- [C]房间,室 a division of a building, which has its own wall, floor, and ceiling and is usually used for a particular purpose
- [U]空间,地方 space that could be filled, or that is enough for the stated purpose
- vi. 居住,寄住,租住 have lodgings; have a room or rooms
an area within a building enclosed by walls and floor and ceiling;
"the rooms were very small but they had a nice view"
space for movement;
"room to pass"
"make way for"
"hardly enough elbow room to turn around"
"room for improvement"
the people who are present in a room;
"the whole room was cheering"
live and take one's meals at or in;
"she rooms in an old boarding house"
- I groped for the light switch in the dark room.
- He bounced into the room with a springy step.
- There is no more room in the computer file.
- There is no room for innovation in standards.
- He needs room to develop his skill as a painter.
- She was going to have room for the energies.
- He's rooming with my friend Alan.
- The room was floored with boards.
- The room was not calculated for such uses .
- She followed him into the room.
- Shall I fetch your bag from the next room?
- People filled the room.
- The smoke filled the room.
- He has cleaned up the room.
- The hotel charges thirty-five dollars a day for this room.
- The boy had got caught up in the story he was reading, and so didn't notice my coming into the room.
- He was just about to leave when someone burst in on his room.
- The carpenters began to floor Room 403.
- If you block up the chimney, the smoke would fill the room.
- As we did not need a third door to the room, we blocked in the space of one of them with bricks.
- They blasted her into a black room.
- I awoke to bright sunlight filling my room; it was already midday.
- It was a luxuriously appointed room.
- There appeared to be only one room.
- I've sent the boy to his room and will not allow him out until he says that he's sorry.
- We have allocated this room to you.
- They arranged the room for the meeting.
- The room began to be filled with offspring who were advised of their sister's betrothal.
- The guerrilla managed to break out of the room where he was imprisoned.
- She turned and flung out of the room without another word.
- The angry father flung the door open and marched into his daughter's room.
- Lights were blazing in every room.
- The next day, not wishing to face their teacher, they shut themselves up in their room.
- She feared that she might not find him in his room.
- I bounded up the steps, burst into the living room and flipped on a light.
- They forced David into a small room.
- As they expected to move out almost immediately, they were camping out together in a small room.
- They built on a little room beside the house for the old lady.
- It is always advisable to book in early when you want a hotel room in the tourist season.
- If you bring another chair forward, there'll be room for everyone.
- Buy the children's shoes big enough to allow room for growth.
- Parents are wise to allow room for differing opinions.
- Room for everything excepted improvement.
- The criminal put the torn papers in the smallest room and tried to flush them away .
- That would give him some breathing room.
- The holiday truce gave the front-line troops some breathing room.
- The actors clapped together a stage so that they could have room to perform.
- There was just room to brush past in the crowd.
- I shall room at the inn for two nights.
- I room at Mr. Smith's.
- When the boy first went to university, he roomed at Tom's.
- When he went to New York, he used to room at a friend's house.
- He's rooming with us.
- enter the room
进入房间 go into the house
- in the room
在屋内 in the house
- leave room for
给…留下地方 make place for
- leave the room
离开房间 go out from the room
- make room for
给…让出空地方 give space for
- rest room
厕所,盥洗间 a room or series of rooms in a public building which has things for personal comfort and grooming, such as toilets, washbowls and mirrors
- air a room 给房间通风
- beautify a room 美化房间
- book a room 预订房间
- clean a room 打扫房间
- curtain a room 给房间挂窗布
- do a room 打扫房间
- dust a room 打扫房间
