- n. 房屋；住一屋的人；机构；议院；观众；听众；黄道十二宫之一
- v. 给…房子住；储存(某物)；容纳；藏有
- [C]住宅,房子 building made for people to live in, usually for one family or for a family and lodgers
- [S]住在一所房子中的人们,全家人 people living in a same building
- [C]用作某种目的的建筑物 building made or used for some special purpose
- [C]议院 group of people who meet to discuss or pass laws
- vt. 给…提供住房 provide with a place to live
- vt. 收藏 provide space for sth
a dwelling that serves as living quarters for one or more families;
"he has a house on Cape Cod"
"she felt she had to get out of the house"
the members of a business organization that owns or operates one or more establishments;
"he worked for a brokerage house"
the members of a religious community living together
the audience gathered together in a theatre or cinema;
"the house applauded"
"he counted the house"
an official assembly having legislative powers;
"a bicameral legislature has two houses"
aristocratic family line;
"the House of York"
play in which children take the roles of father or mother or children and pretend to interact like adults;
"the children were playing house"
(astrology) one of 12 equal areas into which the zodiac is divided
the management of a gambling house or casino;
"the house gets a percentage of every bet"
a social unit living together;
"he moved his family to Virginia"
"It was a good Christian household"
"I waited until the whole house was asleep"
"the teacher asked how many people made up his home"
a building where theatrical performances or motion-picture shows can be presented;
"the house was full"
a building in which something is sheltered or located;
"they had a large carriage house"
contain or cover;
"This box houses the gears"
provide housing for;
"The immigrants were housed in a new development outside the town"
- Her house is furnished in excellent taste.
- They are going to move to a new house next week.
- My dream is to have a big house among peach trees.
- Be quiet or you'll wake the whole house!
- He designs for a famous fashion house.
- The failure of the great London banking house was quickly noised about.
- The party has a working majority in the house.
- There was one episode, in particular, that held the house from floor to ceiling.
- His address soon drew a good house.
- The 12th house rules our subconscious mind.
- He tried to feed and house his family.
- The library houses about three million books.
- The classroom can house sixty students.
- The area will house about 12 000 people.
- Those caves may house snakes or some other wild animals.
- My house is within walking distance of the school.
- New houses are going up everywhere.
- The fire spread quickly from house to house.
- The grounds around his house are beautiful.
- Their occupation of the house will expire next week.
- Everything in this house is in good order.
- The house had gone to ruin.
- It took all our savings to buy the house.
- The house adjacent to the church is the vicarage.
- Our house is adjacent to theirs.
- All the houses in this project are alike.
- The house stood alone on the hill.
- We were surprised at finding the house clean, bright and spacious.
- The teacher was busy correcting our exercise books when we called at his house.
- The house was in a state of complete disorder because of the young children.
- He was content to die here in the midst of his lands, in the old houses of his fathers.
- The union's headquarter is in the Transport House.
- These shops belong to the House of Fraser.
- John works for a brokerage house now.
- We had a quick meal at a cheap eating house.
- We visited the monkey house at the zoo.
- She was collecting eggs from the chicken house.
- Reading is the key to the treasure house of ideas.
- The Senate approved the bill, but the House voted against it.
- The House of Commons is the lower House of the British parliament.
- Be quiet or you'll wake the whole house!
- The whole house was woken up.
- The whole house was ill with the mumps.
- I stayed awake until the whole house was sleeping.
- Meals are always late in our house.
- The House of Windsor is an ancient house.
- She is related to a European royal house.
- The play was taken off after playing to almost empty houses for two weeks.
- Is there a doctor in the house?
- We had a good house.
- He tried to feed and house his family.
- Many villagers volunteered to house the flood victims.
- Each apartment could house a family of six.
- New flats were built to house the oil workers' families.
- Such a small cottage will never house us all.
- He uses the house to house the cows.
- Those caves may house snakes.
- I must find some place where I can house my books.
- The library houses thousands of volumes.
- Many married couples are waiting to be housed.
- The athletes were housed two to a room.
- bring the house down
赢得观众的掌声 make an audience laugh or applaud loudly
- keep house
管理家务 manage the affairs of a household
- on the house
由店家〔公司〕负担费用,免费 paid for by the pub., firm, etc.; free
- round the houses
到处找人或打听消息 from one person or place to another (especially when trying to get information)
- house in( v.+prep. )
把(某物)放在…; 让(某人)居住在… put sth in or on sth; make sb live in some place
house sb/sth in sth
After work they housed farm tools in a shed.
The mill houses its entire staff in apartment buildings.
All the books were housed in the library.
The library is housed in a fine building.
Each fountain pen is housed in an elegant casing.
The vintage car was housed in a garage.
The radar transreceiver is housed in a room adjacent to the display consoles.
- house up( v.+adv. )
呆在屋里 make sb stay at house
house sb ⇔ up
I have been housed up for a week with a bad cold.
