- v. 比较；对比；比喻
- n. 比较；对照
- 比得上，不亚于，匹敌 ；可跟…相比
- vt. & vi. 比较,对照 show or find out in what ways two or more things are like each other or are different from each other
qualities that are comparable;
"no comparison between the two books"
examine and note the similarities or differences of;
"John compared his haircut to his friend's"
"We compared notes after we had both seen the movie"
"This car does not compare with our line of Mercedes"
consider or describe as similar, equal, or analogous;
"We can compare the Han dynasty to the Romans"
"You cannot equate success in financial matters with greed"
to form the comparative or superlative form on an adjective or adverb
- I compared the copy with the original, but there was not much difference.
- The police compared the suspect's fingerprints with those found at the crime scene.
- Life is poetically compared to the morning dew.
- She is lovely beyond compare.
- Compare respirations and breath sounds with previous findings.
- Compare your answers with those at the back of the book to see if they are right.
- It is hard to compare.
- After comparing notes we found that we had the same opinion of his work.
- Let's compare A and C.
- Mother and Mrs.Parket like to compare notes about cooking.
- Compare the two translations and comment on them.
- He compared the two chairs before he decided which one to buy.
- The results have been carefully checked and compared.
- The quality of these two coats cannot be compared.
- Compared with French,English is easy.
- Compared with what he had already, the new stamps were not very interesting.
- compare to (v.+prep.)
与…相比 examine, judge to what extent persons or things are similar or different
- compare with (v.+prep.)
比得上,可与…相比 be regarded as being like or equal to (sth/sb)
compare with sth
How does your new house compare with your old one?
Does his latest book compare with his first?
他的最近一本书能跟他第一本相比吗?compare sb/sth with sb/sth
Compare this with that, and you'll see which is better.
Compare this real leather with that imitated leather.
Compare your answers with those at the back of the book to see if they are right.
He began to compare himself with the workers.
If you compare Duff's work with Tom's you will find many differences.
My knowledge is not to be compared with yours.
我的知识不能与你的相比。compare with sb/sth
Our machines compared favourably with the world-advanced standards.
Cast iron cannot compare with steel in strength.
Nothing can compare with wool for warmth.
Few writers can compare with Lu Hsun in his integrity and bravery.
The scenery of Guilin cannot compare with that of Yangshuo.
- compare advantageously 比…好
- compare certainly 比…好
- compare disadvantageously 比…差
- compare entirely 全面地比较
- compare favourably 比…好
- compare poorly 比…差
- compare unfavourably 比…差
It is hardly complimentary to Parrot, an undeniably handsome bird, to compare my grandson to him.出自： R. Graves
To fill his bags, and richesse to compare.出自： Spenser
compare with与compare to的区别:compare with 的意思是“把……跟……比较”，一般用于两个同类事物之间，着重区别。compare to的意思是“把……比作……看待”，一般用于两个不同性质的事物比较。
She compares me with my sister.
We may well compare the little girl to a kitten.
- 否定形式可表示为not to be compared with/to；
- compare together的表达中，together是多余的。
- compare to, compare with
- compare to和compare with都可作“与…比较”解,且在cannot compare结构中接with和to意思相同。其区别是：
- 1.compare with侧重把两个事物进行横向比较,求其共同之处或不同之处,且多用于具体事物; compare to侧重于把两个事物归纳到同一范围里去,以便突出其相同的属性,且多用于抽象事物。例如:
- Social life in a village cannot compare to〔with〕 that of a large city.
- 乡村的社交生活是不能与大城市的 社交生活相比拟的。
- The teacher compared my composition with another student's one.
- 老师把我的作文与另一个同学的作 文做了比较。
- Compared to many other women, she was really lucky.
- 2.表示“比喻,比作”的意思时,只能用compare to; 表示“比得上”时,只能用compare with。
- compare, collate, contrast, resemble
- compare意为“比较”,着重“相似之处”; contrast意为“对比”,着重“相异处”; collate表示“对照”,强调认真仔细,细致入微,常用于书报的校勘; resemble意为“类似”,着重强调视觉上感觉相像。例如:
- Compare these examples of Rembrandt's early and late styles.比较这些代表伦勃朗早期和晚期风格的作品。
- Collate a new edition with an earlier edition.将新版本与旧版本详细比较。
- I contrasted John's report card with Mary's to show him how poorly he was doing.我把约翰的成绩单同玛丽的作一下对比,以示他的成绩多么坏。
- That boy resembles his mother.那男孩酷似他的妈妈。
- compare with, contrast with
- 这两个短语意思并不相同,前者意为“可与…相比”; 后者意为“同…形成对比〔反差〕”。例如:
- Her actions contrasted sharply with her promises.她的行为和她的诺言形成了强烈的反差。
误 Dongdong can compare and Xiaohong in English.
正 Dongdong can compare with Xiaohong in English.你最好不要把两者进行比较。
误 You'd better not compare them each other.
正 You'd better not compare them with each other.
析 “比较”的两者间不能用and连接,也不能直接接each other,须用介词with连接。
- ☆ 14世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古法语的comperer；最初源自后期拉丁语的comparare，意为比较。