- enter a room 进入房间
- fix up a room 修理房间
- grace the room 使室内增色
- keep the room clean and tidy 使房间保持整洁
- leave the room 离开房间
- make room for sb 让出空地方给某人
- mess up the room 把房间弄得乱七八糟
- occupy room 占有空间
- pace a room 在房间里走来走去
- paper the room 裱糊房间
- rent a room 出租房间
- reserve a room 预订房间
- set up sb's room 收拾某人的房间
- slip out of a room 溜出房间
- storm into sb's room 闯入某人的房间
- sweep out of the room 大模大样地走出房间
- take a room 占房间,住房间
- take up room 占有空间
- walk across a room 穿过房间
- walk into the room 走进房间
- airy room 通风良好的房间
- back room 里屋,密室
- badly-lighted room 光线不好的房间
- comfortable room 舒适的房间
- common room 公共休息室,教员公用室
- double room 双人房间
- empty room 空房间
- front room 起居室,客厅
- good-sized room 宽敞大房间
- large room 大房间
- little room 没有什么余地
- much room 大有余地
- next room 隔壁房间
- nice room 漂亮的屋子
- overcrowded room 过分拥挤的房间
- private room 私人房间
- rented room 已出租的房间
- single room 单人房间
- smoke-filled room 满是烟雾的房间
- spare room 备用的房间
- tidy room 整洁的房间
- warm room 温暖的房间
- baggage room 行李间
- banquet room 宴会厅
- bath room 洗澡间
- changing room 更衣室
- conference room 会议室
- dining room 食堂,饭厅
- drawing room 起居室
- dressing room 化妆室
- emergency room 急救室
- exhibit rooms 陈列室
- family room 家庭娱乐室
- game room 游艺厅
- guest room 客厅
- living room 起居室
- operating room 手术室
- reading room 阅览室
- rest room (公共建筑物内的)公用厕所
- show room 陈列室,展览室
- sitting room 起居室
- storage room 储藏室
- toilet room 洗手间
- waiting room 等候室
- ladies' room 女厕所
- locker room 衣帽间,(运动员用的)更衣室
- gentlemen's room 男厕所
- at room 315 在315室
- in room 在室内
- in sb's room 处于某人的地位,代替某人
- contents of a room 房间里的东西
- a suite of room 一套房
Customers who need garage room for..vehicles.出自：Westminster Gazette
The economy size tube..takes up more room.出自： R. P. Bissell
I think I shall room alone hereafter.出自： T. C. Wolfe
Go to Harvard..and room together.出自： R. Jaffe
I wouldn't want to room with him.出自：Philadelphia Inquirer
- rooms还可作“住所”解。the smallest room的意思是“室内的厕所”,多用于英式英语的口语中。
- room常用作不及物动词,常与介词at, with连用。
- room, apartment, dormitory, flat
- He told me it cost him 1000 dollars to furnish his apartment, and I believe it.他告诉我他花了1000美元为这套住宅配置家具,这话我信。
- I need to buy a new apartment so as to the more convenient to go work.我需要一套新公寓,以便上班更方便。
- He went to Room 403.他到403室去了。
- The hotel clerk assigned me a good room.旅馆招待给我安排了一个好房间。
- The college has a dormitory for students.那所大学有一所学生宿舍。
- room, place
- 这两个词都可作“地方”“空地”解。其区别在于:place是可数名词,指某人或某物所占的特定的空间; room是不可数名词,指足够某一目的所需的空间,侧重大小、尺寸等。例如:
- This is the place where we can play tennis.这是我们打网球的地方。
- There is a lot of room to play tennis.有足够的空地打网球。
- There is a double room upstairs.
- There are two rooms upstairs.
- Please come to my room.
- Please come to my rooms.
- room, board, harbour, house, lodge, shelter
- Many villagers volunteered to house the flood victims.许多村民自愿为水灾难民提供住处。
- 3.board主要指“提供膳宿; 包食宿”,而且通常指收费的。例如:
- My aunt boards holidaymakers during the summer.夏天我的姨母收费给度假的人提供膳宿。
- She arranged to board some Chinese students from the university.她安排了这所大学的一些中国学生在她家食宿。
- Mrs. Jones makes a living by boarding students.琼斯太太靠给学生们提供食宿为生。
- Many southerners sheltered runaway slaves during the Civil War.南北战争之时,许多南方人保护过逃跑的奴隶。
- You can't shelter your brother from blame in the accident.在这次事故中,你无法庇护你的弟弟免受责备。
- They lodged the wanderers for the night.他们为流浪汉提供住宿。
- The motel lodges thirty people a night.汽车旅馆一夜可为30个人提供住宿。
- Harbouring criminals is an offence in law.窝藏罪犯是违法的。
- room有两层含义，一为“房间”，是可数名词；二表示人或物体所占的“空间或场所”、处事的“余地”等意思，是不可数名词，可用little，much，no，plenty等词修饰。可构成make room for给......让出地方；take up room占地方；leave room for留出空间给......等短语。
- place指人们从事各种活动的“地方，场所，位置”，是可数名词，常用的短语有take one’s place就坐，入席；in place在适当的位置。
误 The train was so crowded that there were hardly standing room in it.
正 The train was so crowded that there was hardly standing room in it.
析 当room 表示“空间,地方”时为不可数名词,谓语动词应用单数形式。他们应该退休,为年轻人让出位置。
误 They should retire to make a room for younger men.
正 They should retire to make room for younger men.
析 room表示“余地”时是不可数名词,不可说a room。英雄无用武之地。
误 The hero has no room displaying his prowess.
正 The hero has no room to display his prowess.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的rum，意为空间。