- n. 空间；处所；太空；空地；空闲；空格；间隙
- v. 留间隔；分隔；走神；忘记
- [U] 空间,距离 sth measurable in length, width, or depth, distance, area, or volume that can be used or filled by a physical object, room
- [U] 范围,处所,场所空位,空地 a quantity or bit of this for an often stated purpose, land not built on
- [U] 宇宙空间,太空; 天空 what is outside the Earth's air, where the stars and planets are; that which surrounds all objects and doesn't continue outwards in all directions
- [C] 间隔,空白处 an area or distance left between written or printed words, lines, etc.
- [C] 一段时间,期间 a period of time
- vt. 把…分隔开,留间隔于…之间 place apart ; arrange with spaces between
the unlimited expanse in which everything is located;
"they tested his ability to locate objects in space"
"the boundless regions of the infinite"
an empty area (usually bounded in some way between things);
"the architect left space in front of the building"
"they stopped at an open space in the jungle"
"the space between his teeth"
an area reserved for some particular purpose;
"the laboratory's floor space"
any location outside the Earth's atmosphere;
"the astronauts walked in outer space without a tether"
"the first major milestone in space exploration was in 1957, when the USSR's Sputnik 1 orbited the Earth"
a blank character used to separate successive words in writing or printing;
"he said the space is the most important character in the alphabet"
the interval between two times;
"the distance from birth to death"
"it all happened in the space of 10 minutes"
a blank area;
"write your name in the space provided"
one of the areas between or below or above the lines of a musical staff;
"the spaces are the notes F-A-C-E"
(printing) a block of type without a raised letter; used for spacing between words or sentences
place at intervals;
"Space the interviews so that you have some time between the different candidates"
- There is plenty of space to move about.
- I only have a small working space.
- A missile was projected into space.
- It's easier for small car to find a parking space.
- The children were given little personal space or privacy.
- Write your name and address in the spaces below.
- It was an amazing achievement in such a short space of time.
- Space your words when you write.
- I decided to space out payments over five years .
- Say that again please, I spaced for a minute.
- I completely spaced that math assignment!
- The philosopher speculated about time and space.
- Tess was conscious of neither time nor space.
- There is massive space in that huge vessel.
- The tug eased into the narrow docking space.
- The box won't wedge into such a narrow space.
- Since space is limited,I shall touch on the language laboratory only very briefly.
- I shall devote some space to describing my own experiences.
- In the space of ten miles the road rises 1000 feet.
- Where the book had been there was just an empty space.
- Please save a space for me in the queue.
- I couldn't find a parking space.
- Many blank spaces are still left in the suburbs.
- They are going to build offices in the open space next to our factory.
- There isn't enough space in this room for three beds.
- The earth moves through space.
- Three American astronauts climbed into a spaceship and an immense rocket shot them into space.
- Cosmic rays travel great distances through space.
- Physical sciences deal with the knowledge of the world and space.
- I don't think he saw me, he was just staring into space.
- Put as much space as possible between the lines.
- Please leave a space between the lines for the necessary corrections.
- Leave a space after that word.
- She has a wide space between her teeth.
- Leave a space between words.
- Write your name in the blank space.
- Press the “space” to start the game!
- Let us rest a space.
- Can you finish eating in the space of an hour?
- He has not seen his brother for the space of ten years.
- There's been a 100% increase in sales within the space of only two years.
- Space your words evenly when you write.
- Space the chairs so that there is room for people to walk between them.
- The letter was well spaced.
- breathing space
起码的活动空间 space at least can be breathingThe train was so crowded that there was hardly breathing space.火车上挤得简直喘不过气来。
- for a space
一段时间 a period of time
- from space to space
每隔一定的距离 have area or distance at every sth
- space apart (v.+adv.)
与…相隔 place apart
space sth ⇔ apart
Space the desk two meters apart so that the pupils can't cheat.
The posts are to be spaced ten feet apart.
- space out (v.+adv.)
留间隔,把…拉开距离 arrange with spaces between
space sth ⇔ out
In designing the houses,space out them from 10 to 12 yards apart.
They have to space out payments over five years.
We spaced our family out over three years.
The pictures in the gallery were well spaced out.
- afford space 提供场地
- block up a space 堵塞场地
- clear a space 清扫场地
- disappear into space 消失在空中
- extend a space 扩大场地
- fill in a space 填充空白处
- lack of space 缺少面积〔篇幅〕
- leave space for 给…留出余地〔空白,场地〕
- limit a space 限制场地
- move through space 在太空运行
- occupy space 占据空间
- provide space 提供场地
- save space 节省空间〔篇幅〕
- take up space 占用空间〔篇幅〕
- empty space 空地,空间
- enough space 足够的空间〔余地〕
- interplanetary space 太空,上层空间
- much space 很大的余地〔篇幅〕
- narrow space 狭窄的空间
- open space 空旷的场地
- outer space 外层空间
- wide space 空旷场所
- space between… 之间的空间
- space between the houses 房子间的距离
- space for 为…而留出的空间
- space for a bed 铺一张床的空间
- space of ten miles 十英里的距离
- space of this article 本文的篇幅
- space of three days 三日间
To her Father's Court in little space Restor'd anew.出自： Dryden
The turnpike gates again Flew open in short space.出自： W. Cowper
If you can't water your vegetables regularly, it's best to space them further apart.出自：Which?
- space, heaven, sky, universe
- 这组词都有“天”的意思,它们之间的区别是:heaven指与earth(地)或hell(地狱)相对的“天国,天堂”,也可以指“天空”,常用复数形式heavens; sky意思是“天空”,指广阔的天空或某一地区的“上空,云端”,在文学语言中,有时也用复数形式skies; space作“空间,太空”讲,是普通用语,强调空间概念; universe的意思是“宇宙,全世界,天地万物”,强调物质概念。例如:
- There were no clouds in the sky.天上没有云。
- Which dares to make sun and moon shine in new skies.为有牺牲多壮志,敢教日月换新天。
- The earth moves through space.地球在太空运行。
- Tess was conscious of neither time nor space.苔丝既没有意识到时间又没有意识到空间。
- Our world is but small part of the universe.我们的地球只不过是宇宙的一小部分。
- They thought the earth was the centre of the universe.他们认为地球是宇宙的中心。
- space, align, range
- space是及物动词,表示“把某事物按一定距离排开”; align只讲把某事物排成一行对齐,有时也可用于抽象意义; range一词着重强调排成行和有一定次序。例如:
- The troops aligned.部队排成一行。
- The general ranged his men along the river bank.将军令其士兵沿河岸排队。
- ☆ 1300年左右进入英语，直接源自古法语的espace；最初源自古典拉丁语的spatium，意为空间，地域，距离，时间的延伸。