- adj. 静止的；不动的；静寂的
- adv. 更；仍然；静止地
- v. 使...平静下来
- n. 蒸馏器；寂静；定格照
- [P] 不动的; 静止的,无声的,寂静的 (almost) without movement or sound; quiet and calm
- 无风的 without wind
- 仍然,依旧,还是 up to and including the present time or the time mentioned
- 更,还要 in a greater amount or degree; even
- 尽管那样,然而,不过,虽然如此 in spite of that; nevertheless; even so
a static photograph (especially one taken from a movie and used for advertising purposes);
"he wanted some stills for a magazine ad"
(poetic) tranquil silence;
"the still of the night"
an apparatus used for the distillation of liquids; consists of a vessel in which a substance is vaporized by heat and a condenser where the vapor is condensed
a plant and works where alcoholic drinks are made by distillation
not in physical motion;
"the inertia of an object at rest"
marked by absence of sound;
"a silent house"
"soundless footsteps on the grass"
"the night was still"
(of a body of water) free from disturbance by heavy waves;
"a ribbon of sand between the angry sea and the placid bay"
"the quiet waters of a lagoon"
"a lake of tranquil blue water reflecting a tranquil blue sky"
"a smooth channel crossing"
"scarcely a ripple on the still water"
used of pictures; of a single or static photograph not presented so as to create the illusion of motion; or representing objects not capable of motion;
"a still photograph"
"Cezanne's still life of apples"
"a still wine"
"still mineral water"
free from noticeable current;
"a still pond"
"still waters run deep"
with reference to action or condition; without change, interruption, or cessation;
"it's still warm outside"
"will you still love me when we're old and grey?"
despite anything to the contrary (usually following a concession);
"although I'm a little afraid, however I'd like to try it"
"while we disliked each other, nevertheless we agreed"
"he was a stern yet fair master"
"granted that it is dangerous, all the same I still want to go"
to a greater degree or extent; used with comparisons;
"looked sick and felt even worse"
"an even (or still) more interesting problem"
"still another problem must be solved"
"a yet sadder tale"
without moving or making a sound;
"he sat still as a statue"
"time stood still"
"they waited stock-still outside the door"
"he couldn't hold still any longer"
make calm or still;
"quiet the dragons of worry and fear"
cause to be quiet or not talk;
"Please silence the children in the church!"
lessen the intensity of or calm;
"The news eased my conscience"
"still the fears"
- Beware of silent dog and still water.
- The room was still at the end of the speech.
- Although she felt ill, she still went to work.
- Although he is eighty,he is still very much alive.
- The whole world stood still righ there.
- The food stilled the baby's cries.
- It was a hot still airless day.
- How still everything is!
- Keep still while I fasten shoe.
- On Sunday the great flywheels of the power station are still.
- It was so still you could have heard a pin drop.
- The fish is still alive.
- I am sure she is not still studying.
- I'm still not sure what you mean.
- I still haven't heard from her.
- What are you still working?I thought you had gone home.
- I need you still.
- My mother has treated me badly, still, she's my mother.
- It is cold now, but it'll be still colder tonight.
- perfectly still 全然寂静
In the still of the night, when every one..were at rest.出自： E. Topsell
He was the only thing that broke up the still of the water.出自： T. Keneally
Beneath the ray Of the still moon.出自： Shelley
The dance is over, but she can't keep her feet still.出自： H. Caine
In the corner..so still that she was invisible at first sat a very old lady.出自： L. Durrell
We are..grateful that the guns are stilled.出自： A. E. Stevenson
Hugh stole mangoes..to still their hunger.出自： S. Wynter
The bartender stilled his cloth on the bar.出自： E. Welty
He tried to still the incessant chatter.出自： G. Sayer
Pain..powerful enough to still me into immobility.出自： M. Spufford
Time here had been standing still.出自： A. Moorehead
I can't sit still these days, I'm too nervous.出自： I. Murdoch
He groaned and lay still.出自： H. Secombe
Human beings never stand still,..nor do their relationships.出自： J. Trollope
- still用作副词时,意思是“还,仍旧,尚”。对想象中应该结束的动作或状态还在继续表示“惊讶”; 或是强调始于过去的动作或状态仍在继续,且含有“到目前为止”的意思,所以多用于一般现在时态和现在进行时态。still用在肯定句中,须放在助动词、情态动词后面,行为动词之前; still用在否定句中,须放在助动词和情态动词之前,当助动词是be时,把still放在助动词前面或后面都可以,有时还可放在直接宾语之后。still可修饰比较级,作“还要,更”解。
- still, calm, peaceful, quiet, silent
- 1.在修饰环境时各词所指的状态为:calm指风平浪静; peaceful指没有战争或骚乱; quiet指没有吵闹干扰; still指完全没有声音。例如:
- The sea was calm yesterday.昨天海水是平静的。
- Countries should settle their disputes by peaceful means.各国应通过和平手段解决他们的争端。
- Differences among them could have been reconciled by them through peaceful consultations.他们中间的分歧本来可以由他们和平协商调解。
- He had a bad headache and needed being quiet.他头疼得厉害,需要安静。
- Everything was deadly still.万籁俱寂。
- 2.在修饰人时:calm指人心平气和,毫不激动; peaceful表示“安详的”“温和的”; quiet指性情温和、安静等,有时也指人的闲散或不活动; still指“一动不动”; silent侧重“沉默”“不说话”,但不一定不动。例如:
- The teacher is peaceful when the student appeared.当这个学生出现时,这个老师很温和。
- We should keep quiet in the hospital.在医院里我们应该保持安静。
- His hands were never still.他的双手一刻也不停。
- We've been silent for too long. It's time to speak out.我们沉默得太久了,现在是大胆地发表意见的时候了。
- She sat silent in her own room.她在自己的房间里一动不动地坐着。
- still, already
- 这两个词意思相近,但already指比预想的时间早, still指比预想的时间长。试比较以下两个句子：
- The coffee is cold already.
- The coffee is still hot.
- still, yet
- 1.still表示某事还在继续; yet则表示某事尚未完成。
- 2.在肯定句中多用still; 在否定句中多用yet。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的stille，意为固定的，静止的；最初源自西日耳曼语的steljaz。