- vi. 发生 occur by chance
- vi. 碰巧,恰巧 chance; have the good or bad fortune
- vi. 偶然发现 find by chance
come to pass;
"What is happening?"
"The meeting took place off without an incidence"
"Nothing occurred that seemed important"
happen, occur, or be the case in the course of events or by chance;
"It happens that today is my birthday"
"These things befell"
chance to be or do something, without intention or causation;
"I happen to have just what you need!"
come into being; become reality;
"Her dream really materialized"
come upon, as if by accident; meet with;
"We find this idea in Plato"
"I happened upon the most wonderful bakery not very far from here"
"She chanced upon an interesting book in the bookstore the other day"
- The accident happened at six o'clock.
- It is impossible to anticipate when it will happen.
- I happened to see her yesterday.
- I happen to have the official statistics with me.
- I tremble at the thought of what may happen.
- I happened on just the thing I'd been looking for.
- It happened under my eyes.
- How did this happen?
- The accident happened at three o'clock.
- A crowd soon collected at the crossroad to see what had happened.
- Who can foretell what will happen to the world in 1000 year's time?
- A near-total news blockout kept the outside world guessing as to what was really happening at the summit.
- It's impossible to anticipate when it will happen.
- She exclaimed that she would not allow that to happen.
- Try to describe exactly what happened before the accident.
- If you happened to be in town, would you ask about it?
- You happened to be out when I came to your house.
- He happened to be going that way too.
- She happened to have just finished reading the book.
- Do you happen to know her telephone number?
- If you happen to see Miss Yang, please tell her to come to my office after supper.
- There happened to be a severe drought that year.
- It happens that his elder sister is a close friend of mine.
- It happened that the harvest was bad that year.
- It so happened that I had no money with me.
- It so happened that he had to be present at a meeting.
- as it happens〔happened〕
碰巧 by chance
- happen along (v.+adv.)
出现 arrive by chance
She happened along just as we were about to leave.
Guess who happened along while I was waiting for the bus.
You were obviously annoyed that the child had happened along.
- happen on〔upon〕 (v.+prep.)
巧遇,偶然发现 find or meet by chance
happen on〔upon〕 sb/sth
I happened on John in the park.
We happened on an old country inn, and stopped to have a meal.
The children happened on a charming little stream near the camp.
He happened upon the perfect solution to the problem just as he was about to give up his research.
- happen to (v.+prep.)
发生在…身上 (of an event) take place and have an effect on
happen to sb/sth
The boy is crying.What has happened to him?
If anything should happen to you, follow my advice.
The brakes failed.Has that ever happened to you?
What happened to him next?
Be careful; don't let anything happen to that child.
A bad accident happened to that family.
What has happened to your hand?
If anything happens to the machine, please let me know.
- whatever happens〔happen what may〕
无论发生什么 not care anything occur
- happen again 再次发生
- happen commonly 通常发生
- happen easily 容易发生
- happen frequently 经常发生
- happen historically 在历史上发生
- happen lately 最近发生
- happen logically 合乎逻辑地发生
- happen mysteriously 神秘地偶然发生
- happen opportunely 恰好出现
- happen promptly 很快地发生
- happen spontaneously 自发
- happen subsequently 随后发生
- happen usually 通常发生
- happen along 偶然出现,碰巧来到
- happen in with 偶然和…碰见
If anything happens to me, recollect that death is a debt we must all pay.出自： H. Nelson
No harm shall happen you.出自： E. S. Barrett
When we crossed into Gael, an interesting thing happened.出自： G. Vidal
I'm not someone who makes miracles happen.出自： P. Roth
- happen是不及物动词,作“发生”解时,可指偶然的事故,也可指有计划或无计划发生的事。一般以事件、环境、形势等作主语,表示“某人发生某事”时,须以介词to 引出“某人”。作“碰巧”解时,其后须接动词不定式构成复合谓语,可由人称代词或无人称代词it作主语。与if连用则可使语气委婉。
- happen to sb, happen with sb
- 这两者都是“某人发生了某事”的意思,前者可指坏事,也可指好事; 而后者多指坏事。试比较:
- What's happened to her?
- What's happened with her?
- happen, occur, take place
- 1.happen和occur往往表示事情的发生带有偶然性, happen是一般用语, occur是较正式用语; take place常指按计划“发生”。例如:
- The explosion happened〔occurred〕 during an exercise near the town.在离市镇不远的地方演习时发生了爆炸。
- The talk is scheduled to take place tomorrow morning at eight o'clock.预定明早8时举行会谈。
- These events happened〔occured〕 last year.这些事是去年发生的。
- What happened after I left?我走后发生了什么事情?
- It didn't occur to him to ask for help.他没想到请别人帮忙。
- It happens that I am there.
- It so happens that I am there.
- 第1句中的it是形式主语,第2句中的it是第三人称代词,相当于the thing。
- ☆ 直接源自中古英语的happenen，意为机缘，偶然发生。