- [U] 视力,视觉 ability to see; vision
- [U] 看见,瞥见 action of seeing sb/sth
- [U] 视域,眼界 range within which sb can see or sth can be seen
- [C] 情景,景象 thing to be seen, or worth seeing, especially sth remarkable
- [P] 风景,名胜 interesting buildings, places, features, etc. of a place or district
- [P] 瞄准器,观测器 device that one looks through to aim a rifle, etc. or to observe sth through a telescope, etc.
- vt. 看见,发现 get a view of, especially after a time of looking; see for the first time
- vt. & vi. (用仪器)瞄准〔观测,察看〕 aim or observe sth (by using a sight or sights)
- an instance of visual perception;
"the sight of his wife brought him back to reality"
"the train was an unexpected sight"
- anything that is seen;
"he was a familiar sight on the television"
"they went to Paris to see the sights"
- the ability to see; the visual faculty
- a range of mental vision;
"in his sight she could do no wrong"
- the range of vision;
"out of sight of land"
- the act of looking or seeing or observing;
"he tried to get a better view of it"
"his survey of the battlefield was limited"
- (often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent;
"a batch of letters"
"a deal of trouble"
"a lot of money"
"he made a mint on the stock market"
"see the rest of the winners in our huge passel of photos"
"it must have cost plenty"
"a slew of journalists"
"a wad of money"
- catch sight of; to perceive with the eyes;
"he caught sight of the king's men coming over the ridge"
- take aim by looking through the sights of a gun (or other device)
- I'm having laser treatment to improve my sight.
- The captain ordered us to shoot any strangers on sight.
- The train is still in sight.
- He saw some amazing sights at the zoo.
- The ghastly sight gave him the shudders.
- The hunter sighted carefully before firing his gun.
- After three days at sea, we sighted land.
- We like to sight stars with the telescope at night.
His sight is not very good.
His sense of hearing is poor but his sight is excellent.
She has good sight for a woman of 80, she never uses glasses.
It was my first sight of it.
I can't bear the sight of it.
As I looked through the book, several printing mistakes arrested my sight.
The sight of smoke alarmed the night porter.
The sight of the birds suggested the idea of flying machines.
The view burst upon our sight.
The sight of such desolation was burnt into his soul.
She saw some amazing sights at the zoo.
The sunset was a very beautiful sight.
What a sight you look in those old clothes!
The room is a sight.Clean it as soon as you are free.
One man who knows his area is a damn sight better than a truck load of documents.
I confess I wanted a sight of them too.
It cost him a sight of money.
I like the sights here.
I am seeing the sights of London.
She went out to see the sights of Shanghai.
The rifle has a new sight.
There are front and rear sights on the gun.
The hunter sighted carefully before firing his gun.
He sighted in on the hill with his compass.
Sight along the edge to see if it's straight.
After five days at sea, we sighted land.
Crewmen aboard the tanker sighted a ship in distress off the coast of Senegal.
He sighted a target.
He is sighting his camera.
Several rare birds have been sighted in this area.
- at (first) sight〔on sight〕
乍一看; 一看到…就 as soon as sb/sth is seen
At first sight the house appeared to be empty. 乍看起来,这房子似乎空无一人。
They fell in love as soon as they met, it was love at first sight. 他们一见面就坠入情网,真是一见钟情。
She can play music at sight. 她一见到乐谱就能演奏出来。
They were told to shoot looters on sight. 他们奉命见到打劫者立即射击。
- 乍一看; 一看到…就 as soon as sb/sth is seen
- at (the) sight of
一见到…(就) as soon as sb/sth is seen
His anger rose at the sight of the villain, but he calmed himself. 一见那个恶棍,他就火冒三丈,但还是使自己冷静了下来。
The dog didn't draw back at the sight of the strangers. 这狗看到这些陌生人并不后退。
She fainted at the sight of a tiger. 她一见到老虎就晕倒了。
At the sight of the snake, the girl drew back. 一看到蛇,那女孩就往后退缩。
