- vt. & vi. 开始; 着手 start; take the first step
Israeli statesman (born in Russia) who (as prime minister of Israel) negotiated a peace treaty with Anwar Sadat (then the president of Egypt) (1913-1992)
take the first step or steps in carrying out an action;
"We began working at dawn"
"Who will start?"
"Get working as soon as the sun rises!"
"The first tourists began to arrive in Cambodia"
"He began early in the day"
"Let's get down to work now"
have a beginning, in a temporal, spatial, or evaluative sense;
"The DMZ begins right over the hill"
"The second movement begins after the Allegro"
"Prices for these homes start at $250,000"
set in motion, cause to start;
"The U.S. started a war in the Middle East"
"The Iraqis began hostilities"
"begin a new chapter in your life"
begin to speak or say;
"Now listen, friends,"
be the first item or point, constitute the beginning or start, come first in a series;
"The number `one' begins the sequence"
"A terrible murder begins the novel"
"The convocation ceremony officially begins the semester"
have a beginning, of a temporal event;
"WW II began in 1939 when Hitler marched into Poland"
"The company's Asia tour begins next month"
have a beginning characterized in some specified way;
"The novel begins with a murder"
"My property begins with the three maple trees"
"Her day begins with a workout"
"The semester begins with a convocation ceremony"
begin an event that is implied and limited by the nature or inherent function of the direct object;
"begin a cigar"
"She started the soup while it was still hot"
"We started physics in 10th grade"
achieve or accomplish in the least degree, usually used in the negative;
"This economic measure doesn't even begin to deal with the problem of inflation"
"You cannot even begin to understand the problem we had to deal with during the war"
begin to speak, understand, read, and write a language;
"She began Russian at an early age"
"We started French in fourth grade"
- The meeting will begin at nine.
- I have to begin with an apology.
- When did you begin learning English?
- The leaves begin to fall when autumn comes.
- She's begun on a new novel.
- Let's begin.
- Are you sitting comfortably?Then I'll begin.
- The lecture will soon begin.
- The concert has already begun.
- The bell rings and the class begins.
- When did life on this earth begin?
- When does the film begin?
- When will the next term begin?
- The campaign had begun during his absence.
- Knowledge begins with practice.
- World War Ⅱ began in 1939 and ended in 1945.
- Rapid communication across the oceans by means of submarine telegraph cable began in 1855.
- Our trade with Africa began in the second century.
- The winter vacation begins in the middle of January.
- The flowers show begins next week.
- Work begins tomorrow.
- The girl made up her mind to begin again.
- You must begin afresh.
- The fishing season began most auspiciously.
- It is probable that the fatal disease began insidiously months ago.
- His new novel began serially in a magazine.
- That is where Africa's great rivers begin.
- The street began smoky and dark.
- Once the vice-chancellor of a university is inaugurated, he begins his term of office.
- Let's begin our class now.
- Don't begin the translation until you understand the original text thoroughly.
- He begins school today.
- We decided to begin the experiment in the evening.
- It's time to begin the meeting now.
- We think it better to begin work immediately.
- When did you begin this book?
- I began English last year.
- He who begins many things finishes nothing.
- Then they began a series of experiments.
- Have you begun your work yet?
- In June,1946, they began a new offensive.
- In August 1935, we began our march across the marshy grassland.1935
- To save customers' time, they began a delivery service.
- The plant began production last year.
- The conference began its second session.
- The children began to sing.
- He rose up and began to speak.
- They began to do the experiment last Monday.
- When did you begin to learn German?
- He began to learn Japanese three years ago.3
- He began to laugh.
- The child began to cry.
- The students began to read the text in chorus.
- The director began to tell me the plot in great detail.
- Around 700 A.D. Arabs began to colonize East Africa.
- After half an hour's overtime, the orchestra eventually began to play.
- Each delegation began to sing its own songs.
- As a result of our hard work, the production has begun to rise rapidly.
- When did you begin to think otherwise?
- The snow began to melt when the sun came out.
- The nuclear power station will begin to operate next year.
- These trees began to bear fruit in 1958.
- Around here apple trees began to be planted extensively in 1953.1953
- The river began to flood.
- His statement does not begin to answer the question.
- He can't begin to compete with you.
- They don't begin to compare.
- The word “gratitude” can not begin to describe my feelings and those of my family.
- There were certain aspects of the case that he did not begin to understand.
- I felt I didn't begin to understand him.
- She began to feel hungry.
- We began to see what he meant.
- Riding on a merry-go-round,I began to feel dizzy.
- She began to believe his story.
- I began to think that I would never succeed.
- He began to like novels at twenty.
- We are beginning to practise tennis.
- She was beginning to feel at ease.
- He was beginning to understand the seriousness of life.
- The paper was beginning to peel off the walls.
- It's beginning to get dark.
- When St. John went, it was beginning to snow.
- It's beginning to rain.
- This is beginning to get wearisome.
- The water is beginning to boil.
- The food was beginning to decay.
- The medicine is beginning to show its effect.
- This organization was begun a year ago by a group of young people from the factories nearby.
- We began mass-producing it shortly afterward.
