- [U]许多,大量 very much
- [C]签;抽签 any of a set of objects of different sizes with different markings used for making a choice or decision by chance
- [U]命运;运气 fate;fortune
- [C]一块地,场地 an area of land
- (often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent;
"a batch of letters"
"a deal of trouble"
"a lot of money"
"he made a mint on the stock market"
"see the rest of the winners in our huge passel of photos"
"it must have cost plenty"
"a slew of journalists"
"a wad of money"
- a parcel of land having fixed boundaries;
"he bought a lot on the lake"
- an unofficial association of people or groups;
"the smart set goes there"
"they were an angry lot"
- your overall circumstances or condition in life (including everything that happens to you);
"whatever my fortune may be"
"deserved a better fate"
"has a happy lot"
"the luck of the Irish"
"a victim of circumstances"
"success that was her portion"
- anything (straws or pebbles etc.) taken or chosen at random;
"the luck of the draw"
"they drew lots for it"
- any collection in its entirety;
"she bought the whole caboodle"
- (Old Testament) nephew of Abraham; God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah but chose to spare Lot and his family who were told to flee without looking back at the destruction
- divide into lots, as of land, for example
- administer or bestow, as in small portions;
"administer critical remarks to everyone present"
"dole out some money"
"shell out pocket money for the children"
"deal a blow to someone"
"the machine dispenses soft drinks"
- It takes a lot of labor to build a railway.
- She had a lot of problems to contend with.
- The flood did a lot of damage to the crops.
- This firm prints a lot of musical and sports books.
- She was chosen by lot to represent us.
- They drew lots to decide which of them should go first.
- We worked hard to better the lot of the needy.
- He gardened the lot behind his house.
- Lot 99 is a pair of antique vases.
- The first lot of visitors has arrived.
- The next lot of young soldiers are to come up next week.
- I have several lots of essays to mark this weekend.
I've got a lot of work to do.
There are lots of children in the park.
There was lots of money in my wallet.
A lot of money has been wasted.
A lot of people have been ill.
He made that decision actually by drawing lots.
The lot fell upon me.
They are busy giving out two lots of pamphlets to people in the street.
This wine is no good but the next lot may be better.
They were a rather arrogant boring lot.
I care about you a lot.
She had a husband whose job took him away a lot.
We see a lot of him these days.
She is feeling a lot better.
The weather is a lot warmer there.
He eats lots more than he used to.
This is lots more interesting.
- man's lot 人类的命运
Each markt his lot, and cast it in, to Agamemnons caske.出自：G. Chapman
They now drew lots for the watches.出自：Tolkien
- lot的基本意思是“许多,大量”,在肯定句中常用于a lot of或lots of结构,可修饰可数名词,也可修饰不可数名词。其含意与many或much相同。当它们在句中与其他词一起作主语时,谓语动词应与其所修饰的名词或代词在数上保持一致。
- a lot不可作状语,修饰动词,表示数量上的“多”或“经常”。a lot和lots可用来修饰形容词或副词的比较级,表示程度。
- a lot of, a great deal of, many, a number of, lots of, many a, much
这组词(组)都表示“许多”的意思。其区别在于:many是普通用语,其后只能接可数名词复数; many a是书面用语,后接单数可数名词,当修饰主语时谓语动词要用单数形式; much是普通用语,是对量和程度而言的,只能修饰不可数名词; a number of可用来修可数名词复数; a lot of和lots of既可接可数名词,也可接不可数名词,多用于肯定句。a great deal of后接不可数名词,谓语动词用单数,且常用于肯定句中。例如:Man and the ape have many things in common.人和猿有许多共同之处。Many a man comes or goes.一个又一个的人来来去去。A number of people came to the meeting from all over the world.来自世界各地的许多人参加了这次会议。A lot of friends are thinking of emigrating.许多朋友正在考虑移民国外。There are lots of antiques shops in Australia now.现在澳大利亚有许许多多的古玩店。She's earned a great deal of money in the last few weeks.在最近几个星期内,她挣了大量的钱。
- destiny fate lot doom luck fortune
- ☆ 直接源自中古英语的holt，意为叉枝。
- LOT:line-of-travel sequence (US Postal Service routing method)line-of-travel序列(美国邮政服务路由方法)
- LOT:left occipito transverse枕左横
- lot:lot n. 签, 抽签, 一堆, 许多, 命运, 一块地, 份额vt. 划分vi. 抽签, 抓阄 英英解释:名词lot:1. (often followed by `of') a large num…