- vt. & vi. 失败 be unsuccessful; be unable
- vt. & vi. 忘记,忽视,未能 forget; neglect; omit; not remember
- vt. & vi. 不足,短缺,缺乏 be not enough; come to an end while still needed; be wanting in; lack
- vi. 衰退,衰弱 (health, physical strength, sight, etc.) decline; weaken
- vi. 破产 go bankrupt
- vt. 辜负 let down; make lose hope
- [S]考试不及格 failure in an examination
- fail to do something; leave something undone;
"She failed to notice that her child was no longer in his crib"
"The secretary failed to call the customer and the company lost the account"
- be unsuccessful;
"Where do today's public schools fail?"
"The attempt to rescue the hostages failed miserably"
- disappoint, prove undependable to; abandon, forsake;
"His sense of smell failed him this time"
"His strength finally failed him"
"His children failed him in the crisis"
- stop operating or functioning;
"The engine finally went"
"The car died on the road"
"The bus we travelled in broke down on the way to town"
"The coffee maker broke"
"The engine failed on the way to town"
"her eyesight went after the accident"
- be unable;
"I fail to understand your motives"
- judge unacceptable;
"The teacher failed six students"
- fail to get a passing grade;
"She studied hard but failed nevertheless"
"Did I fail the test?"
- fall short in what is expected;
"She failed in her obligations as a good daughter-in-law"
"We must not fail his obligation to the victims of the Holocaust"
- become bankrupt or insolvent; fail financially and close;
"The toy company went bankrupt after the competition hired cheap Mexican labor"
"A number of banks failed that year"
- prove insufficient;
"The water supply for the town failed after a long drought"
- get worse;
"Her health is declining"
- He never fails to write to his mother every week.
- He studied hard only to fail in the exam.
- The water supply failed during the drought.
- As she is getting older, her sight is beginning to fail.
- Your performance failed your coach who thought that you could have done better.
- He wanted to lift the heavy box, but his strength failed him.
- Words fail me right at the sight of this beautiful scenery.
- You will fail French unless you work harder.
- He got a fail in history and passes in other subjects.
- He calls me every Sunday night without fail.
If you don't work hard, you may fail.
The project has failed.
All our plans failed.
They led two revolutions and failed.
He had done his best but failed.
He tried to pull out the burning fuse, but failed.
The plan failed miserably.
The machine, however, failed on its trial run.
Their water supply had failed.
The oil supply failed.
The flowers failed for lack of rain.
Her health rapidly failed.
His sight is beginning to fail.
He was very old and was failing rapidly.
The old man was failing and his sons decided to spare him the shock of the news.
How rapidly he fails!
The radio is failing.
Pretty soon father's business failed altogether and I had to leave school again.
Several of the biggest banks failed during the depression.
When the price of oil doubled many businesses failed.
The store failed with him.
After his death, the family line failed.
The patient's heart failed.
The rocket's engine failed a few seconds after taking off.
The crop failed because of drought.
The crop failed two years.
If the crops fails, there will be a serious food shortage.
He would have succeeded if his courage hadn't failed him.
If you do such sloppy work again,I promise I'll fail you.
Diligent students occasionally fail this subject.
If they fail that test, they are likely to have plenty of time to figure out where their game went wrong.
He failed his driving-test.
We trusted him, and he did not fail us.
We are counting on your return next year, we know you won't fail us.
His friends failed him when he most need-ed them.
She was my responsibility, and I failed her; and so it has come to this.
His memory failed him.
She was so upset that words failed her.
Several times he almost brought himself to the point of speaking to them, but his courage failed him.
His heart, however, failed him.
She reached for a chair and sat down suddenly, as if her legs had failed her.
Her tongue failed her when she tried to reply.
I failed to see him. He was out.
She failed to reach the semi-finals.
Can anyone fail to see what kind of show they are putting on?
They have failed to modernize their factories.
He dialed the number again, but failed to get a connection.
The car failed to climb the hill.
