- vi. 由 ... 组成；构成；在于；符合
- vi. 由…组成〔构成〕 be made up of
- vi. 主要是 have as the chief or only element
"The problems dwell in the social injustices in this country"
have its essential character; be comprised or contained in; be embodied in;
"The payment consists in food"
"What does love consist in?"
be consistent in form, tenor, or character; be congruous;
"Desires are to be satisfied only so far as consists with an approved end"
be composed of;
"The land he conquered comprised several provinces"
"What does this dish consist of?"
- The United Kingdom consists of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
- How many players does a baseball team consist of?
- Matters consist of molecules, and molecules of atoms.
- The islands consist of oyster reefs covered with a thin veneer of black mud.
- The beauty of the plan consists in its simplicity.
- The beauty of Venice consists largely in the style of its ancient buildings.
- Health does not consist with intemperance.
- The report does not consist with the fact.
- Learning and personality do not always consist together.
- consist in (v.+prep.)
〈正〉以…为要素; 主要在于 make sth as its main part
consist in sth/v-ing
The beauty of this picture consists in its balance of colours.
Happiness consists in contentment.
The true wealth does not consist in what we have, but in what we are.
Happiness consists in serving the people whole-heartedly.
- consist of (v.+prep.)
由…组成〔构成〕; 包括 be made up of; be composed of; include
consist of sb/sth/v-ing
A football team consists of 11 players.
The House of Commons consisted of 658 members.
A week consists of seven days.
The book consists of nineteen chapters.
The United Kingdom consists of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
All bodies consist of molecules and molecules consist of atoms.
Man consists of soul and body.
The entire world consists of matter.
The material consists of eighty-five percent wool.
The atmosphere consists of more than 70% of nitrogen.
As my secretary, your duty consists of answering the calls.
I learned that the next entertainment would consist of a ballet entitled The Golden Harvest .
A chair consists of a seat with a back.
- consist with (v.+prep.)
〈正〉和…一致; 并存 be equal to
consist with sth
The politician's actions do not consist with the promises in his speeches.
Love does not consist with hate.
- consist most 主要在于
- consist only 仅仅在于
- consist chiefly 主要在于
- consist entirely 主要在于
- consist largely 大部分在于
- consist mainly 主要在于
- consist simply 仅仅在于
- consist together 一致
Moral government consists..in rewarding the righteous, and punishing the wicked.出自： S. Butler
Part of my unease about my cousin consisted in a fear that he would succeed in life and I would fail.出自： I. Murdoch
- consist还常与in, with连用。与in连用表示“以…为要素”“主要在于”; 与with连用表示“和…一致”“并存”。
consist of/in/with这三者各不相同：consist of 意为“由……组成，构成”。consist in意为“在于”或“存在于”。consist with意为“与……并存，或一致”。
Our group consists of five teachers.
Correct English consists in the correct use of words and phrases.
Theory should consist with pratice.
consist of 与contain的区别：consist of后面接全体的各部分。contain 后面接全体的一部分。但是在说到容量和重量的时候，两者意思相同。
The poem, which consists of ten paragraphs.
The poem,which contains two paragraphs of description.
A gallon consists of (或contains) four quarts.
- consist of, compose, comprise, constitute
- 1.compose多用于被动结构,其主语多为物质名词或集合名词; comprise和constitute既可用于主动结构,也可用于被动结构; consist of则不能用于被动结构,意思与被动结构的compose完全相同。
- ☆ 1520年左右进入英语，直接源自拉丁语的consistere：com(一起）+sistere(放置），意为坚决站在一起。