- with low volume;
"speak softly but carry a big stick"
"she spoke quietly to the child"
"the radio was playing softly"
- with little or no sound;
"the class was listening quietly and intently"
"she was crying quietly"
- with little or no activity or no agitation (`quiet' is a nonstandard variant for `quietly');
"her hands rested quietly in her lap"
"the rock star was quietly led out the back door"
"sit here as quiet as you can"
- in a restful manner;
"the streets are restfully sunny and still for the town is at mass"
- Now he slept quietly with his fathers.
- The baby is sleeping away quietly.
- He passed quietly out of the room.
- She faded away quietly and we never saw her again.
- I wanted to ponder the next move quietly.
- in silence沉默地
- quietly:quietly adv. 平静地, 静静地, 寂静地…