- 一见到…(就) as soon as sb/sth is seen
- catch sight of
发现,突然看见 start seeing, or get a glimpse of
Finally he caught sight of the young man's light overcoat in the distance. 最后他总算在远处看见了那个年轻人穿的浅色外套。
- 发现,突然看见 start seeing, or get a glimpse of
- in〔into〕 sight
看得见,被见到 in one's range of vision, or in one's awareness
There was not a ship in sight. 看不到一艘船。
A change of wind brought the little boat into sight. 风向变了以后,那条小舟就清晰在望了。
Suddenly the leading car in the race burst into sight. 突然,比赛中的那辆领先的车出现了。
- 看得见,被见到 in one's range of vision, or in one's awareness
- in sb's sight〔the sight of〕
〈正〉在某人看来,依某人的意见 in sb's opinion or view
All men are equal in the sight of God. 上帝对所有人都一视同仁。
- 〈正〉在某人看来,依某人的意见 in sb's opinion or view
- keep in sight
看住… remain where one can see (sb/sth) keep sb/sth in sight
Follow that woman and keep her in sight all the time.要跟着那个女人,一直盯着她。
The aircraft climbed so rapidly that it was difficult to keep it in sight.飞机很快爬高,肉眼难以盯住。
了解到… remain aware of (sth) keep sth in sight
That is irrelevant; we must keep the main purpose of this meeting in sight.那毫不相干,我们要牢牢记住这次会议的主要目的。
- 看住… remain where one can see (sb/sth) keep sb/sth in sight
- keep sight of
- 看住… remain where one can see (sb/sth)The policeman asked me to keep sight of him.那个警察要我一直盯着他。
- 了解到… remain aware of (sth)You must keep sight of one fact; your life is in danger.有一件事你必须明白,你有生命危险。
- lose sight of
忽视; 忘记 overlook; fail to take account of; forget (an aim)Under no circumstances should we lose sight of our main objective.在任何情况下,我们都不能忘记自己的主要目标。
They lost sight of the reasons for which they went to war. 他们忽略了他们去打仗的原因。
He was so interested in the TV programme that he lost sight of the time. 他兴趣盎然地观看那个电视节目,竟连时间都忘了。
No matter how rich and famous he became, he never lost sight of the fact that he was born in the slums. 无论他已多么富有和出名,他从不忘记自己出生于贫民窟。
These grand schemes are all very well, but we mustn't lose sight of the fact that somebody has to pay for them. 这些宏伟的计划当然十分好,但我们别忘了,得有人要为它们出钱。
The reason for which they went to war was soon lost sight of. 他们卷入战争的理由很快就被遗忘了。
The importance of learning foreign languages must not be lost sight of. 学习外语的重要性一定不要忽视。
看不见 no longer be able to seeWe lost sight of him in the crowd.我们在人群里看不见他了。
The place was so crowded, we soon lost sight of him. 这地方人那么多,一会儿我们就看不见他了。
At a distance you lose sight of the town. 在远处,你看不见这个城市。
We soon lost sight of the boat in the dense fog. 我们很快就看不见那条淹没在浓雾中的船。
We watched the plane go higher and higher until we lost sight of it. 我们看着飞机越飞越高,直到看不见为止。
At last the islanders lost sight of the vessel. 最后,岛上的居民看不见那只船了。
In times of difficulty we must not lose sight of our achievements, must see the bright future and must pluck up our courage. 我们在困难的时候,要看到成绩,要看到光明,要提高我们的勇气。
The glider was soon lost sight of in the clouds. 滑翔机很快消失在云层里。
失去联系 lose touchI have lost sight of my old friend for many years.我已多年没有老友的音讯了。
We have lost sight of him since he went abroad . 在他出国以后,我们就失掉了联系。
I have lost sight of him entirely. 我和他完全失掉了联系。
- 忽视; 忘记 overlook; fail to take account of; forget (an aim)Under no circumstances should we lose sight of our main objective.在任何情况下,我们都不能忘记自己的主要目标。
- out of sight
看不见,在视野之外 outside sb's range of vision
Stay out of sight, she mustn't see us. 躲开,不可让她见到我们。
She stayed her tears until her lover was out of sight. 她忍住眼泪,直到她的爱人走远了看不见时,才哭了出来。
The piece of paper fell onto the surface of the river and drifted away out of sight. 这张纸掉到了河面上,漂走看不见了。
- 看不见,在视野之外 outside sb's range of vision
- sight unseen
事前未得以检查〔了解〕 without an opportunity for previous inspection or understanding
You should never buy a motorbike sight unseen. 买摩托车时,事前未检查可千万不要买。
I would be leery of committing my company to employ hundreds of Indian workers, sight and skill unseen. 在对几千名印度工人的技术情况事先还不了解时,我是不会随便让我的公司雇用他们的。
- 事前未得以检查〔了解〕 without an opportunity for previous inspection or understanding
- take a sight
用瞄准器〔观测器〕瞄准〔观测〕 aim or observe using a sight or sights
