- 一对动物或鸟 交配
- 使 … 配对
- 使 … 一致
- [C]伙伴,同事 a friend or person one works with
- [C]配偶,伴侣 one of a male-female pair, usually of animals
- [C](商船上的)大副 (not in the navy) a ship's officer next in rank below the captain
- vt. & vi. 交配 (of birds or animals) to unite for the purpose of having sexual intercourse, producing young
- the officer below the master on a commercial ship
- a fellow member of a team;
"it was his first start against his former teammates"
- the partner of an animal (especially a sexual partner);
"he loved the mare and all her mates"
"camels hate leaving their mates"
- a person's partner in marriage
- an exact duplicate;
"when a match is found an entry is made in the notebook"
- one of a pair;
"he lost the mate to his shoe"
"one eye was blue but its fellow was brown"
- South American holly; leaves used in making a drink like tea
- informal term for a friend of the same sex
- South American tea-like drink made from leaves of a South American holly called mate
- a chess move constituting an inescapable and indefensible attack on the opponent's king
- engage in sexual intercourse;
"Birds mate in the Spring"
- bring two objects, ideas, or people together;
"This fact is coupled to the other one"
"Matchmaker, can you match my daughter with a nice young man?"
"The student was paired with a partner for collaboration on the project"
- place an opponent's king under an attack from which it cannot escape and thus ending the game;
"Kasparov checkmated his opponent after only a few moves"
- I thought she was an ideal mate.
- The eagle mourned for his dead mate.
- Who is your best mate at Liverpool?
- I'd come with my office mate.
- It's high time to mate the doves.
- He mated words with deeds.
- Many animals mate in the spring.
Her mates are waiting for her by the gate.
He is a mate of mine.
The male hunts for food while his mate guards the nest.
She has been a faithful mate to him.
The mate is one rank below the captain.
“What time is it, mate?”
Birds mate in the spring.
The zoo camels have not mated this year.
It is often difficult to get animals to mate in captivity.
I don't want to mate such a person.
They mate the Zoo's pandas.
- mate with (v.+prep.)
(使); 与…交配 (especially of animals) to (cause to) be joined in sexual union mate with sb/sth
They don't mate with each other.它们彼此不交配。
Dogs do not mate with cats.狗和猫不交配。
The queen bee is likely to mate with two or three drones.后蜂可能会与两三只雄蜂交配。mate sth with sth
They mated a horse with a donkey.他们使一匹马和一头驴交配。
Farmers keep trying to produce better cattle by mating their strongest bulls with their healthiest cows.农民们一直在想让最壮的公牛和最健康的母牛交配以生产更好的牛。
- (使); 与…交配 (especially of animals) to (cause to) be joined in sexual union mate with sb/sth
- faithful〔lifelong〕 mate 忠实〔终身〕的伴侣
- running mate 同组的马,〈美〉竞选伙伴,亲密的伙伴
- the first〔second, third〕 mate 大〔二,三〕副
- the fit mates 适合的配偶
- the mate of〔to〕 sth 与某物相配对的东西
- mate a donkey 使驴交配
- mate well 啮合紧密
- mate with 与…交配
She expected to see two of his mates but no, the men were strangers.出自：P. Barker
I was with my mate, John's brother.ssplaymatess, ssrunning matess, ssschoolmatess, etc.出自：New Society
It was like trying to make a move at chess when you were already mated.出自：G. Orwell
In speed His galley mates the flying steed.出自：Sir W. Scott
- mate用作名词的意思是“伙伴”,转化为动词意思是“结伙伴; 成配偶”,用于动物时,常作“交尾”“交配”解。
- ☆ 直接源自中古英语的tame，意为同伴。
- mate:mate n. 配偶, 对手, 助手vt. 使配对, 使一致, 结伴vi. 成配偶, 紧密配合习惯用语go mates with 成为...的伙伴; 与...合伙…