- vi. 发生,举行,存在 happen; take place; exist
- vi. 被发现,想到〔起〕 be found; come into one's mind
- come to pass;
"What is happening?"
"The meeting took place off without an incidence"
"Nothing occurred that seemed important"
- come to one's mind; suggest itself;
"It occurred to me that we should hire another secretary"
"A great idea then came to her"
- to be found to exist;
"sexism occurs in many workplaces"
"precious stones occur in a large area in Brazil"
- That plane crash occurred only minutes after take-off.
- A connection error might occur.
- Didn't it occur to you that he was lying?
Such a thing hardly ever occurs.
A leap-year occurs at every four years.
His birthday occurs on 9th May.
It occurs more often in women than in men.
The explosion occurred during an exercise near the town.
These plants occur only in tropics.
That sound doesn't occur in his language so it's difficult for him to pronounce.
Misprints occur on every page.
The word “gratitude” did not occur on Napoleon's personal dictionary.
Few metals occur free.
Silver occurs natural.
- occur to (v.+prep.)
…发生在 happen to sb (especially of unpleasant events) occur to sb
I hope no accident has occurred to him.我希望他没出什么事。
被想起〔到〕 come to mind of (sb/sth) occur to sb/sth
Such a simple explanation never occurred to me!我从未想到如此简单的解释。
A wonderful idea occurred to him.他突然想到一个妙主意。
As soon as that thought occurred to him, he felt worse.一想到那一点,他的心情就变糟。
It occurred to my mind.我当时想到了这件事。
His name did not occur to my memory.我当时没有想起他的名字。It ～s/ed+to sb+to-v/that-clause
Didn't it occur to you to close the window?难道你没有想到去关窗户吗?
Didn't it occur to you to phone them about it?关于这件事你难道就没想到给他们打个电话?
It occurred to him to tell the colonel of the problem.他想起要告诉上校那个问题。
It never occurred to me not to endeavor to do so; I was politically minded by nature.我从来没有想到过要打退堂鼓,我天生就是搞政治的。
It occurs to me that example is always more efficacious than precept.我想到身教重于言教。
Has it ever occurred to you that this old book might be of great value?你想到没有,这本旧书或许有很大的价值?
It never occurs to me that he was only acting a part.我从来没有想到,他只是在弄虚作假。
It never occurred to me that I had seen her before somewhere.我想不起来以前我在哪儿见过她。
Did it occur to him that lookers-on see most of the game?他可曾想到旁观者清吗?
It occurred to me that I had left the door unlocked.我忽然想起来忘了锁门了。
It occurred to her that she might adopt a homeless child.她可能想收养一个无家可归的孩子。
It occurred to him that he hadn't eaten anything since the night before.他想起他自前天晚上以来一点东西没吃。
It never occurred to me for a moment you meant that.我一点儿也没想到你是这个意思。
- …发生在 happen to sb (especially of unpleasant events) occur to sb
That she consented to the novel proposition..was apparent by what occurred a little later.出自：T. Hardy
The death of a child is one of the most disturbing..events that can occur.出自：D. Judd
The bombing attack was to occur on July 25.出自：P. Fussell
It occurred to me to visit my teacher.
- occur, happen, take place
这三者均可作“发生”解。它们的区别是:1.happen和occur往往表示事情的发生带有偶然性, happen是一般用语, occur是较正式用语; take place常指按计划“发生”。例如:The explosion happened〔occurred〕 during an exercise near the town.在离市镇不远的地方演习时发生了爆炸。The talk is scheduled to take place tomorrow morning at eight o'clock.预定明早8时举行会谈。2.当表示具体事情的名词作主语时,用happen和occur都可,如果不是表示具体事情的词则多用happen。在否定句里一般用occur。例如:These events happened〔occured〕 last year.这些事是去年发生的。What happened after I left?我走后发生了什么事情?It didn't occur to him to ask for help.他没想到请别人帮忙。
- occur happen take place
- occur:occur指“发生”时可与 happen 换用，但后接to sb．／sth．时，两者含义不同：；occur to sb．／sth． 指“某种思想等呈现于某人的知觉中”。
- Didn’t it occur to you to phone them about it?
- happen:happen指“偶然发生”时，主语为“事”；当主语是“人”时，意为“碰巧”。happen to sb．／sth． 指不好的事情发生在某人（物）身上。
- He happened to know the place.
- take place:take place表示“发生”，可与 happen 或occur换用，但其后面一般不接 to sb．／sth．结构；指必然会发生的事情时，多用 take place；此外take place 还可表示“举行某种活动”。
- In 1919, the May 4th Movement took place in China.
误 It occurred me suddenly that I had not handed in my paper.
正 It occurred to me that I had not handed in my paper.
析 occur是不及物动词,后面不能直接接宾语,表示“…被某人想起”,应该用It occurs〔occurred〕 to sb 结构。另外, occur也不与suddenly连用。
误 Do you think there will occur a World War III?
正 Do you think there will be a World War III?
错句：often a quarrel is occurred because of the water shortage.
纠正：often a quarrel occurs because of the water shortage.
- ☆ 1520年左右进入英语，直接源自中世纪法语的occurrer；最初源自拉丁语的occurrere：ob 对(着，相反） + currere (跑），意为跑上前去，反方向跑，降临。
- occur:occur vi. 发生, 出现 英英解释:动词occur:1. come to pass同义词：happen, hap, go on, pass off, pass, fall out, come…