- We at once began making preparations for the English party.
- We are beginning practising tennis.
- Today we began harvesting.
- They began building a dam.
- I will begin thinking on the matter tomorrow.
- When did you begin learning typewriting?
- He began eating an apple but he couldn't finish it.
- He seated himself in the boat and began rowing towards the other bank.
- There he left it and began walking eastward.
- She began working here in 1962.
- She began crying.
- She began walking up and down, her hands in her pockets.
- She rolled up her sleeves, and began unpacking the basket.
- At that moment, everybody began clapping.
- The writer began writing when he was a high school student.
- The hydro-electric station began generating electricity in 1960.1960
- It began raining when we got home.
- Returning home, he began writing a melody for it.
- Doctor Baker opened a book and began turning the pages.
- In this area, it begins raining usually in June.
- After a few minutes the telephone began ringing again.
- Computers have also begun serving agriculture.
- My heart suddenly began beating violently.
- A beginning beard faintly shadowed his chin and lean cheeks.
- We are to have four holidays, beginning today.
- They must submit such reports every two months, beginning this year.
- begin as (v.+prep.)
以(某职业)开始自己的生涯 start one's life work by being (a workman in a certain trade, etc.)
begin as sb/sth
Many important businessmen began as factory workers.
She began as an actress.
These clubs began as coffeehouses in the seventeenth century.
这些夜总会在17世纪时原来是咖啡馆。begin sth as sb/sth
She began her career as a sports reporter.
He began life as a newspaper reporter at the age of twenty-two.
We began this club as a way of raising money.
- begin at (v.+prep.)
从…开始 start from (sth)
begin at sth
In learning any language, to start with the classics is to begin at the wrong end.
They begin at the beginning.
Today we begin at page 30, line 12.
They went to school for nine years, beginning at the age of seven.
School begins at 8 o'clock.
The meeting will begin at seven o'clock.
The discussion began at three o'clock and ended at five.
The night shift begins at five o'clock.
The match will begin at nine o'clock.
The bidding began at $1000.
At an auction sale, the price of a beautiful vase began at fifty pounds, and reached eight hundred.
在一次拍卖中,一只漂亮的花瓶起价是50英镑,后来达到800英镑。begin sth at sth
He began Latin at the age of ten.
I begin my study at seven.
Father begins work at 8 every morning.
We'll begin the lecture at eight o'clock.
We shall begin the meeting at five.
They begin breakfast at seven.
- begin by (v.+prep.)
以…开始(说或做),先(说或做) start (talking or doing sth)
begin by v-ing
I must begin by telling you about the factory itself.
An experienced public speaker usually begins by arousing the audience's curiosity.
He began by pouring ridicule on the Whig leader.
They began by building blocks of flats for workers.
We began by making the simplist kind of weight measures.
The students usually begin by learning the progressive form and doing numerous drills on it.
He began by telling a tale of country life.
Father began by scolding me, saying that I was a bad boy.
He began by saying that he would not speak very long.
他先说他的讲话不长,尔后开始。begin sth by v-ing
The professor began his lecture by telling a joke.
The comedian began the show by telling a joke.
- begin on〔upon〕 (v.+prep.)
着手,开始从事(某事) start work on; start dealing with (sth)
begin on〔upon〕 sth
He's a very busy lawyer and has already begun on another case.
He began on a technical innovation two years ago but has made no progress so far.
He has begun on a new book.
Has he begun on another bottle?
He began on another new task last week.
The vacation begins on July 1st.7
The new term begins on Monday.
The conference will begin on Monday and end on Friday.
The measure will be applied gradually beginning on October 1.
In 1958 work began upon the second phase of the project.1958
Tom and his drinking companions began upon their third bottle in an hour.
The children began upon the chocolate biscuits.
- begin with (v.+prep.)
以…开始,从…开始 start with
begin with sb/sth
We will now hear the students read their poems, beginning with Tom.
We need the figures for the twelve months, beginning with February.
You should begin with this book.
The word begins with a vowel.
The Bible begins with the Genesis .《
The first word of a sentence should begin with a capital letter.
He began with entreaties and ended with a threat.
Let us begin with this song.
Let's begin with a story.
Let's begin with the first paragraph.
You may begin with English 900 .
We began with the third chapter.
He advised me to begin with something easy.
Which shall I begin with?
This book begins with a tale of country life.
The concert began with the national anthem.
My way is to begin with the beginning.
Knowledge begins with practice.
The ocean began with little drops of water.
Education, in the largest sense, begins with a man's birth, and does not end until he dies.
从最广泛的意义上说,教育从人一出生就开始,直到死才结束。begin sth with sth
It is very worrying to begin the day with bad news.
The teacher began his class with a question.
