- 自由的; 不受约束的 able to act as one wants; not in prison or under anyone's control
- 免费的,无偿的 without payment of any kind; costing nothing
- 空闲的; 不忙的 not busy; without work or duty; having time to give attention to sb/sth
- [P]摆脱…的; 不受…影响的 without (sb/sth unwanted); safe from
- [P]大方的,慷慨的 ready to give; generous
- 免费地 without payment
- 自由地,无拘束地 in an uncontrolled manner
- vt. 免除; 释放 make free (from); get rid (of); set at liberty
- people who are free;
"the home of the free and the brave"
- able to act at will; not hampered; not under compulsion or restraint;
"a free port"
"a free country"
"I have an hour free"
"free of racism"
"feel free to stay as long as you wish"
"a free choice"
- unconstrained or not chemically bound in a molecule or not fixed and capable of relatively unrestricted motion;
"a free electron"
- costing nothing;
- not occupied or in use;
"a free locker"
"a free lane"
- not fixed in position;
"the detached shutter fell on him"
"he pulled his arm free and ran"
- not held in servitude;
"after the Civil War he was a free man"
- not taken up by scheduled activities;
"a free hour between classes"
"spare time on my hands"
- completely wanting or lacking;
"writing barren of insight"
"young recruits destitute of experience"
"innocent of literary merit"
"the sentence was devoid of meaning"
- not literal;
"a loose interpretation of what she had been told"
"a free translation of the poem"
- without restraint;
"cows in India are running loose"
- grant freedom to; free from confinement
- relieve from;
"Rid the house of pests"
- remove or force out from a position;
"The dentist dislodged the piece of food that had been stuck under my gums"
"He finally could free the legs of the earthquake victim who was buried in the rubble"
- grant relief or an exemption from a rule or requirement to;
"She exempted me from the exam"
- make (information) available for publication;
"release the list with the names of the prisoners"
- free from obligations or duties
- free or remove obstruction from;
"free a path across the cluttered floor"
- let off the hook;
"I absolve you from this responsibility"
- part with a possession or right;
"I am relinquishing my bedroom to the long-term house guest"
"resign a claim to the throne"
- release (gas or energy) as a result of a chemical reaction or physical decomposition
- make (assets) available;
"release the holdings in the dictator's bank account"
- The prisoners wish to be free again.
- As a freelancer, he has more free time to himself.
- This service is free of charge.
- Is the book for free or for a charge?
- A free flow of water came from the pipe.
- The hill is completely free from trees.
- He is free from any sense of responsibility.
- He spends all his free time on computer games.
- Friday afternoons are left free for revision.
- She is very free in discussing her personal problem.
- He requested that they free the hostages.
- Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves.
- They must free themselves from imperialist control.
- She is making a desperate bid to free herself from a loveless marriage.
- Relaxation exercises can free your body of tension.
- We freed time each week for a project meeting.
- The government has promised to free up more resources for education.
- Children under five usually travel free on trains.
- He made free with all his girl-friend's money.
- The driver had to be cut free from the wreckage of his car.
This is a free country.
He gave me free access to his valuable collection of scientific books.
Their quarrel developed into a free fight.
I have only one free evening every week.
Workers enjoy free medical care.
There is no rooms free in our hotel these days.
The goods will be sent to you postage free.
She lives there rent free.
I wish to live a life entirely free from trouble.
He is a man free from vulgar tastes.
Your son's manner is rather free in the presence of his teachers.
Are you free now?
The doctor will be free in ten minutes' time; can you wait that long?
I'll be free after Friday.
Is this seat free?
Are the drinks free?
His elderly parents are free from care.
The old lady is never free from pain.
He is always free in his talk.
This is free of cost〔charge〕.
She's been nothing but a nuisance; I'll be glad to be free of her when she leaves next week.
All our food products are completely free of artificial flavourings and colourings.
The ship was free of the harbour.
She's very free with her money.
He was very free with his money, it was soon gone.
He is very free with his time.
She is free with her teacher.
He was not free to choose his own career.
You are free to go or stay.
Do feel free to ask questions.
You are free to go anywhere you wish.
Everyone is free to express himself.