- break into a house 破门而入
- build a house 建房
- burn down a house 烧毁房子
- buy a house 买房子
- change house 换房
- clean a house 打扫房屋
- destroy a house 毁坏房子
- do up a house 修缮房子
- enter a house 进入房子
- have a house of one's own 自己有房子
- improve a house 改善住房
- keep the house 居家,不外出
- let a house to sb 向某人出租房子
- look about for a house 到处找房子
- manage the house 当家
- move house 搬家
- paint a house 给房子刷漆
- pull down a house 拆房子
- put one's house in order 收拾屋子,进行内部整理
- put up a house 造房
- sell a house 卖房子
- set one's house in order 把房子收拾好
- stay at sb's house 住在某人家中
- take a house for the summer 租一栋房歇夏
- tear down a house 拆毁房子
- bring down a house 博得满场喝彩
- carry the house 博得全场喝彩
- keep a good house 待客周到
- keep an open house 好客
- dark house 阴暗的房子
- empty house 空屋
- magnificent house 富丽堂皇的房子
- modern house 现代化的房子
- nice house 漂亮的房子
- open house 好客之家,对外开放日
- poor house 贫民院,养育院
- popular house 普通的房子
- safe house 安全藏身处
- tall house 高大的房子
- ugly house 难看的房子
- wooden house 木头房子
- free house 出售各酒厂产品的酒店
- full house (剧院、餐馆等)客满
- narrow house 坟墓,墓
- public house 客栈,酒吧
- the lower house 下议院
- the upper house 上议院
- brick house 砖房
- chicken house 养鸡场,鸡舍
- country house 乡间别墅
- glass house 暖房,玻璃房子
- stone house 石头房子
- store house 仓库
- summer house 避暑别墅
- town house 市内住所
- banking house 银行
- business house 商店
- opera house 歌剧院
- publishing house 出版社
- station house 警察分局
- treasure house 宝库
- treasure house of folk art 民间艺术的宝库
- house one friend 为一个朋友提供住房
- house the poor 给穷人提供住处
- house the refugee 为难民提供住房
- house the cows 圈牛
- house the horses 圈马
- house books 收藏书
- house documents 收藏文件
- house pictures 收藏画
- house watches 收藏手表
- house abundantly 住房宽敞
- house aristocratically 居住华丽
- house austerely 简朴地居住
- house disreputably 杂乱地居住
- house economically 便宜地居住
- house faithfully 适用地居住
- house hospitably 招待周到地提供住房
- house luxuriously 居住华丽
- house practically 实惠地提供住房
- house safely 安全地居住
- house warmly 热心地提供住处
- house together 住在一起
- house up 呆在家里
The rich people who lived in the stone and plaster houses of the town.出自： J. Steinbeck
He..housed us without a moment's fuss.出自： A. J. P. Taylor
- house作“观众”解时是集合名词,其前可加不定冠词a,用作主语时,其谓语动词多用单数形式。house作“全家人”解时,一般用单数形式,其前多有the whole修饰; 用作主语时,谓语动词多用单数形式。
- house, dwelling, family, home, residence
- 这五个词都有“家,家庭,家宅”的意思。其区别在于:home指某人出生以及成长的环境或与某人一起居住的地方; dwelling为文学用语,用以同商店、办公室及其他建筑物相区别的住宅; family指的是家庭成员,与居住地无关; house强调人们居住的建筑物本身; residence常指周围大片土地的宅邸,也可指普通的房屋,尤其是自己的住宅。例如:
- There's nothing like home.哪儿也没有家里好。
- Their clothes were in rags and their dwellings were small and poorly furnished.他们衣衫褴褛,住房狭小,家具简陋。
- Because our family is happy and healthy we reckon ourselves fortunate.因为我们一家人幸福健康,我们认为我们是幸运的。
- She offered to help Rose in house keeping when I was not here.我不在时,她主动帮助露丝料理家务。
- Buy a house, build a home.买一所房子,安一个家。
- The President's residence is the White House in Washington,D.C.总统的官邸是华盛顿特区的白宫。
- keep house 料理家务
- keep one's house (在某地)居住
- keep the house 呆在家里
- keep open house 好客
- keep the house open 没有闩门
- House Full (戏院等的告示)客满
- full houses 场场爆满
- house, board, harbour, lodge, room, shelter
- Many villagers volunteered to house the flood victims.许多村民自愿为水灾难民提供住处。
- 3.board主要指“提供膳宿; 包食宿”,而且通常指收费的。例如:
- My aunt boards holidaymakers during the summer.夏天我的姨母收费给度假的人提供膳宿。
- She arranged to board some Chinese students from the university.她安排了这所大学的一些中国学生在她家食宿。
- Mrs. Jones makes a living by boarding students.琼斯太太靠给学生们提供食宿为生。
- Many southerners sheltered runaway slaves during the Civil War.南北战争之时,许多南方人保护过逃跑的奴隶。
- You can't shelter your brother from blame in the accident.在这次事故中,你无法庇护你的弟弟免受责备。
- They lodged the wanderers for the night.他们为流浪汉提供住宿。
- The motel lodges thirty people a night.汽车旅馆一夜可为30个人提供住宿。
- Harbouring criminals is an offence in law.窝藏罪犯是违法的。
误 He arrived his house a little before five.
正 He arrived home a little before five.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的hus，意为住处，避难所，房子。