- n. 小屋；巢穴；门房；传达室；支部
- v. 存放；临时住宿；安顿；提出(报告、抗议等)
- 门房， 门卫室
- 暂住，暂时栖身于…， 临时住宿
- vt. & vi. 供以临时住处 supply sb with a room or place to sleep in for a time; receive as a guest
- vt. 向当局提出声明 place a statement, etc. with the proper authorities
- [C]乡间小屋,旅舍 country house or cabin for use in certain seasons
English physicist who studied electromagnetic radiation and was a pioneer of radiotelegraphy (1851-1940)
a formal association of people with similar interests;
"he joined a golf club"
"they formed a small lunch society"
"men from the fraternal order will staff the soup kitchen today"
small house at the entrance to the grounds of a country mansion; usually occupied by a gatekeeper or gardener
a small (rustic) house used as a temporary shelter
any of various Native American dwellings
a hotel providing overnight lodging for travelers
be a lodger; stay temporarily;
"Where are you lodging in Paris?"
put, fix, force, or implant;
"lodge a bullet in the table"
"stick your thumb in the crack"
file a formal charge against;
"The suspect was charged with murdering his wife"
provide housing for;
"We are lodging three foreign students this semester"
- We drove to our lodge on the lake for the summer.
- Yet the beaver lodge remained sturdy and strong.
- He makes his house, or lodge, by piling a great mass of sticks and roots in a big cone on a solid foundation at the bottom of the pond and weighting them down with mud.
- They were immediately admitted into the lodge.
- He put the keys in the porter's lodge.
- On this occasion the lodge sent a carriage.
- You can lodge the valuables in the bank.
- The bullet became lodged in her spine.
- I lodged at a friend's house.
- They lodge tourist during summer holidays.
- Where we were to lodge was the problem .
- We will be very glad to board and lodge you.
- The army can lodge their tents in the fields.
- If you wish to lodge a complaint, you'd better get on to the manager.
- I would like to lodge the protest.
- We have to lodge a claim against you for inferior quality.
- The buyer has the right to lodge a claim on the defective goods.
- You could lodge a claim with the ship owner or with the insurance company.
- We reserve the right to lodge a claim for loss.
- It is too late to lodge any objections.
- We lodge students during term time.
- They lodged the wanderers for the night.
- She seldom lodged the tourists.
- I can lodge you for a day or two.
- The motel lodges thirty people a night.
- Tell the boss I want to lodge a complaint.
- It is too late to lodge any objections.
- We stayed at a lodge.
- lodge against (v.+prep.)
对(某人或某事)提出(控诉) place (sth such as a complaint) officially against (sb or sth)
lodge sth against sb
Several leading citizens have lodged complaints against the city councilors for their mishandling of public money.
- lodge at (v.+prep.)
住(旅馆);寄宿 be a paying guest at (a place such as a hotel of sb's house)
lodge at sth
I shall lodge at the inn for two nights.
I lodged at Mr. Smith's.
When the boy first went to university, he lodged at Tom's.
When he went to New York, he used to lodge at a friend's house.
- lodge in (v.+prep.)
使固定在,停留在 (cause to) become fixed in (sth such as part of the body)
lodge in sth
Is there anywhere that I can lodge in the village tonight?
Some of the students lodge in their college halls.
有些学生住在学院的学生宿舍里。lodge sb in sth
She lodged them in her own home.
The shipwrecked sailors were lodged in the school.
那条失事的船上的水手被留宿在那所学校里。lodge in sth
The bullet lodged in the wall.
A pebble lodged in his shoes.
A small chicken bone lodged in his throat, and had to be removed by a doctor.
A piece of metal has lodged in a sensitive part of the nervous system, making the man unable to move his arm.
This story had lodged in his memory.
- lodge with (v.+prep.)
向…提交… place (sth such as a complaint) in the keeping of (an official or officials)
lodge with sth
When we go to the countryside, we lodge with my uncle's house.