- to begin with
首先; 起初 at first
- begin a book 开始写书
- begin a course 读一门课
- begin a dynasty 开创朝代
- begin a new book 开始读一本新书
- begin a new business 开始从事一项新工作
- begin a new offensive 采取新的攻势
- begin class 开始上课
- begin English 开始学英语
- begin experiment 开始实验
- begin march 开始长征
- begin offensive 开始进攻
- begin production 开始生产
- begin school 开始上学
- begin service 开始服务
- begin the meeting 开始开会
- begin the world 开始谋生,踏入社会
- begin translations 开始翻译
- begin work 开始工作
- begin afresh 重新开始
- begin again 重做
- begin appealingly 有趣地开始
- begin argumentatively 在争辩中开始
- begin auspiciously 吉利地开始
- begin clumsily 笨拙地开始
- begin contemporaneously 同时开始
- begin earnestly 认真地开始
- begin ecstatically 入迷地开始
- begin euphemistically 委婉地开始
- begin eventually 终于开始
- begin hesitatingly 犹豫不决地开始
- begin immediately 马上开始
- begin insidiously 不知不觉地开始
- begin jerkily 紧急开始
- begin mechanically 机械地开始
- begin methodically 有条理地开始
- begin ostensibly 明显地开始
- begin rapturously 欢天喜地地开始
- begin resentfully 愤恨地开始
- begin romantically 浪漫地开始
- begin sarcastically 嘲讽地开始
- begin savagely 凶猛地开始
- begin serially 连续地开始
- begin seriously 认真地开始
- begin surreptitiously 秘密地开始
- begin wistfully 渴望开始
- begin zealously 积极地开始
Then began men to call upon the Name of the Lord.出自：Bible (AV): Genesis
My way is to begin with the beginning.出自： Byron
During dinner I began to get a headache.出自： E. O
The night I began to be born.出自： Day Lewis
He paused and then he began to speak carefully but casually.出自： G. Vidal
- to begin with作“首先,起初”解,用作插入语,可放在句首、句中,也可放在句末。
He will soon begin to write a novel.
She began to like novels at twenty.
I shall begin this book today.
I shall begin with this book today.
begin后一般不加from，且绝对不能接from ... to ...。习惯上begin at the beginning和begin from the beginning表达都很普遍，均指“从头开始”；
The journey begins from Shanghai.
The journey begins from Shanghai to Beijing.
The book began to be read (by him) last Sunday.
The book was begun (by him) to be read last Sunday.
这句话虽语法上无误，却不符习惯，因实际上begin to ...的结构是不能作被动语态的。
一般来说，表示持续动作的动词同表示时刻的词是不能一起使用的。如rain（下雨）是表示持续动作的动词，five o'clock是表示时刻的词语，两者不可搭配使用。不能说It rained at five o'clock. 可用begin去连接。
It began to rain at three o'clock.
I felt I did not begin to understand him.
Your suggestion does not begin to meet the difficulty.
Nothing has begun to interest her so much as folk music.
- begin和commence意思相似，但前者的使用比后者普遍，尤其是口语中。通常正式文字中，会使用commence，如commence hostilities（开始交战）和Hostilities commenced late that year。commence后多接动名词，较少接不定式，且多用在有意志的事上；
begin与start的比较：通常来说，begin同start基本上没有大区别。相对而言，begin较start要正式一些。不过在某些时候，人们习惯用start，如表示‘start a journey’（开始旅程）和‘start working’（开始工作）中，不用begin；
I began/started teaching when I was 24.
We will begin the meeting with a message from the President.
It's starting to rain.
The show begins next week.
- begin to-v, begin v-ing
- 1.begin后接动词不定式表示的动作可以是有意识或无意识的; 而begin后接动名词通常表示有意识的动作。例如:
- He began to pace the room.他开始在房里走来走去。
- When did you begin learning English?你什么时候开始学英语的?
- A cold wind began to blow〔blowing〕 as we stood on the deck of the ship.当我们站在船的甲板上时,一阵冷风开始吹了过来。(注意, wind和heart没有意志,但风吹和心脏的跳动都可被看作有意志的动作,所以可接动名词。)
- It's beginning to rain.天开始下雨了。
- He began to understand it.他开始明白了。
- 3.begin后接动词不定式时多强调新情况的发生,动作是否继续下去则不考虑; 接动名词时,对新动作本身注意较多,而且这动作还将持续一段时间。例如:
- He is beginning to look old.他看起来开始有点老了。
- They have begun building the house.他们已开始建造房子了。
- 4.当begin后接不能用于进行时态的动词(如see, feel等)时只能用动词不定式而不能用动名词。例如:
- She began to feel it.她开始感觉到它了。
- The novel began to be written last year.这小说去年开始写。
- She is beginning to learn English.她开始学习英语。
- begin by, begin with
- They began by saying a prayer.
- They began with a prayer.
- begin, commence, originate, start
- 5.begin是最常用语; commence多用于书面语; start则多用于口语。
- 6.originate作不及物动词时,表示“源自”“起始”“发起”等意思; 用作及物动词时,表示“创始”“发明”。
- begin, open
误 The journey begins from Beijing to Xi'an.
正 The journey begins at Beijing and ends at Xi'an.
误 The film has begun for half an hour.
正 The film has been on for half an hour.
误 It's time beginning the meeting.
正 It's time to begin the meeting.
析 习惯上,It's time后不跟begin的动名词形式。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的beginnan，意为开始，尝试，着手；最初源自该语的bi （成为） + ginnan （开，打开），意为开始。