cool in summer.
- A straight line is the shortest distance between two points.
- She likes to cast her ideas in short sentences.
- He drew up a long list of good short stories.
- He gave her a short answer.
- Tell them they must make the food last.We'll all be on short commons if the supply ship doesn't get through on time.
- The soldiers complained that they got short rations.
- I rarely have short drinks.
- There is a short vowel in “pull”.
- Our group is two people short.
- This packet is supposed to contain ten screws, but it's two short.
- The missile landed ten miles short.
- We should go on to the next item for time is short.
- The little boy's attention span was short.
- Jack is shorter than Tom by a head.
- His speeches are boring but they have the saving grace of being short.
- NATO is short for North Atlantic Treaty Organization.NATO
- This room is too short in relation to its width.
- He is short on knowledge.
- He's a nice lad but he's a bit short on brains.
- The book is rather short on illustrations, but has some useful information.
- The tired salesman was short with the customers.
- You've cut my hair very short.
- The shells fell short.
- The arrow landed short.
- This accident is due to an electrical short.
- There are a couple of shorts on before the main film.
- These shorts are too tight for me.
- The only time Dad shows his knees is on holiday, when he wears shorts instead of his long trousers.
- at short notice
立即,仓促 with little warning
- be little short of
几乎和…相同; 简直是 nearly the same as
- come short of
失望 miss; be less than what is expectedHe came short of our expectation.他令我们失望。
- fall short (of)
没有达到标准,不够,不足 fail to reach a required, or a specified standard
- give short shrift
对…不太理睬,漠不关心 devote little time to sb
give sb/sth short shrift
He came to me with some crazy plan, but I gave it very short shrift.
Gerald tried to borrow another ten pounds from me, but I give him very short shrift.
- go short (of)
缺乏,不够 have less of sth than one should
- in a short time
〈非正〉过了一阵子 after a short time
- in short supply
- make short work of
快速完成; 迅速处理 complete〔conclude〕 quickly
- nothing short of
完全相同 the same as
- run short (of)
短缺,数量不足 not have enough of
- short and sweet
〈口〉简单明了 brief and to the point
- short change
故意少给其找零头 give sb insufficient change
- short head
少量; 短距离 small amount; small distance
- short of
除了…之外 exceptHe will do anything short of murder to achieve his ends.为了达到目的,他除了凶杀什么都会干。
- short of breath
- short weight
比…重量要轻 less than the proper weight
- stop short of
不再,停止 not go as far as
- to cut a long story short
简言之 recount sth briefly
- bring〔pull〕 up short
使…忽然停止干某事 make sb/sth suddenly what one is doing
bring〔pull〕 sb/sth up short (by v-ing)
Ann was strolling along aimlessly when I brought her up short by calling her name from the other side of the street.
He brought the bus up short when the light changed to red.
The driver pulled the car up short just in time to prevent an accident.
- cut short
突然停止 stop suddenly
cut sb/sth short
I cut him short in the middle of his explanation.
The meeting was cut short when the chairman fell ill.
- stop short
突然停止 stop suddenly
Uncle Tom stopped short and looked at me.
The professor opened his mouth to say something; but he stopped short.
He stopped short when he heard his name called.
The horse stopped short when he heard my voice.
那匹马一听见我的声音就突然停了下来。stop sb/sth short
Stopping the car short caused a pileup on the highway.
- for short
简称,缩写 in abbreviated form
- in short
简而言之 stated briefly
- the long and the short of
概要 speaking briefly
- short for 是…的缩略
- short in 在…方面短(缺)的
- short in needed material 所需材料短缺
- short in the sleeves 袖子短了些
- short in understanding 缺乏了解
- short of 缺乏,缺少,有一段距离,未达到
- short of breath 呼吸短促
- short of cash 现金短缺
- short of food 食物短缺
- short of funds 资金短缺的
- short of meeting the requirements 满足不了这些要求
- short of men 缺乏人力
- short of one million 不足一百万
- short of ten dollars 差10美元
- short of water 缺水
- short on 缺乏,缺少
- short on housing 住房缺乏
- short on knowledge 知识肤浅
- the long and the short of it 总而言之,这事的概略
The cathedral..is the shortest in England (155 feet long).出自： Jan Morris
I don't like your hair as short as that.出自： C. Priest
When the little one sat down..her legs were..too short to reach the ground.出自： P. Fitzgerald
- short和表示时间的time, hour(s), year(s)等连用,可表示“不足”“不到”“短暂的”; 修饰动作或声音,可表示“短促的”。
- short作“烈酒”“短裤”解时通常用复数形式。用作主语时谓语动词须用复数形式,“一条短裤”是a pair of shorts。
- a short mile表示“不到一英里”，与词组a short hour，short years等与long的用法相似；
Your attitude is little short of being ridiculous.