我们去乡下寄住在我叔叔家。lodge sth with sb/sth
She lodged a complaint against him with the authorities concerned.
The chief witness was allowed to leave the town only after lodging a sworn statement with the police.
- lodge advantageously 有益地住宿
- lodge conveniently 便利地住宿
- lodge firmly 强烈地抗议
- lodge permanently 长期地住宿
- lodge snugly 舒适地住宿
- lodge temporarily 临时住宿
- lodge uniquely 奇特地抗议
- lodge against 提出…控诉
- lodge at No.12 Smith Street 住在史密斯大街12号
- lodge in 射中…
- lodge in the brain 打进头部
- lodge with relatives 寄宿在亲属家中
- hunting lodge 供猎人留宿的小屋子
Quarries having their own lodges capable of supplying ready-made such simple features as doorways.出自： H. Braun
You lodge your horses more magnificently than yourself.出自： Lytton
The old Christopher Inn, where the..boys were lodged.出自： M. Cox
- lodge用作及物动词时,其基本意思是“提供临时住所”,仅供睡觉,不包括娱乐与餐饮。引申则指头脑中如接待投宿者一样深存某想法,接名词或代词作宾语;用作不及物动词时，作“投宿”“寄宿”解,常与介词at, with连用。
- lodge, board, harbour, house, room, shelter
- Many villagers volunteered to house the flood victims.许多村民自愿为水灾难民提供住处。
- 3.board主要指“提供膳宿; 包食宿”,而且通常指收费的。例如:
- My aunt boards holidaymakers during the summer.夏天我的姨母收费给度假的人提供膳宿。
- She arranged to board some Chinese students from the university.她安排了这所大学的一些中国学生在她家食宿。
- Mrs. Jones makes a living by boarding students.琼斯太太靠给学生们提供食宿为生。
- Many southerners sheltered runaway slaves during the Civil War.南北战争之时,许多南方人保护过逃跑的奴隶。
- You can't shelter your brother from blame in the accident.在这次事故中,你无法庇护你的弟弟免受责备。
- They lodged the wanderers for the night.他们为流浪汉提供住宿。
- The motel lodges thirty people a night.汽车旅馆一夜可为30个人提供住宿。
- Harbouring criminals is an offence in law.窝藏罪犯是违法的。
- lodge with, live with, stay with
- 这三个短语意思相近,但也有差别:live with的意思是“寄宿在某人处,与某人同居”;lodge with用于古语体口语中,指投宿在熟人处;stay with指作为客人短期地住在某人家里。例如:
- She lived with him for a couple of years before they got married.他们在结婚前已同居了二三年。
- When we go to the countryside, we lodge with my uncle.我们去乡下寄住在我叔叔家。
- I stayed with the governor when I was in Celon.我在锡兰时住在总督家里。
- lodge, cot, cottage, shed
- cottage意为“茅屋”,主要指农夫、渔夫等穷苦人所住的茅草屋,多指乡村中的小屋,现又指疗养院、学校等内部的单幢住所和避暑别墅,多为美观舒适的小房子; cot指一种简易的村舍、小屋,也指用木头等搭成的家畜、家禽等的棚、槛、栏等; shed主要指粗糙的建筑物,储物间; lodge则指在乡间供溜冰、狩猎或垂钓者住宿的小房子或城市里看门人、仆人所住的位于大院门口的小屋以及警卫室、传达室等。例如:
- My aunt lives in a pretty thatched cottage in the country.我婶婶住在乡下的一间茅草屋里。
- They bought a cottage for holidays.他们买了一所度假别墅。
- The people in this village lived in mud cots.这村里的人都住这种泥房子。
- The farmer built a cot for his chickens.那农民给他的鸡搭了一鸡舍。
- There are three porter's lodges in our school.在我们学校有三个传达室。
- There are many tools in the tool shed.工具棚里有许多工具。