All efforts at whitewashing failed to deceive the workers.
Mr. Walt never failed to get up early.
He never failed to write to his mother every week.
He always fails to lock the door when he leaves.
Don't fail to let me know when you return.
Don't fail to ring me up.
Don't fail to remember what I have said.
She never fails to keep her words.
We receive letters from him every week, he never fails to write.
He failed to pass the examination through carelessness.
He has suffered from failing health for the last two years.
In the failing light I could hardly see the road in front of me.
Failing that, we must think of another plan.
Failing a heavy rainfall soon, the drought will become serious.
Failing this, they will be responsible for all the consequences arising there from.
Some college courses are graded in terms of either a pass or a fail.
I had three passes and one fail.
“What were your results?” “A fail in history and passes in everything else.”
- fail in (v.+prep.)
在…方面失败了 (cause to) be unsuccessful in fail in sth/v-ing
He failed in business.他经商失败。
He failed in his attempt to organize another club.他另组一个俱乐部的企图失败了。
He failed in his first attempt.他第一次尝试失败。
I should consider myself failing in my duty if I did not take immediate action.我认为如果我不立即采取行动,就是失职。
He failed in his promise.他未信守诺言。
How could you fail in such an easy test?这么容易的考试你怎会不及格?
He failed in the examination.他考试没及格。
They have failed in literature and art.他们文学艺术不及格。
She failed in her mathematics.她数学不及格。
I passed in math but failed in French.我数学及格,但法语不及格。
Mr. Brown failed in getting a job.布朗先生没有找到工作。
I failed in persuading him.我没能说服他。
The chairman failed in trying to persuade the committee to share his opinion.主席没能说服委员会与他持同样的看法。
He failed in passing the examination through carelessness.由于粗心,他考试没有及格。fail sb in sth
The teacher failed her in English.老师评她英语不及格。
The teacher failed me in the written paper.老师判我笔试不及格。
He failed us in our time of need.在我们正需要帮助的时候,他使我们失望了。
缺乏…,在…方面不足 lack sth fail in sth
She writes well, but fails in imagination.她文笔很好,但写出的东西缺乏想象力。
His speech failed in persuasiveness and proof.他的讲演缺乏说服力和论据。
He's a clever man, but fails in perseverance.他是个聪明人,但毅力不够。
- 在…方面失败了 (cause to) be unsuccessful in fail in sth/v-ing
- fail of (v.+prep.)
在…方面不能达到,缺乏 be unsuccessful in; lack fail of sth
He failed of promotion.他未能获得提升。
Your plan seems to have failed of its purpose.你们的计划似乎没有达到预期的目的。
The policy is bound to fail of its object.这个政策肯定达不到它的目的。
His experiment failed of success.他的实验没有成功。
The Bill failed of passage in the last Congress.这项议案在上届国会中未获通过。
The debater's argument failed of logical connection.辩论者的论点缺少逻辑上的连贯性。
- 在…方面不能达到,缺乏 be unsuccessful in; lack fail of sth
- without fail
必定,一定 with complete certainty
I'll be there at two o'clock without fail. 我两点钟一定到那里。
He comes to visit me every Thursday without fail. 他每逢星期四准来看望我。
Let me know without fail. 一定要让我知道。
I'll call on you without fail. 我一定来拜访你。
I will give you a present on your birthday without fail. 你生日时我一定送你一份礼物。
- 必定,一定 with complete certainty
- fail abjectly 惨败
