(often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent;
"a batch of letters"
"a deal of trouble"
"a lot of money"
"he made a mint on the stock market"
"see the rest of the winners in our huge passel of photos"
"it must have cost plenty"
"a slew of journalists"
"a wad of money"
as many or as much as a hat will hold
- Please go down the ladder and chuck up my hat.
- Do you think this hat and coat go together?
- The antique table went to the lady in the pink hat.
- His hat was whirled away by the wind.
- She cocked her hat at a jaunty angle.
- He jammed his hat on angrily arid went out.