- 无声的， 不作声的
- 寂静的,无声的 free from noise; quiet
- 沉默的 not speaking or using spoken expression
- 不发音的 (of a letter in a word) not having a sound; not pronounced
marked by absence of sound;
"a silent house"
"soundless footsteps on the grass"
"the night was still"
failing to speak or communicate etc when expected to;
"the witness remained silent"
implied by or inferred from actions or statements;
"gave silent consent"
"a tacit agreement"
"the understood provisos of a custody agreement"
not made to sound;
"the silent `h' at the beginning of `honor'"
"in French certain letters are often unsounded"
having a frequency below or above the range of human audibility;
"a silent dog whistle"
unable to speak because of hereditary deafness
- Would you be good enough to keep silent?
- The old house was quite silent.
- We sailed into a beautiful and silent bay.
- She was a silent girl, cool and remote.
- I represent the silent majority.
- If you are arrested you have the right to remain silent.
- She was blind to the silent worship in his eyes.
- His own cry, which clattered down the silent ravines, was borne back to his ears in the countless repetitions.
- The cat moved on silent feet.
- It was a silent film.
- A silent movie doesn't mean it is motionless.
- She was a famous star of the silent movies.
- He is a strong, silent type.
- He is a silent, thoughtful boy.
- The “e” in“ time” is a silent letter.time
- It was deep silent in the forest.
- He motioned to me to be silent.
- When it is operating, this dishwasher is almost silent.
- When he came, he was silent and moody, and after a few sarcastic remarks he went away.
- He was silent at first, but soon he opened up and told us about his terrible experiences.
- Gradually he became silent.
- His voice choked at the painful memory and he fell silent.
- Do you know when to keep silent?
- There are a lot of rumors about him but he keeps silent and never hits back at anyone.
- It is preferable to remain silent.
- His speech held them silent.
- silent about
对…未提到 do not refer to sth
- silent as the grave
寂静无声的,像坟墓一样沉寂 completely silent, perhaps suggesting mystery
- silent on
对…保持沉默 not give one's opinion on sth
- silent audience 无言的观众
- silent film 无声电影
- silent forest 寂静的森林
- silent night 寂静的夜
- silent prayer 默默的祈祷
- silent assent 默许
- silent opposition 默默的反对
- silent reading 默读
- silent room 寂静的房间
- silent type 沉默型
- silent volcano 静止的火山
He could..work better when she talked than when she was silent.出自： G. Greene
Reginald was silent until they passed out of earshot; then he talked once more.出自： W. March
- silent, calm, peaceful, quiet, still
- 1.在修饰环境时各词所指的状态为:calm指风平浪静; peaceful指没有战争或骚乱; quiet指没有吵闹干扰; still指完全没有声音。例如:
- The sea was calm yesterday.昨天海水是平静的。
- Countries should settle their disputes by peaceful means.各国应通过和平手段解决他们的争端。
- Differences among them could have been reconciled by them through peaceful consultations.他们中间的分歧本来可以由他们和平协商调解。
- He had a bad headache and needed being quiet.他头疼得厉害,需要安静。
- Everything was deadly still.万籁俱寂。
- 2.在修饰人时:calm指人心平气和,毫不激动; peaceful表示“安详的”“温和的”; quiet指性情温和、安静等,有时也指人的闲散或不活动; still指“一动不动”; silent侧重“沉默”“不说话”,但不一定不动。例如:
- The teacher is peaceful when the student appeared.当这个学生出现时,这个老师很温和。
- We should keep quiet in the hospital.在医院里我们应该保持安静。
- His hands were never still.他的双手一刻也不停。
- We've been silent for too long. It's time to speak out.我们沉默得太久了,现在是大胆地发表意见的时候了。
- She sat silent in her own room.她在自己的房间里一动不动地坐着。
- silent, reticent, taciturn
- silent指有沉默寡言的特点,只说必须说的话,但也可指在某一场合因为某种缘故而不说话; taciturn意为不爱说话,天性倾向于沉默; reticent意为不把所知道的事情说出,尤指对私事秘而不宣。例如:
- He is a taciturn man who dislikes parties.他是一个不喜欢聚会、天性沉默寡言的人。
- He is reticent about his early life.他对自己早年的生活秘而不宣。
误 Please be silence.
正 Please be silent.
- silently adv. 寂静地；沉默地