They loosed the prisoners' chains and set them free.
Please set the bird free.
The gallery is open free.
An evening show was arranged to admit free the family members of the workers.
Babies are allowed to travel free on buses.
Don't let the dog run free on the main road.
The children ran free across the meadow.
Two screws in this old wooden door have worked themselves free.
The window has stuck, but I pushed it hard and it swung free.
This movement overthrew the serf system and freed a million serfs and slaves.
I need to go out; can you free me for an hour?
The five slaves were freed.
They were freed yesterday by their kidnappers unharmed.
After five years' imprisonment, the convict was freed.
Giving up my job freed me to spend more time with the children.
Retiring early from his job freed him to join several local clubs.
- as free as the air〔wind, a bird〕
自由自在 completely free
Now that I've got my divorce I feel as free as a bird. 由于我已经离婚,我觉得自由自在了。
- 自由自在 completely free
- feel free
感到自由,无拘束 feel the lack of control or limitation
I feel so free without those tight clothes. 脱去这些紧身衣服我感到浑身轻快。
Who feels free to choose his own life? 谁能自由选择自己的生活呢?
〈非正〉随自己之意(做某事) regard oneself as welcome (to do sth)
Treat this house as your own, feel free. 把这所房子当作你自己的好了,随便一些。
- 感到自由,无拘束 feel the lack of control or limitation
- free and easy
不拘礼节的,自由自在的 lacking in too great seriousness and ceremony
The teacher was free and easy with his students. 老师跟学生们很随便。
She leads a free and easy sort of life and never troubles much about anything. 她过着逍遥自在的生活,从来不为任何事情烦心。
- 不拘礼节的,自由自在的 lacking in too great seriousness and ceremony
- free hand
不受约束 unrestricted authority to act
Roy is the expert so they gave him a free hand to sort out the problem. 罗伊是专家,因此他们让他可以自主地处理那个问题。
- 不受约束 unrestricted authority to act
- free translation
意译 approximate interpretation
Never mind the exact technical specification, just give us a free translation of what the machine can do. 别在意要有精确的技术说明,只要把那机器的作用给我们意译一下就可以了。
- 意译 approximate interpretation
- set free
释放 release set sb free
I think all caged birds should be set free.我认为所有关在笼里的鸟儿都应该放出去。
- 释放 release set sb free
- make free with
随意使用 use sth without respect or as if it is one's own
She's made free with my cigarettes during my absence. 我不在时她随意抽我的烟。
He has made free with the reading room after class. 课后他可以任意使用阅览室。
He made free with all his girlfriend's money. 他随便花女朋友的钱。
He won't lend anybody his equipment yet he's always ready to make free with my tool kit. 他不愿把他的器具借给任何人,但他却总是擅自使用我的工具箱。
- 随意使用 use sth without respect or as if it is one's own
- free from (v.+prep.)
(把…)从…释放出来; 使…摆脱 set (sth/sb) from (sth) free sb/sth from sth
Someone has freed the rats from their cages.有人把耗子从笼子里放了出来。
The girl asked her father to free the bird from the cage.那女孩请求她父亲把鸟从笼子里放出去。
We freed him from his financial obligations.我们使他摆脱了经济上的责任。
The United Nations are trying to free the world from the threat of war.联合国力图使世界免于战争的威胁。
He wanted to set up a country to free his people from hunger.他要建立一个国家使他的人民免于饥饿。用于 be ～ed 结构
That country is now freed from imperialist slavery.那个国家现已从帝国主义的奴役下解放出来。
He was freed from the jail.他从监狱里释放了。
Paul was put into the cell, his wrists were finally freed from handcuffs.保罗被关进单人牢房后,终于把手铐从他手腕上取了下来。
- (把…)从…释放出来; 使…摆脱 set (sth/sb) from (sth) free sb/sth from sth
- free of (v.+prep.)