The coach told me to take a careful sight before firing. 教练叫我仔细瞄准再开火。
They took a sight with a compass. 他们用罗盘观测。
- 用瞄准器〔观测器〕瞄准〔观测〕 aim or observe using a sight or sights
- check one's sight 检查视力
- control one's sight 控制视力
- destroy sb's sight 毁坏某人的视力
- lose one's sight 失去视力,失明
- preserve one's sight 保持视力
- recover one's sight 恢复视力
- rely upon one's sight 依靠视力
- bear the sight of 看见…
- catch sight of 看到…
- come into sight 进入视野,出现
- fix one's sight on 把目光固定在…
- get sight of 看到,发现…
- get out of sight 看不见…
- hate the sight of 讨厌看到…
- have sight of 看见…
- keep sight of 将…保持在视线内
- lose sight of 看不到…
- make a sight of oneself 出洋相,使自己惹人注目
- miss the sight of 没看见…
- recover sight of 又看到…,又发现…
- see the sights of 游览…
- set one's sights high 有远大抱负
- stand the sight of 看见…
- take a sight at the sun 观测太阳
- far sight 远视
- good sight 视力好
- keen sight 敏锐的目光
- long sight 远视
- near sight 近视
- poor sight 视力差
- short sight 近视
- appalling sight 骇人听闻的景象
- beautiful sight 美景
- bright sight 一道靓丽的风景线
- common sight 常见的情景
- familiar sight 熟悉的情景
- frightening sight 可怕的情景
- front sight 正面
- funny sight 好笑的情景
- grand sight 壮观景色
- magnificent sight 壮观景色
- memorable sight 难忘的情景
- perfect sight 惹人注目
- pleasant sight 令人愉快的情景
- principal sights 主要名胜
- sorry sight 悲伤的情景
- telescopic sight 望远镜瞄准器
- terrible sight 可怕的情景〔场面〕
- ugly sight 丑恶的情景
- unexpected sight 出乎意外的景象
- play music at sight 见乐谱即演奏,视奏
- at first sight 乍一看,初看起来
- fall in love at first sight 一见钟情
- at (the) sight 一看见
- at the sight of sb's distress 一看到某人痛苦的样子
- faint at the sight of blood 一见血就昏倒
- beyond the sight 一望无际
- by sight 见过,见到
- know sb by sight 跟某人只是面熟
- for sb's sight 给某人看
- in sight 看见
- in sight of land 看见陆地
- on sight 一看见
- out of sight 看不见
- within sight 看见,在视线范围内
- sight carefully 仔细地瞄准
Palmers Green was still..rural and a..car a very rare sight.出自：F. Spalding
He..reloaded with a sharp, feathered pellet, sighted quickly..and fired.出自：G. Greene
Linear perspective was..a quality of the landscape..he was sighting.出自：M. Schapiro
He sights down the line of his extended pencil.出自：T. Mo
- sight用作名词的基本意思是“视力,视觉”,也可指“看见,瞥见”“视域,眼界”等,是不可数名词。引申可表示“情景,景象”,是可数名词; 还可指“风景,名胜”“(步枪等的)瞄准器,观测器”,常用于复数形式。
- a sight除了可用于表示“一处景象”或“一个瞄准器”之外,在口语中还可指“显得滑稽可笑的、不整洁的人或物”“非常,很多”等。作“非常,很多”解时,其后常接介词of。
- at (first) sight〔on sight〕 的意思是“乍一看,初看起来”; at the sight of的意思是“一见(就)”; catch sight of意思是“发现,突然看见”; lose sight of的意思是“忽视,忘记”“看不见”“失去联系”等; out of sight意思是“看不见,在视野之外”。
- at (first) sight, at (the) first sight of
这两个短语意思不同：前者意为“乍一看”,含义是“仅凭表面而未深入探究”, first前没有定冠词the,多位于句末; 后者意为“一见到…(就)”,强调两个动作的连续性, first前常有定冠词the,可置于句末,亦可置于句首。另外, at (the) sight of常可转换为as soon as引导的时间状语从句。例如:
- They fell in love at first sight.
- The little rabbit darted to its mother at the sight of a man.
- catch sight of, catch a sight of
- I caught sight of her hurrying away but I didn't try to speak to her.
- 我看见她匆忙地走开,但我并没有跟 她讲话。
- She caught a sight of me.
- in sight of, in the sight of
- We're in sight of land.
- The teacher told me to do what is right in the sight of me.
- sight, prospect, scene, scenery, view
这组词都有“景色”的意思。其区别是：1.prospect指从高处眺望所见到的景色,前景; scene指局部的、一眼可见全貌的风景或景色,不限于自然的风景,也常指(戏剧、电影、小说等的)场景、布景; scenery则指某一国家或某一地区的整体的自然风景; sight指眼见的景色,如供人游览之地的“景”或“景色”,尤指人工制成的景; view则主要指从高处俯视到的景色。例如:The prospect from the hill is yet more beautiful.从山上眺望风景更为美丽。The West Lake is remarkable for its scenery.西湖以其风景著名。The Great Wall is one of the most breath-taking sights in the world.长城是世界上最惊人的壮观景象之一。There is a lovely view from this window.从这个窗子可以看到一片秀丽的景色。2.view和scene所表达的景色都是scenery中的一部分,都可指眼里看到的每日自然的景色,但view是最一般的用语,而scene则是由“舞台场景”的意义引申而来的,用的少些。
- scene view sight scenery landscape
误 The train was soon out of the sight.
正 The train was soon out of sight.
析 out of sight意为“在视野之外,看不见”, sight前不用定冠词the。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的gesiht，意为看见事的物。
- sightless adj.无视力的；盲的‖sightly adj. 悦目的；好看的
- sight:sight n. 视力, 视觉, 见, 瞥见, 视域, 眼界 英英解释:名词sight:1. an instance of visual perception2. anything that is s…