- fail absolutely 绝对不足
- fail apparently 明显地不足
- fail completely 完全地失败
- fail considerably 极大地失败
- fail conspicuously 显然失败
- fail constantly 不断地失败
- fail deplorably 惨败
- fail despicably 可耻地失败
- fail directly 直接失败
- fail dismally 惨败
- fail doubtfully 难以预料地失败
- fail duly 正式破产
- fail entirely 完全破产
- fail essentially 彻底失败
- fail eventually 最终失败
- fail freely 随意地忘记
- fail fully 完全忘记
- fail gravely 严重地失败
- fail grievously 严重地失败
- fail habitually 常败
- fail hypocritically 假装失败
- fail ignominiously 屈辱地失败
- fail indefensibly 不可避免地失败
- fail indirectly 间接不足
- fail inexplicably 莫明其妙地失败
- fail lamentably 可悲地失败
- fail materially 实质性地失败
- fail mentally 智力上不足
- fail miserably 惨败
- fail needlessly 不必要地失败
- fail occasionally 偶尔地失败
- fail partially 部分地失败
- fail quietly 悄悄地失败
- fail rapidly 迅速恶化
- fail ridiculously 可笑地失败
- fail sadly 惨败
- fail seriously 严重地不足
- fail signally 大败
- fail steadily 不断失败
- fail tentatively 暂时不足
- fail ultimately 最终失败
- fail undoubtedly 必将失败
- fail unwittingly 无意中失败
- fail utterly 完全失败
- fail vitally 极大地不足
- fail for want of help 因得不到帮助而失败
- fail in 在…方面失败,缺乏
- fail in business 做生意不成功
- fail in duty 失职
- fail in everything 一切都失败了
- fail in examination 考试不及格
- fail in health 健康衰退
- fail in persuading sb 没能说服某人
- fail of 没有,未能
- fail of purpose 没有达到目的
- fail of success 没有成功
- fail of the object 没达到目的
- fail on 评定(学生)…不及格
- fail through carelessness 因疏忽而失败
What dangers, by his Highness' fail of issue, May drop upon his kingdom.出自：Winter's Tale,Shakespeare
He won't come this evening..But he'll come tomorrow Without fail.出自：S. Beckett
Shaded over head with Trees, and with Matts when the boughs fail.出自：H. Maundrell
- fail的基本意思是“失败”,指在从事某项工作时未能达到预定的目的,常常强调做了,但是没有成功; 还可指由于某事未能在头脑里形成深刻的印象或其他原因而将某事“忘记”。fail引申可指“不足,短缺,缺乏”“衰退,衰弱”“破产”“辜负”等。
- fail是表示否定意义的动词,与否定词搭配即变成肯定句。例如:Don't fail to ring me up.一定要给我打电话。
- 有些语言学家,认为应将fail in v -ing改为fail to- v 。所以学习者还是不使用fail in v -ing形式为妥。
- fail常用于without fail句型,表示“一定,必定,肯定”。
- fail, miss
这两个词都可以作“不成”解。其区别在于:miss通常要搭用动名词短语; 而fail通常要搭用动词不定式。例如:The squirrel was lucky that it missed being caught.那个松鼠很幸运,恰好没有被抓住。I have failed to catch the train.我没有搭上那班火车。
- John failed to pass the examination.
- John failed in the examination.
- John failed the examination.
- Mr. Hansen failed to come this morning.
- Mr. Hansen didn't come this morning.
误 He failed following our advice.
正 He failed to follow our advice.
误 Though he didn't say a word, at heart he felt he was failed.
正 Though he didn't say a word, at heart he felt he had failed.
误 I've failed to everything I've tried.
误 I've failed from everything I've tried.
正 I've failed (in) everything I've tried.
析 fail表示“在…方面失败”时可以用作及物动词,其后不用任何介词; 也可用作不及物动词,其后一般接介词in,不接to或from。
误 I shall bring you that book without failure.
误 I shall bring you that book without a fail.
正 I shall bring you that book without fail.
析 without fail是固定搭配,意为“一定,肯定”, fail前无冠词。
- ☆ 1200年左右进英入语，直接源自古法语的falir，意为失败，不足；最初源自拉丁语的fallere，意为欺骗，失望。
- fail:fail vi. 失败, 不及格, 忘记vt. 使失望, 舍弃, 辜负, 不及格n. 不及格, 不及格者 英英解释:动词fail:1. fail to do something; leave some…