- run short, run short of
- 这两个短语都是“快用完”的意思。前者相当于不及物动词,主语一般为物,以主动形式表示被动意义; 后者相当于及物动词,其主语为人或部门, of后接表示时间或钱、物的名词。例如:
- The flour is running short.
- We have run short of flour.
- short, brief
- 这两个词的共同意思是“短的”。其区别在于:brief着重指时间、言谈、篇幅等“短暂”“简短”; short是普通用词,泛指各种“短”。例如:
- My acquaintance with him was brief.我与他相识的时间不长。
- I went on a short trip.我作短暂的旅行。
- short, concise
- 这两个词都有“简明的”“简短的”意思。其区别在于:concise表示用较少的话准确地表述某事,无赘言; short指简短,但不一定准确,还可用于表示时间短暂、不足等。例如:
- The article is concise and to the point.这篇文章简明扼要。
- The mayor gave a short speech.市长发表了简短的讲话。
- short, shortly
- 两者都是副词,但不同义:short的意思是“突然”“蓦然”; 而shortly则作“不久”“在短时期内”解,且多用于将来时态。例如:
- The boss was driven to his wit's end short.
- I shall go on errands to Beijing shortly.
- for short, in short
- 这两个短语含义不同:in short表示“总之”“简言之”,用于文章、段落、言语等; for short表示“简称”“缩写”,多用于姓名等。
误 The fellow is rather short in height.
正 The fellow is rather short.
析 short本身可表示“身材矮小”,无需加in height。他患了一种因自己身材矮小而产生的自卑情结症。
误 He suffers from an inferiority complex because he's low.
正 He suffers from an inferiority complex because he's short.
误 “Lab” is short of “laboratory”.
正 “Lab” is short for “laboratory”.
析 be short of意为“缺乏…”; 要表达“是…的简写”,应说be short for。他们的汽油快用完了。
误 They are running shortly of gasoline.
正 They are running short of gasoline.
析 表示“缺少…”“快用完…”可说run short of, run在此为系动词,故不说run shortly of。油的供应短缺了。
误 The supply of oil is running short of.
正 The supply of oil is running short.我们的钱快用完了。
误 Our money is running short of.
正 Our money is running short.
析 “(某物)快用完”或“变得不够用”可以用sth run short的结构,这里作主语的是物,不是人。如果用人作主语,则用 sb run short of sth 的结构,作“(某人)缺…”解。这首诗很短,可以背诵下来。
误 The poem is short to learn by heart.
正 The poem is short enough to learn by heart.我们的假期太短了,不能用作旅行。
误 Our vacation is short to take for a journey.
正 Our vacation is too short to take for a journey.
误 The goods are in a short supply.
正 The goods are in short supply.很难买到瓷茶杯,供应非常不足。
误 Difficult to buy china cups, they are in a very short supply.
正 Difficult to buy china cups, they are in very short supply.
析 “(某种商品)供应不足”“不够用”习惯用be in short supply,中间不加任何冠词; 但可以在short前加程度副词very,表示“供应非常不足”。昨天他对我非常无礼。
误 He was very short to me yesterday.
正 He was very short with me yesterday.他对我如此粗鲁,以至于我的自尊心受到了伤害。
误 He was so short to me that I felt hurt.
正 He was so short with me that I felt hurt.
析 “对…无礼或怠慢”,应该说be short with...,其中介词 with不能改用 to。
误 In a short, society must be reorganized.
正 In short, society must be reorganized.
析 in short是习惯用法, short前不加任何冠词。总而言之,我们要作好充分准备。
误 In short word, we must get well prepared.
正 In short, we must get well prepared.
析 “总之”“简言之”用in short表示,这里short是名词,不能再加word。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的sceort；最初源自古典拉丁语的curtus，意为短的。