摒除,打消… empty (one) of (sth such as thoughts) free oneself of sth
She can't free herself of the idea that someone's watching her all the time.她总以为有人一直在盯着她,竟无法摆脱这念头。
- 摒除,打消… empty (one) of (sth such as thoughts) free oneself of sth
- free access 自由进入
- free aid 慷慨的援助
- free choice 自由的选择
- free country 自由国家
- free goods 免征进口税的货物
- free press 新闻自由
- free speech 言论自由
- free ticket 免票
- free time 空余时间
- free translation 意译
- free wind 顺风
- a bit free 随便一点
- rather free 很放肆
- somewhat free 有点随便
- absolutely free 完全自由
- comparatively free 比较空
- completely free 完全自由
- free from 没有…的,不受…影响的
- free in one's talk 讲话太随便
- free of 免于…的,没有…的,不受…的,在…之外
- free with (讲话)直爽坦白,对…随便,随意,擅用
- free absolutely 绝对地解放
- free completely 完全地自由
- free finally 最终解放
- free gladly 很高兴地释放
- free happily 很高兴释放
- free independently 使…独立地解放
- free irrepressibly 无法控制地解放
- free luckily 很幸运地释放
- free unaccountably 无责任地释放
- free unbelievably 不可相信地释放
- free unconditionally 无条件地解放
- free unexpectedly 不可盼望地释放
- free utterly 完全地自由
Sympathy not only for free Greeks, but for barbarians and slaves.出自：B. Russell
She wanted to be an artist and a free woman, refusing to be called 'Mrs'.出自：Country Life
Who..free from Conscience, is a slave to Fame.出自：fig.
Then he freed one of these four men.出自：C. Kingsley
A philosophy which could free the mind from the power of abstractions.出自：B. Jowett
- free作“免费的,无偿的”“空闲的; 不忙的”解时,无比较级和最高级形式。
- free作“摆脱…的; 不受…影响的”“大方的,慷慨的”解时,只用作表语。
- free在句中可用作定语、表语或补语。用作定语时,一般后置,偶尔也可前置; 用作表语时,其后可接动词不定式,也可接from、in、of、with等引起的短语。
- free用作副词时有两个意思:一是指“免费地”; 二是指“自由地,无拘束地”。free引申可作“松,松弛”解。
- free作“使免除”解时,可用free sb of〔from〕 sth 结构。
- free from, free of
这两个短语都可作“没有…的”或“免于…的”解, free from用得更普遍。在danger, pain, trouble, difficulty, influence等词前惯用free from; 而在charge, rent, duty等词前惯用free of。例如:Not very many imports are free of all duty.全部免税的进口货不很多。He offered to supply her with another clock free of charge.他答应免费再提供她一只钟。另外, free of有时作“摆脱…”,“离开…”解。例如:They like living in a village, free of crowds and noise.他们喜欢住在乡村里,远离人群和噪音。
- It is free to you to do so.
- It is free for you to do so.
- free, freely
- Let one end of the rope hang free.
- Everyone can express himself freely at the meeting.
- You can travel free with this special ticket.
- You can travel freely to all parts of the country.
- free, emancipate, liberate
- free, release, relieve
这组词都有“解除”的意思。其区别是：free指使某人或某物从某种限制的情况下解脱出来或释放,后面常跟介词from或of。release指使某人或某物较为具体地摆脱某种限制、束缚或痛苦,例如:He released her arm.他放开了她的手臂。The missile was automatically released by the computer.这枚导弹是通过计算机自动发射的。relieve指解除不愉快的感情或负担等,例如:It will relieve them of a tremendous burden.这将给他们解除一个巨大的负担。I wanted to relieve myself of these duties as soon as possible.我想尽快从这些责任中解脱出来。
误 You are free going or staying.
正 You are free to go or to stay.
析 表示“自由地去干某事”,习惯上用be free to do sth。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的fero；最初源自原始日耳曼语的frijaz，意为自由的，没有束缚的。
- FREE:Forum for Rights to Electronic Expression (similar to EFF, India)论坛的权利(类似于电子表达的效率,印度)
- FREE:Fund for Renewable Energy and the Environment基金可再生能源和环境
- FREE:Forum for Responsible and Ethical E-Mail负责与伦理的邮件论坛
- free:英语解释free adj. 自由的, 大方的, 免费的, 免税的, 丰富的, 空闲的vt. 释放, 使自由adv. 自由地, 免费习惯用语for free [口]免费地, 无偿地get free 摆脱…